• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

Zolo

Can someone clarify why the GOP senator was saying that the next repeal bill can't use reconciliation and need 60 votes? If that's the case, and McCain suckered McConnell into holding the vote, he will die with my eternal gratitude, regardless of the thousands of other votes of his I disagreed with.

I'm assuming they're moving onto Tax reform now.

What makes you think McConnell wouldn't have called off voting on the bill and hope to wait out McCain's cancer? He held the SC seat for the slim chance of Trump winning and it worked out for him before.

Can someone clarify why the GOP senator was saying that the next repeal bill can't use reconciliation and need 60 votes? If that's the case, and McCain suckered McConnell into holding the vote, he will die with my eternal gratitude, regardless of the thousands of other votes of his I disagreed with.
You can only use budget reconciliation once a year

faisal233

You can only use budget reconciliation once a year

Ok, makes sense.

I'm glad McCain decided to come back to the Senate to kill repeal for good (for this year) when the majority of us would have stayed home after finding out we have terminal cancer with less than a year to live. I'm sure the turtle was already working on a plan to get a pliable replacement for McCain appointed by the governor if he died or resigned.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/890807095024603137/video/1

Watching McConnell's smug grin getting wiped off his face when McCain came down for the vote was worth staying up for.

Steel

Banned
Ok, makes sense.

I'm glad McCain decided to come back to the Senate to kill repeal for good (for this year) when the majority of us would have stayed home after finding out we have terminal cancer with less than a year to live.

Watching McConnell's smug grin getting wiped off his face when McCain came down for the vote was worth staying up for.

Well, if he had stayed at home it still would have been a no vote. Nonetheless this has a lot more impact.

McCain actually voted against it?

Yeah.

faisal233

Well, if he had stayed at home it still would have been a no vote. Nonetheless this has a lot more impact.

Yeah.

Yes, but would it have gone to a vote? McConnell might have just withdrawn the bill if he thought he didn't have the votes and hoped that cancer took care of McCain.

McCain actually voted against it?
Big time. With swagger and a fuck you to Mitch and Trump:

Nfs8LeK.gif

Remember when he said changing the voting rules for Supreme Court justices was the death of democracy and then voted for it and also voted for the judge

But yes, it's important to push this lie that process is why he does things
Even his vote there makes sense in context - he argued democrats were taking advantage of senate rules, and thus the last resort was to end the filibuster. Creature of the senate, slave of ORDER.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going to lionize any Republican tonight, lionize Murkowski.

When McCain was getting handjobs for being convinced to vote no, she was sticking to her guns while a bunch of senators surrounded and tried to bully her into changing her vote.

Politically, the 51st no is seen as way more risky and a much bigger deal than a consistant 50th no. Who knows what Murkowski would do if McCain was replaced by a democrat instead, but we know what McCain would do if Murkouski was replaced by a democrat.

Six dimensional chess theory warning:

Most of the GOP knew their Obamacare repeals were politically bad. But they spent the last few months playing hot potato, because being known as the one who killed Obamacare repeal would kill you with the base.

So why not stage some quality political theatre that ultimately places the blame on a senator in his last term, and with a reputation for being a maverick?

Why do people still insist as seeing Trump and the GoP as brilliant Machiavellian schemers when this past year has proved that they are anything but?

IrishNinja

You're a loser every night Ted.

amen

I'd like to believe that voting to not take away the insurance of 16M+ people is not heroism but basic human decency, and McCain is absolutely part of the reason this even came to within a single vote of happenning...

But he, Collins, and Murkowski nonetheless did the right thing tonight. Kudos to them for that.

This way sent a strong message though, better than not showing up I suppose.

To be fair, McCain also had a bunch of people around him trying to convince him, including the VP. I don't see why people can't give credit where credit is due. He killed this bill. Point blank. You don't have to like him (I don't), but at least know when a good thing is done.

just wanted to post back & say i agree with y'all here

Ishan

To be fair, McCain also had a bunch of people around him trying to convince him, including the VP. I don't see why people can't give credit where credit is due. He killed this bill. Point blank. You don't have to like him (I don't), but at least know when a good thing is done.

this guy did right . even the devil is due his credit when due. Ppl forget that.

edit obs not saying mcain is the devil etc ... but no own up man up give credit where its due.

Why do people still insist as seeing Trump and the GoP as brilliant Machiavellian schemers when this past year has proved that they are anything but?

I meant it half in jest. But McConnel, while not as good as his reputation, is a pretty decent political operator.

All I know is that if I'm a Republican strategist looking at this from 10,000 feet I'm pretty happy with how tonight turned out. The party isn't burdened with a 15% approval rating health care bill, isn't blamed for everything that goes wrong in health care going forward. The party won't face a revolt of the base, or a ton of futile tea party primary challenges, because the senator who spectacularly stabbed Republicans in the back isn't running for re-election. If you don't actually care about Obamacare repeal it's close to ideal.

Of course, it's close to ideal for Democrats, too. And sick people.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Six dimensional chess theory warning:

Most of the GOP knew their Obamacare repeals were politically bad. But they spent the last few months playing hot potato, because being known as the one who killed Obamacare repeal would kill you with the base.

So why not stage some quality political theatre that ultimately places the blame on a senator in his last term, and with a reputation for being a maverick?

If so, McConnell deserves an oscar for his pretending to fight back the tears throughout his final speech and the other procedural stuff to end the night.

Beartruck

Left a comment on McCain's website thanking him for his no vote and I encourage others to do the same. Let him know he did the right thing.

People do remember that McCain voted yes for the worst version of the GOP of the bills right?

Like if he had his way they'd have taken healthcare from 20-30+ millions.

Great that he didn't just want to skinny repeal but some are acting like he took a stand for Americans or some shit.

Tovarisc

People do remember that McCain voted yes for the worst version of the GOP of the bills right?

Like if he had his way they'd have taken healthcare from 20-30+ millions.

Great that he didn't just want to skinny repeal but some are acting like he took a stand for Americans or some shit.

Well... didn't he? By your logic he can't do right thing ever anymore which is fucked up logic.

Seeing and saying he did right thing here doesn't wipe out his past voting record, but also doesn't remove the fact he did right there here and now.

Yeah.

Big time. With swagger and a fuck you to Mitch and Trump:
Well damn. Big props to him. I thought he was going to go to vote yes. But this is awesome. Maybe getting sick actually changed his mind on the subject.

Edit: I really don't care if it was for a good reason or not to himself. In the end it was a vote for no.

nomster

If McCain's time truly is short it will be interesting to see who AZ Gov Ducey is considering for appointment, as he must have advised McCain against voting for this yesterday.

Linkura

Ok, makes sense.

I'm glad McCain decided to come back to the Senate to kill repeal for good (for this year) when the majority of us would have stayed home after finding out we have terminal cancer with less than a year to live. I'm sure the turtle was already working on a plan to get a pliable replacement for McCain appointed by the governor if he died or resigned.

I'm confused though. Why the fuck do they say Mr. Peters and not Mr. McCain?

TyrantII

I'm assuming they're moving onto Tax reform now.

They can't do what they wanted to do with tax reform unless they got the revenue savings from this "healthcare bill".

Since tax/appropriation won't be revenue neutral now, they'll need 60 votes.

kingslunk

Not that I would dislike single payer, but let's not kid ourselves, it would take a lot more than that. It would take substantial tax increases across the board, and the movement of military money (which I'm cool with).

Healthcare is expensive, and reform is complicated.

Healthcare shouldnt be expensive.

Is reform really complicated or are politicians making it complicated? Quit allowing hospitals and facilities to overcharge for medicine, equipment use etc. Then start cutting insurance companies pull on keeping everything extremely expensive. You lower the cost like it should be and you'll be fine being able to afford a good single payer system.

What a joke it's not complicated.

I'm confused though. Why the fuck do they say Mr. Peters and not Mr. McCain?
McCain missed his call to vote and then came back to vote out of order, which is within his right to do so. The audible "no" was from Peters. McCain was quiet but demonstrative with a thumbs down.

Elandyll

Banned
McCain is the Ash (from Evil Dead) of the Senate.

Allows Evil to go through on Monday by sumoning it Klathu Verata *Cough* *Cough*, but after everybody doubts him, he still comes through in the end to fight it.

What a week.

Binabik15

Damn, reading this thread during my morning commute and the lead up was intense. Shortly before I caught up it exploded...and I had to stop and work. Quite a suspensful day.

I'm happy for all sane Americans.

mclem

DEMS MIGHT HAVE A LEGIT FLIP IF MCCAIN INTO A MODERATE DEM???

Not that I in anyway expect this to happen, but I recall discussion about McCain's condition commenting that, if he did stand down, there was a requirement for the Governor to appoint a replacement that matches his party.

Would that be the party he currently identified as, or the party he got elected as?

Top Bottom