• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Wich invisible walls? I am 30+ hours in and never countered one. Got an example coz i really dont know :p

aristotle

Wich invisible walls? I am 30+ hours in and never countered one. Got an example coz i really dont know :p

They're hard to find for the most part. You have to actively try to go where there is no map or in some cases try to climb some mountain that isn't climbable. I've come across maybe 2 in my 70 hrs of playing.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

You basically have to be actively looking for them. I am 25hrs in and haven't found one (but haven't been trying to see "what is beyond the map" either).

Rien

Jelly Belly
Okay. I do have encountered a message of going out of play area when walking at the border. I assume that is considered an invisible wall?

Stiler

I've encountered some, but also instead of invisible walls they have a "Turn back now or we'll reload your game" when you go out of where they wanted you to stay.

One example of this is:
Al2MS0Z.jpg
Climb that and you'll get a "turn back or we'll reload your game" prompt.

Also near the ancient armory area, if you try to climb the hills near it you'll hit an invisible wall. Invisible walls happen a lot if you like to climb the mountains or make "shortcuts."

Okay. I do have encountered a message of going out of play area when walking at the border. I assume that is considered an invisible wall?

No, that is going out of the playable area. Invisible walls are more like trying to jump to a spot and hitting an invisible wall mid-air.

Fucking breakable weapons in Zelda are starting to get to me...

Thanks Horizon for spoiling open world games for me lol

Might as well count Horizon's strenghts, play Zelda and say that Horizon spoiled it for you. Same with any other game vs any other game.

ftfy

So there's a part of the game I'm at where somebody says "point of no return." For those who need to what I refer:

Is this an obvious sign from the game that this is the final mission?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Was trying to get back into mother place but gate is locked (need a power cell I missed), looks like you can just scale the wall to the left but area is surrounded by an invisible dome.

Been trying to get back in there since lvl 8 and I'm 21 now. Hoping at some point it lets you back in...

Might as well count Horizon's strenghts, play Zelda and say that Horizon spoiled it for you. Same with any other game vs any other game.

Yeah thats why I said open world games in general.

hesido

There has to be a limit to where players can go and one cannot put dust stormed inifinite deserts around the lush play area just to avoid invisible walls, I'm not sure how that problem can be solved without breaking the narrative or the game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I've encountered some, but also instead of invisible walls they have a "Turn back now or we'll reload your game" when you go out of where they wanted you to stay.

One example of this is:
Al2MS0Z.jpg
Climb that and you'll get a "turn back or we'll reload your game" prompt.

Also near the ancient armory area, if you try to climb the hills near it you'll hit an invisible wall. Invisible walls happen a lot if you like to climb the mountains or make "shortcuts."

Got the turn back thing to but there was a metal flower just beyond it, weird.. Got it without game sending me back though

Guys I need some assistance.

1. I can't beat Rockbreaker. I'm under leveled so I'll come back to him but I could only get about 40% health down and I was seriously getting low on resources. I must be missing how to fight it. Use rope, freeze, then just regular arrows.

2. Money is tight and I need a lot of it. What should I be selling from my inventory? At Meridian and only have Blue weapons and one green... Don't even have a war bow. Other income advice? I need to buy like 4 good weapons some outfits, that's life 5k, I have 500 shards.

Was trying to get back into mother place but gate is locked (need a power cell I missed), looks like you can just scale the wall to the left but area is surrounded by an invisible dome.

Been trying to get back in there since lvl 8 and I'm 21 now. Hoping at some point it lets you back in...

Yeah thats why I said open world games in general.

Yeah you'll be able to go back later.

I haven't played Zelda but I've seen a few things and I think Horizon would benefit from a glide mechanic. I actually tried this instinctively after watching Zelda footage right before buying Horizon.

Alternatively, climbing should be expanded upon. In an open world game, they don't have to worry too much about the player circumventing their level design, so I think more climbing freedom would benefit this game. At least, it'd help getting stuck in waist high areas with no climb holds.

mokeyjoe

1. I can't beat Rockbreaker. I'm under leveled so I'll come back to him but I could only get about 40% health down and I was seriously getting low on resources. I must be missing how to fight it. Use rope, freeze, then just regular arrows.

2. Money is tight and I need a lot of it. What should I be selling from my inventory? At Meridian and only have Blue weapons and one green... Don't even have a war bow. Other income advice? I need to buy like 4 good weapons some outfits, that's life 5k, I have 500 shards.

1. Run away from him and hide behind a rock shooting him at a distance. Aim for the feet with tear damage.

2. You can pretty much sell everything. It's easy to acquire again. Don't sell food and ammo stuff though.

1. I can't beat Rockbreaker. I'm under leveled so I'll come back to him but I could only get about 40% health down and I was seriously getting low on resources. I must be missing how to fight it. Use rope, freeze, then just regular arrows..

You want to blow his paws off with tearblast arrows and then he can't dig, much simpler after that. A bit of groundwork goes a long way too, especially in your low level, when I was fighting them at a low level I laid out a pretty extensive killzone of explosive trips before aggro so that they would come up through the ground underneath and lose half their health to kick things off. I haven't bothered with ice or rope ties where I would for other enemies, I usually finding just staying mobile and focusing on the claws then the back engine is enough. It's a much easier fight once you have some good mods in your bow and you can do good strong tear damage with the hard point arrows and score good damage at the same time.

Was going to make a gif from some footage I recorded of the Sigma Cauldron but decided to edit it together and make a quick short video instead. Quality is not so great as my pc can't handle editing 1080p footage too well so it's only 720p but here's the link nonetheless. :)

https://youtu.be/C0VRNhg3z5k

Man this is amazing. Captured my feelings perfectly.

On that note, I had no idea I was headed into a boss fight with Bellowback and a bunch of Watchers, and I'm playing on hard difficulty. I had only 2 potions, 5 Tear arrows, 15 Precision arrows, and some good Tripcaster ammo. No Freeze ammo which works wonders on Bellowbacks. And I couldn't use Tripcaster because the fight was in such a small crowded area, and I did not prepare at all for the fight. Dumb on my part, but I fucking took down everyone with 80hp remaining on my first try.

I have 4,000 metal shards and I'm swimming in Sparkers and Chillwater, but for some reason I keep running out of Wires and Blaze.

Also the inventory system is obnoxious with how small the stacks are.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Got the turn back thing to but there was a metal flower just beyond it, weird.. Got it without game sending me back though

The most obvious one I find the one at the grave-hoard, where there's literally a lit, paved path on top of the entry you can reach by climbing the metal devil and jumping down - but if you follow the path it warns you to turn around :( THERE'S A PATH I WANT TO FOLLOW IT

I have 4,000 metal shards and I'm swimming in Sparkers and Chillwater, but for some reason I keep running out of Wires and Blaze.

It pissed me off so much that I could not buy wires in bulk. I expect a quality of life patch for this and for it to be changed if there is a Horizon 2.

By the end of the game my inventory was at 90/100 because the repeating stacks of sparkers, chillwater, wood, and other resources.

ActWan

I found a lot of "turn back now" areas in the east side of the map, but I found one which said "you can't visit this area yet" and that intrigued me...it was in a dense forest near the
Banuk village
to the east. Probably something to do with the story.

It pissed me off so much that I could not buy wires in bulk. I expect a quality of life patch for this and for it to be changed if there is a Horizon 2.

By the end of the game my inventory was at 90/100 because the repeating stacks of sparkers, chillwater, wood, and other resources.

Yes not being able to buy wire or echo shells in quantity is the bane of my life haha

I'm not familiar with GG's track record, but minor stuff like that doesn't bother me too much in today's post-launch patch enevironment.

offtopic

Beat one yesterday at level 21 on Hard but it took quite a number of tries. I tried traps, ropes, sling bombs and various arrows. Ropes seemed to have really minimal impact in terms of keeping it from burrowing. I eventually just killed it with hardpoints (tear) from a Shadow Hunter Bow. I ran away like a maniac when it burrowed with camera pointing behind me so I could see it coming. Only stopped to fire if it stopped. A friend of mine had good luck actually stealthing and going real quiet when it was underground (which I never tried) but not sure what difficulty he is playing on.

Where was the first place folks came across rock breakers? Mine was
the corrupted zone north of Meridian with the two of us.
The amount fear I had when I saw them lol

Beat one yesterday at level 21 on Hard but it took quite a number of tries. I tried traps, ropes, sling bombs and various arrows. Ropes seemed to have really minimal impact in terms of keeping it from burrowing. I eventually just killed it with hardpoints (tear) from a Shadow Hunter Bow. I ran away like a maniac when it burrowed with camera pointing behind me so I could see it coming. Only stopped to fire if it stopped. A friend of mine had good luck actually stealthing and going real quiet when it was underground (which I never tried) but not sure what difficulty he is playing on.
I can tear it's components so it can't burrow pretty easily but it just absorbs my hits after that. Even after freeze my hits only do 50 dmg to its belly.

eizarus

Banned

Sell anything that says, "sell to merchant for shards" only. If it says "trade with merchant" then that means an item you can buy requires it as a component (sounds obvious but I only realised today so....).

Go out hunting, and do the Hunter Trials thing. You get reward boxes with plenty of shards and resources that can be sold.

I can tear it's components so it can't burrow pretty easily but it just absorbs my hits after that. Even after freeze my hits only do 50 dmg to its belly.

Did you try aiming for the glowing engine thing on it's back? I haven't actually blew one with the green belly part like other machines yet. Might be your just too weak. What about the trip explosive tactic I mentioned?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still having a blast with this game. Mostly exploring and doing sidequests but starting to chip away at story missions before I get too overleveled. I'm at 27 and story quests any 15-16. Game completion at 46.15%. Working on the graveyard story mission now after finishing up the story quests with Erand.

offtopic

Did you explode those canisters? on both undersides of the belly? They do a lot of damage but don't be close when they go off. My friend just texted me and said he killed it 'tremors style' with stealth and then planting mines followed by throwing a rock over where the mines were so it would surface...lol...love that.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

When I finished had 65,000 Shards
800 Wires
450+ of each elemental resource, all other stuff 200+ that were used for crafting ammo/potions

Kin5290

Freeze it, then triple shot with hardpoint or tear arrows.

Also there's a weakpoint on its back that is basically impossible to miss when it dives.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This game is amazing. I just love wandering around and getting lost and don't even mind ignoring the quests haha. Haven't gotten to M
eridian
yet and I must have like 16 hours in.

Tried to take down a
Stormbird and a Thunderjaw
but nope... get killed too fast, do too little damage even to their weakpoints, and even
taking the disc launcher from the Thunderjaw
didn't help enough. I should probably buy a ropecaster at some point... >_>

I have world-building question (not really a spoiler but tagging just in case):
are there ever going to be horses, cats, and dogs? Maybe in Meridian? I find it weird that such common animals are absent. I also want to see a bit more wildlife variety. Where are the wolves, bears, deers, coyotes?

aristotle

Still having a blast with this game. Mostly exploring and doing sidequests but starting to chip away at story missions before I get too overleveled. I'm at 27 and story quests any 15-16. Game completion at 46.15%. Working on the graveyard story mission now after finishing up the story quests with Erand.

Levels don't matter. Feel free to be overleveled. Gear is so much more important than levels. Levels just determine how much health you have and since you only get 10 HP per level, it still isn't much.

Midas

You're also the person who filled vaults and 3 characters with Spinmetal. I'm not surprised in the least.

Haha, that's amazing.

So, I just
was at the top of some high building and got the story on the machines and how they went rogue and Elisabet talked about Zero Dawn
, how much would you guys say that I have left of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom