• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima tweets: "What I prepared minutely spending a year became meaningless."

AwShucks

beastmode said:
People who love MGS4 tend to give no reasons, just "it's... it's a masterpiece!" At least the people who hate it bring up examples of some truly unforgivable wahjah bullshit.

I love it. Because I'm a fanboy. I don't consider it a masterpiece by any means, but simply put I'm a whore for MGS games and despite it not being as good as pretty much every other MGS I enjoyed the hell out of it.

beastmode said:
People who love MGS4 tend to give no reasons, just "it's... it's a masterpiece!" At least the people who hate it bring up examples of some truly unforgivable wahjah bullshit.
Well thank god no one needs a reason to like anything they like.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Maxrunner said:
Does anyone really cares about Kojima these days???he keeps doing the same game over and over....

This is not the MW3 thread.

Dacon

Banned
Angry Fork said:
A detractor started it.
I know it's silly to point fingers, still though. We wouldn't be having this debate if a detractor didn't pull out the usual "mgs4 was trash, kojima suxx" thing.
Fans give a shit when they feel 'challenged' or are already in the middle of a debate. This goes for anything not just MGS4.

So clearly people give a shit, whatever their reasons for debating.

Sn4ke_911 said:

Or the Dynasty Warriors thread.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Of course not. That game will probably be fun as the series has consistently been solid, unlike MGS.

Angry Fork said:
I never said people with those criticisms were dumb. I said they were valid and reasonable, but that fans of MGS4 don't care about those criticisms. (Generally speaking, some of them we just disagree with like whether or not a lot of cutscenes are a bad thing, there's also the possibility that they do care about those criticisms but for them the good outweigh the bad).
By labeling their opinions as hyperbole you kind of are. And they aren't hyperbole. They aren't exaggerating, the people who think the game is bad/terrible legitimately think like that. I don't know how it's an exaggeration. The game fails on so many levels, how can it not be terrible if you feel that way? Labeling it all hyperbole is pretty shitty.

Saying you don't like the game is completely different from the game being objectively terrible. I don't like Black Ops but it would be hyperbole to call it terrible just because it has lots of problems (or at least what I believe are problems). A terrible game is something that's virtually unplayable.
I'm sorry, this is a cop out. No one's opinion should be objective in this case. These opinions are subjective. No one is sitting here trying to form a deep analysis of the game and writing a research paper on it. No we are all throwing our opinion on the game out there. And hey some find it terrible.

But you and mr. negativity tag guy are notorious for disliking almost anything so there's no point in debating really
And this is just straight up bullshit.

robor

staticneuron said:
You have an issue with comprehension my friend.

1. My comment was not about taste because it didn't involve questions about your subjective opinion on the title.

2. The original statement presented as facts included included incorrect numbers.... meaning that the entire statement was false. Just because you created your own interpretation of what was said, doesn't validate the original statement in any way.

3. I am not "dictating" anything. When I use the term "detractors" it is referring to people who take umbridge at how highly regarded MGS4 is and aim to explain why the game isn't as great to other gamers. I made no "assumption" about how you perceived the game but made a call on what you "have been doing."

Why do I even bother? I admitted he was EXAGGERATING and yet you're still jerking off on semantics. You have an issue with pattern recognition. But hey, keep stacking that wall with your veiled verbosity and your insistence on persisting to be as vague as humanly possible. You'd do fantastic at being a PR.

4. If you didn't finish the game at all, then your comments about the ratio between cutscenes and gameplay are nothing but hearsay and do not amount to anything worthwhile.

You can try to talk in circles or attempt to browbeat me in matters I haven't actually spoken about but everything that has been said is in black and white. Your attempt at obfuscation and feigned indignation is both comical and sad to read.

I can estimate a ratio by my experience. There is a running formula and it was far worse in 4, there is validity and your splinter-point logic of passing such validity because one hasn't finished the entire game is hearsay in and of itself. Because as I said before, I admitted he was exaggerating *cue pattern recognition*. I can also gather this information from other people who have finished it. I do not live in a vacuum.

Your attempt at trying to read who I am has proven to be an absolute joke. You see in black and white (i.e. binary logic) where it's much rather grey, so sorry about it.

As much as I would LOVE to play Peace Walker on my PS3 (I don't have a PSP), wouldn't Sony be undermining their PSP hardware sales by doing this?

jett

D-Member
The Wise Old Man said:
As much as I would LOVE to play Peace Walker on my PS3 (I don't have a PSP), wouldn't Sony be undermining their PSP hardware sales by doing this?

What hardware sales?

Maxrunner

Sn4ke_911 said:

lol forgot to look at the avatar, explains this answer, still im not really a fan of mw games after the first one....its just simple mp fun for me nothing more......mgs4 on the other hand was cringe worthy, horrible over acting scenes....kojima should just retire or start doind japanese movie scripts.....

I really liked MGS4 because of the
• continuation of a familiar universe.
• the active camo was fucking awesome and great gameplay addition.
• the customizable weapons and the pure amount of the was really fun.
• speed running and big boss runs are always fun.
• the actual gameplay parts are some of the best in the series. Boss fights were awesome.
• metal gear fight was great.
• the tailing mission was a great surprise follow by an awesome car chase, both of which played well enough.

the only negative i see is the slightly more crazy story but stories in all games are complete fucking shit and if you playing them for that reason alone. I dont understand you.

The Wise Old Man said:
There are two reasons why they won't/it won't matter:

1) PSPs sold well because of the portability factor in Japan - you can play MonHun with your friends on the train. MHP3 being on PS3 will only add a place you can play the game, especially with cross-save compatibility. On the other hand, the PSP is dead as a doornail in the west, to the point where even Square-Enix is being unnecessarily coy about releasing Final Fantasy games here. It can't hurt hardware sales here because it would be like stabbing a corpse. What are you going to do, make it dead-er?

2) Sony is trying to gently transition PSP users to the idea of the NGP. There is never any guarantee with handhelds that the userbase will move on to the next generation. Sometimes it works out fine, sometimes it doesn't, especially when a lot of your sales came in the last two to three years of a system's life. By establishing an idea that portable games and console games can be interchangable, Sony is effectively telling people they can do that with even better graphics with a new system. Those who didn't want a PSP because they don't like tiny screens will now consider giving the NGP another look, because they can play those NGP games at home (assuming Sony is doing the smart thing with this).

It's actually really kind of brilliant, all things considered. So long as Sony isn't all Sony about it.

I loved my first PLAYTHROUGH of MGS4. The gameplay, the amount of options available to you, the nostalgia, the cutscenes (yeah, I said it), the weapon upgrades, the camo, the boss fights, all spectacular.

Then I tried to play it again, and the Act Installs killed any hope of me trying to gauge exactly where I sit on the game without 1st playthrough nostalgia clouding my opinion.

So aside from the Installs, I guess I love the game by default.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Maxrunner said:
lol forgot to look at the avatar, explains this answer, still im not really a fan of mw games after the first one....its just simple mp fun for me nothing more......mgs4 on the other hand was cringe worthy, horrible over acting scenes....kojima should just retire or start doind japanese movie scripts.....

So your best argument is pointing at my avatar? Good job. How the fuck can you say MGS1 is like MGS2 and MGS3? How are those games the SAME?

robor said:
Why do I even bother? I admitted he was EXAGGERATING and yet you're still jerking off on semantics. You have an issue with pattern recognition. But hey, keep stacking that wall with your veiled verbosity and your insistence on persisting to be as vague as humanly possible. You'd do fantastic at being a PR.

I can estimate a ratio by my experience. There is a running formula and it was far worse in 4, there is validity and your splinter-point logic of passing such validity because one hasn't finished the entire game is hearsay in and of itself. Because as I said before, I admitted he was exaggerating *cue pattern recognition*. I can also gather this information from other people who have finished it. I do not live in a vacuum.

Your attempt at trying to read who I am has proven to be an absolute joke. You see in black and white (i.e. binary logic) where it's much rather grey, so sorry about it.

I haven't tried to read you. I have worded my posts as clearly as possible using words that is within the range of what an average high school student would be exposed to.

Again if you think anything in my posts made an assumption about you or even worse, you consider them "vague". Then there is no point in continuing this discussion because you have not understood my posts at all.

Wait, so Kojima and Suda were actually working on an adventure game? I knew they had been working on some raido serial or something a few years ago, but was it ever confirmed they were working on adventure game? As much as I hate to say it, if that's what he's talking about, I wouldn't be surprised. Adventure games aren't exactly hot IP's anymore (aside from say L.A. Noire) and IP's like Snatcher and Policenaughts are beloved by me, but so old at this point that it would almost be like Konami launching a new IP.

This Thread: STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE!

I guess I just don't understand why some people would go out of there way to go tell people that what they like terrible. Who cares? If you don't like a game, or any form of media for that matter, just go on your merry way. You don't have to play it, you don't even have to discuss it. It really isn't hard to enter a thread and say, "I personally didnt like it all, but thats just me".

I sure as heck didn't think MGS4 was a masterpiece, far from it. But I liked it well enough! I see its faults but when I finished it I still thought to myself, "Damn thats was nifty". Pooping, weddings, and long ass power point cut scenes. All there, all stupid, still fun for me. With that in mind, it doesnt bug me that people hate it. What bugs me is how people express it.

What ever happened to live and let live? Jeeze. The amount of vitriol in this thread is mind boggling.

Edit: Removed the picture.

robor

staticneuron said:
I haven't tried to read you. I have worded my posts as clearly as possible using words that is within the range of what an average high school student would be exposed to.

Again if you think anything in my posts made an assumption about you or even worse, you consider them "vague". Then there is no point in continuing this discussion because you have not understood my posts at all.

No, you THINK you have. The problem here is that you're on page 11, but because of your lack of pattern recognition, you're in fact, stuck on post #279 (page 6). Something along the lines of special ed :X

Damn...

Dacon

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
This thread:
gaADjBLZEK.jpg

I guess I just don't understand why some people would go out of there way to go tell people that what they like terrible. Who cares? If you don't like a game, or any form of media for that matter, just go on your merry way. You don't have to play it, you don't even have to discuss it. It really isn't hard to enter a thread and say, "I personally didnt like it all, but thats just me".

I sure as heck didn't think MGS4 was a masterpiece, far from it. But I liked it well enough! I see its faults but when I finished it I still thought to myself, "Damn thats was nifty". Pooping, weddings, and long ass power point cut scenes. All there, all stupid, still fun for me. With that in mind, it doesnt bug me that people hate it. What bugs me is how people express it.

What ever happened to live and let live? Jeeze. The amount of vitriol in this thread is mind boggling.

This is why I simply try to express my personal disappointment, not dictate standards of quality like so many do. No one is the barometer for quality after all.

robor said:
No, you THINK you have. The problem here is that you're on page 11, but because of your lack of pattern recognition, you're in fact, stuck on post #279 (page 6). Something along the lines of special ed :X

Damn...

Don't try to spin this one. We are here at this point because "YOU" quoted that post on page 9. and my subsequent post have been "explaining" the post and reasoning to you. The only reason it has gotten so far is because you've been spinning like a top.

My response was very specific. You have been quoting me and going on different tangents, The only reason I seem repetitive is because I am not taking your cues to spin the discussion onto a different track. Sorry for not taking the bait.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BannedEpisode said:
This Thread: STOP LIKING WHAT I DONT LIKE!

Edit: Removed the picture.
It's not this thread. It's absolutely every thread even remotely related to Kojima, MGS or, hell, Boktai.

I really do not understand what bothers people so much about MGS4 with so many worse games out there. I guess it is the fact that some people really enjoy the game.

Ichabod

Banned
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for MGS4 because of the act where you
return to Shadow Moses.
Seeing that place in HD gave me a grade A nostalgia-gasm.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
insert_username_here said:
Why Sakurai, Eiji Aonuma would seem like a much better match to pair up with Kojima. I think a Kojima style story line would be great in a Zelda game.

Because they are friends. I mean Kojima begged Snake to be in Smash Brothers Melee/Brawl. I dunno how well he knows the Zelda guy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
sykoex said:
I'm guessing he spent a year working on a console game and decided to change it to an NGP game.

Nah, he would be happy because it would be a platform to which he wants to develop on.

Now if he was obligated to develop on a certain platform, that's different.

cj_iwakura

I wish him the best, but it's a shame if it was a Snatcher or ZoE IP(highly unlikely), because Capcom still own it, probably.

Top Bottom