• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption: Kickstarter by Quest 4 Glory's Lori/Corey Cole [Funded]

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
jesus christ....

What is so outrageous about what I posted?
I take it you are not a backer then?

They are asking for MORE money after already having a kickstarter. If they changed their scope after the inital funding, then that's their own business and risk to take. It's incredibly stupid from a business perspective to do that, unless they got additional funding from a publisher or something. (You can see The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy, as an example).

That IS bullshit, you can try to rationalize it like the post above, but it certain makes the ones who spent $20+ on it wonder what the hell is going on.

This kind of shit is what makes people more and more skeptical about Kickstarter, and hurts other prospective projects.

Shaanyboi

Banned

They are asking for MORE money after already having a kickstarter. If they changed their scope after the inital funding, then that's their own business and risk to take. It's incredibly stupid from a business perspective to do that, unless they got additional funding from a publisher or something. (You can see The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy, as an example).

That IS bullshit, you can try to rationalize it like the post above, but it certain makes the ones who spent $20+ on it wonder what the hell is going on.

This kind of shit is what makes people more and more skeptical about Kickstarter, and hurts other prospective projects.

No, I'm agreeing with you. 'Jesus christ' as them asking for more money. Practices like this on Kickstarter only make it harder and harder for both potential backers to trust projects and for actual Kickstarters to get the funding for said-projects.

No, I'm agreeing with you. 'Jesus christ' as them asking for more money. Practices like this on Kickstarter only make it harder and harder for both potential backers to trust projects and for actual Kickstarters to get the funding for said-projects.

Why? Are you really saying that a kickstarter which just barely managed to get funded, then scaled up to something much better than originally planned, and now has a release date and demo, and has had an update for backers every single month since the kickstarter funded, is an example of a bad kickstarter? How? I mean, yeah, it's too bad that it got delayed a lot, but a lot of kickstarters get delayed; I've backed a bunch of game kickstarters, and almost none actually launch on time. Yes, two years overdue, as this one is, is more than some, but I generally expect kickstarters to be at least a year late unless it's something clearly on track for a release. Considering the development issues (all covered in the updates) and scale of the game, two years overdue isn't that bad if the end result is good. Of course though as I've said that last part will be important.

But overall. considering that they now do have the finish line in sight, a set release date, etc., why not try to not lose quite as much money as they otherwise would by doing this supplimentary kickstarter? Again, the game releases either way, the difference is just less risk for them if this succeeds, which is a good thing for those of us who loved their old games and hope to see more games from them in the future (they've mentioned sequels to this game, if the first one works out). Lots of kickstarters ask for less than they'd like, so that they can set a goal that actually will reach funding. Kickstarter is great, but in most cases won't get you the full budget developers might want, and that was an issue here as it has been for many kickstarter games. It's still more than the nothing most publishers would pay to develop a game like this, though!

So sure, it'll be two years overdue, and a lot is reliant on the game actually being good, and we don't know that yet. The demo is apparently pretty short, so that won't answer all of those questions.

As a big fan of the original Quest for Glory games (QfGs 1 and 4 particularly are some of my favorite classic PC games), I was quite happy when they changed the scope because the original plan was for a game that I backed as much just because it was by the creators of QfG as because it actually sounded like a really interesting game. It was a smaller-scale thing that sounded okay, but clearly not something like QfG. But this game? It's still got only one class, but as they have said it has a much smaller budget than most any of the original QfG games, so it has to be smaller-scale in some ways. But otherwise, it's a QfG thief-class style game, with some of the elements of the original Hero-U concept as well (the hero school setting, etc.). I am MUCH more interested in this one than the original proposal, and I'm glad they changed it even if it made development take a lot longer. I just hope the end result is good.

Of course, it's things like this said by many fans that they really wanted QfG and not the original Hero-U proposal that helped push them to change the game, but still... it was probably a good change.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel bad for them because they talk about going into debt to complete the game and all that, but still...

They hopped onto the adventure game bandwagon that Double Fine started, and that all the Sierra alumni hitched onto, and so far the only thing to come out of that is Pinkerton Road. Well, and the Larry remake which apparently caused Al Lowe to quit the company and ended in a sea of tears.

gogojira

As much as I loved Quest for Glory, I've just got a feeling this game is going to suck. Same with Spaceventure, or whatever it's called. Haven't checked in on that one in awhile either, but I figure it's not doing so well either.

Spaceventure lol. I put $30 on that dud that's either going to be horrible or just straight up canceled. Given how infrequently they update these days, I'm pretty sure they stopped giving a shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Spaceventure lol. I put $30 on that dud that's either going to be horrible or just straight up canceled. Given how infrequently they update these days, I'm pretty sure they stopped giving a shit.
At least that wasn't as bad as the Police Quest one that was so late to the party that they couldn't even get funded.

gogojira

Considering the Sierra "revival" so far, that was probably for the best. Moebius is a fucking train wreck, too. What a terrible game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1223356?ref=dash

Corey Cole addresses the criticism of having a second kickstarter here. He goes into detail about the money spent on the project -- the update covers what they got, what they spent the money on (broken down into categories -- amounts for programming, for fees, for rewards, etc.), and what they'll be spending the additional funding on if they get it, all with the full numbers. Critics need to read this. Anyone wanting transparency just got complete transparency about the money.

Otherwise, I agree that the Sierra revival hasn't gone well. I'm glad I didn't back the LSL kickstarter, that didn't end up good from what I hear, and Mobius doesn't sound great either. I did back Two Guys Spaceventure, but at a low tier. I hope it's at least decent, but the infrequent updates are a bit worrying. Hero-U has been great in that respect, the monthly updates definitely have helped me maintain confidence that it'll finish and hopefully be a quality game.

Almighty

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/1223356?ref=dash

Corey Cole addresses the criticism of having a second kickstarter here. He goes into detail about the money spent on the project -- it covers what they got, what they spent the money on (broken down into categories -- amount for programming, for fees, for rewards, etc.), and what they'll be spending the additional funding on if they get it, all with the full numbers. Critics need to read this.

Otherwise, I agree that the Sierra revival hasn't gone well. I'm glad I didn't back the LSL kickstarter... I did back Two Guys Spaceventure, but at a low tier. I hope it's at least decent, but the infrequent updates are a bit worrying. Hero-U has been great in that respect, the monthly updates definitely have helped me maintain confidence that it'll finish and hopefully be a quality game.

Can you copy and paste that update for me please? The link says that update is backers only.

Anyway I remember you mentioning this a few months ago so I am not surprised at this news. I missed backing it the first time so depending on how well they lay out their reasons for coming back to the well I am not against backing it this time. I do like that they are going for a more QfG type game now. Though I think they should of done that in the first place and they probably would of raised more money. I might be overestimating the QfG fan base though.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Kudos to the dev for taking the time to explain the financial situation. That was my chief complaint, and something that should have been addressed with the announcement of the second campaign. Regardless, it was released, and before the new campaign started.

I'll post the update here, if it's an issue please let me know;
As this might actually encourage new and old backers to the new campaign, I doubt they will have an issue with me posting this.

A number of backers were angry at my previous update, feeling that we were asking them for more money without having delivered anything for their previous pledges. That was never the intent. The object of that post was to:

Announce the upcoming supplementary Kickstarter (starting May 12)
Share the new version of the break-in room demo
Show how the game is finally progressing from concept art to a real game
Show that a small donation from many people can make a big difference
Thank you for your past support and bearing with this delayed game

That was all. It certainly was not intended to demand more money from backers who were generous to us when we had nothing more than a game concept. You are the 6,000 who believed in us more than any of the other hundreds of thousands of Quest for Glory and Castle of Dr. Brain players. You mean the world to us.

As you know, nearly all of my updates have been open to everyone. Yesterday's update was the first of a series of backer-only updates to keep you posted on why we are doing the new Kickstarter and other project details that we feel are of more interest to you than to the rest of the world. There won't be any secrets here, but there will be some very honest talk that some will take negatively.

One of the questions raised several times yesterday is, "What did you do with the first $400,000? Why do you need more?" It's a great question, and I'll answer it here.

But first let me put it in perspective - $400K after our costs of making and shipping rewards, Kickstarter fees, and so on, is actually less than $300K net towards the project. That was enough money to pay for one programmer and four artists for a year, even with no other expenses (music, Unity licenses, etc.) and paying Lori and me nothing.

We started with four artists, a musician, and a programmer. If nobody had left the team and we completed it in 8 months, we'd have broken even. That lasted one month before a key team member quit and we could not find a replacement.

Let’s look at all the money we've received from crowdfunding and our site:

Pledged on Kickstarter (Gross): $409,000 (but some did not pay)
PayPal and Humble Bundle (Gross): $26,000
Total Crowd-Funding to Date (Gross): $435,000
Deductions and Funding Costs: $60,000
Total Crowd-Funding to Date (Net): $375,000

Here’s where we spent the original Kickstarter funding:

Art and Animation $205,000 (includes work on virtual rewards)
Programming $85,000
Music $25,000
Taxes/Fees/Overhead $75,000 (includes cost of funding)
Software/Supplies $10,000 (Unity and other licenses)
Rewards and Shipping $35,000
TOTAL: $435,000

Of the $85,000 spent on programming, $45,000 went to work that proved unusable by team members who later left the project. We’ve deferred about $25,000 of additional programming expense until after the game is released.

$84,000 of the art expense went to Contract Art House for 3D character models and animation.

Note that there is no category for game design, writing, or management. Lori and Corey each took a $20/hour salary for the first year, resulting in $15,000 in taxes. Once we started running low on funds, we returned every dollar of our salaries to Transolar Games in the form of a personal loan.

We estimate the total project cost at $550,000 to get the game out the door. We are deferring an additional $75,000 in costs until after the game becomes profitable - Deferred contractor payments and cost of producing and shipping physical rewards such as game boxes.

Lori and I are personally covering all expenses beyond the crowd-funding amounts. In fact, we’re literally betting our house on the project - Since we have no income from the project, we are using a $150,000 home equity line of credit to cover Hero-U development and pay our living expenses. We are completely committed to finishing Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption and making it a game that players will love.

We will not make any money from Hero-U until everyone else is paid, backers have their games, and we manage to sell some copies.

If this campaign is successful, here is how we will spend the funds (based on exactly meeting the $100,000 goal):

$10,000 Kickstarter and bank fees
$20,000 Cost of project rewards
$40,000 Programming
$20,000 Art and Animation
$10,000 All other expenses

If the project reaches $200,000:

$20,000 Kickstarter and bank fees
$40,000 Cost of project rewards
$70,000 Programming
$40,000 Art and Animation
$20,000 Game testing, production, and shipping
$10,000 All other expenses

Any additional funding will be used for:

Improved game play, art, and sound effects
Debt reduction to lower interest expense
Additional section of the Sea Caves (Temple of Gog-sosloth)
Localization and Voice Acting
Android and iOS Tablet versions of the game

Our artists have been doing amazing work on the project over the last 2.5 years even as we had to change the specs because of programming issues. Our new strike team of four part-time programmers are all doing great work. Many of the team members are making sacrifices to keep the development costs reasonable, and we hope we can make it up to them later. They are Hero-U's biggest fans (all were backers before they joined us), and we are blessed to have them on our team.

Lori, I and the team are really excited about recent progress and what we expect to happen this year. We'll keep you posted on all of it!

Suffice to say, I'll consider scrounging up $20 to upgrade to the $50 tier.

Wait... so as an original backer, do I still get anything if I don't back it a second time?

Yes, of course. No one needs to put more money in to get the rewards they've already paid for. This is why I want to see what extras they'll have, will there be something worth spending more for?

If they have plenty to show of a game that resembles QfG,that shows that they have mode significant progress, then this could turn out to be a good move for everyone.

But if they try and run this kickstarter based on promises, then it will probably backfire badly.

Suikoguy

Yes, of course. No one needs to put more money in to get the rewards they've already paid for. This is why I want to see what extras they'll have, will there be something worth spending more for?

They do have this:

For those of you who backed us at the $20 level in 2012, we’ve created a special $20 pledge level just for you. For that second $20, you will receive all the benefits of our new $50 tier. That will include a hint book with tips and strategies for reaching different goals in Hero-U. We will give you the complete soundtrack with all of Ryan Grogan’s stunning musical compositions along with any music we add to the game in the coming months.

Not exactly earth-shattering, but I might bite.
I think it's possible they may meet it from new backers if they can get some publicity, the new demo stuff is more appealing then what they originally showed.

inm8num2

Coincidentally I got a Spaceventure update e-mail this morning. Eh... didn't do anything to change my mind. At the very least it sounds like they've got a good portion of the game playable from past updates, but I gave up on Spaceventure about 2 years ago.

Not sure what I think of Hero-U (didn't back it) - the Coles are good people, but the early reactions to their upcoming second kickstarter suggest they might face some backlash.

inm8num2

I think it's a case of all these people not understanding the scope of creating a game in today's market I guess.

Plus, they seem to make it harder for themselves. I'm not at all opposed to 3D in adventure games - like anything, it just matters if it's done well. When 3D isn't done well (both in visuals and interactivity), it can leave really negative impressions.

It's my opinion that some of these adventure kickstarters have spent too much time and resources doing 3D graphics. The Coles had an idea for a game that was tile-based, but they acquiesced to backer demands because they would have otherwise not been funded (in fairness, their pitch was pretty raw and not well thought-out, and backers were trying to help the Coles plan for and present a better game). At that moment the Coles committed to making a completely different and more expensive game than the one they initially pitched.

Sometimes 3D makes sense, and other times it just might not be necessary. There aren't many other non-3D options of which I'm aware, other than the AGS engine. So they're stuck between doing a low-res 2D game or going for 3D bells and whistles. The latter ends up being too time-consuming, and without the proper resources to hire enough artists and graphic designers the result is the Hero-U demo from fall 2013. Spaceventure does look pretty good, but I don't know how much game content they've actually completed after 3 years.

I hope the Coles can finish their game, but even if they do get this second round of funding will it be enough? What happens if it's delayed another 6 months or longer, and they run out of money again?

Plus, they seem to make it harder for themselves. I'm not at all opposed to 3D in adventure games - like anything, it just matters if it's done well. When 3D isn't done well (both in visuals and interactivity), it can leave really negative impressions.

It's my opinion that some of these adventure kickstarters have spent too much time and resources doing 3D graphics. The Coles had an idea for a game that was tile-based, but they acquiesced to backer demands because they would have otherwise not been funded (in fairness, their pitch was pretty raw and not well thought-out, and backers were trying to help the Coles plan for and present a better game). At that moment the Coles committed to making a completely different and more expensive game than the one they initially pitched.

Sometimes 3D makes sense, and other times it just might not be necessary. There aren't many other non-3D options of which I'm aware, other than the AGS engine. So they're stuck between doing a low-res 2D game or going for 3D bells and whistles. The latter ends up being too time-consuming, and without the proper resources to hire enough artists and graphic designers the result is the Hero-U demo from fall 2013. Spaceventure does look pretty good, but I don't know how much game content they've actually completed after 3 years.
The Coles did not switch over to 3d because of the change of genre. For quite some time after the switch, they continued assuming that the game would be 2d. However, they were having issues, and ended up switching to 3d mid-development because it's actually easier. This is surely a big reason why, in that costs breakdown, $45,000 of the $85,000 in the programming category was unsuable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/479192 Here is the first mention of going 3d, from May 2013, six months after the kickstarter started. And it's only talking about 3d backgrounds, not characters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/673484 It wasn't until November 2013 that they announced the characters would be 3d as well. If you haven't read that update it's intresting -- it shows how their 2d animation system worked versus what they could do with 3d, and such.

I agree that funding surely is an issue, though; I'm sure the game would look better with more resources, certainly. But your assumption that 2d is harder is something that those updates above kind of say the opposite of, unless you only want that basic topdown tile-based game of the original concept. Your point about there being few 2d options outside of AGS is a very good one, though -- I"m sure that was one of the factors that ended up pushing them to 3d.

I hope the Coles can finish their game, but even if they do get this second round of funding will it be enough? What happens if it's delayed another 6 months or longer, and they run out of money again?
I hope they stick to the release date they've set, but is there any good reason to think it'll take that much longer?

inm8num2

I agree that funding surely is an issue, though; I'm sure the game would look better with more resources, certainly. But your assumption that 2d is harder is something that those updates above kind of say the opposite of, unless you only want that basic topdown tile-based game of the original concept. Your point about there being few 2d options outside of AGS is a very good one, though -- I"m sure that was one of the factors that ended up pushing them to 3d.

? I didn't say 2D is harder (unless you meant to type 3D instead of 2D). Even so, I didn't say 3D is "harder" either. It's all about what resources you have and what you're aiming to create.

However, generally speaking when you go from 2D to 3D the scope likely grows. Scenes and environments get bigger, then as a result you need to populate each environment with more objects, characters, etc. so that the areas aren't barren and boring. The game design starts to expand and the tasks start piling up. I'm not saying that is exactly what's happened with Hero-U, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor in the game taking so long and not having much to show.

I hope they stick to the release date they've set, but is there any good reason to think it'll take that much longer?

There are plenty of good reasons - the 3 years that have already passed, poor management, apparent lack of progress, etc. This may seem unfair, but most people aren't going to have the interest or patience to look beyond the most noticeable traits of teh project.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not rooting against the Coles, and I appreciate that you can provide some insights into the game that many of us don't have. However, this project does not look like it's in good shape from any perspective. Judging from comments at the kickstarter page some backers are going to have their own issues with the second campaign. Corey is getting into some minor tussles with backers, and I find his responses to be pretty damning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9823119#comment-9823118
In fact, pretty much every Kickstarter game should abandon their projects by your logic, as only a handful have shipped on time in the entire history of Kickstarter. A large percentage have required more funding than they got from the original Kickstarter. The only difference is that they gave away most of the game to vulture capitalists rather than coming back with a new Kickstarter project.

There's nothing wrong with other projects seeking funding from venture capitalists or publishers later on. By that point they've made much progress and have a light and the end of the tunnel. I get the impression that this time around the Coles either tried to secure outside funding and failed (unlike the offer they had previously received as shown below), or they're in denial about the status of their own project compared to where those other projects were when they sought "vulture capitalists".

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9823187#comment-9823186
As for us, in 20-20 hindsight, we could have found a completely different team, such as the people at Himalaya Studio, planned on doing the game in AGS, and gotten it done earlier. But we had a very experienced developer who had just finished two excellent games, and we had no clue that he would drop the project one month in because $400K was not enough to pay him and the rest of the team. He had expected the campaign to reach $800K. It didn't.

You don't entirely switch engines mid-stream without a good reason. If we had the 2015 or even the 2014 crystal ball to look back at that time, there was plenty of reason. But stop assuming that there is anything unusual here. We budgeted $650K for the project (which would have been at least an $800K Kickstarter campaign), asked $400K because that was the most we could expect, and have done our best with what we had. It wasn't quite enough, but we've managed to stretch it by not taking any pay ourselves. Lots of indies do that - Most of them are living with someone else who supports them.

They knew $400k wasn't enough for even their initial game (which would have used another game's tile-based engine and averted all the time and money lost to developing their 3D version of the game).

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9827842#comment-9827841
In hindsight, it is not that we shouldn't be running a Kickstarter campaign now. It's that 2.5 years ago was much too early. We should have had at least six months work in on the project before asking for any funds. Alas, we didn't have $100K in the bank with which to do that.

He's right about this, but it just reeks of poor management and planning before launching their campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9828379#comment-9828378
We expected this project would run $650,000 - That was our starting budget - but we were naive about Kickstarter. By the way, I believe I have published that number before, and it has not changed in the last three years since before we went on Kickstarter the first time. (In practice, we will likely spend $750,000, but some of that is deferred until after we release the game.)
Other games have supplemented their Kickstarter funding with venture capital. We probably should have done that. Big Corey mistake was turning down a $500,000 investment in 2013. I could try to get an investment like that again, but we don't need that much money, and it comes at a very high cost. Even then, the investors acted like, "This is a micro-investment. We normally provide at least $2 million."

This is troubling because, again, Corey admits he had a chance to secure additional funding but turned it down. Regardless of what the "very high cost" was, he made a choice that essentially has resulted in need to ask the crowd for more money. But at the same time he's referenced "vulture capitalists", so it seems like a mix of misplaced resentment and denial about the reality of where his project stands.

The "$800K" number, by the way, was not the project budget. That was the amount of Kickstarter pledges we needed to raise $550K towards development; we always planned to cover the rest ourselves.

This is also concerning because I saw somewhere that the Coles have basically bet their home on this game. Nobody wants to see them fail, but the truth of the matter is:

- They went to Kickstarter unprepared with practically nothing to show (yes, other projects like Broken Age stands, but as unfair as it seems that's the truth).
- They knew their funding goal of $400k before fees/rewards/etc. was nowhere near enough.
- At least one of their initial developers left the project because they expected the project budget to be $800k.
- The Coles turned down an offer of a $500k investment.
- The game progress has been limited and uninspiring to some.
- 3 years later, the Coles have no choice but to ask existing backers and potential new ones for more money.

This scenario simply does not look good at all. Quite frankly, it looks terrible. Corey has referenced delays and issues on other Kickstarter projects or even games from the Sierra days. My impression is that while it's nice to see him trying to remain optimistic, he's having a difficult time of understanding why people are reacting negatively to news of another crowdfunding campaign (even if for just $100k). I mean, he's already in damage control mode and barely anybody's talking about this. When the campaign launches I doubt opinions will be any more positive.

I don't think the Coles have made any decision in bad faith or with any intent to deceive anyone (obviously), but all of the above is why I didn't back the project. It simply didn't look like a game that needed to be made or had any kind of clear vision or capable management behind it. Again, I know that's unfair given 87,000 people donated to Double Fine simply on an idea of an 'old-school point and click adventure', but by the time the Coles came to Kickstarter expectations changed and people were more selective with how they supported projects. Corey keeps referencing Broken Age and their need to split the game, fund it with other means, etc. Even so, at launch Tim Schafer was the head of a company that had put out a few games by that point. Hero-U has sadly shown how unprepared the Coles were to manage a project like this.

Once more, I'm not trying to rag on or incite negativity toward the Coles. I feel extremely, genuinely awful for them.

? I didn't say 2D is harder (unless you meant to type 3D instead of 2D). Even so, I didn't say 3D is "harder" either. It's all about what resources you have and what you're aiming to create.
I quoted those two updates because it shows that they decided that 3d was easier than 2d for anything beyond a very basic topdown game, even with their resources.

As Corey said in the Kickstarter comments, about Two Guys SpaceVenture: "I brought them up because I know the developers, and know a lot about the problems they've gone through. Many are exactly what we've been through - Unity turned out to be much harder to use for an adventure game than expected, key programmers did not work out (after months wasted), 2D graphics looked bad in the engine and they had to switch to 3D."

And I, and I think quite a few other series fans as well, wanted more than just that basic top-down 2d game.

However, generally speaking when you go from 2D to 3D the scope likely grows. Scenes and environments get bigger, then as a result you need to populate each environment with more objects, characters, etc. so that the areas aren't barren and boring. The game design starts to expand and the tasks start piling up. I'm not saying that is exactly what's happened with Hero-U, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's a factor in the game taking so long and not having much to show.
The move to 3d was, as he explained there, done in order to make some of those things you talk about easier. It was interesting how he said how he went in thinking 2d would be easier, but eventually was convinced that 3d was. That did show their inexperience with modern game design, but eventually they worked it out.

There are plenty of good reasons - the 3 years that have already passed, poor management, apparent lack of progress, etc. This may seem unfair, but most people aren't going to have the interest or patience to look beyond the most noticeable traits of teh project.
... Apparent lack of progress? What? I have no idea what you're talking about, they've clearly made a lot of progress. The whole point of this kickstarter is showing off their progress, after all. At least wait until they actually show their progress before you say they haven't made enough.

And it's only been 2 1/2 years since the kickstarter, not 3 years, and they're 1 1/2 years past their original completion date, not 3 years. It is late, but you exaggerate how much.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not rooting against the Coles, and I appreciate that you can provide some insights into the game that many of us don't have. However, this project does not look like it's in good shape from any perspective. Judging from comments at the kickstarter page some backers are going to have their own issues with the second campaign. Corey is getting into some minor tussles with backers, and I find his responses to be pretty damning.
Most of the comments in the update about how they spent the money are positive. Lots of positive responses to that there.

This is from a reply in that page:

@Jonathan Turner: Ref "Anyway, don't feel bad because you didn't know everything in minute detail before you started."

Actually that's a big difference between Kickstarter 2012 and Kickstarter 2015. Back then, most projects just had an idea and a few sketches. Today most very successful projects are well along in development and have a lot to show.

That's actually a major reason why we're doing this Kickstarter. We're ready for the 2015 version and want to show off some of the cool things we've developed over the last two years. We hope to attract many of the players who very realistically decided to "just wait and see" back in 2012.

At the same time, we also want to show our respect and thanks to you backers who supported us in 2012. For that reason, we've raised the price slightly on most of the tiers - The game will be $25 instead of $20, the boxed game is $80 instead of $75, and so on. The collector's edition includes choice of a t-shirt or cap this time, but is now $200 instead of $150.

We plan to launch the game at $29.95, so backers here will still get it at a discount, and everyone who backed in 2012 will get an even bigger discount.
He makes a good point about 2012 kickstarters versus kickstarters today. When they did this kickstarter, that kind of kickstarter with minimal details were indeed common. That changed afterwards, but you are clearly holding that against them even though when they did their kickstarter, the kind of kickstarter they did was totally normal. That's not right, don't blame them for expectations increasing after they did their kickstarterr!

inm8num said:
There's nothing wrong with other projects seeking funding from venture capitalists or publishers later on.
I think a LOT of people who back kickstarters would disagree with this statement! One of the major benefits of kickstarter is freeing people from having to deal with the controls (and taken-away-IP rights) of publishers. If people want publisher funding, they shouldn't also be on kickstarter, the whole point is to get away from that. I know, some kickstarters do use outside funding, and how much influence the people giving that funding have over the project is important -- if it's none, perhaps it'd be okay -- but still, I would prefer to see kickstarter games funded just by kickstarter.

"People who believe this project should be completely crowd-funded will back us", Corey Cole said in one of his posts you quote. I feel that way myself.

By that point they've made much progress and have a light and the end of the tunnel. I get the impression that this time around the Coles either tried to secure outside funding and failed (unlike the offer they had previously received as shown below), or they're in denial about the status of their own project compared to where those other projects were when they sought "vulture capitalists".
And I think that they're trying kickstarter first, because they know people prefer kickstarters to be funded through kickstarter, not kickstarter and also traditional publishers. They'd get definite pushback for any publisher deal beyond a basic publishing deal, and rightly so!

They knew $400k wasn't enough for even their initial game
Standard kickstarter procedure. Ask for what you think you can get, not your budget you want; unless you're lucky you won't get the full budget you want. Blaming them for this is crazy, this is how gaming kickstarters choose their starting number. This game is being made with a smaller budget than most of the Quest for Glory games, inflation aside (and inflation makes that gap even larger!). That's not ideal, but with kickstarter you have to take what you can get. Games are expensive, and as great as crowdfunding is, it doesn't get anyone who isn't Star Citizen a big budget.

(which would have used another game's tile-based engine and averted all the time and money lost to developing their 3D version of the game).
No, if they had stuck with that engine the game well might not have gotten funded at all. They started talking about expanding the scope before the end of the project because of getting so many QfG fans saying that what they really wanted was something more like QfG, not the much simpler (and less interesting) game they were proposing.

Honestly, with the benefit of hindsight, what they should have done is asked for a bit more money with a plan to make the game they're making now. I think that they'd have gotten more money had it been clear that it'd be more QfG-like than the original proposal was, but they scaled the proposal to the budget, and to the engine that that team they were initially working with had... which of course fell through when that team left a month after they got funded. But they couldn;'t have known any of this beforehand, so I don't blame them for it. Anyway, I want the game they are currently making, not the topdown 2d thing they started out proposing.

He's right about this, but it just reeks of poor management and planning before launching their campaign.
No, it just shows that they were out of options, and launched it when they had to. Sure, it'd be nice if they only had to ask for money now, but that wasn't an option. They did not have any other funding options when this kickstarter was put up in fall 2012. It's either kickstarter or nothing (remember, that outside funding offer he had was from 2013, not back when they started the kickstarter or before). Also, again, at that time kickstarters with that level of lacking info were common. Don't blame them for things that were fairly normal at the time just because now on kickstarter they aren't.

This is troubling because, again, Corey admits he had a chance to secure additional funding but turned it down. Regardless of what the "very high cost" was, he made a choice that essentially has resulted in need to ask the crowd for more money. But at the same time he's referenced "vulture capitalists", so it seems like a mix of misplaced resentment and denial about the reality of where his project stands.
Again, you seem to entirely miss the point of how great it is that kickstarter allows developers to get away from having to sign over all of their IP rights, etc. over to publishers just in order to get their games made, and that allows games like this to get made again! The best thing about the kickstarter games thing is that it gives people a way to get games like this, or Wasteland 2, or Broken Age, funding, for games that either would never have been funded otherwise, or that would have had so many catches in the funding that the developers would suffer.

Maybe this game is better than some game made with that would have been, or maybe not, who knows, but I'm very glad that an alternative to the publisher model appeared; Kickstarter games are one of the major things that helped bring back many nearly-dead types of PC games that publishers have no interest in funding because they don't make enough money. Publishers are not always bad, don't take me wrong, but the industry is better with more options. And again, if you're going to use kickstarter, yes, I would prefer people not then go get publisher funding... and if the Coles are doing a second kickstarter in order to stay away from that, then I support that for sure.

This is also concerning because I saw somewhere that the Coles have basically bet their home on this game. Nobody wants to see them fail, but the truth of the matter is:

- They went to Kickstarter unprepared with practically nothing to show (yes, other projects like Broken Age stands, but as unfair as it seems that's the truth).
- They knew their funding goal of $400k before fees/rewards/etc. was nowhere near enough.
- At least one of their initial developers left the project because they expected the project budget to be $800k.
- The Coles turned down an offer of a $500k investment.
- The game progress has been limited and uninspiring to some.
- 3 years later, the Coles have no choice but to ask existing backers and potential new ones for more money.
-On point one, as he pointed out that was normal for kickstarters in 2012. It's only later that standards for what people wanted from kickstarters changed, probably mostly because of Broken Age's issues (among other games).
- On point two, this is how kickstarter works. You ask for what you think you can get, not what you really want.
- For point 3, this isn't so bad. The end result is the game we have today, not that much more basic 2d game that would have been much less interesting, if that's the game that funding would have gotten us. So this is a net positive.
- For point 4, it's odd that you say this right before they show their current progress. You're throwing doubt on it without even looking at what they have to show, because they haven't shown it yet! It's still a few days off. Seriously.
- And for the last point,considering all the challenges they've had, it's just impressive they got this far without needing more money earlier.

Now, I do agree that they clearly were inexperienced with the modern game industry, and this probably did delay the game. They hadn't made a game since the late '90s, and that gap showed. For perhaps the most obvious example of this, the game probably would have been fully 3d much earlier, or maybe even from the beginning, if they'd known then what they realized by late 2013 (links in previous post). And I'm sure it took a while to get back into it, once development started. But they figured those things around and worked through them, and I don't mind the delays if they result in a good game in the end. As I've said though, that "if" is key.

This scenario simply does not look good at all. Quite frankly, it looks terrible. Corey has referenced delays and issues on other Kickstarter projects or even games from the Sierra days. My impression is that while it's nice to see him trying to remain optimistic, he's having a difficult time of understanding why people are reacting negatively to news of another crowdfunding campaign (even if for just $100k). I mean, he's already in damage control mode and barely anybody's talking about this. When the campaign launches I doubt opinions will be any more positive.
Once again, the reaction in the actual finances update was quite positive. You're looking hard for ways to criticize them, I think, but it's just not entirely accurate.

I don't think the Coles have made any decision in bad faith or with any intent to deceive anyone (obviously), but all of the above is why I didn't back the project. It simply didn't look like a game that needed to be made or had any kind of clear vision or capable management behind it.
You didn't think it looked like a game that needed to be made? As a big fan of the Quest for Glory games, I thought that just about any new game from the creators of that series, who hadn't made a game since QfG V, needed to be made!

Again, I know that's unfair given 87,000 people donated to Double Fine simply on an idea of an 'old-school point and click adventure', but by the time the Coles came to Kickstarter expectations changed and people were more selective with how they supported projects. Corey keeps referencing Broken Age and their need to split the game, fund it with other means, etc.
Expectations had changed by the time Hero-U reached kickstarter? What? No, they really hadn't. I don't think there was some huge shift between, say, the Two Guys SpaceVenture in May (another game funded with very limited details) and Hero-U in October (both 2012), or even Broken Age earlier that year. And if there was some, Hero-U did a MUCH better job than Broken Age of actually having a plan. Yeah, that plan didn't happen, but the kickstarter had a real game being proposed, with gameplay details and everything. That's not the case with Broken Age, they had nothing beyond "well it'll be an adventure game from Tim Schaefer". And as much as I loved Lucasarts adventure games, I wanted more details than that; that's why I only backed Double Fine Adventure at the basic digital-download tier, not a higher one. Hero-U had more details than that, and by the end of the kickstarter it was clear that it was going to be more than the original proposal. So, I backed it at a bit higher tier (the boxed tier, $75). Sure, nostalgia for QfG is part of why I backed it, but I'm sure that's true for a lot of the backers.

Even so, at launch Tim Schafer was the head of a company that had put out a few games by that point. Hero-U has sadly shown how unprepared the Coles were to manage a project like this.
Sure, I said earlier that yes, their 12+ year break out of the games industry surely caused some issues at first. There was a lot to learn! But there's no "sadly" about it; they did learn those things, and worked through them. I certainly didn't predict all of the twists the game would go through, but they always were open and transparent, always kept the updates coming -- yes, I think it was key that this isn't one of those projects where the creator went dark for a long time -- and kept working on the game. And anyway, you're blaming them for some things I don't think it's fair to blame them for, in addition to some where it is.

Overall, I think that they have done a good job, and I'm glad I backed the game.

Once more, I'm not trying to rag on or incite negativity toward the Coles. I feel extremely, genuinely awful for them.
It kind of sounds like you are, though, and kickstarter in general as well... I at least think that had they gone and gotten money from some publisher to finish the game that'd have had probably more, not less, criticism than going for a second kickstarter has!

Justinh

I was a little upset that I forgot to back this on Kickstarter back in the day because I loved the first QfG. I think I'm kinda over kickstarting things, though. I'll have to go through this thread, at least the last couple days and see what's going on.

inm8num2

Even though I wrote that post with numerous disclaimers about not trying to pick on the Coles, but rather to look at the nuts and bolts of the situation, I get the sense you've taken my criticisms as personally motivated attacks on them, or you've otherwise gotten defensive from what I think are legitimate, fair criticisms.

Nevertheless, I apologize to others for the length and quote walls. There really wasn't any other way...

And I, and I think quite a few other series fans as well, wanted more than just that basic top-down 2d game.
They went into their campaign with one proposed game, and they found out that people wanted something entirely different. That's precisely why they're in this predicament.

The move to 3d was, as he explained there, done in order to make some of those things you talk about easier.
Acknowledged, but you're focusing on the move from non tile-based 2D to 3D. You're omitting the fact that their initial pitch was for a tile-based game using an existing game engine. Forget about what is "better" or "easier" - their pitch and $400k goal were for a tile-based 2D game (and they still estimated they'd need much more than $400k to actually finish the game).

Then they decided to not use that engine - that means more production costs on building a 2D engine. Then they moved to 3D to make it easier on themselves. All of this had to be done with that $400k that Corey admitted was not enough for the initial scenario of not even developing an engine at all.

The bottom line is that it hurt them in the long run, given their limited budget. Any way you cut it, poor planning.

... Apparent lack of progress? What? I have no idea what you're talking about, they've clearly made a lot of progress. The whole point of this kickstarter is showing off their progress, after all. At least wait until they actually show their progress before you say they haven't made enough.

The overall progress has been slow. I've been subscribed to their KS updates and their own website's RSS feed. Corey himself said in numerous updates in the past that they were burning through the funds very slowly, when they were trying to redesign the game or find new people to hire. I can't view backer-only updates, but from what I can tell they had to scrap everything in late 2013 after that first combat demo and improve the graphics, among other things.

Define "a lot of progress". How much of the game is written/programmed? They're going to release a combat demo for the kickstarter. That's going to make or break perceptions about their progress. If it's positive, great. If not, it's going to compound the existing criticisms.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this, but these are criticisms made earnestly and sincerely. To the casual viewer, it's a long time and not much tangible progress. If the Coles can demonstrate much of the actual game has been done, that will help them.

And it's only been 2 1/2 years since the kickstarter, not 3 years, and they're 1 1/2 years past their original completion date, not 3 years. It is late, but you exaggerate how much.

Okay, 2.5 years (I rounded) - 2.5 years since funding. We're talking total production time of 2.5 years.

I said 3 years have passed. Nowhere did I say it was 3 years since the estimated completion date.

Most of the comments in the update about how they spent the money are positive. Lots of positive responses to that there.

There are some supportive comments and some critical and disappointed comments. Here are some mixed/negative comments on the main comments section since May 1. I will also state in bold that I am not posting all these comments to spread negativity about the project. I am using these comments to back up my observation that there are numerous mixed/negative reactions from backers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9769519#comment-9769518
Doromo on May 1

I was hoping for something more as well. The demo was about 5 minutes worth of game play and from the looks of it, it was disappointing.
I feel you jumped in head over backwards with your idea and had no idea how hard it would be to start from only a concept. I only wish you had a 'real' concept of what you were heading into before you started your first original kickstarter. I don't know if I will back your next kickstarter based on this demo. I'm sad to see this happen, as I was truly excited to see a new generation of QFG in the 21st century but see it might not be possible with the team you have with you at this point and the direction you are going. :(

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9805071#comment-9805070
mbpopolano24 3 days ago

In case you are wondering what's being proposed under the 'backers only' update, they are asking for more money... directly from the horse's mouth:

It's full of pearls of wisdom like the above... yes, let's be a nice community and send them a few more checks... look, the math is simple: if all the backers would just give a thousand dollars each, they could finally be rich... it just take a small sacrifice from our beloved community... come one guys, why not?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9806183#comment-9806182
Ulysis 3 days ago

And this is why I hardly ever give money to Kickstarters.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9806527#comment-9806526
Jason Spivey 3 days ago

This is very disappointing news. I do not see myself giving anymore money. Was looking forward to a great game I used to play in my youth. Guess you win some and lose some.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9806970#comment-9806969
redeicarciofi 3 days ago

I'd like to ask for a refund. Anybody knows how?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9808236#comment-9808235
Sean 3 days ago

I wanted to see Hero U succeed like anyone else who backed it, but I feel the project has just been coasting along on fan goodwill for too long. How do you expect people to give you 200k more? Where did our money go? Why did it go there? Why won't it go there again? What would you do differently? What is going to make fans that haven't backed the original Kickstarter to give you money? Why did you overshoot the original release date of October 2013 and why are we still waiting? Why weren't the gameplay basics nailed down in stone before the original Kickstarter? Why were physical rewards such a big part of the original Kickstarter? Why weren't the physical rewards budgeted more carefully? Why did you trash the progress on the development and start completely over TWICE? Why have the people working on development quit so many times? Where did original work go? What do you think the gaming press is going to make of this? I'm really frustrated beyond belief with Hero U. With news of the second Kickstarter, I've given up hope. I feel this is $400,000 crowdfunded vaporware. It'll be a small miracle if there's even a finished project, let alone one that lives up to Quest for Glory.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9814224#comment-9814223
Kevin Willock 2 days ago

It's the risk of kickstarter. but this project has officially died. A lack of management led to failed promises (mac? anyone?) and something that won't get finished. Cut your losses.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9820398#comment-9820397
Brian Ellis 1 day ago

I thought your last update was condescending and tone deaf, but now it just seems naive. While I'm sure you put the bit about your mortgage out there to show your passion, it felt manipulative and made me want to wash my hands of this project. After a day of reading the comments and thinking about it, I'm just sad to see all the people urging me to give so that you don't lose your house. I truly wish you the best, but I want you to keep your house far more than I want to see this game. If you handed me the keys to the car, I'd probably just cancel this project and tell you to return the money and keep your house. I know it's been 2.5 years, but you can't keep throwing good money after bad.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9821931#comment-9821930
Artimis Lincoln 1 day ago

I implore you, please abandon this project.

I'll write off my $50.00 donation as an expensive way to get another legal copy of the Quest for Glory series. Obviously I'm extremely disappointed that this failed to materialize virtually anything after two years and $400,000.

I do feel as though, in some ways, our money was stolen, either by unbelievably bad management, unbelievably bad luck, or unbelievably unrealistic expectations. Maybe all three. But I implore you not to ask for more money on Kickstarter. I would much rather you take whatever you have, and bring it to a publisher and hope for the best. This has already tarnished the legacy of some legendary, and extremely beloved games. Please don't hurt that legacy any more.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ption/comments?cursor=9824067#comment-9824066
Michelangelo Fiore about 17 hours ago

I whish you the best luck and hope you can finish hero-u, making a game that is worthy of your legacy. At this stage, unfortunately, I wouldn't back you up a second time but I'm willing to do it if I'm shown something convincing! (perhaps some creative puzzling or gameplay section)
This is from a reply in that page:

He makes a good point about 2012 kickstarters versus kickstarters today. When they did this kickstarter, that kind of kickstarter with minimal details were indeed common. That changed afterwards, but you are clearly holding that against them even though when they did their kickstarter, the kind of kickstarter they did was totally normal. That's not right, don't blame them for expectations increasing after they did their kickstarterr!

No. I am not blaming or holding anything against them, and I advise you to not make such assumptions. You need to separate making critical observations of cause and effect from the act of "holding that against them".

Nowhere did I blame the Coles for expectations increasing after they did their kickstarter. I said that by the time the Coles came to Kickstarter, people had generally higher expectations of the presentation of the campaigns and were more selective with choosing what to back. This is true, and it's part of why they struggled to get funded. People simply expected more from the pitch and gameplan than what the Coles initially presented. They even changed their pitch video during the campaign as a result of the feedback.

I remember reading comments on a few different forums, and not many people were impressed with the pitch. Many people pledged out of support for the Coles and confidence that they could make a great game. And I wouldn't hold that against anyone ever. I backed a couple campaigns like Spaceventure mainly because of who was behind the project, rather than my interest in the project itself.

I think a LOT of people who back kickstarters would disagree with this statement! One of the major benefits of kickstarter is freeing people from having to deal with the controls (and taken-away-IP rights) of publishers. If people want publisher funding, they shouldn't also be on kickstarter, the whole point is to get away from that. I know, some kickstarters do use outside funding, and how much influence the people giving that funding have over the project is important -- if it's none, perhaps it'd be okay -- but still, I would prefer to see kickstarter games funded just by kickstarter.

"People who believe this project should be completely crowd-funded will back us", Corey Cole said in one of his posts you quote. I feel that way myself.

As long as that venture capital or publisher deal doesn't interfere with the creative process, then no there wouldn't be much of an issue if the deal was made to help the developers finish the game. I agree that the major benefit of KS was to give the creative people full control over their work, but even Corey admits he made a big mistake passing on a $500k investment offer.

Bigger projects like Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity made publisher deals to help with things like physical releases while retaining creative control over their games (IIRC those deals didn't give the respective projects extra funds for development). That's obviously different than Hero-U's case, but at face value seeking extra funding from entities apart from the backers doesn't have to be a bad thing. Most KS backers tend to be supportive and understanding in these types of matters because, above all, they want to see the project succeed. They have a personal and financial interest in that outcome.

(reply continued below due to character limit)

inm8num2

And I think that they're trying kickstarter first, because they know people prefer kickstarters to be funded through kickstarter, not kickstarter and also traditional publishers. They'd get definite pushback for any publisher deal beyond a basic publishing deal, and rightly so!

They're doing another KS because it's their last resort, and at this point I doubt a publisher would support this project. If I were the Coles I would do a flex funding campaign rather than an all-or-none campaign. That way if they didn't meet the $100k goal, they could still use whatever funds people pledged.

Standard kickstarter procedure. Ask for what you think you can get, not your budget you want; unless you're lucky you won't get the full budget you want. Blaming them for this is crazy, this is how gaming kickstarters choose their starting number. This game is being made with a smaller budget than most of the Quest for Glory games, inflation aside (and inflation makes that gap even larger!). That's not ideal, but with kickstarter you have to take what you can get. Games are expensive, and as great as crowdfunding is, it doesn't get anyone who isn't Star Citizen a big budget.

Again that word - 'blame'. There's no blame here. It's cause and effect. Observations. One thing leads to another.

Many KS projects have had to ask for less than they actually need to ensure getting something rather than nothing. No disagreement there. Some games go episodic, some seek venture or angel investors, etc. Dreamfall Chapters raised $1.5 million ($850k funded) and they still had to split the game up. It happens. Nevertheless, you're not looking at the bigger picture in the case of Hero-U. $400k was not enough for a tile-based game based on an existing engine. For various reasons already discussed Hero-U moved from 2D tile-based game to doing their own 2D engine then to 3D... all on the budget for a 2D tile-based game.

The point is that they drastically changed and expanded their game design from the original design for which they estimated $400k was not enough. This is not blaming - I get why they made that choice. But from a budget and production standpoint, it was extremely harmful to their chance of completing a game on that given budget. And for reasons unbeknownst to me, which I don't presume to be invalid, the Coles turned down $500k.

No, if they had stuck with that engine the game well might not have gotten funded at all. They started talking about expanding the scope before the end of the project because of getting so many QfG fans saying that what they really wanted was something more like QfG, not the much simpler (and less interesting) game they were proposing.

I've already addressed this in previous parts of the reply. Nobody is claiming that the game would have absolutely been funded in its original presentation (2D tile-based). I am claiming that the choice to change their vision and plans in order to become funded at all, albeit for an obsolete budget estimate, has not worked out well for them. At all.

Honestly, with the benefit of hindsight, what they should have done is asked for a bit more money with a plan to make the game they're making now. I think that they'd have gotten more money had it been clear that it'd be more QfG-like than the original proposal was, but they scaled the proposal to the budget, and to the engine that that team they were initially working with had... which of course fell through when that team left a month after they got funded. But they couldn;'t have known any of this beforehand, so I don't blame them for it. Anyway, I want the game they are currently making, not the topdown 2d thing they started out proposing.

Corey himself said they should have spent 6 months working on the project before launching a KS. As quoted in my post above, he also said that one of the team members left because they expected the project to have closer to an $800k budget.

I don't know how else to really convey this string of events. The campaign only asked for and made $400k, at least $200k less than actually needed. The Coles hired someone with the understanding that the game would have a budget closer to $800k, and they'd either use their own funds or possibly seek other sources of funding to fill the gap. The team member left because the conditions of the project were not as agreed upon or otherwise initially presented. This is poor planning and management.

No, it just shows that they were out of options, and launched it when they had to. Sure, it'd be nice if they only had to ask for money now, but that wasn't an option. They did not have any other funding options when this kickstarter was put up in fall 2012. It's either kickstarter or nothing (remember, that outside funding offer he had was from 2013, not back when they started the kickstarter or before). Also, again, at that time kickstarters with that level of lacking info were common. Don't blame them for things that were fairly normal at the time just because now on kickstarter they aren't.

Nonsense. The Coles didn't have to launch the project at any time. Nobody forced them. They chose to launch it when they did, and in Corey's own words they went in unprepared. That lack of preparation caused later design changes, personnel turnover, etc. that have eaten up their limited budget and led to the present situation. Cause and effect.

Again, you seem to entirely miss the point of how great it is that kickstarter allows developers to get away from having to sign over all of their IP rights, etc. over to publishers just in order to get their games made, and that allows games like this to get made again! The best thing about the kickstarter games thing is that it gives people a way to get games like this, or Wasteland 2, or Broken Age, funding, for games that either would never have been funded otherwise, or that would have had so many catches in the funding that the developers would suffer.

No, I didn't miss any point. I was commenting on Corey's remarks about "vulture capitalists". Quite frankly, the Coles aren't in a position to say they don't want to seek out "vulture capitalists". If he had valid reasons to turn down that $500k, one of which could have been relinquishing creative control, then I understand. I supported plenty of Kickstarter projects during 2012 primarily because I wanted to give developers I love the opportunity to make games on their own terms. You are wrong in assuming my view of crowdfunding is otherwise.

Maybe this game is better than some game made with that would have been, or maybe not, who knows, but I'm very glad that an alternative to the publisher model appeared; Kickstarter games are one of the major things that helped bring back many nearly-dead types of PC games that publishers have no interest in funding because they don't make enough money. Publishers are not always bad, don't take me wrong, but the industry is better with more options. And again, if you're going to use kickstarter, yes, I would prefer people not then go get publisher funding... and if the Coles are doing a second kickstarter in order to stay away from that, then I support that for sure.

And I fully, 100% understand why Corey is going to KS again. In his words $100k is too small to ask from investors, and he doesn't really have any other options. Nobody ever wants to ask backers for more money - that is a last resort. The Coles have to use it because at this point their project does not look attractive to any investors.

-On point one, as he pointed out that was normal for kickstarters in 2012. It's only later that standards for what people wanted from kickstarters changed, probably mostly because of Broken Age's issues (among other games).
- On point two, this is how kickstarter works. You ask for what you think you can get, not what you really want.
- For point 3, this isn't so bad. The end result is the game we have today, not that much more basic 2d game that would have been much less interesting, if that's the game that funding would have gotten us. So this is a net positive.
All those points already discussed above.
- For point 4, it's odd that you say this right before they show their current progress. You're throwing doubt on it without even looking at what they have to show, because they haven't shown it yet! It's still a few days off. Seriously.

I have seen what's been in public updates. I've read backer comments on other forums in which people have expressed disappointment over the past 1.5 years since that first combat demo. I haven't simply thrown doubt on the project - I referenced other people's opinions and echoed them, hence the supplementary "...to some."
- And for the last point,considering all the challenges they've had, it's just impressive they got this far without needing more money earlier.
I'll just say I agree with the underlined part but for slightly different reasons.

I shouldn't say this, and to be clear I haven't used the following as part of any of my arguments: I was at GDC in March 2013 and had a chance to mingle with some adventure game developers and others in the industry. More than one person told me that the Coles were already considering doing another crowdfunding campaign. This was from credible people. That's March 2013...two years ago, just a few months after Hero-U was funded. I thought the second campaign would come sooner, and I'm genuinely impressed they've managed to last on that budget for so long. The unfortunate part is that, as said before, they've essentially bet their mortgage on this game.

Now, I do agree that they clearly were inexperienced with the modern game industry, and this probably did delay the game. They hadn't made a game since the late '90s, and that gap showed. For perhaps the most obvious example of this, the game probably would have been fully 3d much earlier, or maybe even from the beginning, if they'd known then what they realized by late 2013 (links in previous post). And I'm sure it took a while to get back into it, once development started. But they figured those things around and worked through them, and I don't mind the delays if they result in a good game in the end. As I've said though, that "if" is key.

Of course everyone wants to see the Coles succeed and make a good game in the end, but they've clearly struggled and much of that is the result of poor initial planning.

Once again, the reaction in the actual finances update was quite positive. You're looking hard for ways to criticize them, I think, but it's just not entirely accurate.

I can't see the finances update so I will take your word, but I'm referencing the public comments section.

And you are 100% wrong about me "looking hard for ways to criticize them". I don't know how many times I have to say I am rooting for the Coles. This is criticism. I have done my best to be objective - I may not succeed 100%, but there is no grudge or ill will toward the Coles. If you think my criticisms are harsh, they will probably seem tame in comparison to what others say in the coming weeks.

You didn't think it looked like a game that needed to be made? As a big fan of the Quest for Glory games, I thought that just about any new game from the creators of that series, who hadn't made a game since QfG V, needed to be made!

Honestly, no. I was really excited that the Coles were doing a new project, but when it launched it fell flat for me. Then they made some changes to ensure they'd be funded, but I just did not have enough confidence that the project as imagined was a risk worth taking. And that's where I think we differ - you would have loved to see "just about any new game" from them, but I would have loved to see a game that had more planning and clearer design goals behind it.

Expectations had changed by the time Hero-U reached kickstarter? What? No, they really hadn't. I don't think there was some huge shift between, say, the Two Guys SpaceVenture in May (another game funded with very limited details) and Hero-U in October (both 2012), or even Broken Age earlier that year. And if there was some, Hero-U did a MUCH better job than Broken Age of actually having a plan. Yeah, that plan didn't happen, but the kickstarter had a real game being proposed, with gameplay details and everything. That's not the case with Broken Age, they had nothing beyond "well it'll be an adventure game from Tim Schaefer". And as much as I loved Lucasarts adventure games, I wanted more details than that; that's why I only backed Double Fine Adventure at the basic digital-download tier, not a higher one. Hero-U had more details than that, and by the end of the kickstarter it was clear that it was going to be more than the original proposal. So, I backed it at a bit higher tier (the boxed tier, $75). Sure, nostalgia for QfG is part of why I backed it, but I'm sure that's true for a lot of the backers.

You're arguing two different points here, that

a) Expectations of kickstarters hadn't changed between the time Double Fine and Hero-U launched their campaigns.

b) Hero-U did a much better job than Double Fine of having a plan.

Regarding (a), people threw $3.3+ million at Double Fine Adventure without knowing what the hell it was. Jane Jensen managed to make $450k ($300 asking) after a very slow start and mixed reactions. Tex Murphy struggled. So did Spaceventure. Even within 2-3 months after Double Fine's campaign finished, adventure game kickstarters were having a hard time. There was talk of "Kickstarter fatigue" during the summer of 2012. By the time Hero-U launched, people had higher standards and tighter wallets than they did in February.

As for (b), the Coles had a basic plan but it wasn't a very good or clearly thought-out one (hence all the changes). Double Fine's plan was to make an 'old school point and click adventure' and make a documentary of the process. Yes, they didn't have an actual plan for the game, but their presentation for what they wanted to do ("make old school point and click, film process") was clear.

Honestly, I don't think the Coles made much more of a detailed plan at the beginning of their campaign. Double Fine was 'old school point and click'. Hero-U was 'tile-based adventure/RPG'. Yes, Hero-U had some concept art and basic story notes, but the actual game design plan was not significantly "better". That's why they got the criticism they did and had to retool their campaign.

Sure, I said earlier that yes, their 12+ year break out of the games industry surely caused some issues at first. There was a lot to learn! But there's no "sadly" about it; they did learn those things, and worked through them. I certainly didn't predict all of the twists the game would go through, but they always were open and transparent, always kept the updates coming -- yes, I think it was key that this isn't one of those projects where the creator went dark for a long time -- and kept working on the game. And anyway, you're blaming them for some things I don't think it's fair to blame them for, in addition to some where it is.

Overall, I think that they have done a good job, and I'm glad I backed the game.

Please stop using the word blame. You're making this personal when it isn't. You have emotional investment to this project, I get that - I even said in my above post that I appreciated the perspective you could bring to avoid this kind of response. You've unfortunately misconstrued my criticisms as "blame". The Coles are the project leads and managers. They are responsible for the decisions they've made and the status of the project. That isn't "blame" - it's reality. Leaders take responsibility. Corey himself has taken responsibility and admitted mistakes.

It kind of sounds like you are, though, and kickstarter in general as well... I at least think that had they gone and gotten money from some publisher to finish the game that'd have had probably more, not less, criticism than going for a second kickstarter has!

And this is where I call bullshit. I spelled out numerous times that I wasn't trying to rag on the Coles. This is the nature of the situation they're in right now. You've projected some kind of personal motivation onto me. I have zero investment in this project, emotionally or financially. I shared my opinion and cited actual quotes to support observational criticisms.

As for you claiming I'm somehow being negative toward "kickstarter in general"? This is hilariously absurd. I supported plenty of projects, campaigned for them, and am glad to have done so. Nowhere in ANY of my comments did I criticize "kickstarter in general". You have confused criticizing one Kickstarter project (which I did) with criticizing the Kickstarter/crowdfunding process (which I didn't do). I have no idea how you drew that ridiculous conclusion.

They're doing another KS because it's their last resort, and at this point I doubt a publisher would support this project. If I were the Coles I would do a flex funding campaign rather than an all-or-none campaign. That way if they didn't meet the $100k goal, they could still use whatever funds people pledged.
I don't think Kickstarter allows flex funding, and you'll get more money on Kickstarter than those other sites that do... so I understand sticking with Kickstarter, though yes, it is a risk; I don't know if I'm expecting this campaign to succeed or not, it could go either way.

Again that word - 'blame'. There's no blame here. It's cause and effect. Observations. One thing leads to another.

Many KS projects have had to ask for less than they actually need to ensure getting something rather than nothing. No disagreement there. Some games go episodic, some seek venture or angel investors, etc. Dreamfall Chapters raised $1.5 million ($850k funded) and they still had to split the game up. It happens. Nevertheless, you're not looking at the bigger picture in the case of Hero-U. $400k was not enough for a tile-based game based on an existing engine. For various reasons already discussed Hero-U moved from 2D tile-based game to doing their own 2D engine then to 3D... all on the budget for a 2D tile-based game.

The point is that they drastically changed and expanded their game design from the original design for which they estimated $400k was not enough. This is not blaming - I get why they made that choice. But from a budget and production standpoint, it was extremely harmful to their chance of completing a game on that given budget.
The problem here is, they didn't get the funding to make that basic 2d game -- the studio that would have made it is the one that left because they wanted/expected more money than the kickstarter made (without saying how much they expected/needed to the Coles beforehand, apparently)!

Given that, I don't see how what you're saying here actually leads to them making any game at all. There'd be no topdown 2d game, because the funding wasn't there. But there well might not be the game they're making now either, because with no funding, how could they start work on the game? So... what, no new game from the Coles? That would have been really unfortunate, when they wanted to make one...

And for reasons unbeknownst to me, which I don't presume to be invalid, the Coles turned down $500k.

Ive already addressed this in previous parts of the reply. Nobody is claiming that the game would have absolutely been funded in its original presentation (2D tile-based). I am claiming that the choice to change their vision and plans in order to become funded at all, albeit for an obsolete budget estimate, has not worked out well for them. At all.
How so? They've been working on the game ever since, they have a decent-looking game that's pretty far along, it's something a lot more like what QfG series fans want than the original proposal was... unless it turns out as a bad game (& financial failure), I think it'll have worked out in the end, no question.

As I've before, I'd rather see them make a game more like the game I want than something I (& many other QfG fans) probably wouldn't like as much, so while I do wonder if what they've done with this game makes financial sense, if the results are a good game, it'll probably be worth it...

Corey himself said they should have spent 6 months working on the project before launching a KS. As quoted in my post above, he also said that one of the team members left because they expected the project to have closer to an $800k budget.

I don't know how else to really convey this string of events. The campaign only asked for and made $400k, at least $200k less than actually needed. The Coles hired someone with the understanding that the game would have a budget closer to $800k, and they'd either use their own funds or possibly seek other sources of funding to fill the gap. The team member left because the conditions of the project were not as agreed upon or otherwise initially presented. This is poor planning and management.
From this you make it sound like they should have known that those people would leave, but they didn't; they made it clear that they had no idea that that team wasn't going to work on the game unless funding hit $800k. I don't think it makes sense to criticize them about their money target when asking for what you can get and not what you want is something that as you agree most gaming kickstarters do, and they didn't know that the studio they were working with needed a higher number or they were out.

Nonsense. The Coles didn't have to launch the project at any time. Nobody forced them. They chose to launch it when they did, and in Corey's own words they went in unprepared. That lack of preparation caused later design changes, personnel turnover, etc. that have eaten up their limited budget and led to the present situation. Cause and effect.
Considering how long they'd been out of the industry, I imagine that anytime they started the kickstarter they were going to be unprepared -- they needed the money to fully start development, after all... so I just don't see a way around this.

The quote I posted about how they and SpaceVenture both went down the same path from 2d to 3d is further evidence of this. Yes, they didn't know modern development, but they needed funding to start up again, and publishers were not going to be giving them that money, I don't have much doubt about that.

No, I didn't miss any point. I was commenting on Corey's remarks about "vulture capitalists". Quite frankly, the Coles aren't in a position to say they don't want to seek out "vulture capitalists". If he had valid reasons to turn down that $500k, one of which could have been relinquishing creative control, then I understand. I supported plenty of Kickstarter projects during 2012 primarily because I wanted to give developers I love the opportunity to make games on their own terms. You are wrong in assuming my view of crowdfunding is otherwise.
If you backed some projects then because of that, though, then why are you encouraging the Coles to go get outside funding instead of Kickstarter?

And I fully, 100% understand why Corey is going to KS again. In his words $100k is too small to ask from investors, and he doesn't really have any other options. Nobody ever wants to ask backers for more money - that is a last resort. The Coles have to use it because at this point their project does not look attractive to any investors.
He did say that they were keeping it crowdfunded. I guess you think that he's not telling the truth there and actually can't find investors? Maybe so, but I think that he's probably telling the truth when he said that they wanted to keep it crowdfunded...

I have seen what's been in public updates. I've read backer comments on other forums in which people have expressed disappointment over the past 1.5 years since that first combat demo. I haven't simply thrown doubt on the project - I referenced other people's opinions and echoed them, hence the supplementary "...to some."
And our difference here is, I guess, that you seem to agree more with the critics, while I agree more with the defenders of the project. I have some criticisms -- I'm not entirely convinced by the graphics, but I'll need to see more than that one room to know -- but the gameplay, writing, etc. is sounding good.

I'll just say I agree with the underlined part but for slightly different reasons.

I shouldn't say this, and to be clear I haven't used the following as part of any of my arguments: I was at GDC in March 2013 and had a chance to mingle with some adventure game developers and others in the industry. More than one person told me that the Coles were already considering doing another crowdfunding campaign. This was from credible people. That's March 2013...two years ago, just a few months after Hero-U was funded. I thought the second campaign would come sooner, and I'm genuinely impressed they've managed to last on that budget for so long. The unfortunate part is that, as said before, they've essentially bet their mortgage on this game.
The hardest part is just ahead: When they finally get to the point where other people start to play the game and we see if it's good.

Of course everyone wants to see the Coles succeed and make a good game in the end, but they've clearly struggled and much of that is the result of poor initial planning.
When you leave the industry for 12 years, some issues when you get back in are expected. And considering that I didn't love the original plan, that the trend of the project has been towards something more like what I'd want is of course a key factor for me.

I can't see the finances update so I will take your word, but I'm referencing the public comments section.
The public comments are much harsher (not uniformly so, but harsher) than the ones in the most recent backers-only update.

And you are 100% wrong about me "looking hard for ways to criticize them". I don't know how many times I have to say I am rooting for the Coles. This is criticism. I have done my best to be objective - I may not succeed 100%, but there is no grudge or ill will toward the Coles. If you think my criticisms are harsh, they will probably seem tame in comparison to what others say in the coming weeks.
I think a lot of that will depend on what they have to say and show in the new kickstarter. For backers showing the numbers (it's been quoted in this thread) definitely helped, but I'm sure others will be more interested in how the game looks and plays now...

Honestly, no. I was really excited that the Coles were doing a new project, but when it launched it fell flat for me. Then they made some changes to ensure they'd be funded, but I just did not have enough confidence that the project as imagined was a risk worth taking. And that's where I think we differ - you would have loved to see "just about any new game" from them, but I would have loved to see a game that had more planning and clearer design goals behind it.
I backed it because I wanted to see a new game from them, even one like the original plan that wasn't what I would really want from them (eg a new QfG-style game). Then I raised the amount near the end because I thought they needed the support and because I liked the direction that the updates had been moving towards, towards having more RPG elements, etc.

But sure, if you only want to back kickstarters with a clear and focused plan that are already well into development, certainly, it wasn't something to put money behind.

You're arguing two different points here, that

a) Expectations of kickstarters hadn't changed between the time Double Fine and Hero-U launched their campaigns.

b) Hero-U did a much better job than Double Fine of having a plan.

Regarding (a), people threw $3.3+ million at Double Fine Adventure without knowing what the hell it was. Jane Jensen managed to make $450k ($300 asking) after a very slow start and mixed reactions. Tex Murphy struggled. So did Spaceventure. Even within 2-3 months after Double Fine's campaign finished, adventure game kickstarters were having a hard time. There was talk of "Kickstarter fatigue" during the summer of 2012. By the time Hero-U launched, people had higher standards and tighter wallets than they did in February.
I don't think things had changed quite as quickly as you say. Standards for kickstarters have definitely gone up over time. But regardless, they definitely had a more complete plan than Double Fine Adventure. With hindsight there's a lot that could or should have been changed, but that's not something they could necessarily have known beforehand.

You're right that Double Fine Adventure made a lot more money than the following adventure game kickstarters, though, sure.

As for (b), the Coles had a basic plan but it wasn't a very good or clearly thought-out one (hence all the changes). Double Fine's plan was to make an 'old school point and click adventure' and make a documentary of the process. Yes, they didn't have an actual plan for the game, but their presentation for what they wanted to do ("make old school point and click, film process") was clear.

Honestly, I don't think the Coles made much more of a detailed plan at the beginning of their campaign. Double Fine was 'old school point and click'. Hero-U was 'tile-based adventure/RPG'. Yes, Hero-U had some concept art and basic story notes, but the actual game design plan was not significantly "better". That's why they got the criticism they did and had to retool their campaign.
I think they did have a plan. It wasn't finished, and didn't get funded, but they did have one. It's just that people didn't want to fund that plan, so they had to change plans in order to get funded, to make something more like their older games but still built around the school and character framework they had designed for the original version of the game.

And that's where I think it differs from Double Fine Adventure -- Double Fine really had nothing beyond "adventure game, probably Lucasarts-ish, Tim Schaefer". The Coles had a main character, a backstory, a world, a setting, a gameplay concept, etc. Lots more detail.

Please stop using the word blame. You're making this personal when it isn't. You have emotional investment to this project, I get that - I even said in my above post that I appreciated the perspective you could bring to avoid this kind of response. You've unfortunately misconstrued my criticisms as "blame". The Coles are the project leads and managers. They are responsible for the decisions they've made and the status of the project. That isn't "blame" - it's reality. Leaders take responsibility. Corey himself has taken responsibility and admitted mistakes.

And this is where I call bullshit. I spelled out numerous times that I wasn't trying to rag on the Coles. This is the nature of the situation they're in right now. You've projected some kind of personal motivation onto me. I have zero investment in this project, emotionally or financially. I shared my opinion and cited actual quotes to support observational criticisms.
You're focusing on the negatives, and not the positives. There are a lot of positives, as well as some negatives.

As for you claiming I'm somehow being negative toward "kickstarter in general"? This is hilariously absurd. I supported plenty of projects, campaigned for them, and am glad to have done so. Nowhere in ANY of my comments did I criticize "kickstarter in general". You have confused criticizing one Kickstarter project (which I did) with criticizing the Kickstarter/crowdfunding process (which I didn't do). I have no idea how you drew that ridiculous conclusion.
There I was mostly referring to your comments that they should have taken external funding, something I kind of think as being against the spirit of kickstarter. Yeah, a lot of studios do it, but if you're crowdfunding your game you should crowdfund it... but if I'm misunderstanding your position on Kickstarter, sorry about that. Then, where do you think the line between kickstarter and outside funding should be, for games that are on kickstarter?

inm8num2

I don't think Kickstarter allows flex funding, and you'll get more money on Kickstarter than those other sites that do... so I understand sticking with Kickstarter, though yes, it is a risk; I don't know if I'm expecting this campaign to succeed or not, it could go either way.
I had IndieGoGo in mind. It's not as popular a platform as KS but there'd be no risk of failure.

The problem here is, they didn't get the funding to make that basic 2d game -- the studio that would have made it is the one that left because they wanted/expected more money than the kickstarter made (without saying how much they expected/needed to the Coles beforehand, apparently)!

Given that, I don't see how what you're saying here actually leads to them making any game at all. There'd be no topdown 2d game, because the funding wasn't there. But there well might not be the game they're making now either, because with no funding, how could they start work on the game? So... what, no new game from the Coles? That would have been really unfortunate, when they wanted to make one...

The logic here evades me. The Coles asked for less money than they needed for a 2D tile-based game with a usable engine, so they had to make a more expensive game? If the funding wasn't there for the first idea, then it wasn't there for the idea that required them to spend nearly 2 years developing a 2D engine, scrapping that, developing a 3D engine (first combat demo), scrapping that, and restarting again.

The original programmers/artists/whoever left because they were told the game would have a larger budget. In reality, it didn't. There are two primary scenarios here:

a) The Coles did not clearly explain the actual required budget of the project to the original team.
b) The Coles were unable to guarantee or ensure the extra funding as agreed upon.

How so? They've been working on the game ever since, they have a decent-looking game that's pretty far along, it's something a lot more like what QfG series fans want than the original proposal was... unless it turns out as a bad game (& financial failure), I think it'll have worked out in the end, no question.

As I've before, I'd rather see them make a game more like the game I want than something I (& many other QfG fans) probably wouldn't like as much, so while I do wonder if what they've done with this game makes financial sense, if the results are a good game, it'll probably be worth it...

The project looks in bad shape. It doesn't look "pretty far along". Writing and design could be near completion, but it seems there's quite a bit of programming and actual content creation left. Visible progress has been limited (combat demo, some 3D environment screenshots). The Coles admit they knew the original budget for a smaller game was not enough, and they used that budget to plan for a larger game. If you're optimistic about Hero-U and the project's status, that's fine, but I think your enthusiasm is preventing you from seeing how this project appears to people who aren't invested into it.

From this you make it sound like they should have known that those people would leave, but they didn't; they made it clear that they had no idea that that team wasn't going to work on the game unless funding hit $800k. I don't think it makes sense to criticize them about their money target when asking for what you can get and not what you want is something that as you agree most gaming kickstarters do, and they didn't know that the studio they were working with needed a higher number or they were out.

Yes, the Coles should have absolutely known that people contracted to work on a 2D tile-based game with a budget of ~$600k would not stick around to develop a new 2D/3D engine from scratch for a more expensive game design. This is poor planning and poor management. It's quite fair and makes perfect sense to criticize the Coles here. They asked for less than they knew they needed for a smaller project and expanded the game design on that obsolete budget.

I didn't agree with you that most gaming Kickstarters ask for less than they need. I acknowledged that many projects, Hero-U included, have done this to ensure getting funded. In my experience most projects ask for what they need to fund their basic vision of a complete game, and their stretch goals allow them to expand content and make the game better. That is different than asking for a couple hundred thousand dollars less than you need to simply make the game, then not having a secured outside source of additional funding that results in taking a mortgage on your home.

As for not knowing the studio they were working with needing a higher number or they were out, as explained above the Coles either gave them that number and failed to meet it or simply did not clearly establish what the actual budget was. That original team was contracted for terms the Coles laid out, and when the Coles could not meet those terms the original team left.

Considering how long they'd been out of the industry, I imagine that anytime they started the kickstarter they were going to be unprepared -- they needed the money to fully start development, after all... so I just don't see a way around this.

The quote I posted about how they and SpaceVenture both went down the same path from 2d to 3d is further evidence of this. Yes, they didn't know modern development, but they needed funding to start up again, and publishers were not going to be giving them that money, I don't have much doubt about that.

I'll just quote Corey...again.
We should have had at least six months work in on the project before asking for any funds.

Suggesting that they would have been unprepared no matter what is untrue and defeating. Doing more research, building a basic prototype, and showing off some footage would have helped them immensely as well as inspired more confidence among potential backers.

The Coles said they planned to use their own funds to complete the game's original budget. They didn't seek a publisher at first because that would have negated the need or desire to go to Kickstarter. So, their only option would have been funding the early development themselves. Many developers have done this before going to Kickstarter, and it's worked out well for them. The most extreme case would be Stasis - one guy worked on that game for over a year then went to Kickstarter. He was able to show plenty of progress and give people confidence the game could be finished.

No, I'm not saying the Coles needed to work on the game for over a year and finish xx% before asking for money. I'm saying that any preliminary work before launching the Kickstarter would have been much better. They went into the Kickstarter quite unprepared, had to change their idea just to get (under)funded, lost their programmers/artists, etc. All of this headache and scrambling could have been mitigated with more work ahead of time.

If you backed some projects then because of that, though, then why are you encouraging the Coles to go get outside funding instead of Kickstarter?

sigh...You're putting words in my mouth - I haven't encouraged them to get outside funding in this current situation. I'll just quote myself:

You have taken my referencing Corey's own post, in which he admits he should have taken a $500k investment offer in 2013, and interpreted that as me saying they should pursue outside funding in May 2015. Even if they wanted to do that, crowdfunding is the only option at this point. Outside investors aren't going to be interested.

He did say that they were keeping it crowdfunded. I guess you think that he's not telling the truth there and actually can't find investors? Maybe so, but I think that he's probably telling the truth when he said that they wanted to keep it crowdfunded...

Oh lord...self-quoting again.

I don't think the Coles have made any decision in bad faith or with any intent to deceive anyone (obviously),

It's not that I think Corey isn't telling the truth - he's being realistic about what their options are, and there's only one option. He's being optimistic about the positives of remaining publisher-free or investor-free: no compromise of creative control. He's looking at the glass half-full, and despite that backers are arguing with him about their concerns with the project status.

And our difference here is, I guess, that you seem to agree more with the critics, while I agree more with the defenders of the project. I have some criticisms -- I'm not entirely convinced by the graphics, but I'll need to see more than that one room to know -- but the gameplay, writing, etc. is sounding good.

The hardest part is just ahead: When they finally get to the point where other people start to play the game and we see if it's good.

When you leave the industry for 12 years, some issues when you get back in are expected. And considering that I didn't love the original plan, that the trend of the project has been towards something more like what I'd want is of course a key factor for me.

Yes, obviously this is crucial. If their second combat demo with the new Kickstarter does not impress people, it's only going to make perceptions worse. If you've seen more detail about gameplay and writing to keep you optimistic, that's fine. However, few people are going to have the time, interest, or patience to look beyond the most obvious traits of a game that has been in development for 2.5 years, has had multiple people leave the project, multiple redesigns, and is seeking more funding from backers.

The public comments are much harsher (not uniformly so, but harsher) than the ones in the most recent backers-only update.

I think a lot of that will depend on what they have to say and show in the new kickstarter. For backers showing the numbers (it's been quoted in this thread) definitely helped, but I'm sure others will be more interested in how the game looks and plays now...

The wider audience's response is not going to be much more forgiving than the backer comments I shared a few posts above. The new demo is going to have to convince people that the budget has thus far been used wisely, and that the plan for finishing the game is realistic and attainable.

I backed it because I wanted to see a new game from them, even one like the original plan that wasn't what I would really want from them (eg a new QfG-style game). Then I raised the amount near the end because I thought they needed the support and because I liked the direction that the updates had been moving towards, towards having more RPG elements, etc.

But sure, if you only want to back kickstarters with a clear and focused plan that are already well into development, certainly, it wasn't something to put money behind.

The campaign got better near the end, but again it also turned quite a few people off. It wasn't because the game wasn't already well into development - it was because the original plan was uninspiring to many and exhibited a lack of preparation. The Coles seemed late to the Kickstarter boom and out of touch.

I don't think things had changed quite as quickly as you say. Standards for kickstarters have definitely gone up over time. But regardless, they definitely had a more complete plan than Double Fine Adventure. With hindsight there's a lot that could or should have been changed, but that's not something they could necessarily have known beforehand.

You're right that Double Fine Adventure made a lot more money than the following adventure game kickstarters, though, sure.

There was fatigue by summer 2012. Smaller projects struggled, and this was a common talking point in forums and Kickstarter comment sections - "Where are all the Double Fine backers to support this game?" I asked that question numerous times. The Coles and some other old developers like the Two Guys came out of obscurity to request money for games which had little to no preliminary work done. Smaller projects like Lilly Looking Through or Jack Houston had to show quite a bit of work for people to be confident in those projects (and asked for less money).

On the other hand, big projects like Project Eternity could say, "We're going to make a party-based isometric RPG," and receive millions of dollars because the developers were still active in the industry and had strong track records with huge fanbases.

I think they did have a plan. It wasn't finished, and didn't get funded, but they did have one. It's just that people didn't want to fund that plan, so they had to change plans in order to get funded, to make something more like their older games but still built around the school and character framework they had designed for the original version of the game.

And that's where I think it differs from Double Fine Adventure -- Double Fine really had nothing beyond "adventure game, probably Lucasarts-ish, Tim Schaefer". The Coles had a main character, a backstory, a world, a setting, a gameplay concept, etc. Lots more detail.

They had a better idea of the game they were going to make, but not much else. I still disagree that the Coles had a more complete plan than DFA for achieving their kickstarter goal. It's "old school Tim Schafer/LucasArts style point and click plus documentary of production process" vs. "2D tile-based adventure/RPG with a character named Shawn in a school for heroes". The Coles had game ideas (story outline, setting, character, etc.), but the actual plan for producing and delivering a product for x dollars was underdeveloped and poorly conceived (e.g. requested funding not even being enough, team members leaving, etc.).

You're focusing on the negatives, and not the positives. There are a lot of positives, as well as some negatives.

It seems that way, but I'm just being honest and channeling what I think are going to be common complaints. I could very well be wrong, and people may respond much more positively to the second Kickstarter. I'm not focusing on negatives to be mean - I'm looking at the practical aspects of what has happened and where the project is now.

There I was mostly referring to your comments that they should have taken external funding, something I kind of think as being against the spirit of kickstarter. Yeah, a lot of studios do it, but if you're crowdfunding your game you should crowdfund it... but if I'm misunderstanding your position on Kickstarter, sorry about that. Then, where do you think the line between kickstarter and outside funding should be, for games that are on kickstarter?

That's for each project to judge. Like I said, many projects have made publishing deals purely to help with delivering physical goods or even handling digital distribution. Ideally each kickstarter remains true to the backers and keeps other influences out, but if shit hits the fan and an outside investor is needed to save a project from failure, I wouldn't argue against it.

DeviantBoi

Went up today and they're already at 25% of their goal. Pretty sure they are gonna make it.

I would pitch in some more money, but I don't care for digital stuff (art book, hint book, etc.).

Good luck to them. I'm still looking forward to this game.

It's a bit over $30,000 now, so yeah, things are looking promising, I think. I haven't backed it yet; I'm waiting to hear what addons will be available, I'm not going to buy the game again since I did that in the first kickstarter.

Some nice addons have been offered -- a very cool poster set with one based on this game and three based on the original QFG (I'll probably back it for this), a nice new t-shirt design, and more stuff. Cool.

As for funding, it's at a bit over $49,000 now; yesterday there was a $10,000 fake backer whose money was removed because it was, well, a fake troll thing, not real. Unfortunate. Despite that the kickstarter is still in decent shape, though, and likely to fund.

Beyond that, new update, with lots more info on the numbers. Corey goes into detail about how much it costs to make an adventure game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/posts/1233204
What Is the Real Cost of an Adventure Game?

Games such as Hero-U, SpaceVenture, Moebius, and Underworld Ascendant are in a tricky position. We are making games to professional standards, and paying professionals to help make them, but we don’t have large teams at a big company to do them. A game in the $500K to $1M budget range is expected to compete with AAA titles that have budgets in the $10M+ range.

Alternatively, we are compared with fan and student projects with budgets under $50K. Players reasonably ask, “If great games like Quest for Infamy, the Blackwell Epiphany, or Oak Island can be made for $30K, and Heroine's Quest is free, why do you need so much funding to make Hero-U?”

Part of the answer may be that we have higher production standards (graphics, music, etc.), but the real answer comes down to, “Are you paying your team?” Those small games are not really made for $30K; their real cost is a combination of the base expense along with the value of the time spent making them. If three people work on a game for two years, there is a real cost to that time, at least $300K in that case.

Trigger Warning - Numbers Ahead! Skip down to the bottom if you hate spreadsheets. :)
Looking Back - a 1990’s Game Budget

In the mid-90’s, Lori and I set up a company to make a game for a publisher. The experience was similar to making Hero-U, and our basis for this project. Here’s what the budget looked like:

Design and Programming (three programmers): $170K
Art and animation (22 artists - 8 on staff, 14 doing piecework): $270K
Music and sound effects: $25K
Voice direction and acting: $25K
Equipment, software, overhead, travel: $65K
TOTAL: $555K in 1995 dollars ($855K in 2015 dollars)

That actually understates the cost. We used the publisher's adventure game scripting system, and four programmers at the publisher did some work on the game. It also does not include the cost of manufacturing and shipping the boxed games.

I include this budget mostly to show that $400K is not a large adventure game budget when team members are being paid for their work.

First Pass On the Hero-U Budget

We worked out a series of budgets for Hero-U based on possible fundraising amounts. The “sweet spot” was at $800K, which would give us $650K towards game development. The catch was that we knew we could not ask $800K, so we looked at what we could do with $400K. That budget looked like this (with a planned $20K deficit):

Design & Admin: $200K
Programming: $70K
Art & Animation: $70K
Music & Audio: $30K
Overhead & Misc: $45K
KS & Amazon: $36.5K
Rewards & Shipping: $73K

Back then, we planned to modify an existing game to create the framework for Hero-U. The art would be minimal - cartoony top-down characters and very simple top-down rooms.

We had a slight communication breakdown here, in the he lead programmer normally made almost double the programming budget, and we had four artists on the team who would have overwhelmed the art budget. The rest was reasonable, but we would have gone over budget by about $150K between the art and programming. That’s manageable.

Incidentally, my original project completion estimate of Oct. 2013 was based on this estimate - We could not afford to spend any more time on development without running over the budget. At the time, I was new to Kickstarter and did not realize we could seek additional funding afterwards, as in fact every other major adventure game project has done. I apologize for the wildly unrealistic date estimate; I based it on bad information.
The Revised Full Project Budget

Design & Admin: 200K
Programming: 150K
Art & Animation: 270K
Music/SFX: 30K
Misc/Overhead: 30K
Kickstarter/Amazon: 50K
Rewards/Shipping: 80K
TOTAL: 810K. Funding to Date: 435K, Deficit $375K.

Obviously we still can’t cover the entire deficit from a $100K Kickstarter goal, but we don’t have to - the object is to complete and release the game, not to make a profit from crowdfunding.

We are deferring costs in two areas: Lori and I aren’t paying ourselves, and some team members are deferring their pay until after release. These deferrals make a big difference in the project's cash flow.

Deferred Expenses: $250K
Kickstarter Goal: $100K
Adjusted Deficit: $25K

We can carry a $25K deficit plus our personal debt until the end of the project. Of course, it will be helpful to our piece of mind if the Kickstarter overfunds enough to reduce or eliminate the remaining deficit.

Why is it ok to go $150,000 or more in debt (the result of not taking any salary) making a game? It's because our backers are funding this project, not our personal lives. The current Kickstarter campaign will give us the time to complete Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, and the rest will be up to us.

In theory, if the game is successful, we can recover that debt from game sales. If it isn't successful, the game isn't as good as we think it is. Here is how we plan to use the first income from game sales:

First we pay our contractors their deferred fees
Next we allocate 50% of income to our back pay, i.e. getting out of personal debt
Any remainder funds continuing operations, i.e. Hero-U 2 development

If we get out of debt, we may start seeing actual profits:

A portion will go into a revenue pool to reward our contractors
A portion will pay royalties 5% will go into Kicking It Forward pledges to other crowdfunding projects
We will start getting a salary, keeping the IRS happy
Anything left will be used to fund continuing operations

I find this info interesting, particularly compared to the costs of those early/mid '90s games they worked on.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It seems like they wildly underestimated the cost of programmers and artists.

That said, trying to fund a game with half the money you think you need is just bad management... and something a lot of these kickstarters has gone through.

I'm still not really getting what happened here.

They needed $800k to make the game they're doing now?
But thought they could only raise $400k, so they lowered the scope of the title?
But they somewhere in the middle changed the scope back to the original one?

Well, with 5 days to go the kickstarter is up to a bit over $90,600, so it's likely to fund but not go over 100k by as much as would be nice (to get more of the stretch goals). Updates have explained some more about some elements of the game, and there's a new second demo, a combat demo. The demo is here: http://hero-u.com/demos-and-videos/combat-prototype/ or watch the Coles play it on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwT04DtqCV8

The combat system seems fairly simple, but decent enough. It's a little weird seeing a turn-based system in a QfG-style game, though, considering that all five QfG games have action combat systems of various types. It's probably nostalgia, but I like the first QfG's battle system...

For the critics, this interview focuses mostly on the money side: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/28768 It's a good interview, but should have had more questions about the actual game, that matters the most.

The kickstarter is entering its final day, and it's at $109,000, so it's funded and will get a few of the stretch goals. Getting to $130k would have been nice, but I'm just happy that it did fund.

The last update discusses the combat system: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/posts/1264169 I still think that turn-based combat is weird for a successor to a game series that always had action combat, but they explain why they chose the system they did in this update.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm glad they seemed to have enough goodwill to get the funding they needed. I just hope they are thinking ahead this time.

It's late January 2016 and still no release date in sight. So much for that alleged October 2015 release date that would be made possible with the highly unorthodox second campaign.

It's late January 2016 and still no release date in sight. So much for that alleged October 2015 release date that would be made possible with the highly unorthodox second campaign.
The second Kickstarter actually said March 2016 for its estimated release date, not October 2015, so by the time of that kickstarter in early 2015 the game was already a 2016 title. It won't be done in March, admittedly, but in their latest update here: http://hero-u.com/new-year-commitment-for-2016/ they describe the state of the game (as of a few weeks ago) and commit to getting it done this year, 2016. I hope they meet that goal, and it is far enough along now that I think it's realistic.

The new interface, as seen in the October '15 update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/posts/1370314 looks much better than the the old interface, too, so progress is being made. Yes, I wish that it hadn't been repeatedly delayed, but what I want most is for the final game to be good.

The second Kickstarter actually said March 2016 for its estimated release date, not October 2015, so by the time of that kickstarter in early 2015 the game was already a 2016 title. It won't be done in March, admittedly, but in their latest update here: http://hero-u.com/new-year-commitment-for-2016/ they describe the state of the game (as of a few weeks ago) and commit to getting it done this year, 2016. I hope they meet that goal, and it is far enough along now that I think it's realistic.

The new interface, as seen in the October '15 update here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/posts/1370314 looks much better than the the old interface, too, so progress is being made. Yes, I wish that it hadn't been repeatedly delayed, but what I want most is for the final game to be good.

You're right, the October 2015 promise was the one they broke just before launching the second Kickstarter. In any event, they aren't going to make the March 2016 date nor have they delivered on the beta for backers that was supposed to be done in late 2015. If they had never done the second KS and made new promises, I would have been much more forgiving, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Top Bottom