• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

Xe4

Banned
Can the market even take another console exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One? I guess we'll see with the Scorpio, but I feel like if you own an Xbox One then the PS4 is pretty irrelevant and Vice Versa.

I don't think anyone knows if the market is elastic enough for 3 regular consoles. Still, Nintendo doesn't need to be a regular console, just not have a higher price for less power. I think Nintendo should've taken a loss, and had it at $250, which could've made quite a bid of difference in sales.

We'll see when NPD comes out, though : )

spekkeh

Banned
For Nintendo, since anyone who's considering buying a new video game system is going to take that into account.
Which people buying a new video game system, was the question I intended to ask.

The people who own a PS4, Xbox one or PC? (No)
The people who want a Nintendo? (No)
The people who want third party games? (No)
The people who want an entertainment center? (No)
The people who want a handheld? (No)
Who's left?
Casuals who suddenly feel spurred to get a console now the Nintendo is in the news? Maybe. But one would say they'd be spurred to get a Switch.

Can you name a cohort and try to quantify its size?

Nintendo will always fail for me personally while they continue to make consoles that are third or fourth down the line of desirability compared to the competition. I'm just not going to buy a PC, a PS4 AND a Switch. Their consoles are for Nintendo die-hards only. If you didn't grow up with Nintendo and have that nostalgia, why/how would you ever become a Nintendo fan?

bennibop

The random left Joycon drops is ridiculous, no reason for it and happens constantly, seems to want to ignore my inputs and throw link of cliffs etc.

Nintendo will always fail for me personally while they continue to make consoles that are third or fourth down the line of desirability compared to the competition. I'm just not going to buy a PC, a PS4 AND a Switch. Their consoles are for Nintendo die-hards only. If you didn't grow up with Nintendo and have that nostalgia, why/how would you ever become a Nintendo fan?
The switch will replace the 3DS as the only dedicated handheld on the market and everything will be fine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Save data being totally locked to a specific unit is my single biggest complaint. That's gonna cause some rage. Not for me yet, as my unit seems good, but who knows in a year.

levyjl1988

Banned
The build quality of the Nintendo Switch is pretty shit.
I opened my Switch box and the tablet was put in a plastic bag. It's not like an apple product or most tablets where it had a nice plastic film to peel off. It was literally placed in a plastic bag. I noticed dust and microscratches on my screen and we are talking about brand new factory fresh. Are you fucking kidding me Nintendo. Regardless I'm gonna scalp this and wait until tomorrow for my Amazon package to come in. Hopefully with no defects this time. They really rushed this, otherwise I would be playing Zelda about now.

It's a damn shame, because Zelda BotW is apparently amazing.

Everything else about the console seems to have been designed to lack features, be expensive, be annoying, or cost an absurd amount, all on purpose.

Seems hyperbolic and you said it was designed to be expensive or cost and absurd amount... That actual hardware is pretty great outside some bugs that i have not first hand witnessed. Again, the title, not the substance of the op, of this thread is hyperbolic and is creating the fanboy wars.

I truly think the Switch is just as, if not more, innovative than any console ever made. I am fascinated by it and I really like mine. I think, however, that the screen scratching issues from the dock and the joycon issue are inexcusable and huge oversights by Nintendo but fully expect them to make good on both.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with most of your points, and I can only hope most of them are child diseases that will be fixed along the way by system updates etc.

I like the Switch as a concept and I want it to be as good as it should be.

brawly

Some of these early posts are just straight up embarrassing. OP makes valid points and people can't handle the criticism of their newest toy from their favorite corporation.

I'm glad I waited. They need to revise a lot of things before I consider getting one.

Gimmick
It's touted that the Switch comes with two controllers out of the box. Now that I and many of you have experienced it firsthand, there's no way it's more than a novelty. It's just not very comfortable nor is it practical for most games and it's even more frustrating that this was the reason Nintendo removed the d-pad. No one will ever be able to comfortably play a title like Splatoon 2 or Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers with a single Joy-Con. HD Rumble will go down as this generations power of the cloud; it's cool but forgettable.
I remember some podcast talking about the instant device to TV tech and how revolutionary it is on the Switch. They couldn't recall any other device that ever did that.

It's been a while since I played my Wii U before Zelda BotW so I don't remember what past games did it, but on Wii U BotW does the same thing that the Switch's whole gimmick is centered around. Actually even quicker cause all you have to do is tap the screen to go from TV to tablet instead of pulling it out of a thing. So the only difference between the Switch and the Wii U is that I can't take my Wii U outside, which I personally would never do anyway.

Dumping the D-pad feels like a betrayal of some sorts.

Jacce

Banned
I remember some podcast talking about the instant device to TV tech and how revolutionary it is on the Switch. They couldn't recall any other device that ever did that.

It's been a while since I played my Wii U before Zelda BotW so I don't remember what past games did it, but on Wii U BotW does the same thing that the Switch's whole gimmick is centered around. Actually even quicker cause all you have to do is tap the screen to go from TV to tablet instead of pulling it out of a thing. So the only difference between the Switch and the Wii U is that I can't take my Wii U outside, which I personally would never do anyway.

Dumping the D-pad feels like a betrayal of some sorts.
Switch is a native independent handheld device. The WiiU is a gigantic controller with a terrible screen in which a console tied to a tv must remain powered and rarely works once you leave the same room as the console. You have a controller that is massively larger than the Switch with a screen that is downright terrible in comparison. That requires running wirelessly from a console that must be powered and running. That you are tired into being basically in the same room as.

Switch is a full on handheld, you power it on, you switch games, you play wherever. You never even have to have anything ever plugged into a tv.

They are not even close to being comparable. WiiU wanted to be a Switch but failed in execution of a handheld/console hybrid.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Some of these early posts are just straight up embarrassing. OP makes valid points and people can't handle the criticism of their newest toy from their favorite corporation.

I'm glad I waited. They need to revise a lot of things before I consider getting one.

Eh, this happens with every single console release. A selection of very few people who like it take offense to it. Shouldn't be unexpected.

Kureransu

The market isn't big enough. PC has become more prominent with the support of Japanese publishers on the platform. I know the industry and a lot of games try to separate PC from console, but PC is really impacting console sales this gen. I said before these systems need their own identity. PS4 is pretty much PC gaming simplified/light (from an ease of use standpoint and price of entry). Which makes the xbone a third tier redundancy, especially when you can play most of their exclusives on PC (and some of Sony's exclusives).

The Scorpio needs to offer something more than just chasing visual fidelity and performance. In my opinion, it's going to be a backwards compatible next gen system, with the games made in a modular manner so that the one can also play the same game. But it's getting to the point where people can just buy a gaming PC if they want the best performer possible.

That said, the switch I think is a good idea in the sense that it has its own identity. Most people aren't going to care about the compromise of bleeding edge visuals for versatility. 300 bucks honestly isn't a steep adding price for what you're getting. People just like to compare raw power as a means to price.

EDIT: that title change lol!

Will it? The handheld crowd didn't want the 3DS at 250. Why should we think they'll bite at 300?
Cus it'll come down in price :p

They're not going to let ANOTHER console flounder again. Most of the positive impressions are coming from the handheld mode too.

Also... Pokemon. The moment the Switch gets an exclusive mainline Pokemon game, it has won. Bonus if it has had a price cut by then.

BumRush

Pretty cool to see how on point the moderation has been on GAF the last few days. Discussion is great, personal attacks not so much. And this applies to people from all viewpoints. Good job Mods.

Gurish

I think it's pretty simple really: if you look at the console as your next home console it sucks hard, if you look at it as your next handheld it's awesome, that's all there is to it.

Jacce

Banned
Will it? The handheld crowd didn't want the 3DS at 250. Why should we think they'll bite at 300?
Because it isn't replacing it today, but it will. That is absolutely the plan. They will likely release a smaller cheaper Switch aimed at the handheld only crowd.

Ignore Nintendo marketing, the actual developers are treating at as such. The Pokemon Company openly talking about mainline Pokémon games for it, EAD developers refer it to the handheld Zelda team developing for it and so on.

Switch is replacing the 3DS, there is no "4DS" coming.

JoeNut

The Switch is great and will do fine. the OS is clearly in beta and while I do think that's kind of unacceptable, Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

KEEP NINTENDO WEIRD. I don't want another Playstation, I have one already.
Exactly how I feel, anyone disappointed with the OS clearly didn't do any research before buying

Oxn

Because it isn't replacing it today, but it will. That is absolutely the plan. They will likely release a smaller cheaper Switch aimed at the handheld only crowd.

Ignore Nintendo marketing, the actual developers are treating at as such. The Pokemon Company openly talking about mainline Pokémon games for it, EAD developers refer it to the handheld Zelda team developing for it and so on.

So no more Nintendo Home COnsoles?

nampad

I think it's pretty simple really: if you look at the console as your next home console it sucks hard, if you look at it as your next handheld it's awesome, that's all there is to it.

Many of the questions the OP raised still hold true even if you consider it a handheld only device. OS and online feature wise, even the handheld portion is lacking.
It's the most powerful handheld on the market though.

Exactly how I feel, anyone disappointed with the OS clearly didn't do any research before buying

Because every customer has hours of time to sink into researching every detail about the OS while Nintendo barely published any information beforehand. Heck, people didn't even knew about the return of friends codes.

Some of the points are fine and others are abit nickpicking on issues. The Switch is barely three days so let's not jump the gun. I raised some of my points on the Switch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5tDQOUnrL0

I do think people need to work on the big picture problems that Nintendo has and not focus on the small issues that I think really aren't that important at the end of the day or will be solved in due time.

I'm not saying the 3DS will continue. I'm saying that I don't know that "everything will be fine." It's a common refrain that the Switch will succeed based on the handheld audience alone but history shows that the handheld audience isn't interested in a premium device.

Kureransu

Honestly I think they should stick to hybrids. They can create their own market with them and perhaps look into things like battery life with a joint venture down the road. But when you think about it. It's marrying two of their markets together. 300 bucks is great when you don't have to buy a Wii 3 and a 4ds. This will also keep ALL their development focus on one platform, which means more games consistently. I'm really in board with what I think they're trying to accomplish, and I really hope it works out.

Jacce

Banned

WiiU was a colossal failure. Handheld market has contracted. Nintendo merged them into one. Switch is a hybrid of both, that is the entire point behind the Switch. It will be both your handheld and console. No more separate Nintendo platforms going into the future.

The only thing I have an issue with Switch is the lack of VC and the price of things. Other than that everything is fine for me. But that's also because of the way I play. Nintendo consoles are never my primary. I don't play their games online at all. It's just a system I use to play nintendo games and any other japanese titles that didn't go elsewhere.

So I don't disagree with the OP except I've had zero issues with the hardware and connectivity. I'm just glad I don't care about those things as much lol. Nintendo's typical radio silence is a bit tiresome though.

asagami_

Banned
I'm not saying the 3DS will continue. I'm saying that I don't know that "everything will be fine." It's a common refrain that the Switch will succeed based on the handheld audience alone but history shows that the handheld audience isn't interested in a premium device.

Handheld users tend to buy multiple devices just for the special edition. If anything, the handheld audience don't buy due being cheap devices, but for the portable aspect.

The fact I will can play the next Fire Emblem both portable and in a TV excites me a lot.

thefro

The OS is super-fast, well-laid out, and just works. Jumping from sleep mode to playing Zelda in four seconds is a dream.

I prefer it to Wii U, PS3, and the XB1's OS personally (I don't have a PS4). Great foundation to build on.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Loving mine so far but all I bought was Zelda and extra joycon charge grip. Wish had a few more games (snippperclips is good but brother got it so don't need 2 copies). That will be fixed shortly (Mario kart and puyo Tetris next month).

Hope it gets some vid apps at some point then it will be perfect.

Osakadon

Yeah I think they just might out priced the Handheld and Console market by making it a hybrid.

4RN1jTo.jpg

Mihos

Gold Member
It has potential to be a decent portable device if they ever add in the missing basic features. As a home console, I will never choose the switch version over any other system. Just too much to give up in power, comunity, and other features. Plus I am not paying for a 3rd subscription service on a system that only has my be 5 games I am even interested in coming in the next 18 months.

Kebiinu

Banned
I was pretty blown away there is no messaging between players at all, not even friends. I mean, what the fuck.

Why even have the friendslist at all then.

This.

I absolutely love the Switch, but it's really only a purchase for fans and Zelda fanatics at the moment. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING feels a bit beta. From the lack of OS music, to the minimalist eShop. You can tell this is temporary, but as of now, Friend Codes are pointless—and I'm hoping they disperse after the online system is actually implemented—and there isn't anything to do outside gaming; which is perfect for me, but for accessibility, it's lacking.

I'm not concerned, I know Nintendo will steer the ship, but it's disheartening for mass appeal.

One thing I will say, is that price is the least of people's concern. Everyone I've showed the Switch to, has been enthralled, and when learning the price, it's always "Not bad. That's reasonable!" I really think the value will be there once more games/features release.

That's my two cents.

Maybe my friends and I all have tiny trump hands but we've had no problems with sideways joycons when we tried it for bomberman. My friend who had the right joycon took him a moment to adjust to the stick being more center but he said it didn't negatively impact him.

StereoVsn

Some of the points are fine and others are abit nickpicking on issues. The Switch is barely three days so let's not jump the gun. I raised some of my points on the Switch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5tDQOUnrL0

I do think people need to work on the big picture problems that Nintendo has and not focus on the small issues that I think really aren't that important at the end of the day or will be solved in due time.
It's Nintendo. There is no guarantee what so ever that "the small issues" will be resolved.

- How about no transferring of saves on a Hybrid device? Wii-U never resolved that.
- WiFi/Joycon issues, dock, plastic scratchable screen (witness a few people complaining that their new Seotch came with micro scratches due to lack of film on the screen just from shipping). This is hardware and unlikely to be fixed till next revision.
- Again, there are no small problems with Nintendo and unless there is a large pushback they will never fix them.

I feel like the Switch can be a foundation of a terrific platform with both Nintendo's and 3rd parties (Japanese ones and indies) efforts concentrating on it, but Nintendo needs to be dragged kicking and screaming to that. I look toward buying the Switch next year when hopefully issues can be resolved when Atlus, Nintendo itself, Level-5, Capcom, SE, and the others (basically look for all Vita Devs to move here) start punching out software. However people need to stop fanboyish attitude and recognize the issues that are present on the device.

I feel like a Switch remodel will be inevitable. Unlike the Wii U the switch was built with a good profit margin in mind like the 3DS and DS. Any hardware issues will be ironed out by then.

Mihos

Gold Member
Maybe my friends and I all have tiny trump hands but we've had no problems with sideways joycon when we tried it for bomberman. My friend who had the right joycon took him a moment to adjust to the stick being more center but he said it didn't negatively impact him.

Man, I tried using it for Bomberman and it is absolutely unplayable for me like that. I cannot stand the joycons when they are not attached to the screen. I switched the pro controller instead, but we only had one and that was so much of an avantage, we just stopped playing.
It is extremely rare for me to use couch coop anyway, so ignoring the joycons existence should be easy enough.

nynt9

There's this image floating around about screen consistency and I've seen it posted here too, but I haven't seen it addressed. Does anyone know if this is fake, or if there is a screen lottery again? While I wouldn't be surprised if there was, an image like this is also so easy to fake that I'd wait for more confirmation (though to be fair it's also hard to confirm this because who owns two switches, and what are the likelihoods that they own ones with different panels if there are different panels)

yoplay

The random left Joycon drops is ridiculous, no reason for it and happens constantly, seems to want to ignore my inputs and throw link of cliffs etc.

I was aghast when it started happening to me. I only get to play games on the weekends here and there. It really is unacceptable. I packed my Switch and sent it back to gamestop. Don't want the headache.

I also had some issues with the analog stick and inadvertent crouching while playing BOTW. The control scheme on that game is a bit off. Surprised many don't find it a hassle. I guess they r playing on a pro. Bummer too, because I was loving my first Zelda in years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The Switch is the evolution of the Wii U. The difference is the hardware is now inside the "gamepad", thus allowing you the freedom Wii U fell short of.

The switch will replace the 3DS as the only dedicated handheld on the market and everything will be fine.

Cus it'll come down in price :p

They're not going to let ANOTHER console flounder again. Most of the positive impressions are coming from the handheld mode too.

Also... Pokemon. The moment the Switch gets an exclusive mainline Pokemon game, it has won. Bonus if it has had a price cut by then.

You're making a lot of presumptions. Nintendo have never indicated they view the Switch as a handheld or a hybrid, they've repeatedly reiterated that it is a home console much like the Wii U.
3DS production is continuing and their launch window line up doesn't include anything which is primarily designed for handheld play. They may very well have a 3DS successor in a couple of years, I'd find it hard to believe that they'd be willing to abandon the pocket sized device market when its always been their most successful.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't think anyone knows if the market is elastic enough for 3 regular consoles. Still, Nintendo doesn't need to be a regular console, just not have a higher price for less power. I think Nintendo should've taken a loss, and had it at $250, which could've made quite a bid of difference in sales.

We'll see when NPD comes out, though : )

Who's to say Nintendo won't do this drop in the fall.

The architecture Nintendo went for allows aggressive price drops in the future.

I can already see a future where they sell Switch for $250 with a game preinstalled.

Top Bottom