• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hilariously underpowered RPG party members.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
to name a few

250px-212Scizor.png

This guy makes Gold & Silver easy mode.

I would argue that pure normal pokemon are pretty worthless.

Isn't Amarant (FFIX) shit?

Like, his ability is pretty much useless and you have better damage dealers at the point where he joins you.

Nope. if you load him with good items to throw he's an excellent party member. he can even work as a ghetto healer/buffer due to his Monk Class.

Requeim

I don't know if she can be considered underpowered exactly but Mitsuru is the most useless party member in Persona 3 due to her godawful AI.

True. Constantly casting and failing to charm enemies. So annoying.

This is definitely wrong. If you actually know how to use tactics in P3, she won't even try to charm enemies at all. But it seems a lot of people just keep the default tactics of "act freely", and complain afterwards when that's exactly what the party members do.

And Mitsuru is probably one of the more powerful characters anyway. Those mind charged, amped bufudynes do a ton of damage.

Bladenic

tumblr_mjjq6g0zIl1r20cdlo1_500.gif

This is a thread made for Chester, poor guy is
only in the game for the first hour, then he is stuck in the past for the entire game only to rejoin your party after 20 hours...at the same level as when you left him.

He levels up insanely fast and is the second best damage dealer behind Cless. Underpowered in the sense he joins at a low level, but not in the grand scheme of things. If anyone from Phantasia is underpowered, it's Klarth.

Lol at Zidane and Sarah (LO) being mentioned though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This guy makes Gold & Silver easy mode.

I would argue that pure normal pokemon are pretty worthless.

Not really. Pure normals tend to have huge movepool to offset their STAB being neutral to all save for rock and steel, and their immunity to ghost makes a nice tradeoff for fighting. A bunch of them are also pretty tanky. I think only few normals actually suck, like Castform.

I still stand by with unown generally being the shittiest. At least Sunflora is good in sports!

Nope. if you load him with good items to throw he's an excellent party member. he can even work as a ghetto healer/buffer due to his Monk Class.

I forgot what his trance does. Does it make him not consume thrown items?

Mihos

Gold Member
gong.JPG

I always found Gong to be utter garbage in Shining Force.

I have even done playthroughs where I purposefully levelled him up and made him the focus of every battle and he STILL sucks.

I will second this... even when the moster is at 1 hp... he fricken misses!

Mknzy

gong.JPG

I always found Gong to be utter garbage in Shining Force.

I have even done playthroughs where I purposefully levelled him up and made him the focus of every battle and he STILL sucks.

Ironicly I just used him for a LP of Shining Force on my Youtube channel not long ago, and he worked out great for me. He eventually learns Aura, which is always useful, and his damage was solid. Now I will openly admit that I fed a lot of the games permanent power up items into him, and this was also a LP where I renamed characters after my subscribers, so I wanted everyone to be recruited by the end of chapter 4 at the latest, so I didn't use any of the late game characters. Still he was a solid party member for me.

PK Gaming

The goddamn protagonist and even at endgame fighting the secret boss he's doing 1/10 the damage of anyone else. He was mandatory in your party, too. Fucking useless.

If you're taking on the secret boss, then you should have gotten Zidane sufficiently prepared for it. A powered up Thievery Skill does a consistent/unblockable heavy damage with a meager MP cost. Furthermore, Zidane's soul blade inflicts blind 100% on Ozma. Ozma has to waste a turn to cure it, making Zidane invaluable in that fight.

In any case, Zidane is pretty consistent throughout the entire game. He's really strong for a thief, and he gets you free shit with "Steal" long before you can ordinarily get it (provided you're patient). In the lategame, trivializes random encounters in the endgame with his soul blade + petrify combo. He's damn good.

I don't know if she can be considered underpowered exactly but Mitsuru is the most useless party member in Persona 3 due to her godawful AI.

Just set her to Knock Down or Full Assault in every fight. She's pretty much your premier offensive magic user. Even better if you're playing on P3P, since you have full control.

The goddamn protagonist and even at endgame fighting the secret boss he's doing 1/10 the damage of anyone else. He was mandatory in your party, too. Fucking useless.
I recall he had a skill that scaled with how many times he successfully used steal that could casually deal 9,999 damage a pop. But I might not remember correctly.

I fucking hate her.
Her voice, her story, her EVERYTHING.

But she is the god damn healer of the game and you need her in every boss battle.
Either , tone your hate or LEVEL up your party so that you can destroy the bosses BEFORE you need healing ( yeah that's ridiculous , but you can do it in SO4)

250px-WS000001.jpg

Compa.... worst healer ever and crap for damage... even as a Lily she sucks.

Trully a shame , especially in a game where the party is fixed if you don't dlc OR you have to wait for the end game.

he had a skill that did more damage based on the amount of successful steals (100 damage per successful steal). so by the end of the game if you had successfully stolen ~90+ items you had a skill that did a guaranteed 9999 damage for minimal MP.

in fact a lot of FF9 characters had skills that were a guaranteed amount of damage based on some random milestone (99 frogs eaten, 99 dragons defeated etc)

I forgot what his trance does. Does it make him not consume thrown items?

His trance made his special skill affect entire groups and not just single characters.

gunbo13

Anyone saying Marle from CT is wrong. People correcting this error are correct.

Marle is arguably the best character in CT and even becomes more broken in the DS version. Haste helms are NG+ material for how late you get them making haste the most destructive spell in CT. Marle is also involved with some of the nastier dual techs in CT with Ice Sword, Antipode, Cube Toss, and others. The only counterargument for her use on a main team is to talk about Robo. The same Robo who is slower then the dirt he plows in 600AD. Instead of waiting for the slowest character in the game, haste your primary offense with Marle, sit back and enjoy the show.

Humans (non-inmortals) in Lost Odyssey.

Basically their only reason you want them in your party is so inmortals can learn their skills. By the endgame, you will only have one in your party because you basically need one.

DJ_Lae

Mazzy isn't that good (grandmaster archer doesn't mean much in BG2, where bows and grandmastery are both nerfed), but Keldorn is pretty godly. Dispels at double his levels and is able to equip the Carsomyr.

Ah, maybe I'm being unfair to Keldorn, then, as I generally played my main character as a Paladin and swiped the Carsomyr for myself. He just seemed like a worse version of my own character.

Freed Y (Suikoden 2) is the first one that comes to mind.
Freedyamamoto02.gif

Lots of Suikoden characters are bad, but the ones forced into your party for sections are usually at least decent. IIRC, when you get Freed Y you can't even put him in your convoy unlike many plot characters.

Freed is like a terrible clone of Flik stat-wise (with around 2/3 or less of Flik's stats in everything), and at the point where you get him he is worse than most characters, has to be in your front row to attack, has 100 less HP than most front-liners and misses half the time.

It kind of sucks, since with some of his plot events (especially the first battle of North Window) I want to like him. But he's just terrible.

God yes, Freed fucking sucks.

Great-God

Banned
I seem to remember Sabin, motherfuckin' suplexin' trains and all, wasn't that much useful.
Edgar? was amazing with his machines.

cireza

Amy in PSII is a great healer, very useful character.

Hahn in PSIV is also a great character, with many techniques, some very useful ones, very nice combination attacks.

Those two games are well balanced anyway, and all characters really have potential. Even Gryz can do some very decent damage, has War Cry, Sweeping and Crash.

Gong in SFI can be a very weak character, lacking in Attack. However, because of the high randomness of the levels in this game, he can also be a fine fighter. This is why SFI has pretty good re-playability : if you accept your fate (and don't save before every level to reset the game) you can have a lot of differences between the same character in different runs.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
w8YJPva.gif

Boss Borot is present in 90% of the anime-based Super Robot Wars games and is garbage in just about all of them. The only exceptions are when they use the Mazinkaiser OVAs instead of '70s Mazinger.

panzone

Naoto from Persona 4 (original). She has physical skills that inflict status ailments and the insta kill spells. Neither work on bosses. Her stats aren't very good either. She can be used for farming but overall she's the worst party member in the game. I believe she may have gotten the Megido spells in the original but the high MP costs and her low magic stat still made that useless.

xD It's funny to think that in P4 Golden Naoto is completely broken.

Laconic

Banned
xD It's funny to think that in P4 Golden Naoto is completely broken.

How did they fix her? And what did they do put her over the top?

In the original, the best team was the original four - MAYBE Teddy subbing for Yukiko if you build him correctly... maybe.

panzone

How did they fix her? And what did they do put her over the top?

Megido spells cost way less
Have an incredible increment of all her stats, especially SP.
The special move of Naoto (Shield of Justice) give invincibility to the party and with the right accessories you can extremely reduce its cost.
Her third persona have no backside (Reflect Light/Dark, block fire).
Can learn all the -dyne spell, Heart Rise, Angelic Grace, Myiriad Arrow, Tetraja, Mind Charge, Invigorate 3.

Seriously, it's quite difficult to select only 8 skill.

250px-WS000001.jpg

Compa.... worst healer ever and crap for damage... even as a Lily she sucks.

Well, but in Neptunia every human character is incredibly underpowered (I have to play Victory yet, but I don't think there is much difference).

Aexact

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/suikoden/thomas01.jpg

Thomas.
That was hilarious. You go through the three other scenarios as a young hunter from the Grasslands, a mysterious mercenary and a seasoned knight and then you get to Thomas's scenario.

You step outside and get into your first encounter, something like bees or rabbits that the first three have been steamrolling for hours.

Those bees can instantly murder poor Thomas and Cecile before they know what's what. I mean, thematically, it's appropriate because Thomas is a poor bastard son and Cecile is not a real knight but man, what a shock to the system that was.

I have never had a Pegasus rider survive through an entire game on anything higher than normal difficulty, in any FE game. The enemy will dive bomb your pegasus riders no matter where they are, and usually can 1 shot them.
But their various strengths are great! They ignore terrain and they can ferry people. They're great for getting to villages and rescuing NPCs or transporting your units across water or mountains. The tradeoff being you have to be careful with them is fair.

That you can also raise them to be combat worthy is a nifty bonus too.

Humans (non-inmortals) in Lost Odyssey.

Basically their only reason you want them in your party is so inmortals can learn their skills. By the endgame, you will only have one in your party because you basically need one.
The poorest loser of them being King Tolten. His only unique point was his exclusive high stat royal gear and the Immortals can learn how to wear that too. At least the other characters still had semi-relevant skills, even if the Immortals could do them better, but there's only one set of royal gear. Being an Immortal is so unfair, heh.

I'm going to trigger PHANTASY STAR ONLINE fogies and mention MOME

wp-PSO-450-0640.jpg

he kinda counts even if temporary.

Yeah that dude is damn worthless. Basically the goal there was to use OP setups and body DRL before Mome got his ass killed because he's not going to intelligently defend himself in any capacity.

Yeah that dude is damn worthless. Basically the goal there was to use OP setups and body DRL before Mome got his ass killed because he's not going to intelligently defend himself in any capacity.
For the Episode 1+2 release (and later) they made it so Mome "plays dead" and doesn't participate in the battle or get hit. That is how big the problem was.

I seem to remember PSO AI in general for mage characters was spam one technique until they run out of TP use items then melee once out of items.

Zaku

11-capture_29012011_110503.png

What, no Rafa and Malak?!

Malak, yeah, but Rafa? You kidding me?

Heaven Knight skills can steamroll even low-Faith characters because it's straight-up MA. Hell, under the right circumstances she can easily deal the most damage in the game with her default skills.

Phades

Malak, yeah, but Rafa? You kidding me?

Heaven Knight skills can steamroll even low-Faith characters because it's straight-up MA. Hell, under the right circumstances she can easily deal the most damage in the game with her default skills.

The random element to it is a bitch though.

250px-370Luvdisc.png

Every other pokémon answer is incorrect. Especially Magikarp.

Was waiting to see this pokemon listed as the worst cause it is.

Magikarp at least becomes Gyarados which is beastly. Feebas becomes Milotic which is easily one of my favorites.

Luvdisc just doesn't reach any redeeming point even if maxed out with moves. Ok...it's literal only redeeming quality is killing them for Heart Scales.

Zaku

The random element to it is a bitch though.

Only until you start to abuse the geography to turn the 5-spread into 4,3, or 2 spreads populated by multiple enemies.

Doing a GSed Heaven Knight SCC will give you a whole new appreciation for the class. Easily one of the most interesting and fun SCCs you'll ever do. Makes you really take a look at the maps in a way even the Geomancer SCC doesn't do.

Top Bottom