• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West will launch on PS4 too

I'll quote myself:

Getting a few million sales from Steam doesn't do fuck all to the bottom line and might actually hurt the PS business by making the console less attractive.

I've been trying to tell people here that the PS business isn't as good as it is made out to be. But everyone loves this "Sony is dominating Microsoft" narrative, which is far from reality. The actions of Sony management should speak for themselves at this point.

Esppiral

People needs to learn... And stop believing I marketing PR....

, "we believe in generations" Of course they do and that's why like every single generation since forever companies do crossgen games, yes even first party, shocking right?

I guess all those devs that came out of the woodworks these past 2 weeks to bury the Xbox Series S as an outcast that will hold back the next-gen should have actually been talking about the PS4. I'm sure they will talk about this just as fervently...*crickets*

Azurro

Banned
I've been trying to tell people here that the PS business isn't as good as it is made out to be. But everyone loves this "Sony is dominating Microsoft" narrative, which is far from reality. The actions of Sony management should speak for themselves at this point.

No, no, you are wrong, they have made billions and completely dominate the console landscape, Xbox isn't even a thing in most of the world. This isn't stupid console war childish stuff, stop it with your narratives.

No, no, you are wrong, they have made billions and completely dominate the console landscape, Xbox isn't even a thing in most of the world. This isn't stupid console war childish stuff, stop it with your narratives.
giphy.webp

LuisBell

Neo Member
Sony in June: "we believe in generations"
Gamers: "So do we!"
Sony in September:

Jl003EA.png

It's starting to sound that they "believe in generations" in the sense that we wont be able to get backwards compatibility even for PS3 games and to also buy new controlers.

They don't "believe in generations" when it comes to launch our new games even in 2021 for the PS4. Really dissapointed.

I feel ya on this. But keep in mind that it will look best on PS5. The PS5 games will look better than anything we're playing on PS4. Even better looking games will be released in the years to come!

And maybe this will restore some of your hype. Breath of the Wild released on Wii U and Switch. It was my first Switch game, and it is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Just because a game will release on PS4 doesn't mean it can't be the best game you've ever played.
Of course. But not optimizing it for the PS5 to a degree that it's impossible to run on the PS4 means that there's been clear compromised made to the graphics and probably gameplay as well. That means a lot of wasted potential.

It will probably be an amazing game, that could have been even better. I was dumb enough to expect the kind of graphics that we saw in the trailer, but that's out of the question now obviously. So yeah, I'm just disappointed. And stupid.

CamHostage

Utter dogshit. The mere fact that developers have to even think about shitty tablet-level Jaguar cores from something like 2011 is going to hold next-gen games back.

Well, it could hold next-gen back, but it depends on the development process. Ideally, they'd just make the game they want to make and leave it up to the porting team to figure out how to get it to work on the old console.

In Horizon's case, this is a single-player game (whereas with Halo they really do have to think about past-gen while making next-gen since the multiplayer Co-Op and VS aspects require it to work on everything it releases on at the same time cross-gen,) so they can do whatever they want with the two versions. If they're actually building Forbidden West to be "scalable" all the way through to go down to PS4, then that's bad for PS5, but if it's two projects made for each spec (using Decima but not relying on techniques that are cross-plat when a specific solution would benefit next-gen and a different solution would need to be tacked in on past-gen) then each version could be what it needs to be.

It is weird that Sony bothered to announce Horizon this early, though (Sackboy and Spider-Man, not a big surprise that it's happening,) and it is a meme burn on their "We believe in generations" speech even though they are actually shipping some next-gen exclusives (3 of their 5 Launch Day games) at launch.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
Feels like next gen games got delayed until 2021. Yes, this nullified most of the praise I gave sony. But it's not as bad as Microsoft, we still getting tons of exclusives, ps5 versions looks good too. We getting gameplay.

But this has to be clear, This is really disappointing. No excuses sony. We wanted next gen only. There will be consequences to these decisions. I'm less excited for next gen, I'm not rushing for a ps5 at launch.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Azurro

Banned

Look at the financials, look at the FY reports, they make billions every year in revenue. I'm tired of childish console war that happens every day here. Stop trying to deny market realities, stop trying to find allies for your dumb narratives and grow up. Even when a business dominates a sector, it's mandated to keep on trying to grow the business. Sony I guess is just in the weird position where they have absolutely satured the console market.

I would like to have an adult conversation rather than with a child from kindergarten defending his favourite console.

Last edited:
Look at the financials, look at the FY reports, they make billions every year in revenue. I'm tired of childish console war that happens every day here. Stop trying to deny market realities, stop trying to find allies for your dumb narratives and grow up. Even when a business dominates a sector, it's mandated to keep on trying to grow the business. Sony I guess is just in the weird position where they have absolutely satured the console market.

I would like to have an adult conversation rather than with a child from kindergarten defending his favourite console.

I don't game on consoles. You can believe what you want to believe, I guess experience will always be the best teacher.

Azurro

Banned
People on pc LOVES souls games, it's gonna sell very good.

But, that's the thing, who gives a shit? Sony needs to establish the PS5 ecosystem really quickly, they shouldn't give up their competitive advantage for a million copies on Steam. That's a pitance compared to a piece of every single transaction from every single third party game sale and DLC.

I don't game on consoles. You can believe what you want to believe, I guess experience will always be the best teacher.

Ok child, somehow go to the last 5 fiscal year reports and show me how Sony doesn't dominate the console business. Since that is bs, go and enjoy your PC and let the adults speak, ok?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
But, that's the thing, who gives a shit? Sony needs to establish the PS5 ecosystem really quickly, they shouldn't give up their competitive advantage for a million copies on Steam. That's a pitance compared to a piece of every single transaction from every single third party game sale and DLC.
I don't know what to say, having a pc make me pretty impartial about this.
I guess they believe that people who like console gaming is not gonna pass to sex or pc just because demons is not an exclusive.
We are gonna see how this play out for them.

Last edited:

Ok child, somehow go to the last 5 fiscal year reports and show me how Sony doesn't dominate the console business. Since that is bs, go and enjoy your PC and let the adults speak, ok?

You are the one behaving like a child here. Companies that are dominating don't have to resort to selling their games on other platforms. Just ask Nintendo. But you won't even look at the evidence before you.

Azurro

Banned
I don't know what to say, having a pc make me pretty impartial about this.
I guess they believe that people who like console gaming is not gonna pass to sex or pc just because demons is not an exclusive.
We are gonna see how this play out for them.

Right now i'm just mad about horizon dude...

I'd really like to know their reasoning, it provides no benefit. Is it some misguided attempt to grow their market?

And for sure, I mean, visually Horizon so far looks great, but now I'm very skeptical and disheartened on what they were limited by since they have to make sure the game runs on shit Jaguar CPUs.

You are the one behaving like a child here. Companies that are dominating don't have to resort to selling their games on other platforms. Just ask Nintendo. But you won't even look at the evidence before you.

Adults speaking here. Go to your room.

EDIT: Ok, so, Demon's Souls IS NOT coming to PC. Now that makes way more sense. L lastmessiah see? As I told you, thinking like an adult makes you have more entertaining conversations rather than creating narratives.

Last edited:

Metnut

Sony guy here.

This absolutely means Horizon 2 is being held back (unless the PS4 port is complete crap).

It’s the same reason why Series X is bad for them gen.

Oh well, seems like both consoles are doing this crap (at least for now). Pick the ones with the games you like better.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Deflating that. So they're all going to.be held back by 1.4TF? Lets see how certain parts of GAF deal with this.

Furthermore, in order to continue to support the huge community of PlayStation®4 (PS4®) during the transition period of generations, we are working on the PS4 version of some SIE WWS titles in parallel. "Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales", "Libitz! "Big Adventure" and "Horizon Forbidden West" are made by taking advantage of the performance of PS5's ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense wireless controller, but we are preparing to enjoy it on PS4, and the PS5 version will be released.

Where have we heard this before? Oh yeah Xbox and the Sony Bros went on and on how horrible it was and castigated Phil for saying pretty much exactly this. Let me guess they will be cheering this Sony consumer-friendly policy

GymWolf

Gold Member
Maybe.They will end this mythology with Ragnarok and God of War 6 will be PS5 only with new mythology.
my only hope right now is horizon 3 at the end of the gen with 6-7 years of develpment and all the ssd\cpu fuckery that a dev team can concieve.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'd really like to know their reasoning, it provides no benefit. Is it some misguided attempt to grow their market?

And for sure, I mean, visually Horizon so far looks great, but now I'm very skeptical and disheartened on what they were limited by since they have to make sure the game runs on shit Jaguar CPUs.

Adults speaking here. Go to your room.

EDIT: Ok, so, Demon's Souls IS NOT coming to PC. Now that makes way more sense. L lastmessiah see? As I told you, thinking like an adult makes you have more entertaining conversations rather than creating narratives.
lol tell me about it...i was expecting great destruction provided by ryzen and instead i only had a jaguar clunged to my balls with his 1.8 teraclaws...

Last edited:
Top Bottom