• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst - PlayStation GAAS releasing day-one on PC, SP games at least one year after console release

SSfox

This aint rocket science folks. Plain English.
You forgot the best one: "“And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance.”

Now it's "PS5 exclusive at least 1 year for SP, and Day One for GaaS"...

I mean yeah... Fuck this subhuman liar

angrod14

What the F is a GAAAAS?

This kind of makes me sad. Exclusives stop being that and loose some of their magic by releasing in PC. Now instead of focusing on the console they're selling they will try to ensure every first party game can scale properly in PC. Goodbye to developing to the metal I guess.

Kagey K

Banned
What the F is a GAAAAS?

This kind of makes me sad. Exclusives stop being that and loose some of their magic by releasing in PC. Now instead of focusing on the console they're selling they will try to ensure every first party game can scale properly in PC. Goodbye to developing to the metal I guess.
That hasn't been a thing in at least 2 generations now. Consoles are basically PCs.

tusharngf

So if you are in rush to play first party games but inferior version for scamming 70$ US/ 90 CAD, buy a ps5.

If you wait a year ( for now, soon it will be less ) you will get:

- A better version of those single player games
- They will work on whatever pc u own 30 years from now
-Not to worrying about console backward compatibility and devs not updating their game or Sony trying to be scum as they are now and charge you 70$ For that 60 frames toggle..
-You get it cheaper day one on pc from many third party sellers.

….

Does anyone wants to buy my ps5 ?

not everyone can afford a PC. RTX 3080 alone is expensive than ps5. More time passes the specs will be more insane for Sony's AAA title.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you want to talk about here and now then a 1080ti from 2016 matches the next gen consoles :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Ya goofy ass troll.

angrod14

That hasn't been a thing in at least 2 generations now. Consoles are basically PCs.

Yes, but they're PC's with fixed specs. It is not the same to develop your game around ONE PC spec and trying to exploit that to the max instead of making it scalable across a wide variety. There is a reason why first party titles look better than anything else on the market.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You forgot the best one: "“And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn’t necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance.”

Now it's "PS5 exclusive at least 1 year for SP, and Day One for GaaS"...

I mean yeah... Fuck this subhuman liar
Haha. What a load of PR junk.

That statement must had been done a few years ago when only Horizon was out. Days Gone probably wasn’t even communicated yet. And here we are in 2022 and there’s been like 7-8 ports, mostly heavy hitter franchises and TLoU Part 1 for PC isn’t even out yet.

As I said above about PR and timing, they knew there whole time. It’s not like Sony is going to release one big game in PC like Horizon and never do anything again. And here we are flood gates open.

It was just that back then Sony execs had the benefit of only Horizon out, so to gamers it’s a complete guessing game what will come out. Some gamers back then thought it would be a slow trickle. Turns out Sony development teams have been planning PC ports the whole time.

SSfox

So as i said long time ago this whole crossgen thing was also a way so they can port the exclusives easily to PC. If the games were fully optimized for PS5 they know it would be a struggle to port to PC and the amont of PC people that can play those will be quite small.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tbh I was planning on getting a ps5 but with this I'm a bit less sure about my purchase. I'll take their word on it but for now I'll just get a nice old dualsense

I can wait 1 year seeing as how I have an eternally growing backlog and a massive list of fun games.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Kinda what many predicts, 1 year is when selling is reaching limits (with some exceptions like gta5), after pc premiere games will probably also land on ps extra

If you don't see it, it's because you don't want to... Hermen has gone in record time to talk about first party releases on PC 2-4 years later than on PS consoles, to day one for GASS and 1 year for SP.

It is not crazy to bet that before the end of the gen all (SP and Gass) will come out day one on PC seeing how it evolves in its manifestations / PR
That quote is from one and half year ago, did everything went in this time in your life as planned or there were unexpected things happened and you had to take new decision that you were unaware that you have to take them before you came to the fact?
Why you think a company can't have a change of policy or if they say something is set in the stone for the next millennials? As in our life things happen and we have to change course the same applies to big corporation also.

pasterpl

If you have a PC, you don’t need to buy any consoles!

Am I doing this right?
I need my Xbox for quick resume etc, also pc <-> Xbox integration via gamepass is seamless (sync saves etc.) so I would say Xbox and pc are complimentary. Similar to MacBook, iPad and iPhone. But you are right, with this Sony announcement one can completely drop consoles and play on pc only.

I also have steam deck and switch Oled. Use both regularly.

[Sigma]

They keep moving the meter. I told you from the get go what's happening. All PlayStation is doing is slowly following Xbox's direction. That's all they have really been doing since Jim Ryan claimed(lied) about believing in generations. Day and date releasing will happen. And with that expect even more bugs and glitches etc than before. No more designed from the ground up for PS5 coding to the metal anymore soon. PlayStation is becoming a glorified EA/Activision operationally.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

not everyone can afford a PC. RTX 3080 alone is expensive than ps5. More time passes the specs will be more insane for Sony's AAA title.
I respect that. At the end of the day it’s a video game and it’s a hobby nothing more.

But right now here at least here in Ottawa Canada, the 3080 is priced same as ps5 . And that is 2 times the power of the ps5.

With that being said this is a different subject and we don’t want to drift from the main topic .

Pc is not just a graphics card just like it’s not for games only. There are 2 sides for this

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I need my Xbox for quick resume etc, also pc <-> Xbox integration via gamepass is seamless (sync saves etc.) so I would say Xbox and pc are complimentary. Similar to MacBook, iPad and iPhone. But you are right, with this Sony announcement one can completely drop consoles and play on pc only.

I also have steam deck and switch Oled. Use both regularly.
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

Mung

He doesn't say GaaS games will definitely release day one on PC. He said some may be an exception and release day one on PC. Totally different.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
So now my pc gets Xbox games day one playstation games a year later and can emulator most if not all retro systems a long with the switch and has an insane modding community.

*looks at ps5*

I'm sorry friend it wasn't meant to be

Concise and accurate. This.
My previous comment was deleted, but it was genuine. GaaS are so dependent of the amount of people playing them; engaging in activities and of course MTXs-Season Passes. I could see either company (Sony-MS) make a super aggressive move and publish their GaaS on the rival platform.

And I am not saying anything crazy because Destiny now fits this example.

Stuart360

So as i said long time ago this whole crossgen thing was also a way so they can port the exclusives easily to PC. If the games were fully optimized for PS5 they know it would be a struggle to port to PC and the amont of PC people that can play those will be quite small.
Its nothing to do with that, thats why PC games come with reccomended and minimum specs. A PS5/XSX game that runs at say 1800p, running that at 1080p on PC would require a way lower spec pc. Then on PC there are graphic settings you can turn down if need be, running the game at 30fps instead of 60fps if you're on a low spec PC, etc.
Consoles are always powerful when a new console gen starts, i dont know why people act like its something different this time.

Darsxx82

That quote is from one and half year ago, did everything went in this time in your life as planned or there were unexpected things happened and you had to take new decision that you were unaware that you have to take them before you came to the fact?
Why you think a company can't have a change of policy or if they say something is set in the stone for the next millennials? As in our life things happen and we have to change course the same applies to big corporation also.

Do you really believe that decisions like this are made suddenly and without study? 😂

The reality is that Sony already knew at that time what the situation was going to be today. It simply accommodated its PR so as not to provoke the discomfort of its PS5 users, reactions that would harm PS5 sales or damage its image by making believe that their strategy was different than Xbox.
Same situation as "we believe in generations" when they were developing (and will continue to develop) cross-gen games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Haha. What a load of PR junk.

That statement must had been done a few years ago when only Horizon was out. Days Gone probably wasn’t even communicated yet. And here we are in 2022 and there’s been like 7-8 ports, mostly heavy hitter franchises and TLoU Part 1 for PC isn’t even out yet.

As I said above about PR and timing, they knew there whole time. It’s not like Sony is going to release one big game in PC like Horizon and never do anything again. And here we are flood gates open.

It was just that back then Sony execs had the benefit of only Horizon out, so to gamers it’s a complete guessing game what will come out. Some gamers back then thought it would be a slow trickle. Turns out Sony development teams have been planning PC ports the whole time.
Yeah he was clearly lying Horizon was a one off thing because we know Days Gone was in development since 2019 and they had hired GOW porting studio back in 2019 as well.

His statement about how they dont PLAN on day one releases is also BS since all these GaaS games were PC from Day one as we saw from the leaked doc yesterday. Was from 2021 when he made that statement.

Fredrik

The HZD quote was 2 years ago when he said day one releases will never be a thing.
Then a year later, he said PS5 will be the best place to play at LAUNCH.
Now hes saying PS5 and PC games will have day one releases but only for MP games.
Next year it will be day one releases for SP games. He's slowly moving the needle up by misleading the userbase because he wants to sell his consoles knowing full well that more PC ports were coming and day one releases were coming.
I don’t understand that thinking. It’s not like a PC gamer without any console is going to buy a PS5 to play Sony exclusives a year earlier. And it’s not like a console gamer would skip buying a PS5 if Sony exclusives would launch day 1 on PC.
They’re worried about a customer that don’t exist.

For me it’s just an annoyance. Getting to play the worst version day 1 and the best version when I’ve already played through it before is a crappy scenario.

SlimySnake

I don’t understand that thinking. It’s not like a PC gamer without any console is going to buy a PS5 to play Sony exclusives a year earlier. And it’s not like a console gamer would skip buying a PS5 if Sony exclusives would launch day 1 on PC.

For me it’s just an annoyance. Getting to play the worst version day 1 and the best version when I’ve already played through it before is a crappy scenario.
I bought the x1 on day one at the midnight launch.

I havent and dont plan to buy an xsx. I am that console gamer who would skip buying a PS5 if Sony exclusives would launch day 1 on PC.

Good, that’s all you’ll get.

It’s an annoyance to PS fans at all that they are using valuable resources porting it to PC

There are perhaps some PS5 only owners that would go PC instead if they were all day and date like xbox

Sony would lose out significantly in this scenario due to paying Steam royalties

Last edited:

Ansphn

Damn, I like this plan much better than just relying on becoming the "Netflix" of gaming.
This is exactly what they're doing. Sony also has experience in these staggered releases across different avenues because they own movie production studios that release to theater, DVD then steaming.

I heard the old guard traditional PlayStation gamers complaining and afraid that PlayStation would release their exclusive single player blockbuster games Day 1 on PC but why would they do that and hurt their own Hardware/console (controllers, PlayStation Pro, PSVR, and other accessories) sales unless PC sales are making them way more money than they make from Hardware and i just don't see that.

Elden Ring was huge and released on all consoles including PC and i doubt it sells 50-100 million units life-time. What PC games are selling GTA numbers? There is no way even with releasing on PC, that a PlayStation game would do GTA numbers to the point that they would abandon their hardware/console.

The biggest selling games are on mobile and GAAS games and PlayStation is doing Day 1 on PC for those types of games but there is no reason to do that to that single player blockbuster (God of war, Ghost, etc) when it would hurt their hardware.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I bought the x1 on day one at the midnight launch.

I havent and dont plan to buy an xsx. I am that console gamer who would skip buying a PS5 if Sony exclusives would launch day 1 on PC.
So you’re a PC gamer who reluctantly buy a console just to play 1-3 games per year in bad versions a year earlier?

DaGwaphics

Gaming is a funny space. The warz run deep and can entrench certain marketing points within the fan base. That's all well and good when the marketing points are current, but when it comes time to move in a new direction....

Sony is working against a couple long held beliefs of the Sony faithful at this point, that a game that exists on PC isn't an "exclusive" at all and that a console without "exclusives" has no value. If they had flipped the switch in one go the backlash would have been intense. We got a taste of that with the Horizon announcement. It would have been a minority of users sure, but it would have been a very vocal minority.

SlimySnake

So you’re a PC gamer who reluctantly buy a console just to play 1-3 games per year in bad versions a year earlier?
It seems that way now. Makes zero sense to own a console now.

Just like last gen with Phil Spencer, Sony has misled me into purchasing a PS5 thanks to those Herman Hurst statements denying day one releases would ever be a thing. I have spent $500 plus two years of PS+ on this thing. Money i couldve spent on a better GPU. So it's not just about some online whinging. It affected my wallet.

They’ve been consistent with their messaging about PC releases for single player so that’s not surprising.

Good that their GAAS games will be day and date though. It’ll be mad to see TLOU multiplayer on PC.

Mr Moose

Just like last gen with Phil Spencer, Sony has misled me into purchasing a PS5 thanks to those Herman Hurst statements denying day one releases would ever be a thing. I have spent $500 plus two years of PS+ on this thing. Money i couldve spent on a better GPU. So it's not just about some online whinging. It affected my wallet.
Sell it, fill your wallet back up.

Fredrik

Gaming is a funny space. The warz run deep and can entrench certain marketing points within the fan base. That's all well and good when the marketing points are current, but when it comes time to move in a new direction....

Sony is working against a couple long held beliefs of the Sony faithful at this point, that a game that exists on PC isn't an "exclusive" at all and that a console without "exclusives" has no value. If they had flipped the switch in one go the backlash would have been intense. We got a taste of that with the Horizon announcement. It would have been a minority of users sure, but it would have been a very vocal minority.
Well as I said I don’t understand it. I never stopped buying Xboxes because Microsoft exclusives came to PC day 1 and I wouldn’t stop buying Playstations if Sony exclusives came to PC day 1.

And I really can’t see a console only gamer swap to PC if all games came to PC day 1.

Fredrik

I play on all consoles, PC, Steam Deck, all for different reasons. Would never just have a PC. And I think the cost alone would scare away any console only gamer from the PC platform. Just a new chassi + PSU suitable for the new hardware cost about as much as a console now, it’s absurd tbh.

Top Bottom