• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Americans Order Their Steak (Rare 2.5%, Well Done 11.7%)

andycapps

How I order it depends on the quality of the restaurant and the steak itself. If it's a high quality steak and restaurant I'm going medium-rare. If it's Longhorn, I'm probably going medium.

MIMIC

Banned
It's insulting if it's a good cut of meat to cook it into shoe leather. In a way it's like taking high quality expensive food and taking it and dumping it into a garbage can. They really should just eat something else, because they are ruining the meat and it's wasteful.

This is ridiculous. Insulting to who?? The chef? The cow?

It's so bizarre that people can be so obsessed with another person's food preferences.

andymcc

Banned
Over the years I've settled into having mine medium.

That said, one of the best steaks I've ever had was medium-well (cooked perfectly) with a shell of char on the outside. The restaurant called it the "Bourbon Street Sirloin."

Applebee's? Joke post?

cress2000

Well done should really be renamed overdone. I can see "well done" registering psychologically as a synonym for "perfect!" or "the best!".

old

I suspect these stats would be different if they polled customers at a high end steak house (e.g $60+ ny strips) than the fast food equivalent of a steak house.

Kieli

I suspect these stats would be different if they polled customers at a high end steak house (e.g $60+ ny strips) than the fast food equivalent of a steak house.

There's no such thing as cheap steak. Even the cheapest runs $30 CAD.

Chumley

Banned

It's so bizarre that people can be so obsessed with another person's food preferences.

It's insulting to the chef, to the cow you killed to eat the steak, and to yourself.

HeySeuss

Actually the chef. Because you're not utilizing their skillset and ordering a steak that any normal fry cook could pump out. Cooking a well done steak at a high end place is a social faux pas

Davey Cakes

Applebee's? Joke post?
Frank's Steakhouse.

The center was marinated, juicy, and tender and the outside was intentionally charred to a crisp. It was nice.

I've had the filet mignon there, and had it medium. That was cooked correctly as well.

Cooking more or longer doesn't mean the steak will be shoe leather. It's all about the technique.

F34R

I eat well done, my wife does medium well. I've tried it every way, and find well done is best for me.

jviggy43

97.5% of Americans are eating their steak wrong.
This. Stop throwing your money away.
Actually the chef. Because you're not utilizing their skillset and ordering a steak that any normal fry cook could pump out. Cooking a well done steak at a high end place is a social faux pas
Was at peter lugers about a year ago, the waiter told me people can order it well done but they won't get it that way.

MIMIC

Banned

If you're a chef and you get "offended" that someone dared to order a steak that you cooked well-done, then you probably need to get over yourself.

Geist-

I'm honestly having a hard time believing medium-rare is 3rd place on the chart. Are people just scared of ordering something with the word "rare" in it?

F34R

I use ketchup and/or A1. That's the norm for me now. I've had dozens of different ways to go though.

Ponn

Banned

What kind of skill set is used to sear a steak on both sides?

There are less than 500 Longhorns in the US, so I refuse to believe this is at all representative. We like our steaks like our wars, bloody

Rare meat is disgusting.
Love me some rare steak.

dany-horse-heart.gif

Badosh

I never order rare or well-done, almost always medium. Depending on past experiences and the restaurant I'll order medium-rare or medium-well, but eh.

cress2000

Breath of Fire II had a really great joke about this. If you answered well done, your party's HP was appropriately reduced to 1 in the boss fight that followed.

Honestly? I bet this is the main reason Trump orders his well done. "Only the best for me!"

Thumbs up. The thought occurred to me as well. I held back, hahah.

g11

Best way to be sure you get your steak right is to cook it yourself. I don't trust the grill jockey at Applebee's and the like to know the difference between medium and rare. If I'm gonna each trash food, I'll just hit Taco Bell. If I want a steak, I'd rather just select and cook the meat myself.

Horp

Not too bad. I was fearing I would see a majority well done or medium-wells. Not bad at all :)

Best way to be sure you get your steak right is to cook it yourself. I don't trust the grill jockey at Applebee's and the like to know the difference between medium and rare. If I'm gonna each trash food, I'll just hit Taco Bell. If I want a steak, I'd rather just select and cook the meat myself.

No :( I'm not a bad cook. I can make a great indian curry or nice pie, or why not some swedish traditional food; but man I can't cook a steak properly. :( (properly = medium rare, nothing else. Rare tastes like iron, well done tastes like leather, no joke.)

"brown on the outside, pink in the middle"

My uncle taught me this for many things but mostly steak

image.php

Madness

I will never understand the Well-done people. Can't you save money and just order a Hamburger without the bun instead?

Why? When you can afford steak and eat it how you want. Or are you one of those elitist food snobs who thinks they know best. Well-done steak tastes better than a hamburger patty. I don't get this notion of a right way to eat anything. As if you don't have enough folks these days telling you how to live, piss , tip, you need people to tell you how to eat cooked meat.

I like my steak between medium and medium well myself. I've had medium rare and well done as well. Steak is steak...

Top Bottom