• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Has anyone here ran into some type of ammo capacity glitch? Instead of properly displaying the capacity as, for example, 30/30, it's showing it as 1/29; when I use an arrow, it's 1/28 instead of 29/30. It's bugging me a bit lol

Spacebar

So I got a side quest called
Ancient Armory
. It says
gather power cells 0/2.
Does that mean I have already
found the first 3 power cells
?

Kaarle

Neo Member
Has anyone here ran into some type of ammo capacity glitch? Instead of properly displaying the capacity as, for example, 30/30, it's showing it as 1/29; when I use an arrow, it's 1/28 instead of 29/30. It's bugging me a bit lol

When Aloy puts an arrow on the bow it will subtract one so it will read as 1/29. When she puts two it's 2/28 and three 3/27 for example.

KZObsessed

That's because you unlocked double/triple shot. Number on left is how many arrows in your bow, right number is total arrows.

Stat!

So I got a side quest called
Ancient Armory
. It says
gather power cells 0/2.
Does that mean I have already
found the first 3 power cells
?

Short answer.
No, you haven't gathered any.

Longer, slightly more spoilers answer:.
You'll actually need 5 power cells in total. After you collect two, you need three more.

RDreamer

You have one arrow knocked and 29 in your bag. When you fire an arrow you have one knocked and 28 in your bag.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Well written? I find most of the dialogue very basic and video game, especially with Aloy constantly talking to herself.

Damn, where is a F O X S K I N ??? Looking for ages

So far, the writing has been excellent for a mainstream sci/fantasy...I personally prefer more enigmatic story-telling such as soulsbourne but absolutely no complaints on what they have for us here.

I haven't experimented with farming (fox) skins at all but I did get two just from executing at R2 attack on a couple of foxes that just ran across my path..

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
That's because you unlocked double/triple shot. Number on left is how many arrows in your bow, right number is total arrows.
Ahhhhh, so it's that's why! I did start noticing it around the time I unlocked the skill. I suppose it makes it easier for counting arrows.

Thanks to everyone else who responded!

Spacebar

Short answer.
No, you haven't gathered any.

Longer, slightly more spoilers answer:.
You'll actually need 5 power cells in total. After you collect two, you need three more.

Thanks, wanted to double check and make sure I didn't miss anything.

hydruxo

Holy shit just hit my first storm bird as I head to meridian. This thing is a beast , long range attacks , monsters you up close and has that drill attack which wipes you in one hit. After 10 mins of fighting I got it down to about 25 health then it just wiped me out .

Any tips ? I've got mostly blue weapons

Go to Meridian and buy purple outfits / Shadow Carja weapons from the vendor. Get some purple mods to put in them, and then go back and you'll wreck the Stormbird in no time.

Also, shoot off his chest gun and use the Ropecaster.

No the game is well written for the most part.
Explore more.

I find difficult to understand why people call good or bad writing in games, sometimes a single line is spoken and people are already jumping to conclusions and it doesn't matter what comes later, like a decision has been made.

I do recognize bad writing tho, or at least to my standards (Killzone Shadow Fall, Final Fantasy XV) but then some games I find good to really good or excellent and I read this "bad writing" from people so, I don't know.

The JT

Neo Member
Looking forward to finishing the main quest, only gotten to
where I need to find Olin.
I've currently level 39. Just having a blast roaming around killing enemies.

Kilau

I'm sure it's been said many times here, but the music in this game is so damn good.

I find myself stopping and just listening to whatever is playing.

I need to get the full soundtrack.

ty_hot

Started playing yday, amazing game. Graphics are awesome, game play is really well done. Cleared the first two corrupted zones and captured two bandit towns. Died lots of times again some machines. One mistake and suddenly there are 10 of them chasing you... But I started using the rope in close combat and the weapon that is good for long distance and it's easier now. I just dont know when to use the items yet.

protonion

10 hours in.

Finally an open world game done right. Everything is balanced perfectly. Nothing feels like a waste of time. And on top of that great story and visuals. They nailed everything. Combat, exploration, crafting...

I never expected this game from Guerilla who until Horizon made very pretty, good enough games. For me they are a God-tier developer now.

The camera is surprisingly solid in this game considering how fast paced the action is, however, one thing bothers me again and again.
When fighting Stormbirds or Glinthawks I have to push the camera down to the ground to be able to see the flying fuckers. Unfortunately the dense foliage often ends up blocking my view as a result.
There has to be a solution for that.

I find difficult to understand why people call good or bad writing in games, sometimes a single line is spoken and people are already jumping to conclusions and it doesn't matter what comes later, like a decision has been made.

I do recognize bad writing tho, or at least to my standards (Killzone Shadow Fall, Final Fantasy XV) but then some games I find good to really good or excellent and I read this "bad writing" from people so, I don't know.

When dialogue sounds natural, characters and their motivations seem realistic and show some depth, the story is paced adequately and has a coherent flow you have well written game.

Its easier to notice when a game has bad writing, though.

RocknRola

Yay, got my plat! :D

Was expecting a bit more of a challenge from the Hunting stuff, though it was fun at least. I actually forgot to destroy the dummies during the game hhe, that was my last trophy before getting the plat.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well got Platinum, my 175th!

Clocked in < 65 hours, enjoyed the game a lot
Took my time, didn't rush, even savored days off from the game to not get burned out by it

Well done Guerilla!
Also DAT after credit scene! *ZOMG!*

Gonna miss the world and this thread

By the way both Slings are fucking OP, use elemental mods on elemental sling of highest %
Blast pure Damage, Good Lord do those Stickys and Blast tear shit asunder

Back to WaifuWatch and Paragon

After mopping up all the miscellaneous trophies I could (I think I'm sitting at 79% completion, lawd), I decided to, you know, actually get on with the story from Meridian onwards. Consider me thoroughly, thoroughly intrigued, and Ashly Burch keeps outdoing herself. I have so many questions, and theories that are probably entirely wrong! I love how much intriguing non-essential world building the game offers. (I also stumbled on some data points that brought up terms I hadn't gotten up to in the main quest line at the time.) The voice work and timing in the audio logs/holo vids is much better than the cutscenes in the game itself, and they tend to have a better naturalistic dialogue flow.

The data logs are so goddamn good, too, and I again love the world building so much. The style of the data logs/points/whatever remind me tonally of Black Mirror quite a bit at times, which is incredibly refreshing for world building and exposition dumps in video games. There is a refreshing casual tone to the data logs, whether it be a news excerpt, a letter, an advertisement, etc. It was a clever choice. I love that they cover all elements of society - politics, relationships, body image, entertainment, health, etc. They're all a bit nihilistic, whilst also being unnerving, funny (sometimes full on black comedy), and in some cases, disturbingly quite probable in general. The human/machine/employment conflict is particularly relevant. I'm annoyed I'll never be able to find them all, as they don't show up on the map.

I was also pretty blargh on the thought of the collectibles at first, but alongside some clever enemy placement/combination and some fun platforming, the text that goes along with them has actually made them quite worth it for me. The story told via the Vantage points, holy fuck. It was genuinely engaging and nuanced. I had no idea there was text to be read at first, and was a bit confused by the out of context audio. I'm really glad I did read them.

RocknRola

Well got Platinum, my 175th!

Clocked in < 65 hours, enjoyed the game a lot
Took my time, didn't rush, even savored days off from the game to not get burned out by it

Well done Guerilla!
Also DAT after credit scene! *ZOMG!*

Gonna miss the world and this thread

By the way both Slings are fucking OP, use elemental mods on elemental sling of highest %
Blast pure Damage, Good Lord do those Stickys and Blast tear shit asunder

Back to WaifuWatch and Paragon

Iknowrigth!? I reeeaaaalllllyyyy wanna know what happens next! :p

Also the cool thing about having good lore and a great story is that they now can make either prequels or sequels with ease, since the basis for all of that was already shown/told in this first game. Brilliant work on that front IMO.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just reached daytower. did the errand there. now just gonna venture off to try find meridian.

i'm still having trouble upgrading my inventory spaces. i've ran out of room for traps/potions and mods.

Wollan

CccXZSt.gif
That's great. "Oof, taking down that Thunderjaw gave me a slight shoulder cramp."

B.O.O.M

So a question on a side quest/errand? that I did last night if anyone can answer. This one was just outside of Meridian. It involves some merchants

Near Meridian I had to pick two lenses for two merchants who kept fighting. Did anyone give the lenses to both? or just one? I gave it to one of them and they started fighting again lol

Woooooooow.

Just got to main quest part where
you go through the zero dawn facility
and read the data pad journal entry called
make your selection

This story has so much gravity to it. I'm absolutely loving the slow reveal of what's going on. I need to make a point to read more of the data pads I think

Small question about finishing the cauldrons:

when I finished my last cauldron, Aloy speaks aloud that its something called Hephestaus speeding up the production of aggressive machines, but the log I received was just the usual gibberish machine language. Is there a data thing I'm missing? 9 assume it'll be extrapolated on later but just in terms of how she knew that, it felt like I was missing something since it wasn't mentioned in the log I received.

hydruxo

So a question on a side quest/errand? that I did last night if anyone can answer. This one was just outside of Meridian. It involves some merchants

Near Meridian I had to pick two lenses for two merchants who kept fighting. Did anyone give the lenses to both? or just one? I gave it to one of them and they started fighting again lol

Yeah I gave it to both, can't remember what they said but they each gave me rewards and just kept arguing again also haha.

aristotle

Small question about finishing the cauldrons:

when I finished my last cauldron, Aloy speaks aloud that its something called Hephestaus speeding up the production of aggressive machines, but the log I received was just the usual gibberish machine language. Is there a data thing I'm missing? 9 assume it'll be extrapolated on later but just in terms of how she knew that, it felt like I was missing something since it wasn't mentioned in the log I received.

If you look at the code, that is actually in there. I wondered that myself until I realized it. I believe there is an extra bit of code/datapoint to read that is added to your list and it's in there.

Just started the game pretty much and the graphics are phenomenal. One thing I can't get over is how Aloy looks like the vampire from Salems Lot. It bothers the shit out of me. Every other model looks great but hers is off to me. I'm glad there's finally an open world RPG with great combat though

B.O.O.M

Yeah I gave it to both, can't remember what they said but they each gave me rewards and just kept arguing again also haha.

ooh so I wonder if there are three different outcomes to it depending on what you choose to do. But I definitely enjoyed it..simple errand/quest but funny.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So the main story is def getting better each quest. I have so much fun with this world man. Last time i had this much fun with an open world game was MGSV wich had a terrible story besides. GG did a great job

Hell yes! Thanks to reddit, we now have a map for all of the text datapoints found in the world! :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/5yda2p/compiling_all_datapoints/

Time to get to wandering before I finish the game since I completed everything else already.

Far west of the jungle, just before the desert and below a little waterfall there was this wooden boat or something, ruined, I've found a bunch of audios of Helis there, only one new, the others weren't marked as new on the notebook and I'm not sure if I have listened them before. They might be the same you find on the
Tallneck main quest.

Was going to make a gif from some footage I recorded of the Sigma Cauldron but decided to edit it together and make a quick short video instead. Quality is not so great as my pc can't handle editing 1080p footage too well so it's only 720p but here's the link nonetheless. :)

https://youtu.be/C0VRNhg3z5k

aristotle

Far west of the jungle, just before the desert and below a little waterfall there was this wooden boat or something, ruined, I've found a bunch of audios of Helis there, only one new, the others weren't marked as new on the notebook and I'm not sure if I have listened them before. They might be the same you find on the
Tallneck main quest.

I believe
those are from the quest where you need to infiltrate an Eclipse base and meet Hades. The "boat" is actually the bridge that blows up.
But I've been wrong before, so I'm not 100% sure since I just did that mission last night.

I believe
those are from the quest where you need to infiltrate an Eclipse base and meet Hades. The "boat" is actually the bridge that blows up.
But I've been wrong before, so I'm not 100% sure since I just did that mission last night.

Yeah, they're probably the same, I probably just forgot about the location.

Was going to make a gif from some footage I recorded of the Sigma Cauldron but decided to edit it together and make a quick short video instead. Quality is not so great as my pc can't handle editing 1080p footage too well so it's only 720p but here's the link nonetheless. :)

https://youtu.be/C0VRNhg3z5k

Gorgeous, the first Cauldron is so misterious when you first visit it.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Fucking invisible walls in this game are starting to get to me...

Thanks Zelda for spoiling open world games for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom