• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy Crap - Joystiq gets a Wii, exposes it to non-gamer roommate

bumpkin

ivysaur12 said:
What a d-bag.
I concur, though I feel that way because Joystiq isn't really legit media... They're just some web blog. Lame that they somehow got a Wii. Lucky ****ers. Well, just plain ****ers period.

Didn't any of you guys watch the gamespot wii marathon? Playing the wii makes you really bored and depressed. What non-gamer would want that?

guise

Baryn said:
You've described only people over 45. Everyone today plays games at some point or another. I know plenty of people who own game consoles who I would not call gamers. Just like anybody who owns a DVD player is not a film buff.

Oh come on, owning a £280 console for sporadic use hardly constitutes as a non-gamer and cant be compared to owning a DVD player theyre used for completely different things.

A non-gamer is someone not into games or consoles at all, they wouldnt really have much of a knowledge on games, developers or manufacturers either.

puck1337

EphemeralDream said:
Rhodes Scholar. You totally trapped yourself there dude.
Not that he's done this, but intentional misspelling is one of my favourite methods of trolling.

Example:

- Person A writes "waiting with baited breath"
- I point out Person A's error, and I accuse them of being "pretenshous"
- Person A, being a huge nerd, is compelled to reply
- Delicious popcorn is popped and enjoyed by onlookers

birdchili

---- said:
People trying to say faggy is as bad as the word nigger are really stretching big time.

it's more socially acceptable.

but there's no reason it *should* be.

we'll get over it eventally i imagine. it's fair game for mockery though.

Rushmore

---- said:
In common language and slang calling something faggy or queer is not at all considered the same as using racial slurs like nigger and chink. You're not going to lose your job in an office environment for calling something faggy or queer.

Maybe if your idea of an office environment is Staples.

* She says, "Whatever! It's actually quite a workout. I'm getting sweaty. I feel like i really have to go thorugh the whole motion."

If this hasn't been said.... "Make a move, make a move, she's up for it!!"

Firestorm

---- said:
In common language and slang calling something faggy or queer is not at all considered the same as using racial slurs like nigger and chink. You're not going to lose your job in an office environment for calling something faggy or queer.

I've never heard my mom use a bad word in her life and even she refers to some things and behaviors as gay or faggy. People trying to say faggy is as bad as the word nigger are really stretching big time. Sure you could substitute a more politically correct description like effeminate or uncool in certain situations, but realistically speaking most people don't do that in common slang.

Go up to a co-worker in front of your boss and call him/her a fag.
I dare you. Seriously.

bumpkin said:
I concur, though I feel that way because Joystiq isn't really legit media...

That's just living in the past. Blogs are more and more accepted as legit media now. Companies really need to get up to speed on how the internet is evolving. Nintendo seems to be learning.

Firestorm said:
That's just living in the past. Blogs are more and more accepted as legit media now. Companies really need to get up to speed on how the internet is evolving. Nintendo seems to be learning.

Eh...it's not like Joystiq create content, for the most part. I don't see why they need to be given a free console - they won't write reviews, post screencaps or any real impressions.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
TheGreatDave said:
Eh...it's not like Joystiq create content, for the most part. I don't see why they need to be given a free console - they won't write reviews, post screencaps or any real impressions.

They're talking Wii. We're talking about Wii because they're talking about Wii. Mission accomplished.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Grecco said:
I love it how a gamer who has played Xbox/PS2 and loves rockstars table tennis is a "Non Gamer"
Heh, that's what I was thinking.

The box is all faggy.
inside-office.jpg
250px-Oscar_The_Office.JPG

The "hardcore" guys will rip on anything as being "faggy" if it's not in an exclusive area that's "macho" or "bitching". I'm not anywhere near that area and I don't care. I'm not really a nintendo fan either, In the UK the master system and mega drive were king and they're dead and gone now, and had a totally different aesthetic so all the nintendo "classics" to me just get examined as any other game would be... lots of classics, but lots of rubbish too, that most nintendo fans would never pick up out of pure fandom.

As I said before, I don't make a habit of befriending the guys who would diss anything because it was "faggotty". Doesn't happen really in the uk anyway, but the sentiment is there for a certain segment. Nintendo has firmly moved away from the madden/burnout/tekken crowd much to their popular detriment, that's most of the teenage audience in america. DOH.

Personally, I feel the DS was a mastermove with the female audience, I like it too, but i'm not in the portable market, I'd never play a portable. The wii on the other hand, seems like it could be as fun as samba di amigo, or imagine a wii pilotwings, i'd be there!!! I just see a lot of drek right now.

Firestorm

TheGreatDave said:

That is true, but like KDup said, they do give impressions and many readers find Joystiq/******/other blogs more "personal" than IGN/GameSpot/1UP. Nowadays, ****** and Joystiq are basically the same, but they still give out that more personal vibe to some. It feels more like word of mouth when it's on a blog and not major site.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Baryn said:
I don't use it. But it gets used.

This guy is no Road Scholar, but he's not the redneck that you and others are making him out to be.

Is that like...a touring scholar?

Firestorm said:
That is true, but like KDup said, they do give impressions and many readers find Joystiq/******/other blogs more "personal" than IGN/GameSpot/1UP. Nowadays, ****** and Joystiq are basically the same, but they still give out that more personal vibe to some. It feels more like word of mouth when it's on a blog and not major site.

Meh, you may as well give the high ups in the GAF leagues free Wii's by that logic. I get what you're saying, and obviously Nintendo do too, but I just find your Joystiqs and Kocensoredtakus to usually just be steeling other peoples content, just positioned as "finding" it.

psy18

Joystiq always bash anything. Sony, MS, and especially Nintendo.
But lately they're leaning towards Sony and MS, and bash Nintendo more.

And seeing the "He" Non-Gamer roommate comments, it seems clear he's not in neutral stance from the start.

Uh, I think the 'he' is a douche, regardless of console allegiance.

That being said, some of the Nintendo fans seem a bit overly defensive. You can't expect to win everyone over, guys.

TFIFF said:
I don't know why anyone would find this joystiq post thing unbelievable, of course people actually talk like this:

Also, who couldn't see that this handsome double chinned fellow clearly sported teh body of an expert tennis master?:

roommieholdingwii.jpg

Yeah so I totally got my completely real neighbor to comment on the Wii.He said "the name was a prepostorous juxtaposition, so outlandish in its conception that it may well cause the moon to combust." He then went on to say Zelda (aka minigame collection) is too kiddy ("there isn't even curbstomping =/") and proclaimed that Excite Truck (btw he is a profesisonal race car driver) didn't have enough bloom. Also, he is a non-gamer but he knows what bloom is ok he just does ok.
Lolz. This and Junkwaffle are winners.

loosus

Banned
This issue also indicates that you'll want to locate your couch directly in front of your screen. My couches sit at an angle to the screen, throwing off the aim of the Wiimote
Exactly what I was afraid of. My living-room setup just doesn't accomodate the Wii very well right now. I guess I'll be skipping it for a while, until either a.) they get this issue fixed or b.) I have a different living-room setup.

loosus said:
Exactly what I was afraid of. My living-room setup just doesn't accomodate the Wii very well right now. I guess I'll be skipping it for a while, until either a.) they get this issue fixed or b.) I have a different living-room setup.
You can always adjust the angle of your sensor bar. Yeah, it's annoying to have to worry about ANOTHER piece in your setup -- that's one of my main gripes -- but it's one solution.

Tellaerin

Alkaliine said:
Yeah, and accordingly to Joystiq this guy also said ExciteTruck was "intuitive". I mean, come one, who the hell says that in real life?

You must hang out with some pretty braindead people if 'intuitive' is the kind of word that never comes up in conversation. Sure, a lot of college kids are rude and crass, but rude and crass doesn't necessarily equal stupid or inarticulate.

ethelred

---- said:

I work in an office. If I called something faggy or queer at my workplace, I'd be either in front of my manager or in HR within a half hour.

It may be common language and it may be slang, but it is most assuredly a slur. You can think that's fine -- whatever -- but to suggest it's acceptable in any sort of office setting is just ridiculous.

small studio office where it's more of a family friendly environement where every one is comfy with everyone.. yes you can get away with those words

but in larger sized studio of 1000 people that has alot of admin and HR... Nope, you can't use those words.. (you can to your close friends, but),, too risky in a large environment

Nameless

:lol :lol :lol @ Nintendo fans... One casual gamer doesn't like Wii and you guys unleash hell as if Steve Kent or someone shat in the disc tray.

But seriously LMFAO@ the guy pwning the wii controls. The fact that you don't have to get close to simulating the movents in most wii games further kills the illusion of innovation. It would be like waggling the 360 controller while attacking in Oblivion..Its not needed at all, but I guess it would "add to the experience.." or not.

Dragmire

This guy sounds idiotic even without offensive words. He has some kind of bias against the colors blue and white, and it manages to look both faggy and 'trying to be like Apple.' He already plays games and compares it to Xbox and PlayStation controls, but this is too complicated to learn... Interesting guy. Don't tell me if any of your friends said this kind of stuff, you wouldn't think they were stupid.

Nameless

Dragmire said:
This guy sounds idiotic even without offensive words. He has some kind of bias against the colors blue and white, and it manages to look both faggy and 'trying to be like Apple.' He already plays games and compares it to Xbox and PlayStation controls, but this is too complicated to learn... Interesting guy. Don't tell me if any of your friends said this kind of stuff, you wouldn't think they were stupid.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I've heard it all from nin-fans..

goodnight!

The guy is a douche. No doubt about it.

Sure he doesn't like Nintendo and that's fine... it's his opinion. What makes him a complete douche though is the way he goes about saying it. I don't want a PS3 but I'm not going to go out and say, lol what is this a VCR? OH MAN THE CONTROLLER... IT'S THE EXACT SAME AS THE LAST ONE IT'S ****ING RETARDED. The guy literally goes out of his way to make sure no one has fun with the system by pointing out the fact that all you need to do is simple little wrist gestures to hit the tennis ball. That's true but basically it was like he was telling his girlfriend that she's stupid for even having fun with the system.

Plus the roommate is NOT a non-gamer... he plays the 360.

----

Banned
Firestorm said:
Go up to a co-worker in front of your boss and call him/her a fag.
I dare you. Seriously.
I didn't say you could call a person you work with a fag or queer. :lol I said if you refer to something (like an inanimate object in this case) as faggy or queer you are not going to get in trouble. On the other hand using a racial slur no matter what you're talking about is going to get you in deep shit. Trying to claim that the word "faggy" is the same as using the word "n*gger" is retarded.

Also trying to portray someone as an uneducated neanderthal cause they referred to something they perceived effeminate as "faggy" is really silly. It is simply common slang that nobody thinks twice about using in public. Could be that certain areas of the country it's usage is less common. I know in NY at least people use the word "gay" to describe things a lot and they rarely ever are talking about homosexuality. Speech varies from state to state, in MA everything cool is referred to as "wicked" yet here I've never heard anyone use the term commonly.

BTW for the record I do not agree with this person that Wii or iPod looks faggy. I think they are both very cool designs.

Adagio

Nameless said:
:lol :lol :lol @ Nintendo fans... One casual gamer doesn't like Wii and you guys unleash hell as if Steve Kent or someone shat in the disc tray.

But seriously LMFAO@ the guy pwning the wii controls. The fact that you don't have to get close to simulating the movents in most wii games further kills the illusion of innovation. It would be like waggling the 360 controller while attacking in Oblivion..Its not needed at all, but I guess it would "add to the experience.." or not.
IT'S EMURRRSIVVV!!1

Rocked

mashedpotatoes said:
As I said before, I don't make a habit of befriending the guys who would diss anything because it was "faggotty". Doesn't happen really in the uk anyway, but the sentiment is there for a certain segment.

I think most people here (in the UK) tend to stop calling things gay when they've left school unless they're incredibly immature. I'm surprised at how casually words like "faggot" and "retard" are thrown around by American people and how they can't see the comparison with racist insults.

rezuth

Sho Nuff said:
If someone doesn't like the Wii they're clearly some sort of drooling Mongoloid.

You people are assholes
Obviously he was just trying to play it cool and was acting like an total retard. If he actully brought up some valid points without getting an mature rating I could perhaps listen to what he says.

Roi

I'm selling my Nintendo stocks right now.

Wii is soo overhyped, I think it will dissapoint most people.

Top Bottom