• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just want to make the point that I hope they take the time to do like full facial capture animation or whatever it is they need to do next time to make the characters look better during the conversations, which is when most of the story is delivered:

nFRNP6ll.jpg

As impressive as the game looks in the environment, the character animations just stand out as if they came from a different game.

I have world-building question (not really a spoiler but tagging just in case):
are there ever going to be horses, cats, and dogs? Maybe in Meridian? I find it weird that such common animals are absent. I also want to see a bit more wildlife variety. Where are the wolves, bears, deers, coyotes?

nope, just turkeys, rats, foxes, geese, boar and rabbits i think

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You're also the person who filled vaults and 3 characters with Spinmetal. I'm not surprised in the least.

Resource Management bruh!

I got my bag to 100 ASAP
Then figured Wires were gonna get used real early in game due to Ropecaster

I just know I went in prepared, every fight I had resources galore

For the sequel they need to give the tripcaster the ability to create your own tight ropes. It would add another level of planning you attacks if you could set it between a set of trees and balance off it to take aim from above.

I just want to make the point that I hope they take the time to do like full facial capture animation or whatever it is they need to do next time to make the characters look better during the conversations, which is when most of the story is delivered:

nFRNP6ll.jpg

As impressive as the game looks in the environment, the character animations just stand out as if they came from a different game.

The dialog scenes are hilariously bad. Like, excruciatingly so. Characters move their heads unnaturally, look in random directions for no reason, and it's exacerbated by the random pop in during each scene. And it sucks because the opening scenes are actually good.

Great game, didn't do any side activities outside the initial few ones and thought I may be under leveled for the final battle (lv 25) but got it done

I have world-building question (not really a spoiler but tagging just in case):
are there ever going to be horses, cats, and dogs? Maybe in Meridian? I find it weird that such common animals are absent. I also want to see a bit more wildlife variety. Where are the wolves, bears, deers, coyotes?
It actually is explained later in the story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I think I've bought all the weapons and outfits I will need, does that mean I can safely sell all lenses and hearts? And if I don't expect to upgrade capacity any more, can I sell all skins/bones.?

I currently have
Outfits : silent hunter medium, banuk ice medium, sparkwork heavy, blazon heavy, protector heavy
Weapons : shadow sharpshot, shadow war bow (freeze), carja warbow (shock), shadow hunter bow 1 (fire), shadow hunter bow 2 (tear or damage)

Purely for convenience I could get one more hunter bow so I can easily switch between tear/fire/damage new perhaps upgrade my stealth and ice outfits to heavy for one more slot

ActWan

nFRNP6ll.jpg

I get you lol, it's pretty jarring.
Especially the lip movement and the lip syncing (which doesn't exist sometimes), plus sometimes the vocal lines are in really low volume all of a sudden....and these weird "cuts" too.

Small question about finishing the cauldrons:

when I finished my last cauldron, Aloy speaks aloud that its something called Hephestaus speeding up the production of aggressive machines, but the log I received was just the usual gibberish machine language. Is there a data thing I'm missing? 9 assume it'll be extrapolated on later but just in terms of how she knew that, it felt like I was missing something since it wasn't mentioned in the log I received.

Part of main story, the assumption was that you probably progressed enough in the story to understand the meaning behind that statement. That's literally the only time I felt they had a timing issue storywise, as the same thing happened to me. It's not a huge spoiler, and it's meaningless without extra info to fill in the void. In the grand scheme of Aloy's individual story, you won't deal with this part too much. It's kind of just a reference for now...

Major Spoilers:
Hephestaus is an AI that was part of GAIA (think of this as the main AI controlling several other AI responsible for repopulating Earth after the Faro Plague turned it into a lifeless rock). Anyways, this specific AI is responsible for building the robots necessary for GAIA to terraform the Earth back into a place suitable for life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I get you lol, it's pretty jarring.
Especially the lip movement and the lip syncing (which doesn't exist sometimes), plus sometimes the vocal lines are in really low volume all of a sudden....and these weird "cuts" too.

I wonder if they outsourced the animations to different companies. I just did a side quest to capture prisoners and the lip sync on the character at the end was perfect. Yet on others it can be like talking to a ventriloquist dummy

Loudninja

I wonder if they outsourced the animations to different companies. I just did a side quest to capture prisoners and the lip sync on the character at the end was perfect. Yet on others it can be like talking to a ventriloquist dummy
Or it could be result of interactive after dialogue with alot of characters in an big open world game.

For the sequel they need to give the tripcaster the ability to create your own tight ropes. It would add another level of planning you attacks if you could set it between a set of trees and balance off it to take aim from above.
I thought of this too.

In fact, this game would benefit from ditching the pre-planned climbing routes altogether and replacing it with a climbing system were you craft climbing gear with the risk of failure (although recoverable). That'd make mountain climbing more interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I think I've bought all the weapons and outfits I will need, does that mean I can safely sell all lenses and hearts? And if I don't expect to upgrade capacity any more, can I sell all skins/bones.?

I currently have
Outfits : silent hunter medium, banuk ice medium, sparkwork heavy, blazon heavy, protector heavy
Weapons : shadow sharpshot, shadow war bow (freeze), carja warbow (shock), shadow hunter bow 1 (fire), shadow hunter bow 2 (tear or damage)

Purely for convenience I could get one more hunter bow so I can easily switch between tear/fire/damage new perhaps upgrade my stealth and ice outfits to heavy for one more slot
You'll need some of the other weapons if you're at all interested in doing all the hunter trials for the trophy. Armor-wise, you don't need the others if you don't use them - particularly after you get the shield armor.

Or it could be result of interactive after dialogue with alot of characters in an big open world game.
I mean, I can understand not worrying about the shop keepers and the hunter trial guys, but I feel like they should have put work into any sidequest givers and of course, the major story characters.

cauldron XI
was a cool little mix up I didn't expect humans actually cultivating a cauldron

it's too bad it involved actually fighting against humans for the majority of it, that made it such a drag

DryvBy

I like this game and all, but it's got some awful camera issues and a few annoying glitches. I've been stuck in invisible walls about 3 times now. But this camera is just really bad.

They probably ran out of time. Shit is hard.

I mean, look at how Mass effect Andromeda's turn out. They had so many convos that the quality is a step below Horizon's...

And Dragon Age Inquisition.

krae_man

I currently have

There's a merchant that sells dino parts you can always just buy parts you need if you decide you want something that requires it.

Wish there was a merchant that sold animal parts, I hunted for an hour for a rabbit bone to upgrade my weapon carrying capacity since I completed all the hunter trials and had no room for the weapons you get.

Every time I decide I'll do a story mission, I come across more side stuff and go do that.

Follow me

Okay... Ooh a corrupted zone, okay back on track...Ooh a bandit camp, repeat.

Skux

Fighting Thunderjaws is an absolute blast. It's David vs Goliath but it never feels like an unfair fight thanks to the enemy design and well telegraphed attacks.

Rockbreakers on the other hand piss me off right now. I always seem to get hit when they emerge and never get a big enough window to hit them.

Asd202

Is there some kind of resource stash or is there a way to get it higher than 100? If not can someone tell me are hearts useful or lens useful after you use them to get weapon or armor?

Fighting Thunderjaws is an absolute blast. It's David vs Goliath but it never feels like an unfair fight thanks to the enemy design and well telegraphed attacks.

Rockbreakers on the other hand piss me off right now. I always seem to get hit when they emerge and never get a big enough window to hit them.

Just gotta time your concentration and make the most of it man. Set up a tripwire killzone for them to emerge into too!

I would agree mostly except for that one that
they make you fight in that tiny Cauldron arena. Though that can mostly be mitigated with proper trap preparation

Asked earlier, but didnt get an answer:
To get 100%:
-are there a total of 21 or 22 side quests? i have 21 now
-how or where do i get all Shadow Outfits?

Overall are this good stats for the Shadow Hunter Bow

Three Mods

+46% Handling
+19% Tear
+11%Freeze

+42% Tear
+6% Damage

+43% Tear
+6% Damage

Handling 116

Hard Point Arrows 158 Tear

Its my most use weapon and i wanna make it the best possible

Wish i could find a mod that has High Tear and Handling

LiK

This was GG's first game of this type and they did a better job than other devs that have been making these for years. Some awkward dialogue scenes ain't a big deal to me. I'm sure they'll refine it for a sequel. I bet Kojima's game will teach them more about what they can do with this engine.

gdt

Great game, didn't do any side activities outside the initial few ones and thought I may be under leveled for the final battle (lv 25) but got it done

Some of the side missions have pretty serious story implications. They were great imo. I never get why people skip this stuff?

This was GG's first game of this type and they did a better job than other devs that have been making these for years. Some awkward dialogue scenes ain't a big deal to me. I'm sure they'll refine it for a sequel. I bet Kojima's game will teach them more about what they can do with this engine.

I always expected this game to come out well, but they really killed it. This is an easy GOTY contender. It feels like it hits that full potential that open-world Ubisoft games never quite do.

I think that not having more Ruins was kinda of missed opportunity. I really liked exploring them with that uneasy and suspensed/excited feeling of not knowing what you might find from the old world.
They could have used it as a platform for telling more stories from different ppl's point of view from the old world. Maybe some hologram tapes of how the old world civilization reacted before and after the events.

Asked earlier, but didnt get an answer:
To get 100%:
-are there a total of 21 or 22 side quests? i have 21 now
-how or where do i get all Shadow Outfits?

22. You're probably missing the one I also missed, '
An acquired Taste
'.

You can buy them from any Meridian or western merchant after beating the
Sunfall
main story mission.

LiK

I always expected this game to come out well, but they really killed it. This is an easy GOTY contender. It feels like it hits that full potential that open-world Ubisoft games never quite do.

Yup, Ubi should play this and see how it's done. An open world game with a coherent emotional story? It can be done!

gow3isben

Horizon Zero Dawn's sequel will come out before Death Stranding.

gdt

Quick question about game length. I did all available side quests, all zones and camps, all collectibles and hunts. Only the main quest left now.

So, I just finished the
Nora village attack/Gaia info dump and I'm just chatting up the Nora right now
. How much is left? I ask because I'd like to finish the game today for snow and hotel related reason.

Quick question about game length. I did all available side quests, all zones and camps, all collectibles and hunts. Only the main quest left now.

So, I just finished the
. How much is left? I ask because I'd like to finish the game today for snow and hotel related reason.

Two more main missions, go for it.

So, I just finished the

Two hours left at the most.

Ok, I screwed up.
On the "Death From the Skies" quest, I was able to override that big sack-carrying bot to distract the Stormbird while I turned off the devices. I thought that was all you had to do. Turns out I was suppose to kill the Stormbird? I went back and now its gone. Do I have to reload the checkpoint and do it again or can I just go to the Stormbird site?

GlamFM

Banned
Overall are this good stats for the Shadow Hunter Bow

Three Mods

+46% Handling
+19% Tear
+11%Freeze

+42% Tear
+6% Damage

+43% Tear
+6% Damage

Handling 116

Hard Point Arrows 158 Tear

Its my most use weapon and i wanna make it the best possible

Wish i could find a mod that has High Tear and Handling

I went for Damage an Fire first and foremost. A little tear.

My Sniper was full on tear though.

Ok, I screwed up.
On the "Death From the Skies" quest, I was able to override that big sack-carrying bot to distract the Stormbird while I turned off the devices. I thought that was all you had to do. Turns out I was suppose to kill the Stormbird? I went back and now its gone. Do I have to reload the checkpoint and do it again or can I just go to the Stormbird site?
You don't have to kill it, I didn't... if you're quest didn't update that's a glitch so just reload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom