• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima has officially left Konami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Kojima does match up with Sony I think would be a awesome match. Cause I'm sure even Sony is even like what the fuck is wrong with Konami and know how good Kojima is.

If they do a PT like game.. Obviously they can only go so far before Konami comes after them.. Oh just the possibilities

Unstable

Please for the love of god don't do anything even tangentially related to MGS. He's free now, time for something new from him, if he still wants to make games after all of this, that is.

Javin98

Banned
tMb9NFa.jpg
Hahaha, this guy is fucking amazing as usual. He is a prophet after all, predicting RotTR would be Uncharted a year before release. ;)

Anyway, I can't wait to see what Kojima can do with a new studio. I absolutely love MGS, but it would be nice to see what else he can do.

Foffy

Banned
So how long was Kojima's vacation before Konami announced he enjoyed it so much that he was leaving the company? ;)

wapplew

Any chance of Konami lawyers still come after Kojima like stop his new game development because the idea spawn during his time in Konami or something like that?

Matty77

Any chance of Konami lawyers still come after Kojima like stop his new game development because the idea spawn during his time in Konami or something like that?
That's an Activison type move, so yeah I could see Konami trying to one up Bobby on their way to evil villainy greatness.

I wonder how many years will take to make his first game outside Konami, between getting the studio running and development, maybe 4 or 5?.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Let's see how he fares up without the backing of an established gaming company, especially in terms of the capital required to make the kind of game he's used to make.

Auctopus

Hooray they are free! Konami can fucking rot for all I care. I have never witnessed a company self destruct in such a fast time. EA of old have nothing on the shit these fuckers have done. The sooner they go out of business and their IP's are sold off the better. Unfortunately the universe is a cunt and they will probably make more money from gambling than they ever did from gaming.

I know hating Konami is the in thing right now and it's easy to get carried away. EA have entirely shut down multiple studios that employed hundreds of employees at a time.

down 2 orth

Its funny, whenever you see someone break out of a repressive condition to do their own thing, you always see a few people lash out at them. I wonder what provokes that kind of reaction.

Man, it's finally over. MGS is done
I wonder what's next for Kojima and his crew. Hopefully something completely new and fresh to shake up the industry tbh

Batzi

Banned
Free from oppression. Free from their system. His mind free from their prisons. That is the Haven he yearned for.

Did... did you just threaten Kojima!?

For his own sanity I mean. Get out of the AAA grinder for a few years. But who knows maybe he likes it. He can probably write his own ticket in that regard. This isn't Iga or Inafune here. Kojima shipped a critically and commercially successful AAA game this year, he can probably get deals made with any number of publishers, though probably with a shorter leash than he's had the last 5 years.

Bolivar687

Banned
For his own sanity I mean. Get out of the AAA grinder for a few years. But who knows maybe he likes it. He can probably write his own ticket in that regard. This isn't Iga or Inafune here. Kojima shipped a critically and commercially successful AAA game this year, he can probably get deals made with any number of publishers, though probably with a shorter leash than he's had the last 5 years.

I know I was jp. I don't think he can walk away, though. He's tried, many times, to hand his projects off to his team but every time he steps back in to take the reigns.

Let's see how he fares up without the backing of an established gaming company, especially in terms of the capital required to make the kind of game he's used to make.

Do you honestly think he's not the #1 unemployed developer right now? He just needs the right offer, and we will have a great game

Konami probably cut their losses and knew he hated them for the way he had been handled or whatever-the-fuck. Konami really does have a fuck you mentality right now, IMO

The idea that he gets picked up by first party Sony is a good one, if there is a place for him there. If not, he will make news with his next hiring. I misspoke before, he's not a kickstarter developer. He's one of the rare few that can have creative control and also money behind him from an investor

Imagine, Kojima, a Playstation exclusive, again.

Guys, what if Kojima was actually a shitty, insubordinate employee who never made deadlines and consistently wasted company time?
Then I'd say he should be working with Sony, since they seem to know how to handle crazy-genius artist types. Yamauchi wasn't in to milestones and deadlines and stuff like that, so SCE set him up with his own subsidiary so he needn't answer to anyone. That seems to have worked out fairly well for all parties concerned. If anyone can get good work out of Kojima with a reasonable investment, it's SCE.

O.DOGG

Good for Kojima! I'm wary of the whole Sony thing though. Hopefully that doesn't mean no future multiplatform Kojima titles.

Sounds like for his first project, he'll be working as a second-party, similar to Sony's relationships with Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch before the latter two eventually joined WWS. As such, I don't see why he wouldn't be able to secure funding for a game on the scale of Resistance or Bloodborne, for example, if that's what he's looking to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom