• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC launches August 7

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Do you think we can hope for at least 16x anisotropic filter? Anisotropic on console is bleargh...

I want to say yes of course as that’s been standard in games for years but... the halo MCC is a great example of a very high profile pc game that totally dropped the ball on PC video settings.

What I saw of the video menu though it looks like they did a great job here. And even then, I’m sure there will be external files to tweak.

With that in mind every open world game has the same foundation, same for fps, rpg and every genre.

I think we are intelligent enough to see the abnormous differences between the 2 titles even if they are both open world games (literally the only thing they have in common).
This is false though because "open-world" isn't a genre. You can have an open-world RPG/FPS or what have you. Not that every game of a particular genre has the same foundation anyway.

I want to say yes of course as that’s been standard in games for years but... the halo MCC is a great example of a very high profile pc game that totally dropped the ball on PC video settings.

What I saw of the video menu though it looks like they did a great job here. And even then, I’m sure there will be external files to tweak.
343 are incompetent.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks great.

60 fps makes every 30 fps game look so much better. It can be the exact same res and textures, but silky smoothness works wonders..... unless someone is one of those gamers who says they can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60.

Casanova

Looks great.

60 fps makes every 30 fps game look so much better. It can be the exact same res and textures, but silky smoothness works wonders..... unless someone is one of those gamers who says they can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60.

People actually say they can't see a difference...? Maybe, biologically, some eyes can't really tell a difference - but c'mon. I'm personally super excited for this game. I've been waiting for the release on PC for a good while now.

ZywyPL

Banned
Are you drunk?

Are you? Or you need to have your eyes checked? Or you're just seeking attention? YT compression was a real thing 10-15 years ago when the service was launching, sure, but by bringing that up in 2020 you just basically make yourself a clown, today's YT vids are way better than enough to put them in fullscreen mode on a huge-ass TV, and this game particularly looks phenomenal, don't know where is the part YT "destroys it and makes look like crap" you're talking about. Or maybe it's not you but the crappy display you're using, I don't know.

GymWolf

This is false though because "open-world" isn't a genre. You can have an open-world RPG/FPS or what have you. Not that every game of a particular genre has the same foundation anyway.

343 are incompetent.
Dude you are the one who said that 2 completely different game have the same foundation just because they are open world even when i explained to you how much different they are.

I know very well that zelda is more of a open world adventure while horizon is more an open world action rpg.

Siri

Banned
I don’t own a console so this is essentially a brand new triple-A release for me. The price on Steam is great - but the price at the Epic store is phenomenal.

Also - what? The 30 FPS vs 60 FPS debate is still happening? It’s 2020. Not 2002.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I did? Into a Killzone trilogy collection, yes.

That's interesting since also according to Wikipedia Killzone ShadowFall outsold Bloodborne. It sold more than RDR did on PS3, from the sources I can see, you can tell me yours. Uh... yeah... why not? What's wrong with doing that?

This last comment is pure ridiculous speculation that hinges on future events you can't possibly know. If SALES were the sole indicator of what will get a PC port from PS4 then Horizon Zero Dawn would not be the first game ported over. The reason I jumped to Killzone instead of God of War or Resistance should have been obvious... it's the same devs, Guerilla Games, my assumption is HZD coming to PC has something to do with Guerilla and not Sony arbitrarily deciding THIS game gets ported because of its sales when other games sell more.

Your Wikipedia sources detail sales from the first 6 months of release. We have better data available. Check out gamstat, if you're unfamiliar on what it is, do some reading. It shows players rather than sales, but the same rules apply (what game is not selling but being played?), and both KZ:SF and BB have been available on PS+, so it's quite fair. Horizon: 20m. Bloodborne: 13.8m. Shadowfall: 7.4m. And as expect, KZ1 is severely underplayed, because it's gash.

I never once said sales were the sole indicator, but it's going to be a very big one if Sony decide to put more games on PC going forwards. So the decision to port Horizon, one of the best selling exclusives on PS4, is not even remotely an arbitrary decision from Sony. It's not up to Guerrilla whatsoever, or at least, they do not make the final call.

So no, it isn't "pure ridiculous speculation", it's called not having your head in the clouds. It's a very safe bet that we aren't getting Killzone on PC, because the decision is Sony's, and they know it isn't worth it when they have so many other potential ports available to them.

Last edited:
Dude you are the one who said that 2 completely different game have the same foundation just because they are open world even when i explained to you how much different they are.

I know very well that zelda is more of a open world adventure while horizon is more an open world action rpg.
Never said they have the same foundation because they are open-world games. I said they are very similar then you went "No dude, they are totally different!!" ignoring the similarities in favor of the differences.

I could, by all means, list the similarities, they'd probably go for about as long as the differences if not longer.

In simple terms, if you play these games subsequently, they might burn you out because of their length and almost identical structure. That's what I'm saying.

They are definitely very comparable. Doesn't mean they don't have differences.

Last edited:
Your Wikipedia sources detail sales from the first 6 months of release. We have better data available. Check out gamstat, if you're unfamiliar on what it is, do some reading. It shows players rather than sales, but the same rules apply (what game is not selling but being played?), and both KZ:SF and BB have been available on PS+, so it's quite fair. Horizon: 20m. Bloodborne: 13.8m. Shadowfall: 7.4m. And as expect, KZ1 is severely underplayed, because it's gash.

I never once said sales were the sole indicator, but it's going to be a very big one if Sony decide to put more games on PC going forwards. So the decision to port Horizon, one of the best selling exclusives on PS4, is not even remotely an arbitrary decision from Sony. It's not up to Guerrilla whatsoever, or at least, they do not make the final call.
I'd really like to see you support this argument regarding who decides what gets ported. By the way players versus sales is a goal post shift I'm also not sure what to make of data on the number of players on a PS2 game no one really liked

Mithos

What kind of up-scaling do you think they are using?
I saw resolution and render scale in the options settings in the video.

Last edited:

Elfstar

You know the first mod will get her naked, don't you?

images
With that face... i don't really care...

What kind of up-scaling do you think they are using?
I saw resolution and render scale in the options settings in the video.
Standard one that is available on every GPU. Say you're at 1080p, 200% upscaling will render at 4K and downsample to your 1080p screen. Will mostly get rid of jaggies and give a cleaner image. Won't look anything like native 4K or even checker-board 4K.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd really like to see you support this argument regarding who decides what gets ported. By the way players versus sales is a goal post shift I'm also not sure what to make of data on the number of players on a PS2 game no one really liked

What? Sony are the publishers, Guerrilla are the developers. They can't decide where it gets published, that's the whole fucking point of a publisher. That's why Guerrilla can't turn round to Microsoft and tell them they're ready to put Horizon on Xbox One. Of course it's Sony's decision. Why do you think Horizon on PC is such a big deal to folks?

Sure, it's not sales, but the best we had was the data from the first few months of release which does not rmotely paint a complete picture. How exactly do you think Bloodborne managed to get twice the amount of players that Shadowfall did..? Especially considering Shadowfall was on PS+ for 7 months longer? It sold a lot more in the long run. Word of mouth propelled Bloodborne to classic status and maybe the most revered PS4 title to date. Shadowfall is a wet fart that sold okay initially because there were no other exclusives to play when PS4 launched except Knack (and Resogun, I think).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because fuck pc players amiright?
The thinking is if a game is delayed on PC for years, it will make PC gamers buy a PS system because that Sony game is such a great pull, it'll make PC gamers buy a Playstation.

But if a game is released at the same time on PS and PC, every console gamer and PC gamers will gravitate to PC.

What? Sony are the publishers, Guerrilla are the developers. They can't decide where it gets published, that's the whole fucking point of a publisher. That's why Guerrilla can't turn round to Microsoft and tell them they're ready to put Horizon on Xbox One. Of course it's Sony's decision. Why do you think Horizon on PC is such a big deal to folks?

Sure, it's not sales, but the best we had was the data from the first few months of release which does not rmotely paint a complete picture. How exactly do you think Bloodborne managed to get twice the amount of players that Shadowfall did..? Especially considering Shadowfall was on PS+ for 7 months longer? It sold a lot more in the long run. Word of mouth propelled Bloodborne to classic status and maybe the most revered PS4 title to date. Shadowfall is a wet fart that sold okay initially because there were no other exclusives to play when PS4 launched except Knack (and Resogun, I think).

You might as well argue kojima productions had no say in death stranding going to PC because Sony was the publisher it's a bad argument because publishers and developers have to make arrangements with each other and make deals with each other. the average developer is going to want their game to get into the most hands they can the only reason they don't involves agreements with the publisher. Horizon zero Dawn coming to PC represents a shift in gorillas relationship with Sony. Whether it's a one-off or a sign of things to come it signals a higher likelihood of more guerilla games coming to PC than just more Sony games in general.

you make it sound like a game going free on PS plus means it stays that way forever and not just for the month. anyone who missed that month were killzone shadow Fall was on PS plus couldn't get it later so in other words bloodborne launched on PS plus with 7 months more install base and PS plus users. also the exclusive argument for why Shadow fall's sold well is a weird argument I would assume the majority of people buying a PS4 at launch were buying it as their main platform not as a secondary platform which means the multiplatform games have as much reason to be bought as the platform exclusives. Yearly call of duty sales prove this to be true.

GymWolf

Never said they have the same foundation because they are open-world games. I said they are very similar then you went "No dude, they are totally different!!" ignoring the similarities in favor of the differences.

I could, by all means, list the similarities, they'd probably go for about as long as the differences if not longer.

In simple terms, if you play these games subsequently, they might burn you out because of their length and almost identical structure. That's what I'm saying.

They are definitely very comparable. Doesn't mean they don't have differences.
i don't know man, i think they are pretty different but i get what you say.

Bit bummed that they apparently still use cube maps for reflections. This and the foliage not reacting are my biggest issues with the game, at least one got fixed.

This still looks like an amazing port, it doesn't look like a quick cash grab and I hope we PC gamers reward this properly... I won't buy at launch, though. Can't justify double dipping at 50€.

Last edited:

GymWolf

dafuq everyone of you have a great price and here in italy is 50 euros in both steam and epic store, exactly what i payed 3 years ago on console at launch :messenger_loudly_crying:

AV

You might as well argue kojima productions had no say in death stranding going to PC because Sony was the publisher it's a bad argument because publishers and developers have to make arrangements with each other and make deals with each other. the average developer is going to want their game to get into the most hands they can the only reason they don't involves agreements with the publisher. Horizon zero Dawn coming to PC represents a shift in gorillas relationship with Sony. Whether it's a one-off or a sign of things to come it signals a higher likelihood of more guerilla games coming to PC than just more Sony games in general.

you make it sound like a game going free on PS plus means it stays that way forever and not just for the month. anyone who missed that month were killzone shadow Fall was on PS plus couldn't get it later so in other words bloodborne launched on PS plus with 7 months more install base and PS plus users. also the exclusive argument for why Shadow fall's sold well is a weird argument I would assume the majority of people buying a PS4 at launch were buying it as their main platform not as a secondary platform which means the multiplatform games have as much reason to be bought as the platform exclusives. Yearly call of duty sales prove this to be true.

Again, you're just twisting what I say to fit you narrative. At no point did I say "they have no say", I said the final decision is Sony's. And Sony do not own Kojima Productions. Guerrilla were acquired by Sony way back in 2005. Horizon coming to PC doesn't signal shit about Guerrilla, they're under Sony's thumb, it signals that Sony want to test the waters with porting games to PC, hence Death Stranding is coming too, a game that has nothing to do with Guerrilla. They've specifically chosen newer games to port over and it's very likely that they designed these games with that possibility in mind.

I'm also not even going to entertain the flippant argument that Shadowfall would do significantly better given 7 months given that there were roughly 30m subs when it dropped and it managed to entertain not even a quarter of 'em. And Shadowfall being a launch game absolutely contributed to its sales, people who bought PS4s had a choice of, what, 17 total games to choose from? 3 of which were FPS?

You're clearly not interested in budging on this one and it's a huge waste of time at this point, it's like talking to a brick wall. Killzone is shit and it's not coming back. Get over it.

DeaDPo0L84

Derail? I was just posting my thoughts and noted the character design? You seem to be over reacting.

I had no idea this was a game developed by Guerrilla, I thought it looked a little like Killzone shadowfall graphically. And that's a good thing imo. I wonder if they are done with Killzone

Fuck off with this "I was posting my genuine thoughts, what did I do wrong?"

A trailer for a game that's been out for years comes out and you come in acting oblivious and you're first comment is "another game with a trans as a main character?"

Dumb ass.

Of course I'm getting it day one. Can't wait for DF to get their hands on it and do a PS4 comparison.
I look forward to hearing your impressions.

The thinking is if a game is delayed on PC for years, it will make PC gamers buy a PS system because that Sony game is such a great pull, it'll make PC gamers buy a Playstation.

But if a game is released at the same time on PS and PC, every console gamer and PC gamers will gravitate to PC.

Few things.

1) Not true. At all. While PC is the best place to play pretty much all games, and it's easy to look up PC gameplay on Youtube and think "I want that" But the majority of children don't want to take the time to learn how to build a PC. If one doesn't want to build a PC, then paying a premium for pre-built PC's is a solid $150 on top of the cost of parts.
2) Consoles have a cheaper initial investment cost of entry. I think overall PC gaming is cheaper in the long-run when you factor in the different marketplaces i.e. Steam, GOG, GMG, EGS, etc. but the very first thing people will notice is the price of entry. They'd see a $500 PS5 and think, "well, I could buy that and have another $200 or so for games and peripherals" or they could spend $700 on a stronger system than a PS5 but be left with only being able to play f2p games until they have money.
C) Even still, why do you care what platform people choose to play on? Pick your piece of plastic and stay in your lane, if your level of engagement and enjoyment is determined by what other people do, you are in for a rough future bud.
4) It'd be foolish for any platform holder Sony or otherwise to ignore that absolute juggernaut of a base that is PC gaming. They'd be essentially leaving free money on the table. And if Sony had to pick between hurting some fanboys feelings or money, I'd bet they'll go with the money and teach some of ya'll a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

Redefine07

Wonder if it will play good on 1080p with R5 3600 and RX570 4GB edition :/ and 16GB RAM. (need to upgrade my GPU but I wait for Navi 2 or Nvidia 3xxx)

Again, you're just twisting what I say to fit you narrative. At no point did I say "they have no say", I said the final decision is Sony's. And Sony do not own Kojima Productions. Guerrilla were acquired by Sony way back in 2005. Horizon coming to PC doesn't signal shit about Guerrilla, they're under Sony's thumb, it signals that Sony want to test the waters with porting games to PC, hence Death Stranding is coming too, a game that has nothing to do with Guerrilla. They've specifically chosen newer games to port over and it's very likely that they designed these games with that possibility in mind.

I'm also not even going to entertain the flippant argument that Shadowfall would do significantly better given 7 months given that there were roughly 30m subs when it dropped and it managed to entertain not even a quarter of 'em. And Shadowfall being a launch game absolutely contributed to its sales, people who bought PS4s had a choice of, what, 17 total games to choose from? 3 of which were FPS?

You're clearly not interested in budging on this one and it's a huge waste of time at this point, it's like talking to a brick wall. Killzone is shit and it's not coming back. Get over it.

Okay so now horizon zero Dawn is a newer game than Spider-Man or God of war. Also you go from saying death stranding is coming to PC because Sony doesn't own kajima productions to claiming it's coming to PC as part of some coordinated strategy by them to port new games. I feel like you need to make a choice between these two arguments as they are at crossways with each other.

also if the launch month is so important why is killzone 2 a bigger seller than killzone shadow Fall? Also your estimation of who is entertained by the game is flawed as it had a pretty dedicated multiplayer community.

If the crux of your argument is the game series isn't good and won't be coming to PC then yes there has been no point in arguing with you. Your points absolutely do not support this conclusion you have proposed. nothing you have posted even remotely touches a deficiency in quality in the franchise. You are strictly dancing around the idea of how publisher developer relationships work while trying to diminish the games sales by pointing out how many people a tracking site found playing it. Totally ignoring the fact that you can totally play it offline and not be tracked by such a website. Well let's say I go with your theories that what gets ported is based on a combination of factors including sales popularity and how recent it is how do you explain horizon zero Dawn getting ported before Spider-Man or God of war? I await well-reasoned rationale.

Silvawuff

Two interesting things hit me about this.... the first is they're charging $50. Big yikes. HZD is a great game and worth the money, but it seems steep to charge launch price years after its initial release. I feel like $40 would be a better price point. The second thing is it's hitting EGS and Steam. I'd be confident saying that Epic tried to moneyhat Guerrilla to be exclusive to them, and they told them nope. Props to them if this was the case.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
vSexekU.jpg

Some additional information :

-Supported controllers: Dualshock 4, Xbox One and Steam Controller.
-Keyboard/mouse support with all functions.
-Machine models and environment assets are the same as on the PS4 version.
-Maximum supported resolution: 4K native (for 8K it will be necessary to go through the mods).
-FOV adjustable to 100 degrees.
-Minimum configuration is for 1080p/30fps, recommended is for 1080p/60fps.
-Support for 32/9 (3840x1080p).
-No ray tracing.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I have a feeling Sony will port this version to PS5 but won't say anything until around October. Most likely being free for current owners of Horizon PS4.

TTOOLL

Are you? Or you need to have your eyes checked? Or you're just seeking attention? YT compression was a real thing 10-15 years ago when the service was launching, sure, but by bringing that up in 2020 you just basically make yourself a clown, today's YT vids are way better than enough to put them in fullscreen mode on a huge-ass TV, and this game particularly looks phenomenal, don't know where is the part YT "destroys it and makes look like crap" you're talking about. Or maybe it's not you but the crappy display you're using, I don't know.

Oh, so you do think YT 1080p videos are good quality.

And this is why PC is the best console. PC exclusives + Microsoft and Sony exclusives, with usually the best looking version of 3rd party games and mods. And you got Nintendo emulators for those wanting that.

Hopefully HD sells well on PC to keep those Sony exclusives coming...

I'm surprised by how cheap it is. I had to buy it. It's 93 reais in Brazil. Steam gave me a 10 reais discount. It cost me roughly 20 dollars.

Top Bottom