• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens Minecraft Demo

Lazaro

Hololens look's alright. The only issue I'm hearing from users is that large holograms are hindered by the FOV. Otherwise the battery only lasts a good 4 hours but sounds okay so far.

Seeing as how this is an unfinished product, It is expected changes and improvements will be made to the headset.

While HoloLens might not be amazing for the more 'traditional' games, this kinda thing looked really awesome. We actually have a prototype at Moon that'd be perfect for this kinda stuff - Looked very cool, can't wait to get my hands on it :)

DJ88

That whole demo was a big lie. While maybe, one day, something kind of like that could work, there's no way THAT will happen any time in the current Xbox One console generation. Or probably the one after that.

Hahah. You act like simple AR is this crazy magic that can't possibly exist and won't be attainable for over a decade.

It's not a pipe dream. The 3DS has already been doing exactly what that Minecraft demo did on a much smaller scale for years. All MS is doing is taking the tech off a screen and displaying it infront of your eyes so it's layed over your own view. They just gotta get the FOV issues solved.

DorkyMohr

Banned
It is, the only thing is the FOV is currently on the small side from everything we heard at Build this year. The device itself works, it's just it isn't as encompassing as we would all like. Given a few iterations though, it could be something.

Which iteration is going to come to market is the question.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah there's no way that performs anywhere near that capacity on release. And even so... he just dropped a few lightning bolts. Not very exciting.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Sure, but this isn't the first demo of Hololens. Plenty of people outside of Microsoft have tried various versions and demos of it. They all say it works.

They say it works, but they also say it doesn't work as well as the demos suggest. My point is that I'm skeptical of MS because their demos tend to be "We are going to pretend this is how it is." I would rather they showed "This is how it is right now, and this is what we aim for it to be".
I want them to stop trying to bullshit me and be honest. I'm much more inclined to be on board if I'm not treated like a moron being spun a line.

So it looks like you can build and play the game while it's projected on your wall, but the whole "Minecraft on your coffee table" only allows you to view the world, but not build??

Can you build your world WHILE it's displayed on your coffee table with hand gestures and stuff??

I am guessing the rig that hooks up to the camera is probably superior to what they can do in a headset currently. You don't have the issues with field of view you might have with the HoloLens headset, color reproduction is probably superior as is positional tracking. I am sure HoloLens works, but maybe its not quite at the level you can do with a whole camera rig.

They say it works, but they also say it doesn't work as well as the demos suggest. My point is that I'm skeptical of MS because their demos tend to be "We are going to pretend this is how it is." I would rather they showed "This is how it is right now, and this is what we aim for it to be".
I want them to stop trying to bullshit me and be honest. I'm much more inclined to be on board if I'm not treated like a moron being spun a line.

I find that their tech reveals like this are much less of an insult to my intelligence if I go into them knowing that they're showing us their vision of what they want the tech to eventually be. It might not be at that level at present time, and that's fine by me.

I'm more excited at the prospect, and their enthusiasm tells me that they're on the same page.

Rembrandt

Banned

which articles were that?

tanooki27

a great "mind blown" moment for the microsoft conference. they shoulda featured this at the beginning. MS's investment in Mojang starting to bud

Shin-Ra

I still don't see the entertainment value of mixing the real world in this way, it just adds more jank and takes you out of the game more than the 'real life' borders around a normal display.

For mapping it's great.

AndyD

aka andydumi
which articles were that?

Come on, ther ehave been many articles on these limitations. Here's one:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/1/8527645/microsoft-hololens-build-2015-augmented-reality-headset

But HoloLens only feels natural when you're not handling anything much bigger than a basketball. It produces a magic square the size of a large TV screen, and the moment something slips outside, it disappears. It's possible to imagine that a small object has just dipped out of sight, but for a larger one, you either have to step quite a ways back or content yourself with just seeing pieces of it in the center of your vision. It shatters the illusion, and it looks very little like the amazing whole-world illusions of Microsoft's videos. Even a heads-up display becomes less useful once your peripheral and near-peripheral vision is off-limits. And a couple of Microsoft's ideas clearly just seem meant for virtual, not augmented, reality. You could drop into a hidden world in the origami demo or look around a full-sized landscape in the architecture program, but it's hard to piece together what's going on through that little window, especially when you could be looking at the whole thing at once with an Oculus Rift.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This is it. This is the future. AR has so much more general user potential then VR it is crazy. Both are amazing pieces of technology though.

Electret

I find that their tech reveals like this are much less of an insult to my intelligence if I go into them knowing that they're showing us their vision of what they want the tech to eventually be. It might not be at that level at present time, and that's fine by me.

I'm more excited at the prospect, and their enthusiasm tells me that they're on the same page.

I think all folks are asking is that MS acknowledge that, rather than omit the fact that the third-person camera view is not representative of what a Hololens wearer will see in its current iteration.

And that doesn't take away anything from what MS has achieved or what its potential may be.

yazanov

Banned
Meh. Yet another bullshit Kinect 3.0 demo by Microsoft that wont represent the final product. And even it were to be true ( doubt it ) , it has very little gaming applications for it similar to Kinect ( glorified camera and mic ) that most games didn't take advantage of.

VR is waaaay more interesting gaming wise. I predict this product will be DOA like Kinect.

ypo

lol fake as fuck. I like how the map started moving back before the guy *did it* at 1:14.

IdGMRn3.gif

Meh. Yet another bullshit Kinect 3.0 demo by Microsoft that wont represent the final product. And even it were to be true ( doubt it ) , it has very little gaming applications for it similar to Kinect ( glorified camera and mic ) that most games didn't take advantage of.

VR is waaaay more interesting gaming wise. I predict this product will be DOA like Kinect.

But...it wasn't.

Electret

This is it. This is the future. AR has so much more general user potential then VR it is crazy. Both are amazing pieces of technology though.

I won't be surprised to see a "hydrid" type HMD in the future - e.g., one that's an opaque display but with a camera of some kind (ideally a TOF depth camera, MS showed off a very small form factor one recently) that allows you to do AR on the camera feed.

The problem is Microsoft is presenting it in a way that makes it seem like it actually functions like that. As if you can play Minecraft in a Minority Report fashion with hand gestures and voice commands. That makes people go out and buy Xbox One's. It's purposeful. An Microsoft has a history of exaggerating the capabilities of their hardware and software. Look at Kinect. Look at their videos on the Xbox One OS. They are trying to fool customers.

I think all folks are asking is that MS acknowledge that, rather than omit the fact that the third-person camera view is not representative of what a Hololens wearer will see in its current iteration.

And that doesn't take away anything from what MS has achieved or what its potential may be.

The problem is Microsoft is presenting it in a way that makes it seem like it actually functions like that. As if you can play Minecraft in a Minority Report fashion with hand gestures and voice commands. That makes people go out and buy Xbox One's. It's purposeful. An Microsoft has a history of exaggerating the capabilities of their hardware and software. Look at Kinect. Look at their videos on the Xbox One OS. They are trying to fool customers.

One would also think that after all the Kinect tech reveals, people would have learned to keep their expectations in check...

woen

great tech but as always won't have any great game design use, it's the same thing over and over, hype bubble and then everybody forgot because no dev support (aside from 1 or 2 first party studios but it's more tech demos)

Heigic

Kinect was the fastest selling consumer electronic product and was DOA hmmm... Anyway I'll buy a Hololens when I can play Civilization like this.

Electret

One would also think that after all the Kinect tech reveals, people would have learned to keep their expectations in check...

Personally I think the onus is on MS with respect to informing consumers of the limitations of their products. And I think that's especially true when you're talking about sophisticated technologies - what does the average Joe know about FOV, optics, or AR? Jack shit, most likely. I highly doubt most people watching the Hololens demo were thinking about its optical limitations, as that's just not common knowledge.

Anyway, I'm not that worked up about the whole thing. The device is damned cool and it's going to do damned cool things.

I don't quite understand how this works or the benefits? Does it project the screen .... I don't understand. So this is AR technically we can play games through the hololens, that means I can play on any surface? I ask because I am trying to find the benefit of having this. I am glad that microsoft is pushing forward though.

NickFire

That looked really, really cool. But I don't believe for one second that MS can, in the near future, get that tech into a consumer friendly set up at a consumer friendly price. I also highly doubt that the current consoles or even modestly priced pc's can push the numbers needed for good looking and fast paced games.

Personally I think the onus is on MS with respect to informing consumers of the limitations of their products. And I think that's especially true when you're talking about sophisticated technologies - what does the average Joe know about FOV, optics, or AR? Jack shit, most likely. I highly doubt most people watching the Hololens demo were thinking about its optical limitations, as that's just not common knowledge.

E3 is not about informing consumers about the technical limitations of products. It's not about crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's, and it's never been about that. It's a technology showcase, a media event to get people excited and hyped about new products.

How boring would it be if they stood up there and got into the specifics about FOV, optics, limitations, etc? It would put people to sleep. That's not what the event is about, and I'm honestly surprised that some people in here would actually expect them to do just that.

As cool as it looked I don't get who is going to play Minecraft like that? They need to have a dedicated show with different games that show how it can be used and games built for it rather than retooled.

Soi-Fong

lol After Milo, after Kinect, after Kinect 2, after the Star Wars Kinect demo.. I ain't gonna fall for this again.

MS are the masters of hyping up expectations then shattering them.

fritolay

I want to play total war series on this sucker.

EDIT - I agree with many, I have almost zero interest in new hardware gimmicks for MS systems. I don't want any of them until 1) They are proven to work and 2) There are a decent amount of games.

Jeels

That minecraft purchase makes a whole lot more sense now. This is really the perfect game to highlight hololens.

DevilFox

Thing has potential, in 2-3 years I trust we'll see something actually cool. Shame for trying to fool us again with these staged demo, though..

Electret

E3 is not about informing consumers about the technical limitations of products. It's not about crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's, and it's never been about that. It's a technology showcase, a media event to get people excited and hyped about new products.

How boring would it be if they stood up there and got into the specifics about FOV, optics, limitations, etc? It would put people to sleep. That's not what the event is about, and I'm honestly surprised that some people in here would actually expect them to do just that.

I never suggested they present the limitations in sleep-inducing fashion, but rather demonstrate an application that's more representative of what they've achieved. That's all.

Enjoy E3.

mnannola

lol After Milo, after Kinect, after Kinect 2, after the Star Wars Kinect demo.. I ain't gonna fall for this again.

MS are the masters of hyping up expectations then shattering them.

Yep, too many times they have cried virtual reality wolf. I'll wait for reviews.

KiraXD

What they didnt show was that the guys hand when pulling and pushing blocks is located BEHIND the hologram.

This is (mockup) what youll see... the hologram will always be in front of your hands...

3HojmHa.png

This alone removes all WOW factor for me... it looks cool when nothing is in FRONT of what im looking at... but as soon as something is supposed to move in front of it... all immersion is lost.

NoPiece

That has nothing to do with what you said?

I said:
How many Kinect game demos did Microsoft show at their conference? The Kinect skepticism turned out to be more than justified. Hololens has much more potential than Kinect, but they are creating unreachable expectations by misrepresenting the FOV in the stage demos.

So I'm saying that who cares that the Kinect technology "shipped" when literally there wasn't a single mention of it, or a single game shown for it today. It is dead as a product and has no software support. May the Hololens avoid Kinect's fate.

Top Bottom