• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens Minecraft Demo

Rembrandt

Banned
forward-thinking is great.
forward-demoing via staged smokes-and-mirrors demos is bad.

there's no agenda here. Show us what you can currently do, tell us what you'd like to be able to do in the future.

showing us stuff that isn't possible currently is shady.

But they've showed, demoed it and had press hands on. this isn't vaporware. literally the worse thing is the FOV, but I've read that it was wider on the early prototype, lowered with the next and they're working on the middle ground. there are numerous hands on stuff.

DLaicH

What are you talking about? It's not a projector, it's AR, it's just covering up what is there like you would if you put a piece of paper over it. If it were a projection the camera wouldn't need to wear anything for us to see it.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't be able to darken anything, because it's still projecting light on the glass in front of your eyes in order to create the overlay. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how it could overlay blacks at all, because the possible range would be transparent to white instead of black to white.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I simply can't imagine what it must be like to go through life and not be able to get excited by the prospect of new technology.

I can't imagine walking through life being so ignorant that I accept anything that somebody tells me without applying even the smallest amount of critical thinking.

NoPiece

There's a whole lot more going on in here besides skepticism.

Happens every time Microsoft releases a new technology and shows their forward-thinking.

How many Kinect game demos did Microsoft show at their conference? The Kinect skepticism turned out to be more than justified. Hololens has much more potential than Kinect, but they are creating unreachable expectations by misrepresenting the FOV in the stage demos.

Sethista

cool demo, not gonna be applicable to most people interested in it, and not gonna work the way it was shown.

Still very excited for tonight and the morpheus showing. That for me will be the moment where we will see if VR for consoles is viable, or will be in the near future.

Beefy

I simply can't imagine what it must be like to go through life and not be able to get excited by the prospect of new technology.

What HoloLens could be in the future is great.
A company not saying how it is now and hyping it up too much not so good. People can like a idea but can also have a go at a company for bullshit.

That demo blew my mind. Actually made me want to play a Minecraft game, which is saying something.

The only question I have is: is the hololens a separate device that runs off Windows 10, or can you use it with the Xbox One? Or both?!

I can't imagine walking through life being so ignorant that I accept anything that somebody tells me without applying even the smallest amount of critical thinking.

I can't imagine going through live believing everything spun my way.

Critical thinking usually requires one to have some sort of in-depth experience with the subject matter.

I seriously doubt you have actually used this device before. Early impressions by the press have specifically stated that the technology works. The one major downside being the viewable area, which can and will be expanded as time goes on and tech improves.

I'm just not as cynical as you two appear to be. I much prefer optimism.

Fliesen

I simply can't imagine what it must be like to go through life and be so cynical as to not be able to get excited by the prospect of new technology.

You're getting dangerously close to strawman territory just to paint people who have reasonable doubt and skepticism about the current state of this technology and the authenticity of this demo as some sort of jaded, unexcitable microsoft haters.

Trust me, most of the people in this thread are excited about VR, which has been proven to work as advertised. The HoloLens does simply currently NOT work as it is being demoed.

Ferrio

Banned
That demo blew my mind. Actually made me want to play a Minecraft game, which is saying something.

The only question I have is: is the hololens a separate device that runs off Windows 10, or can you use it with the Xbox One? Or both?!

It's suppose to be a standalone device running windows 10.

Fliesen

Critical thinking usually requires one to have some sort of in-depth experience with the subject matter.

I seriously doubt you have actually used this device before. Early impressions by the press have specifically stated that the technology works. The one major downside being the viewable area, which can and will be expanded as time goes on and tech improves.

I'm just not as cynical as you appear to be. I much prefer optimism.

see, i'm excited about full body tracking. The technology is fantastic and its implications are groundbreaking.
Still doesn't change the fact that Microsoft demoed a bunch of bullshit anytime they demoed their Kinect tech.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But they've showed, demoed it and had press hands on. this isn't vaporware. literally the worse thing is the FOV, but I've read that it was wider on the early prototype, lowered with the next and they're working on the middle ground. there are numerous hands on stuff.

I think the first demo behind the scenes was with tethered units, so having access to more computing power because there was no need to be self-contained. Those had a wider FoV.

That might suggest that optically there isn't as much of an issue with FoV, it is more of a computing restriction. That could be good, especially if they allow you to stream to the headset, allowing your host PC to take on the main computing burden.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I simply can't imagine what it must be like to go through life and be so cynical as to not be able to get excited by the prospect of new technology.

In terms of the demo they showed it's nothing that new. The 3DS was making shit pop out of tables 5 years ago. The interactivity is cool and something that will be great in the future but right now it just wouldn't work the way they presented it in the demo.

WolvenOne

Don't trust Microsoft not to embellish in their tech demo's anymore. I mean it's a nice concept, but seeing as they never really responded to the FoV issues brought up in the past I can only assume it's still an issue.

In terms of the demo they showed it's nothing that new. The 3DS was making shit pop out of tables 5 years ago. The interactivity is cool and something that will be great in the future but right now it just wouldn't work the way they presented it in the demo.

I'm going to reserve that judgement for when I'm finally able to get my hands on one and play with it myself.

dontbelieveinhislies.jpeg

Looked like total bullshit. Didn't even look all that interactive either. Using Minecraft as a demo was pretty smart though.

The second part of the demo looked cool, but it was basically just a "second screen" type of experience since it didn't seem like you could actually play it that way. The first part was no better than playing it on a tv or monitor.

How many Kinect game demos did Microsoft show at their conference? The Kinect skepticism turned out to be more than justified. Hololens has much more potential than Kinect, but they are creating unreachable expectations by misrepresenting the FOV in the stage demos.

All the Kinect features ended up in finished retail games. This has been pointed out so many times, and yet it still comes up.

Seriously, people need better examples.

DJ88

Huge gimmick. What's so exciting about watching someone ELSE play minecraft? It's worse than a LP.

Could be amazing for RTS games or stuff like Dota and League.

And also, just because MS is guilty of doing it in the past means everything they do from then on is undeniably staged?

This was definitely milo 2.0 as far as bullshit demos go. As others have said the hololens fov is not even close to what they portrayed.

That whole demo was a big lie. While maybe, one day, something kind of like that could work, there's no way THAT will happen any time in the current Xbox One console generation. Or probably the one after that.

You have to admit, MS have a history of being full of shit when it comes to these demos though.

Sure, but this isn't the first demo of Hololens. Plenty of people outside of Microsoft have tried various versions and demos of it. They all say it works.

that was about conventional display technology and processing power.

I think the optics of a see-through display that covers your entire field of vision is less of an issue than just adding a higher refresh rate, higher pixel density panel to your head mounted device.

not saying things can't get better, but there's improvements that are trivial and some that are non trivial.
making Kinect work flawlessly was non-trivial and Microsoft still didn't get it to work, even in Gen 2.

i don't see how anyone could not be a skeptic about Microsoft tech demos. What's the precedent that makes you believe Microsoft would ever demo anything to work the way it actually works. I don't see how they have earned your benefit of the doubt.

Sure, but the point is this product isn't finished. Kinect was more or less in the final stages with a date when it was shown and people tried it and gave first hand impressions of it. Those impressions didn't match up to the video. People have tried Hololens and the impression has been positive outside of the FOV issue. We don't know when even this first iteration is due to hit the market. So right now there's nothing to indicate that there's no time for improvement or that it won't improve. I highly doubt they're going to release it as is with such a tiny FOV. I'd be skeptic if they said due out by Christmas, but they haven't.

Vandiger

That whole demo was a big lie. While maybe, one day, something kind of like that could work, there's no way THAT will happen any time in the current Xbox One console generation. Or probably the one after that.

Just filler for this press conference, stick that type of stuff in CES or something.

Bsigg12

If that's all real then i'm impressed as hell.
I can't really se it work dor that many games though

It is, the only thing is the FOV is currently on the small side from everything we heard at Build this year. The device itself works, it's just it isn't as encompassing as we would all like. Given a few iterations though, it could be something.

Top Bottom