• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy Crap - Joystiq gets a Wii, exposes it to non-gamer roommate

Baryn

Banned
And it's blowing my mind.
Update 7: They're split. She's loving tennis, he's hating it.

* He says, "See, this is just how I thought it would be. This motion is so unrealistic."
* She says, "I like it."
* He says, "Just because you're moving your hand doesn't mean you're accurately simulating the game. Ping Pong [Rockstar's Xbox 360 version] is better."
* She says, "I actually enjoy this more. For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to move around in Ping Pong."
* He says, "Instead of having a nation full of obese children, we'll have a nation full of obese children with dexterity."
* She says, "Whatever! It's actually quite a workout. I'm getting sweaty. I feel like i really have to go thorugh the whole motion."
* He says, "Oh really? Watch this." He flicks his wrist a tiny bit, and smashes a ball to the opposite court.
* She says, "Oh, I guess I should tone my movement down. I'm having fun, but my arm is sore."

More initial impressions from non-gamer roomie in the previous updates. Of course, do not take this as everybody's impression, but it's more fun to think of it that way! I feel like I am watching Nintendo's destiny unfold... :lol

[edit] A link might be helpful. http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/10/wii-en-la-casa-de-joystiq/

Baryn

Banned
Fallofmart said:
Judging from the first bits I'm reading, his roommate is quite clearly a ****ing moron.
He's never even heard of Wii before. Clearly, he's coming from a completely different angle on this. Even if he is an idiot, there are a lot of idiots like him who will contribute to the console wars.

Baryn said:
He's never even heard of Wii before. Clearly, he's coming from a completely different angle on this. Even if he is an idiot, there are a lot of idiots like him who will contribute to the console wars.

Not because of his knowledge, just the way he judges it in such a negative way and the language he uses to do it. E.g -

"The box is all faggy. It's white and baby blue. It looks like a chick's toy." "It feels like I'm holding my dick"

Baryn

Banned
Fallofmart said:
Not because of his knowledge, just the way he judges it in such a negative way and the language he uses to do it. E.g -

"The box is all faggy. It's white and baby blue. It looks like a chick's toy." "It feels like I'm holding my dick"
Dumb-Jock types also buy consoles. Apparently he owns a 360.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Fallofmart said:

You just pretty much summed up the way 90% of college-age guys who are casual (or non) gamers will react to the Wii.

_leech_ said:
Only non-gamers who love the Wii are "right", non-gamers who hate it are obviously stupid retards.

truth-of-max-payne.jpg

Christopher

Fallofmart said:

This just in! This is how most college students act!

I love all these Nintendo defensive replys "he should die if he doesn't like it!"

birdchili

_leech_ said:
Only non-gamers who love the Wii are "right", non-gamers who hate it are obviously stupid retards.

hey - i'm mocking him for general boorishness, not for any specific opinion he has of any console.

it's more of a general all-around jerk kind of criticism. he might be "right", but he's still a jerk.

_leech_ said:

Did you even read the OP? That guy is clearly straight out of high school, and those types get labeled as idiots everywhere by everybody, and will always be.

Christopher-san said:
This just in! This is how most college students act!

I love all these Nintendo defensive replys "he should die if he doesn't like it!"

I've said nothing of the Wii, I'm just calling the guy a dick.

And I'm not from the US, I don't know how your college kids are.

A bunch of idiots obviously.

birdchili said:
it's more of a general all-around jerk kind of criticism. he might be "right", but he's still a jerk.

Well you can't expect a non-gamer to look at a gaming console and properly analyze it like we do. Non-gamers are the one's who go around saying purple's a fruity color and handles are gay, what else would you expect?

_leech_ said:
Well you can't expect a non-gamer to look at a gaming console and properly analyze it like we do. Non-gamers are the one's who go around saying purple's a fruity color and handles are gay, what else would you expect?

It's not a matter of being a non-gamer. Being a gamer doesn't automatically grant you the use of proper language. Non-gamers can be dissatisfied with Wii and explain why they didn't like it, in very simple terms, without resorting to high school antics.

EDIT: and I've known plenty of gamers who think the handles are "gay." Actually, I think that's more of a gamer thing than a non-gamer thing; non-gamers don't care enough to think about the handle.

SpiffyG

_leech_ said:
Actually, all the people I've ever heard say purple is fruity and the GC is a purse have been gamers. Besides, he's trying to properly analyze it, he just can't. He's an idiot.

Dahbomb

He says, "Instead of having a nation full of obese children, we'll have a nation full of obese children with dexterity."

That part cracked me up... :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Fallofmart said:

A bunch of drunks obviously.

Fixed.

They're drunks who likes they Mario Karts, though, so once Mawiio Kart comes out, they won't care what the Wii looks like.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Fallofmart said:
I've said nothing of the Wii, I'm just calling the guy a dick.

Watch Borat at the cinema

keke

Dahbomb said:
He says, "Instead of having a nation full of obese children, we'll have a nation full of obese children with dexterity."

That part cracked me up... :lol

It was funny :lol :lol

RaidenZR

I'm sorry, and I'm a lousy human being for being judgemental and insulting, but these people don't deserve to be playing Zelda early.

It would be ideal if such priveledges went to the devoted, obsessive, and the appreciative. Not friends of people who happen to run game blogs. Or a little closer to ideal if there was some overlap between the two... but alas, this Joystiq scenario is both aggrivating and depressing, regardless of its potential indications of how average people wil react to the system.

RaidenZR

Sho Nuff said:
If someone doesn't like the Wii they're clearly some sort of drooling Mongoloid.

You people are assholes

Well I wasn't trying to imply that with my post. I just wish that if the system was landing in the hands of certain people early, it would be for those who crave it and who would most certainly appreciate it more. That's all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Who seriously can't figure out how to move in Table Tennis?

You literally can play the game with just one button.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
RaidenZR said:
Well I wasn't trying to imply that with my post. I just wish that if the system was landing in the hands of certain people early, it would be for those who crave it and who would most certainly appreciate it more. That's all.

My "gamer's sense of entitlement" meter is off the charts.

Christopher

RaidenZR said:

...what? Reviewers are meant to give unbiased impressions of the games, what are you going on about this "deserving and appreciate it" more crap?

Sho Nuff said:
If someone doesn't like the Wii they're clearly some sort of drooling Mongoloid.

You people are assholes

And you didn't read the Joystique article.

Either that, or you're a lot more tolerant of people saying things like "faggy." To me, that an insult.

woxel1

Fallofmart said:

A bunch of idiots obviously.
Here's an honest to goodness conversation I had last night:

Girl Next Door A: I'm returning some movies I borrowed. We hated American Psycho.

Me: Oh, well, that's too bad.

Girl Next Door A: Yeah, we want to watch something scary, you know?

Me: Okay, well, how about Seven? Seven's scary?

Girl Next Door B: Seven's not scary at all. It makes you think but it's not scary.

Me: Well then... you might not like it but why not try eXistenZ?

:looks at box:

Girl Next Door A: ...Looks too independent.

In closing, the Wii is not for everyone, and most college kids are idiots kthxbai

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Baryn said:
I call it common slang.

I agree. We need to use "faggy" more often. Along with queertastic, niggeriffic, and chinktacular. It's all good fun, right?

*sigh*

Cauliflower of Love said:
You got offended at someone calling the box faggy?

:lol

I got offended that the word was used at all. It doesn't matter who or what it was directed at, that type of language demeans a group of human beings.

You'd probably understand if he'd called the box "jewish" or something. Everybody cares about racial slurs, but gay slurs? Nobody gives a ****.

Top Bottom