• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst - PlayStation GAAS releasing day-one on PC, SP games at least one year after console release

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What's the difference between "at launch" and "day and date"? Not sure I'm seeing the lie.
The HZD quote was 2 years ago when he said day one releases will never be a thing.
Then a year later, he said PS5 will be the best place to play at LAUNCH.
Now hes saying PS5 and PC games will have day one releases but only for MP games.
Next year it will be day one releases for SP games. He's slowly moving the needle up by misleading the userbase because he wants to sell his consoles knowing full well that more PC ports were coming and day one releases were coming.

Darsxx82

I mean the title of the thread from a year ago, says literally they are looking at the timing, where is the lie. Read it. All I see in the quotes too are "at launch" and "day and date". Nothing about 2-4 years specifically. If you want to feel duped though that's alright.
In those threads, his word was taken as confirmation that first party games would not arrive on PC until severql years later than on PS consoles. And that was so because at that time games with release on PC 2-3 years later were used as an example.

Wanting to make believe that there is no evolution in time and that his speech has not changed at all it is wanting to go blind 😉 .

As I said, an evolution in the times that invites us to think and to bet that before the end of the PS5 cycle all kinds of first party games will end up arriving on PC day one....

Helghan

There is is, just as i've been saying. They know what they are doing.
Everyone knows what they are doing, that was never questioned, it's very obvious, and makes a lot of sense. We are mostly laughing with their policies not matching with what they are saying to the public at all.

What they say: "We believe in generations"
What they do: "Here's Spiderman, GoW, HZD on PS4"

Business wise what they are doing is smart and they are on the right track, just don't spin it. Goes for Spencer too btw.

SlimySnake

There's literally no lies on those quotes. Did you quote the wrong things?
Where is the lie?

We don’t have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

Hermen Hulst - PlayStation GAAS releasing day-one on PC​

But I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch

Hermen Hulst - PlayStation GAAS releasing day-one on PC​

This aint rocket science folks. Plain English.

The HZD quote was 2 years ago when he said day one releases will never be a thing.
Now hes saying PS5 and PC games will have day one releases but only for MP games.
Next year it will be day one releases for SP games. He's slowly moving the needle up by misleading the userbase because he wants to sell his consoles knowing full well that more PC ports were coming and day one releases were coming.

GaaS makes sense to launch on PC

SP makes no sense for day and date, they want the double dippers

Darsxx82

Indeed, it is very clear that this is being the strategy.... Whoever does not want to see it is because they do not feel like it.

In fact it's funny to see the reactions in this forum in those threads and how Hermen's words were interpreted and compared with those of now....

midnightAI

When he said it though that was what Sony wanted to do, businesses don't (can't) stay still, they evaluate things as time goes on to suit the market. Nothing he has said is misleading.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's a smart move. I said before that they'll have a better chance of their games succeeding if their GaaS games release day one on PC.

There's also a chance that some of their GaaS will fail on PS5, but be successful on PC.

Three

He's never said they will never be a thing. He said they had no plans for day and date and will look at the right times for each game. Even today he is saying we might release day and date for Gaas games and at least one year for SP. Nothing seems contradictory to me. Their GaaS drive is a new thing too.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Oooh, I've read this one!

It was wrong when Sony fans trolled Xbox with it, and it's wrong now.
But Xbox is dead though .

Like I am sorry but why would u own if you have a pc ?

And same thing is starting to apply for PlayStation .

I am a pc gamer and I don’t mind this . But I honestly started switching when Xbox games started day one on pc.

People keep saying consoles are cheaper . But honestly if I to buy Xbox and ps5, plus 1 year membership for gold to play online on these 2 consoles, we are at 1150$ give or take . Building a decent pc is not that far off now

Last edited:

SNG32

Damn PC is coming full circle PS1, PS2, PSP emulators, PS3 and Vita emulation getting better by the day now PS4 and PS5 exclusives dropping a year after console. Looks like PC is looking like the Ultimate platform for playstation games.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This is great for me, my PS5 has turned into a paper weight at this point. I normally don’t buy Single Player games on release and I’m happy to hear GaaS will be Day 1 across the board. Glad I built a PC, looks like it’s the best place to be at. With OLED monitors coming out for PC it’s going to be amazing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I am a pc gamer and I don’t mind this . But I honestly started switching when Xbox games started day one on pc.

People keep saying consoles are cheaper . But honestly if I to buy Xbox and ps5, plus 1 year membership for gold to play online on these 2 states, we are at 1150$ give or take . Building a decent pc is not that far off now
$1150 will just be your bare minimum FOMO graphics card.

And no, neither brand is "dead" when they are turning record revenue each year. I know it's hard for PC bubblers to understand, but there are millions who just want to game on consoles.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Also Herman Hurst.

And a year before that:

What a bald face liar lmao.

This is an interesting thread to read. So many people in denial.

[/URL][/URL]

Where's the lie, buddy? He clearly stated the non GAAS games will have at minimum 1yr. release gap between PS5 and PC platform.

Edit: Lol ignore me, I see others have already pointed out the flaws in your comment. Stay angry, my friend.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So if you are in rush to play first party games but inferior version for scamming 70$ US/ 90 CAD, buy a ps5.

If you wait a year ( for now, soon it will be less ) you will get:

- A better version of those single player games
- They will work on whatever pc u own 30 years from now
-Not to worrying about console backward compatibility and devs not updating their game or Sony trying to be scum as they are now and charge you 70$ For that 60 frames toggle..
-You get it cheaper day one on pc from many third party sellers.

….

Does anyone wants to buy my ps5 ?

So dumb.

If you wait a year you won't be paying 70$, either used at retail or via digital sale you will pay less.

"Better" is extremely subjective and assumes you have way better hardware than current PS5 level, including controllers and peripherals. This is a weird take especially as it seems to me it isn't like anything is struggling to run on PS5!

Who plays 30 year old games outside of niche retro-gaming enthusiasts? Stop equating novelty usage with basic or essential function.

No, you just get to worry about OS compatibility, driver compatibility, the availability and security of community sourced patches, assume the quality of ports are going to be satisfactory etc. etc. Stop acting like the PC space is some sort of utopia when countless drama threads get created every year about everything from shitty ports, storefront exclusivity, through to over-priced or hard to source components.

When PC day#1 is a year (or more) behind release on PS5, is it still "day#1"?

Please sell your PS5.

Last edited:

Stuart360

People keep saying consoles are cheaper . But honestly if I to buy Xbox and ps5, plus 1 year membership for gold to play online on these 2 states, we are at 1150$ give or take . Building a decent pc is not that far off now
Sony and Microsoft make very little money on consoles sold, in fact at this point of the gen they could still be making a slight loss. All the money is in game sales, services, and mtx.
PC is a 200mil pool of gamers that were ripe for being exploited. Microsoft realized this long ago, and now Sony are fully onboard. And yes they will lose a few mill console sales, but does it really matter of PS5 sells 100mil instead of 120mil when they be be getting tons of money from game slaes and mtx on PC?, i dont think so. Maybe it effects console warriors, but thats it.

//DEVIL//

And no, neither brand is "dead" when they are turning record revenue each year. I know it's hard for PC bubblers to understand, but there are millions who just want to game on consoles.
Not dead as in dead and no one wants to buy it .

Maybe more dead to the pc gamer who like to own a second console ?

Like if you have a pc, you don’t really find a reason to buy an Xbox and PlayStation was also the console to go to for exclusives …. Now this is not the case much ?

NickFire

It wasn't that long ago that most (I recall one guy :messenger_tears_of_joy:was anti-crossplay) of the enthusiasts were crucifying them for not allowing cross play in online games. Now we're going to crucify them for not gating off multi-player?

AmuroChan

People, business strategies change all the time. What one executive said 2 years ago was for 2 years ago. It doesn't mean that companies can't pivot later. Sony once said they can't do cross-play with other platforms. That has since changed. MS once said they can't sell an XBox One without the Kinect. That changed. You can probably find dozens of other examples where an executive at these companies said something, then changed their mind months later.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Last edited:
Really no point in having a PS5 anymore. Day and date GAAS on a superior platform, then a one year wait for the first party SP that you can get for a discount. No brainer. Thanks Jimbo!
This is a dumb take….

A lot of people don’t enjoy the experience of PC gaming. Not to mention the cost of high end PC gaming. Most people are not going to go out and buy a $1,000+ rig instead of a $499 console just to play God of War or Last of Us Factions.

Also keep in mind PS Plus game catalog is only available on Playstation and I think we will start to see more first party games get placed in the service after the 1 year mark.

SlimySnake

how do you sustain live service games? explain it.

You'd rather he stay committed to those words and every live service games dies on entry to the market?
I dont get it. PS3 had plenty of first party mp games. You dont need to go to PC to sustain anything. This is a console that is going to sell 100 million units. If you cant sustain an audience with 100 million players then maybe you should try and make better games.

And I dont care. I have PC with a GPU 2x more powerful than my PS5. Id rather game on PC anyway. I am simply pointing out misleading statements by this exec. Something i called out immediately while you all were in denial.

nikolino840

So if you are in rush to play first party games but inferior version for scamming 70$ US/ 90 CAD, buy a ps5.

If you wait a year ( for now, soon it will be less ) you will get:

- A better version of those single player games
- They will work on whatever pc u own 30 years from now
-Not to worrying about console backward compatibility and devs not updating their game or Sony trying to be scum as they are now and charge you 70$ For that 60 frames toggle..
-You get it cheaper day one on pc from many third party sellers.

….

Does anyone wants to buy my ps5 ?
I add +18 mods 🤣

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I dont get it. PS3 had plenty of first party mp games. You dont need to go to PC to sustain anything. This is a console that is going to sell 100 million units. If you cant sustain an audience with 100 million players then maybe you should try and make better games.

And I dont care. I have PC with a GPU 2x more powerful than my PS5. Id rather game on PC anyway. I am simply pointing out misleading statements by this exec. Something i called out immediately while you all were in denial.

They had MP games but not live service games where you buy a battle pass over and over and it keeps getting content. There’s just no good reason not to release those games on PC where that type of game are already being played by millions.

A CSGO player isn’t gonna run out and buy a console to play Factions 2 but might play it if they see it on Steam.

pasterpl

It will be the first generation when I don’t buy Sony console, got powerful pc already (so will play superior version of ps exclusives), got steamdeck, got xbseries x, and I was usually getting playstation consoles mid gen to grab most exclusives at discounted prices. This gen I don’t need to do that. Thanks Sony. Just saved me £500 gbp. Have no interest in gaas games, but a year wait for sp exclusives is not that bad, plenty games to play with gamepass on pc and Xbox. Fantastic news.

Edit - Sony just got a massive boost in my personal ranking. For the players.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This was known, why act surprised now? Forgot Predator Hunting Grounds was day one release on PS4/PC?
From 2019:
In an interview, Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony's game studios worldwide, said exclusive titles will still be a part of the company's strategy, but that some games — particularly multiplayer titles designed to be played on personal computers — may see broader distribution. 'We must support the PlayStation platform — that is non-negotiable,' Layden said. 'That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base.'

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I dont get it. PS3 had plenty of first party mp games.
BBR vs ABR. PS3 era multiplayer didn't do very well for PlayStation. They didn't understand it.

You dont need to go to PC to sustain anything.
It's not about "sustain". It's about insane profits. The kind of profit that changes the trajectory of your company. Everyone within PlayStation who utters the word "sustain" should be fired on the spot and possibly physically assaulted as well.

This is a console that is going to sell 100 million units.
PS5 is at 20 million right now. Not 100.

If you cant sustain an audience with 100 million players then maybe you should try and make better games.
You're fired.

And I dont care. I have PC with a GPU 2x more powerful than my PS5. Id rather game on PC anyway. I am simply pointing out misleading statements by this exec.
You are never to utter the word Herman Hulst ever again YOU CRETIN! He is one of the only two God Emperors in all of gaming.

Last edited:
The impact of double dippers is massively overrated imo. It makes more sense to release day one because you can do a huge marketing campaign and include PC in it.

Nope

Unlike third parties, Sony doesn’t pay a royalty fee on PS5 retail sales

There’s still a strong incentive to release first on PS5 to ensure a high portion won’t pay the Steam royalties

Double dipping is only one part of the equation

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not dead as in dead and no one wants to buy it .

Maybe more dead to the pc gamer who like to own a second console ?

Like if you have a pc, you don’t really find a reason to buy an Xbox and PlayStation was also the console to go to for exclusives …. Now this is not the case much ?
I have a PC for Xbox Studios games as well as my library of PC games from decades, old school arcade emulation, plus other games I’d prefer to play on the PC.

I have a PS5 for Sony games day one or sales down the road, and I like playing games on there for certain QoL features as well.

I like both 🤷‍♀️

JackSparr0w

Banned

And you're delusional enough to believe AMD in the future won't severely increase what they charge Sony and MS for their chips.

If these prices hold we're all fucked.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And you're delusional enough to believe AMD in the future won't severely increase what they charge Sony and MS for their chips.

If these prices hold we're all fucked.
We are talking there here and now. And no, we won’t have $1,200+ consoles. That’s delusional and DOA.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you don't see it, it's because you don't want to... Hermen has gone in record time to talk about first party releases on PC 2-4 years later than on PS consoles, to day one for GASS and 1 year for SP.

It is not crazy to bet that before the end of the gen all (SP and Gass) will come out day one on PC seeing how it evolves in its manifestations / PR
Ya. That’s typical BSing execs for ya.

Just like when they promoted GT7 in a Dec 2020 video as PS5 exclusive. Turns out it is cross gen. I highly doubt the execs suddenly met at Xmas 2020 and said let’s hurry up and do a PS4 port asap. They had it planned the whole time.

No different than PC strategy is the works since 2016-17. Shawn Layden said that in an article maybe a year ago. It’s not like Sony in 2019 suddenly woke up one day and said let’s do PC gaming and let’s hurry up and do a horizon port in the next 6 months. It takes tons of planning. Only reason why layden laid out the cards is because he doesn’t work there anymore. Yet for all the PC stuff lately you barely hear any PR to gamers except lately where it seems Hulst today opened up. At the beginning it was secret. Gamers got the hint through that Spanish PowerPoint presentation to wall street. That’s where the focus on PC gaming came from… it was I believe mention of Uncharted 4 and some pie charts. If no gamers saw that slide deck, you’d get no concrete PC strategy communicated to gamers.

Last edited:
I been saying for awhile that PlayStation is adopting the movie theater release to DVD to steaming motto.

Theater is the PS5
DVD is PC
Streaming is PS+ extra

This is very smart business to bring in new generations of gamers to the PlayStation ecosystem because its more spread out to PC and mobile than in past generations. PlayStation is evolving with the times in order to expand and thrive. The old guard (older traditional PlayStation gamers) will get upset but they will still buy the Big budget games as long as PlayStation brings the quality.

The new generation of gamer who experience PlayStation quality games for the first time on PC and mobile who can't wait a year will buy a PS6. PS7, etc to experience it earlier..
Damn, I like this plan much better than just relying on becoming the "Netflix" of gaming.

Top Bottom