• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens Minecraft Demo

E the Shaggy

latest

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This demo'd really well, kudos to MS. Now imagine playing RTS or sport games like NHL, NBA, Fifa etc on your table.

*sigh* and they're still faking us out! It frustrates me that once again they keep filming from a third-party camera, not the player's perspective.

Why is this is an issue? Well, when he reaches out to grab the world, pinch blocks etc. the image would likely overlay on top of his hand and break the immersion (unless they have a solution, but I've yet to see it demonstrated). When they show it from a third party perspective they are careful to have the player stand behind the projection so when it overlays on top of him it makes sense. Grr.

Pretty sure that they just had a computer streaming the Minecraft instance and overlaying it over the "special camera's" feed.

I could be wrong but there was nothing at all in that demo that looks like holography, nothing responded to any of the optics of the room or the camera.

TheYanger

Completly bullshoted with the camera ...

Larger FoV, bigger resolution, better colors (how do you display black on a white/Blue wall or light colored wood table by projecting light ?) ...

What are you talking about? It's not a projector, it's AR, it's just covering up what is there like you would if you put a piece of paper over it. If it were a projection the camera wouldn't need to wear anything for us to see it.

Oogedei

I've heard that the FOV is a problem with the prototype but I got some major hopes in this kind of technology. Imagine working with this! This has so much potential it's crazy. I'm sure they will work on this FOV problem and hopefully make it even better with the 2. gen. This is the first time in years that I can see some real futuristic possibilities with a new technology. Forget VR, this is the future.

Coming from a Sony guy btw.

AndyD

aka andydumi
good catch. it's "actor following a pre-recorded choreography" all over again.

It's hard to demo HoloLens. But they should at least try not to give the sceptics even more ammunition :/

They even said there's one mounted on the camera, leading us to think it's the way you would see it if you wore the display.

tuxfool

Banned
You forget you didnt wear a Hololens? Stuff on TV always looks smaller than in real life because cameras. If you have it an inch away from your eyes it might work just fine.

No. People that have tried it have said the viewable area on hololens is quite small. Hololens tech on the cameras isn't accurately representing the FOV.

CoG

Can't believe they are showing demos no indicative of actual performance. That's just flat out dishonest.

Fliesen

They even said there's one mounted on the camera, leading us to think it's the way you would see it if you wore the display.

yup.

Why always the 3rd person with the camera?
How about they mount a camera to the guy's head and show exactly what the HoloLens were to draw on the see-through-display.
obviously, because seeing the minecraft castle be cut off on the sides due to the FoV wouldn't be as impressive and people wouldn't be as amazed by this staged demo of how this technology might work in 5 years to come.

you act as if we should expect gen 1 to be massively improved over the demo models.

Why would we? Even Kinect 2.0 wasn't as powerful as the original Kinect demos. Where would you see the reason to expect such an improvement from demo to final release other than ... hope ;)

So Oculus Rift is low res and low refresh rate then too right?

paulogy

Pretty sure that they just had a computer streaming the Minecraft instance and overlaying it over the "special camera's" feed.

I could be wrong but there was nothing at all in that demo that looks like holography, nothing responded to any of the optics of the room or the camera.

Well even the third-party camera had to have surface awareness, in order to be able to recognize the table and create the illusions of placing shapes over it but not elsewhere. And the tech really *is* amazing, but there's a piece about player limb occlusion they either haven't figured out yet (and don't want to show) or have no solution for it and are fooling people. I hope it's the former not the latter.

Raoh

Looks cool but I always doubt/question Microsoft presentation/demos/visions.

For instance she mentioned how he could look in the window and bam, your looking in the window, but no command was spoken or pressed to make that happen.

I don't doubt they are working on something great but I doubt how far along they actually are. Especially based on staged demos/presentations.

Boogiepop

Not really seeing the excitement/use, as others have said (and I'm sure it's better tech), seems functionally like 3DS AR, which is pretty useless and uninteresting outside of the initial novelty...

gypsygib

If it works as advertised, it's incredible. But part of me thinks it's Kinect style BS promotion all over again. I've already read reports that the FOV is miniscule but maybe MS fixed that.

Fliesen

that was about conventional display technology and processing power.

I think the optics of a see-through display that covers your entire field of vision is less of an issue than just adding a higher refresh rate, higher pixel density panel to your head mounted device.

not saying things can't get better, but there's improvements that are trivial and some that are non trivial.
making Kinect work flawlessly was non-trivial and Microsoft still didn't get it to work, even in Gen 2.

i don't see how anyone could not be a skeptic about Microsoft tech demos. What's the precedent that makes you believe Microsoft would ever demo anything to work the way it actually works. I don't see how they have earned your benefit of the doubt.

I feel like the hololens presentation is going to fool a lot of people into believing it will look and play like that. I jut don't buy it for a second. Maybe I'm cynical, but that felt about as scripted as a "live gameplay" sequence as I've scene, especially with the very fishy "this camera will project what the dude wearing hololens is/would see.

Fliesen

There's a whole lot more going on in here besides skepticism.

Happens every time Microsoft releases a new technology and shows their forward-thinking.

forward-thinking is great.
forward-demoing via staged smokes-and-mirrors demos is bad.

there's no agenda here. Show us what you can currently do, tell us what you'd like to be able to do in the future.

showing us stuff that isn't possible currently is shady.

Awesome demo, real convincing stuff.

Still doable in VR mind you, I don't think AR itself had any real impact here, but definitely a great showing, and an excellent way to showcase this stuff to the masses. Minecraft is a great product to advertise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is a pivotal technology for me. And I mean that in a bad way.

I find the demos of this to be misleading at best, and yet the response is almost universally positive. And at the same I'm really excited for VR, yet that gets quite a few negative/'gimmick' comments.

I just don't get it.

This has some nice uses for productivity and general use. But for gaming right now it is almost the definition of a gimmick. The actual field of view is supposed to be really low, and the processing power will be low because it needs to be battery powered. So gaming will be very limited.

And that minecraft demo just screams - 'why?'. If anyone has played minecraft, it is all about the immersion and being in the world. Why would you want to look at the world sitting on a table? It'd make a really cool map viewer, but hardly a great gaming experience.

Yet Minecraft in VR *is* a great gaming experience.

For general computing it is incredibly exciting - once they address the field of view. Being able to superimpose computer graphics on the real world. But for gaming I just don't see it.

And why are people buying into the demos? This is the third time they've used the fake camera, and by now we know the field of view is significantly lower. And yet people are still seemingly projecting their desires of what they think it'll be onto it. Weird.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

The problems that face AR are far harder to solve and require a lot more new technology than VR's requirement of just needing better screens and higher refresh rates to scale upwards.

There's a whole lot more going on in here besides skepticism.

Happens every time Microsoft releases a new technology and shows their forward-thinking.
We're not talking about a released product. This was a staged demo brought to life by an additional camera.

It has nothing to do with the company that makes it. Though it doesn't help they've faked their way through demos before.

Top Bottom