• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West will launch on PS4 too

MadYarpen

So it looks like the only improvement is better visuals, and less loading.

It is nice, but not enough to justify buying the console on launch - for me at least.

The game looked fantastic on the base PS4... I hoped next gen sequel would add something to the AI, make the world more complex etc... If they have to make it run on the old cpu, it is not likely:(

xrnzaaas

It's an understandable move considering the budget of the game, but still very disappointing news. Next-gen doesn't really sound next-gen anymore when the most promising game graphically will be available on the current gen console models as well.

Stuart360

It's an understandable move considering the budget of the game, but still very disappointing news. Next-gen doesn't really sound next-gen anymore when the most promising game graphically will be available on the current gen console models as well.
See it depends for me. If all these cross gen games are 4k/60, then i would much prefer that than a stuttery 30fps at dynamic 4k with better effetcs or ray tracing etc.

Eliciel

Got to be honest though a lot of those faces and stuff we saw didn't look like a generational leap. At all. Outside of particles, lighting and effects they didnt look a world away from what we have now.

Having said that, COVID and the economy probably forecasts slow uptake after the initial front loaded early adopters. Games are for everyone and if you have invested in Xbox or PlayStation then its nice they feel a duty of care to look after those in that position
Same Here, didn't Look "Next Gen" to me...

NahaNago

Sony's method of saying very little about next gen or its games seem to be creating more hype for the long term and the bad news we get bit by bit only seems to chip away at it a little. It's a great strategy since the games they have shown look amazing. If halo had looked like a next gen game then a lot of the controversy surrounding the game would have died down.

Got to be honest though a lot of those faces and stuff we saw didn't look like a generational leap. At all. Outside of particles, lighting and effects they didnt look a world away from what we have now.

Having said that, COVID and the economy probably forecasts slow uptake after the initial front loaded early adopters. Games are for everyone and if you have invested in Xbox or PlayStation then its nice they feel a duty of care to look after those in that position

It did look amazing to me but not quite the generational leap I was expecting and this explains why. They probably started making this game right after the last one. Same with Spiderman and the new God of War. I'm guessing the games made from the ground up for next gen won't pop up until at least 2022.

Last edited:
I never believed that this was issue with the hardware. Battlefield games have flying and first person combat, so obviously
Horizon could have that too.

Look at the difference in texture quality. Guerilla Games can of course do it, but at a cost. They will have to fit the next 30 seconds of gameplay inside the RAM and the player can go everywhere. Now if Horizon 1 was made this way, it will not look as good as it does. They can make Horizon Forbidden West have it, but it will look worse than the first game. Horizon 2 looking worse than Horizon 1 is not good marketing-wise. Naturally, they will have to wait for that SSD and fast I/O to implement anything of this sort.

Last edited:

Neolombax

It’ll run like Horizon 1 on PS4, and just at a higher resolution and possibly frame rate on PS5. It’s a PS4 game that’ll just get bonus power to add on top of it on Ps5. It’s not being made for PS5 then down ported.

I doubt it but we'll see.

John Wick

But but compromises!!! Only next gen on the PS5 because sony believe in generations.

Lol. You all had it coming to you
Had what coming?
The shit show that was Halo Infinite got rightly called out.
H2FW looked fanatastic from what was shown. Don't see what the problem was?
MM is just an expansion or small standalone title. I'd release it on PS4 too as it's easy money.

Dibils2k

this is the most disappointing thing to come out, this just confirms it will be another run of the mill open world game just with fast loading

i was really hoping this game would use the SSD in its game design

i see many people going "it will still look great graphically"... really? was this the worry of crossgen for people? lol worry of crossgen is limitations of game design because it has to work on a shitty CPU and cant use SSD for anything other than loading faster

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Had what coming?
The shit show that was Halo Infinite got rightly called out.
H2FW looked fanatastic from what was shown. Don't see what the problem was?
MM is just an expansion or small standalone title. I'd release it on PS4 too as it's easy money.
The second phil mentioned cross generation the Sony fans here have tossed it in xbox fans faces well before Craig. At least Phil is honest and transparent.

John Wick

It’ll run like Horizon 1 on PS4, and just at a higher resolution and possibly frame rate on PS5. It’s a PS4 game that’ll just get bonus power to add on top of it on Ps5. It’s not being made for PS5 then down ported.
How do you know? Are you working on the game? The game looked fantastic from what was shown.

"we believe in generations"

No matter how you put it, in the end this PS4 release makes it a current gen game with a graphics mode for the PS5. We´re not going to see anything that would go beyond the capabilities of a 2010 mobile CPU or really require an SSD.
Very disappointing.

Last edited:
And it doesn't.
They can still take advantage of the SSD without fully utilizing it.
You realize that you can max out HZD on PC with a RTX 2070 Super, a card that's comparable to the PS5 GPU, right?
How do you know? Are you working on the game? The game looked fantastic from what was shown.
EqualSafeGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

So the PS4 version of Forbidden West would look similar to PC version of Horizon Zero Dawn, meanwhile the PS5 version would be the truly next gen version in lighting, reflections, texture quality, character models etc akin to the Middle earth shadow of mordor cross gen comparison or COD:Advanced Warfare cross gen comparison

The Unforeseen

Neo Member
Just seen this, and this has no doubt been mentioned countless times, but Xbox got some serious stick for having all that cross gen stuff ... but here we are it's the same across the board. Don't get me wrong, at least a lot of these games are coming sooner and halo was an utter balls up, but still. And im pleased overall, mainly because I was a little underwhelmed by some of these games (while still looking nice), but now I know they are cross gen that fills me with more hope for the games a little further down the road.

TigerKnee

Makes sense from a financial standpoint. I mean geez people get a grip. I'm not terribly concerned about this "held back" narrative. So what if it is? Less bells and whistles? Like most things in life, the shine eventually wears off. I just want fun games.

I mean let's say this game IS exclusive to PS5? I mean are you be happy paying $80 for a game that will probably last 10-20 hours? To me, that's the thing that upsets me the most out of all the announcements.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m sorry did I miss the announcement that no more games were coming out for PS4? Seems like that is what everyone expected for some stupid reason. Y’all wanted Spider Man DLC and Horizon 2 to not have a current gen port? LOL OK

This shit is beyond silly.

Last edited:

pasterpl

I’m sorry did I miss the announcement that no more games were coming out for PS4? Seems like that is what everyone expected for some stupid reason. Y’all wanted Spider Man DLC and Horizon 2 to not have a current gen port? LOL OK

nope, we were just expecting Sony not to lie about stuff (you know “we believe in generations”), so if we know that this game is also coming to PS4, and take into consideration what mark Cerny said about how slow hdd constrain game design, we can actually say that new horizon will not be a true next gen game

hemo memo

Surprise surprise. I bet they didn’t want this to be out. Not before launch at least. No. I don’t care about Horzion coming to the PS3 even. The problem us dishonestly and mixed messages. Fuck Sony for this.

Funny how they deliberately deceived by keep repeating “only possible with SSD and the power of PlayStation 5” and Cerny talking about how that will change game design. Yeah. Right.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Plus most of the fantastic looking cutscenes in HZD were actually rendered videos, i wonder how many people knew that. Its hard to tell as the video quality used is very high, but as soon as most cutscenes start on the PC version, gpu usage drops to almost nothing, a tell tale sign of video over actual graphics.

This is very common with Ps exclusives, and most of the time people post screenshots of those videos to showcase the graphical fidelity 🤷🏻‍♂️

The game looked fantastic on the base PS4... I hoped next gen sequel would add something to the AI, make the world more complex etc... If they have to make it run on the old cpu, it is not likely:(

I was also hoping for a more complex design, better animation, better AI, better everything. But it looks like they cannot deliver on them while also being a launch window title. My hope is that they're already working on the third iteration simultaneously so that we won't have to wait for too long.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to this game. I really enjoyed the first game.

That's actually dissapointing but I'll wait till it drops to see. There probably won't be any real next gen games until god of war which will probably get pushed back, no way they make 2021

SilentUser

So it looks like the only improvement is better visuals, and less loading.

It is nice, but not enough to justify buying the console on launch - for me at least.

Agreed. This was my biggest letdown. I was expecting some really nice upgrade, but now it is just going to be prettier graphics and much faster loading. Seems like I will remain playing on my PS4 Pro for a while.

To be honest, I wouldn't feel so letdown if they said from the very first time that this game was also coming to PS4.

hemo memo

Yeah you know how versions only get announced at the last minutes when the news gets out and they can’t lie about it.

The power of HDD and current gen.

evanft

Oh yeah I'm so excited to play a "next gen" game that is designed to run on low-end laptop CPU strapped to a Radeon 7870 with a whole eight gigs of RAM and a 5400 RPM hard drive.

I never played part one so I'll pick up a copy for $10 and then I'll wait a year after launch of HW and pick that up on disk as well. If sony wants me to buy a game day one on the PS5 they need to make it next gen "ONLY" and it can't be a remaster ( I'll never pay top dollar for a remaster)

So far the only advantage the launch PS5 has is load times and I suspect that won't change until sometime in 2021

MadYarpen

I was also hoping for a more complex design, better animation, better AI, better everything. But it looks like they cannot deliver on them while also being a launch window title. My hope is that they're already working on the third iteration simultaneously so that we won't have to wait for too long.

With that said, I'm still looking forward to this game. I really enjoyed the first game.
Agreed. This was my biggest letdown. I was expecting some really nice upgrade, but now it is just going to be prettier graphics and much faster loading. Seems like I will remain playing on my PS4 Pro for a while.

To be honest, I wouldn't feel so letdown if they said from the very first time that this game was also coming to PS4.

Personally I was expecting this to be the game to show what PS5 is capable of.

I will be happy to play this anyway, but it is possible I'll stick to ps4 now and upgrade my pc for Cyberpunk after all...

i was really hoping this game would use the SSD in its game design

Yeah I expect climbing through narrow pathways before you get to a significant portion of a game to still be in (Banuk tribe). Also markers for climbing rocky mountains, long bridges, and such. Expertly crafted level design to facilitate loading in the background.

soulbait

I still have no idea why people get so upset over this. Same thing with people getting upset with the games going to PC. If the games are fun, then why does it matter?

I just see a bunch of whiny people wanting something to validate their purchase, rather than just enjoying their hobby. Declaring it is holding a game back, without even seeing the game yet is silly. Not attempting to understand the economic choices they need to make now (have games on more platforms) due to the demanding costs of making a game nowadays is just childish.

This is just as bad as the whiny gatekeepers of different music genres, because they want to feel special about themselves. It is really what it boils down to: you want to feel like you belong to this special club, playing what you feel like are the best games that only those who belong to your special club can play. It is stupid and childish.

Ya'll continue to whine while us more sane people will just enjoy the games on whichever platforms we choose to buy into.

Fbh

Literally none of the big PS4 exclusives of the first year were on PS3, add to that their whole talk about "believing in generations and how cross gen can stagnate innovation" and it makes sense that people didn't expect this.

To be hones Spiderman wasn't surprising. It's a launch game, coming only 2 years after the original (basically ensuring a lot asset recycling) and they've been direct about it not being a full-blown sequel.

But Horizon is unexpected and disappointing for sure.

vkbest

Those 4 months make the difference.. I think not . Games take years to make , they where well on the way and knew it was for PS4 and 5.

4 months? The epidemic is not over. And yes, this make the difference, first because they couldn't produce the consoles they was expecting, second because economical crisis on a ton of countries will slow the upgrade from current gen to next gen.

Mista

Banned
Oohhh what happened to "we believe in generations" and "cross-gen games are bad and will hold back next-gen"?

Top Bottom