• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

jurgen

Nintendo has always believed that art doesn't come from the technology you use, it comes from how you use it. It's been that way since forever.

I know that's what is said but it isn't always what's done in practice, especially over the past few console cycles. There are plenty of Nintendo titles where you can tell that they hit a wall in technology in being able to represent an art style to its fullest potential.

Maximo

For the price of a Switch, BotW, and Pro Controller, you could get a PS4 and most of the best games of the past 3 years. That's a problem.

Also pretty low resolution by modern standards, what is it 1280x720? That's lower than most smart phones.

Have you invented a new battery technology you could have given to Nintendo? One could complain about the screen quality but people are silly if they think the resolution should have been higher, the things battery would die in a hour or less, I have written the numerous problems with the device but the resolution itself is not one considering they already packed the best battery they could in the system.

Mezoly

No, it doesn't, specially since they aren't even using gorilla glass or anything.
The screen probably just costs 20$ at most.

Well the whole tablet form costs more. Look at the prices of Ipad minis and Android tablets and those have less powerful Gpu. You can't have PS4 level of graphics in a tablet form and expect it to costs less than $300.

asagami_

Banned
Let's ignore the fact that the console is soon going to be two gens behind in terms of power, it has a barebones and outdated OS and online infraestructure –that is going to be behind a paywall to boot–, it lacks and will lack any AAA port whatsoever and it has one real game that is also available on another console.

I'm sorry but thinking the saves is the most worrisome aspect out of that list is kind of delusional.

Be real now, how many years do you think this thing is going to survive with a few Nintendo games? When will they have the next Zelda ready? 2020? What's next after the Mario game? One RPG game?

Mass Effect, AC, Battlefield/front, KH3, RDR2, etc. None of these games will ever be on the Switch. Worst thing is, not even old games like Arkham Knight, FFXV or GTA V will ever be on the system either. What are the users going to play between Nintendo games? This time there's not even old ports of Arkham or CoD to alleviate the drought.

Indies and japanese games, like the 3DS library? Honestly, I don't expect many AAA western support (neither ports from old games, but some of them would be nice play just for the portable aspect). I know S-E is a japanese company, but FF XV is a game running in a proprietary engine, I don't expect the game reach to Switch. KH3 would be nice, I hope Switch receive a port even if it's a bit later.

It has nuke bomba writter all over it. All of the OS and pricing problems are nothing compared to the real problem: the ridiculously absurd outdated hardware.

Nintendo had everything to come back strong, all they had to do was making a future proof console with free online as powerful as the Scorpio or at least the PS4 Pro, put Zelda on it, have a lot of enhanced ports of succesful games like The Witcher 3 and GTA 5 and Wii U titles and on top of that, new releases like Mass Effect Andromeda and Nier.

The Switch is a handheld device, right now is not feasible or cheap create a handheld withe PS4 specs (maybe in 3-4 years). Even if is marketed as a console, this is only true in the Western. The shift in the narrative will change when the 3DS ends its life, or a Pokémon is announced. Whatever happen first.

Instead they went the gimmick route again, tried to milk users with overpriced 2012 hardware and accessories and hoped for the best. And the absolute best is going to be 20 million units lifetime.

They learned nothing and they dug their own grave.

Actually 20,000 million units would be nice. I don't expect the actual Switch reach 3DS numbers, but at least sell a lot more than Wii U and Game Cube.

fooish101

Here is what is holding me off of grabbing one currently:

Price, after you add in the cost of a pro controller, storage, it's quite an expensive console.

Games, having a Wii u, there is nothing in the launch window worth the price of admission.

I'm thinking I'll grab one down the line after a few quirks are worked out and an advanced version is released with a few games and proper system storage in a couple of years.

Ninja Dom

Nintendo should have waited untill fall and launch with Tegra x2/ all os features and apps.

It would be so much better

It would be even better if they launched in 2018, or 2019, or 2020.

Nintendo is a major corporation and they must bring in revenue and satisfy shareholders, whether we like it or not.

Jubenhimer

I know that's what is said but it isn't always what's done in practice, especially over the past few console cycles. There are plenty of Nintendo titles where you can tell that they hit a wall in technology in being able to represent an art style to its fullest potential.

Underpowered hardware is fine as long as it's good enough for what you intend to do with it. The Wii and Switch, were/are as powerful as Nintendo needed them to be. But the Wii U just wasn't good, even for what Nintendo wanted to do with it, but that was more due to the architecture used than the actual power. Specs are important, but far too many gamers overestimate how important the actual power of the machine is. In cases like this, simply having a good architecture and chipset matters a lot more than the raw power of the machine.

There are SO MANY THINGS WRONG with this console - inconceivably bad decisions and rushed software...

BUT Oh my word - I love it. It's like a flawed genius.

spekkeh

Banned
Nintendo, when it comes to parents and families choosing a games console to buy this Xmas.
I'd say a lack of third party support is a much bigger problem here. That said, the problem is about as big as the PS4 not being portable, meaning they have to get another system for travel.

The_Lump

Banned
Nintendo, when it comes to parents and families choosing a games console to buy this Xmas.

If we use this logic of new devices having to match current devices price, all console would be free by now.

It makes no sense. It's not a like for like product and expecting it to cost the same or less than the 4 year old competition is just silly.

Outside of Zelda being the greatest thing ever since Zelda... The Switch does look really lack luster... A lot of issues need to be ironed out and things sorted... It's so crazy that the company that made BOTW also made the Switch with its archaic friends codes still in place.

Glad I still have my Wii U to enjoy Nintendo's magnum opus.

Fat4all

Banned
Underpowered hardware is fine as long as it's good enough for what you intend to do with it.

That's true, but I was kinda hoping they'd take the Gameboy/GBC approach and make the main unit a bit cheaper while making more money off of the accessories and games being a bit more pricey than usual.

I feel like shipping the Switch without the base, making it completely optional, and charging $250 for the Switch instead would of been perfect, but the base is a mainstay for their marketing and promotion, so I dunno.

JonCha

Don't see how you can say they have failed when you have an incredibly well-reviewed Zelda as a launch title and a new Mario coming out later this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add things throughout the year.

Xando

I like my Switch but is pretty frustrating how backwards Nintendo is.

Their OS choices (saves, voice chat etc.) feel like they are 10 years behind the competition.

For the promise of a console (which is why i bought it) this thing is criminally underpowered and it's pretty disappointing not even zelda runs at a stable framerate.

In short it's the typical Nintendo console. Great games but very disappointing hardware design

Ninja Dom

The only thing I felt lacking is the inability to shutdown the device without pressing the power button.

You don't mean standby do you? You mean total power off?

Yeah quite a few electronic devices have total power off by using the power button like my 3DS, iPhone, iPad, televisions. My Mac can do total power off with a command though.

Raitaro

While "failed" may be a too strong of a term, I do agree with the OP that the Switch experience currently is hampered by lots of small and bigger niggles, oversights and problems.

I'd even add the following:
- no headphone jack on any of the controllers, not even the expensive pro controller (to allow for silent playing on TV, not even voice chat).
- no way to power down the system remotely, only sleep mode.
- syncing issues with lef joy-con due when putting the system behind a tv or next to other devices (which should be acceptable).

JayBabay

I have a Switch on the way, I don't know why it hasn't shipped yet (bought from Costco) but the Pro Controller should be here early next week. The points that the OP made are very valid and fair. I don't understand how, with multiple validated instances of these issues reported that people still choose to shy away from these issues. "I'm loving my Switch" is fine, but does that excuse attention from being brought onto the legitimate issues that have been presented? I was there through the Dualshock 4 controller issues with the rubber wearing off prematurely or the questioning of the build quality because the console rocked if pressed down on it at the top right corner. The controller issue has yet to affect me through years of using the controller but I accept that some people have different protocols to how they use and expect their devices to handle that use.

People, in those threads and these, that automatically attack the OP for attempting to bring these issues to light, either in one topic, or a culmination topic of all issues, are in the wrong. Right now it's the Switch that is suffering from those issues and they are more important to an enthusiast community. If you want to preface your reluctance in accepting those issues as trivial, than calmly state that you understand people are having issues but they don't bother you, even if it happens to you down the line or that it doesn't detract from your enjoyment. Maybe I'm OCD, I buy something once and maintain it like new expecting that I'm protecting something that is perfect when I buy it and I do my best to keep it in the most pristine state throughout my ownership. No one should have to worry about having inferior controller when they inevitably revise them in the near future; no one should have to be extra worried with how they dock or remove controllers from the console when its docked. We should have the best version of the console when we choose to support it from the getgo for one game. Which, yes, does apply to the majority of us.

picked up my switch last week...my only main issue is the complete lack of games ...its pretty much zelda or nothing....mario kart being 1 month later i really dont get but i guess we will wait and see

going to be interesting to see the splatoon beta in a couple of weeks

dealer-

All valid points OP and hard to argue with. I have to say I don't mind the barebones UI. It's nice to have a console you can just turn on and play. No signing in, no profile, no achievements. Very old school. I can see why that would be a turn off for many though.

Actually that seems to be the case with all new consoles though. Promising a lot of features, then when it launches its announced that all the features "will come out soon".

Yeah this is nothing new. You couldn't even access storage management and delete games when the Xbox One launched.

No, because Switch is a home console that is also portable.

Though if they do a 3DS follow-up that would hurt the Switch as a portable proposition and make it's design even more redundant for some people!

I don't understand how some fans don't get that spending two home console iterations chasing a portable tablet model isn't even innovative in the way Nintendo hardware usually is, and pushes the price way up.

O ok, thanks for the enlightened chat.

All characters come out the woodwork since 3rd march

I thought he was going to mention an elusive cohort of core gamers that don't have a primary means to play games.

Of course I meant Nintendo. We're talking about the merits and failures of their newly released device. It's not good business to offer a much lower value than your competitors. Yes I know it's portable, but so are smart phones, and as defenders of the App have said basically everyone has one anyway!

As someone who has little interest in the Switch. Did OP say anything wrong? Seems to have ruffled some feathers.

People on GAF are either apathetic towards Nintendo or support them vehemently. Ever notice a new topic for every conceivable question pertaining to Nintendo products and only a handful for Sony and MS products?

Gator86

Don't see how you can say they have failed when you have an incredibly well-reviewed Zelda as a launch title and a new Mario coming out later this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them add things throughout the year.

Not really weighing in either way, but is one good launch game and a second good game almost a year later supposed to be impressive somehow?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sad thing is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't 1 month away, it's technically 2 months away. The Switch came out on March 3 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out at the very end of April on the 28th.

Nintendo are really pushing Zelda. They have confidence that this game can move hardware on it's own and I think they want people to get the full experience before Mario Kart comes out and inevitably dominates people's playtime. It would be a shame for such an amazing game to be drowned out by a Mario Kart re-release.

Not really weighing in either way, but is one good launch game and a second good game almost a year later supposed to be impressive somehow?

Right, because ARMS, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2, etc do not exist.

spekkeh

Banned
Spekkeh was being deliberately obtuse. His question really shouldn't have merited an answer.
Sigh. I see you got this NeoGAF 'argumentation style' down well for a junior.

No I wasn't. The point is that to argue the price of an extra game will have a significant effect on people choosing a PS4 over a Switch, means to argue there is a significant cohort of people who have neither and will let the price of a single game determine their purchase choice. I will argue this cohort is comparatively tiny.

Nestunt

The screen adds a lot to the cost.

You know that does not mean anything right? What it counts is consumer perception and the post you quoted is what consumer perceives. Nintendo should have had that in consideration when evaluating before investment and how to position that same investment on the market.

If management and marketing were only defined by sales and costs everyone would be successful. You simply would have to do the math.

Bumhead

Banned
Sad thing is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't 1 month away, it's technically 2 months away. The Switch came out on March 3 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out at the very end of April on the 28th.

It's an odd one with Mario Kart 8.

It's what I'm waiting for despite playing a decent amount of it on Wii U. It's a classic multiplayer game for a system that supports and encourages multiplayer right out of the box (which to a degree is unique these days). It's also one of Nintendo's most transcending IP's in terms of reaching out beyond the usual gaming demographics.

I think I realise why it isn't at launch (Zelda and MK day 1 would cannibalise literally everything else) but it still feels like a misfire. Mario Kart on this machine makes so much sense it completely sells itself.

There are SO MANY THINGS WRONG with this console - inconceivably bad decisions and rushed software...

BUT Oh my word - I love it. It's like a flawed genius.

Yeah. I don't know. I fully realise there are plenty of things missing on the is level, but I guess it's hard to care with Zelda and Snipperclippers.

As somebody that a gaming pc, the idea behind a switch is much more compelling than a stationary, underpowered console. The first thing I did was unplug my Xbox One, and in part it's because I came to the realisation that Sony are servicing a certain market well, while just another home console is just going to seem, well, dull and uneccisery to most people.

Baleoce

I'm just glad other people are testing it out for me, since I took one for the team with the Wii U at launch last time around.

It'll be interesting to see what the situation is around fall, as I'm more likely to jump in around then.

Marvel

could never
I mean I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan but I was kinda curious, after this thread I am completely put off. Sounds like a disaster and a headache I do not want.

Also the cost of everything is a joke.

Bought a wii u at launch and that was a mistake too. Never again.

Mezoly

You know that does not mean anything right? What it counts is consumer perception and the post you quoted is what consumer perceives. Nintendo should have had that in consideration when evaluating before investment and how to position that same investment on the market.

If management and marketing were only defined by sales and costs everyone would be successful. You simply would have to do the math.

Sure. However, the consumer could perceive it as a gaming tablet that is it cheaper than an Ipad mini with controllers and connect to a TV. I'm still not sure how the mass market would react to it.

Another OS complaint I noticed is the fact that there are no more splash screens when you boot up a game. It's a relatively minor thing but the generic "Nintendo Switch" splash screen looks amateurish compared to the parchment and music when you boot up the Wii U version of Zelda

No I wasn't. The point is that to argue the price of an extra game will have a significant effect on people choosing a PS4 over a Switch, means to argue there is a significant cohort of people who have neither and will let the price of a single game determine their purchase choice. I will argue this cohort is comparatively tiny.

I'm not arguing just the game prices, you can get an X1 or PS4 with 1-3 games for $250 at any point in time. Compared to $300 for a Switch by itself. Add on to that that the game to get is Zelda--at $60--and most people say the Pro Controller is a must own--at what, $70?--the actual cost of investing in the platform is over $400. Outside of that there's a handful of other games and a bunch of expensive accessories. Compare that to the PS4 and X1, where you have a quite sizeable library of games, cheaper accessories, and a lower overall barrier to entry. Plus you're basically chosing between if you want to play Zelda on the go, or have a game console that doubles as a media center.

I just don't feel like there's enough value in the Switch. And that's a problem for Nintendo because I feel the number of people that want a portable system that can play Zelda is massively outweighed by the number of people who would rather play GTA and stream TV Shows.

MLH

It's a well thought out and reasonable OP.

I like the Switch so far, IMO it's Nintendo's best hardware they've ever made alongside NDSi. I want it to be successful but I do agree with the issues raised in the OP. Particularly with the OS + games. Everything feels so bare bones (not necessarily a bad thing - but where's the apps, why no streepass? why no activity log? why the fuck are friend codes still used!?
Like others have said: it feels like a soft launch. There shouldn't be an excuse for it, especially since they seemingly stopped developing Wii U games two years ago, what are all their developers doing?!
The only developer that's impressed me with their turnover time is Monolith Software, Xenoblade Chroncles X released in 2015, they've supported numerous other developers with other projects and shown Xenoblade 2 for switch, which looks quite far along. What have Retro Studios done since early 2014? Where is Pikmin 4?
I would have expected Pokemon and Monster Hunter announcements to really give the machine a solid base, but they've not bothered to tell anyone yet. Similarly SE has done a better job pushing DQXI on Switch when Nintendo seems to keep telling them to hush it before the initial reveal, and then doesn't even bother to bring SE up on stage or really show any sort of partnership/ support with them...
I want to know that when I buy a Switch it'll have a library like the DS and not end up like another Wii U - Start announcing things Nintendo - make it feel like a proper console and less like an experiment.

I don't particularly care for the Joycons, I feel they've attempted to do too much with them - a jack of all trades master of none.
I'm going to need a d-pad at some point & I would have preferred 3DS sliders for better portability - I'm terrified of breaking the analogue sticks due to them being so exposed, same issue I had with the Vita.
There's a IR camera sensor thing on the bottom of the right joycon, I assume to mimick a wii remote? When will that ever be used? Nintendo always manages to put too much stuff in their consoles, never simplifies (when did we use the IR port on the 3DS? It has WiFi!)
Finally, they're much too small to be ever used as 2 separate controllers - it's just not comfortable.
I would have preferred focus on comfort and portability - maybe a revision at some point.

Top Bottom