• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

dmshaposv

Im sure it will deliver in the combat area, but its the RPG and story areas Im worried. Everyone downplaying witcher 3 combat needs to realize that CD projekt Red has better writers, world building, RPG elements and missions structure after 3 games. This is GG's first crack at this stuff, before this they made the linear killzones' with bogshite terrible storytelling.

Wollan

I'm hoping for less human interactions.

More Bloodborne/Fallout/Elder-Scrolls uninterrupted gameplay than Witcher 3's (albeit excellently executed) bigger focus on people interaction.

Im sure it will deliver in the combat area, but its the RPG and story areas Im worried. Everyone downplaying witcher 3 combat needs to realize that CD projekt Red has better writers, world building, RPG elements and missions structure after 3 games. This is GG's first crack at this stuff, before this they made the linear killzones' with bogshite terrible storytelling.

They brought in outside help for help with the story and RPG elements.

The studio brought on developers from Bethesda (the lead writer for Horizon worked on Fallout: New Vegas, for instance) and CD Projekt Red (the studio behind the massive fantasy RPG series, The Witcher).

Source

Frillen

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get as hyped for Zelda given that I'm a huge fan of the series, and I think Horizon may be the reason why. This game sounds phenomenal.

So you can't be hyped for more than one title? Personally I can't wait for both titles, as they both look phenomenal.

Mikey Jr.

All these previews are describing systems and everything which is great.

But how does it play? Is it fun or not? Did they actually enjoy their time playing it. This is more important to me.

Xeteh

I totally agree.

I love Witcher 3 and granted I wasn't a fan of the combat, they made it a bit better but it was still not great. I'm also super stoked about Horizon but I'll hold off on assuming its Witcher with better combat because very few games can match the writing that it had. The quests too were really enjoyable, especially the Witcher contracts.

People thinking this will be on par with Witcher 3 will probably be in for a rude awakening or missed the point of W3 entirely.

Being an open world rpg does not automatically make you as good(see Fallout 4). With that said, it still looks fun and I'm hopeful

Alo0oy

Banned

While GG always had terrible writers (hopefully that changes with Horizon *crossing fingers*), they were always masters at world building, so even if the narrative sucks, there's very few devs I trust out there with world building more than GG.

Killzone is one of the most interesting FPS worlds ever, the narrative is just always dogshit.

Instro

But how does it play? Is it fun or not? Did they actually enjoy their time playing it. This is more important to me.

That's the crux of the issue for me. Game looks really appealing, but this is GG. I haven't enjoyed any of their games up to now, and several of them are outright bad, so it's hard to fully buy in at this stage just from what I've seen.

This game looks gorgeous and looks like tons of fun too. I just hope the writing and voice acting improves by final release, because hoo boy the dialogue has been not so great. Not so worried about the overall narrative in a broad sense, but the actual written lines have got to improve.

God daymn, I am hearing all the right things. This game looks amazing and I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I wonder if you can climb the Longnecks, I remember someone standing on one in the concept art.

That's the crux of the issue for me. Game looks really appealing, but this is GG. I haven't enjoyed any of their games up to now, and several of them are outright bad, so it's hard to fully buy in at this stage just from what I've seen.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/15/horizon-zero-dawn-hands-on-preview-robots-and-other-animals-5945371/
It’s all very impressive but we’re itching to get a go ourselves, and when we do, we find the controls and combat to be extremely intuitive and fun.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/her...izon-zero-dawn-now-weve-played-it-e3-2016-800
And having played it – albeit a made-for-E3-2016 slice of it, set apart from the main game but very much featuring elements that will appear in it – I can confirm that Guerrilla Games' Horizon is, quite categorically, not shite. I'd love to spill out an essay right here, right now explaining just how easily I could have spent my entire day on the game, if it wasn't for executive producer Lambert Wolterbeek Muller (what a name that is, what a name) tapping me on the shoulder to indicate that Other People needed a turn, too.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/horizon-zero-dawn-and-the-thrill-of-the-hunt/1100-6440905/
During a hands-on session that followed the demo, I got to try out some of Aloy's ranged and melee abilities in a sequence where I was challenged to complete a number of objectives. These included things like taking down a set number of watchers and overriding bigger creatures and then riding them to attack a group of other Machines. It was intense and challenging, in part because the enemies are quite intelligent, never staying in one place for too long and attacking from all sides. It's thrilling to be in a battle with these unique-looking beasts. And the numerous ways in which you can defeat them brings about an element of strategy that I was not expecting.

Sounds positive.

People thinking this will be on par with Witcher 3 will probably be in for a rude awakening or missed the point of W3 entirely.

Being an open world rpg does not automatically make you as good(see Fallout 4). With that said, it still looks fun and I'm hopeful

Anyone who thinks that is incredibly naive. Games like TW3 don't come along often. I doubt that GG's first forray into the RPG genre will come close in the areas that make TW3 special.

That being said this is looking to be an awesome game in it's own right! Combat looks more dynamic than any action RPG I've seen.

The1Ski

Looks incredible. Absolutely going to pay attention to this.

But...

Why/how are the human characters wearing leather and fur if all the animals are robots? Are there still living animals that I missed? Or is it human leather?

Game looks so good regardless of the human leather! ;-)

While GG always had terrible writers (hopefully that changes with Horizon *crossing fingers*), they were always masters at world building, so even if the narrative sucks, there's very few devs I trust out there with world building more than GG.

Killzone is one of the most interesting FPS worlds ever, the narrative is just always dogshit.

Yeah, to me the plot in Killzone games are meh, but I absolutely love the lore.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

But...

Why/how are the human characters wearing leather and fur if all the animals are robots? Are there still living animals that I missed? Or is it human leather?

IIRC, there are some animals running around in the lastest trailer.

Alo0oy

Banned

Everyone appreciates games for different reasons, and there is no wrong or right way to like a game, more gameplay focused people will prefer something like Horizon, while the more narrative focused people might prefer TW3.

RK9039

So true, I can't stand Shadowfall, it was pretty terrible.

Oh I can't freaking wait to see/play the Neo version. Gimmie this at 1080P 60fps and I'll be good for a long while lol.

I don't think that it'll run at 60fps on Neo, but you may get some candy improvements here and there (draw distance, fewer dips etc.).

you just know this game will be the poster child for Neo improvements too.

Why are people assuming that Neo will mean better graphics? My assumption is that Neo is necessary for VR (higher framerates and resolutions). For non-VR games, it's so much easier for devs to just bump the resolution than to support multiple versions of the game for multiple consoles.

It's The Witcher 3 with a good gameplay. Day One.

From what I've gathered, the only similarities between the two games is that they have open worlds. But other than that, they couldn't be more different. But I guess you had to get in that gameplay jab :p

But...

There were clearly plenty of live animals in the last demo.

Why are people assuming that Neo will mean better graphics?

Because Andrew House said Neo will produce prettier games. It doesn't get much more definitive than that.

The Pope

One thing that concerned me was that there was no dialogue option to say that you would leave the village alone. I really hope Guerrilla borrow heavily from TW3 quest structure. I hope the tribes work like the factions in F:NV. Please Guerrilla, this is your chance to become Naughty Dog, SSM tier. Even if it needs an extra year in the oven. Dont stuff it up.

Because Andrew House said Neo will produce prettier games. It doesn't get much more definitive than that.

Link? I guess I missed that bit of news.

I love Witcher 3 and granted I wasn't a fan of the combat, they made it a bit better but it was still not great. I'm also super stoked about Horizon but I'll hold off on assuming its Witcher with better combat because very few games can match the writing that it had. The quests too were really enjoyable, especially the Witcher contracts.

"Witcher with better combat" is literally just people wanting to shit on Witcher combat with no understanding of what actually makes that game great.

VanWinkle

But...

In the demo they played at the conference, I saw pigs, rabbits, and birds.

Why are people assuming that Neo will mean better graphics? My assumption is that Neo is necessary for VR (higher framerates and resolutions). For non-VR games, it's so much easier for devs to just bump the resolution than to support multiple versions of the game for multiple consoles.

From what I've gathered, the only similarities between the two games is that they have open worlds. But other than that, they couldn't be more different. But I guess you had to get in that gameplay jab :p

Couldn't be more different. Hmm...would love to hear your reasoning there.

One thing that concerned me was that there was no dialogue option to say that you would leave the village alone. I really hope Guerrilla borrow heavily from TW3 quest structure. I hope the tribes work like the factions in F:NV. Please Guerrilla, this is your chance to become Naughty Dog, SSM tier. Even if it needs an extra year in the oven. Dont stuff it up.

It's probably because, even though there are dialogue options, Aloy has a distinct personality. She feels like a very lawful good character, which I'm fine with.

Hazzuh

The combat and stuff looks amazing but my worry is that the game is going to have boring mission structure / sidequests etc. That's the reason I normally get burnt out on these kinds of games pretty quickly.

Top Bottom