• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How animation was done in the 1930's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadsic

i hate these topics because they always shit on modern animation. animation now is amazing and mindblowing and way better than any other time pretty much

id rather see like superjail or gravity falls than popeye or transformers or yogi bear or whatever

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
TV animation is actually starting to get to the point where it's genuinely amazing. It took a really huge setback when the recession hit and projects dried up. Studios were closing left and right and many of the rest had to produce on very tight budgets in order to get contracts.

Bauhaus

Banned
i hate these topics because they always shit on modern animation. animation now is amazing and mindblowing and way better than any other time pretty much

id rather see like superjail or gravity falls than popeye or transformers or yogi bear or whatever
image.php

KillGore

I agree with this.

Those are pretty unfavorable comparisons to cite. I don't think anybody using transformers as an example of great older animation. There's still good stuff coming out today, but there's a lot of flat, odd looking, tweened, warped and cheap looking animation out now too. I'd say that's more often the case.

Even the shows that use more traditional animation, often don't take it far enough. Still great shows, but Regular Show for example, would be even cooler if every episode was animated as well as the pilot. (smoother motion, more exaggerated weight & personality, funnier expressions)

Gravity Falls is top notch through and through, though. Love the animation in that show.

Thanks for this thread/link.

Makes me appreciate my job more, no matter how much I complain about redrawing props, poses that the design should've done it for me, animators at this day and age, have it a tad easier.

I'm also proud that I got to experience exactly the same method of work those guys did back then (drawing and flipping the pages) while I was in school, so I know what it takes.

Having said that, producers, big studios still fuck them over with super tight timelines, almost impossible schedules, and low pay. So let's not be too thankful just yet..

Just shows how lazy and over-entitled we've become in the modern era

Shesh, just because they have a computer to help doesn't make it easy.

Thanks for the video OP, I am a graphic designer/illustrator and it is crazy to see some of the similarities in even what I do to this.

Spinluck

Some bold claims in this thread, and it certainly makes me wonder how the Animation OT I'm working on will go down.

My goodness, there's an Animation OT in the working? Yes!!

Also, awesome video, love anything having to do with animation.
Those animators were talented as fuck.

I posted this in another thread but....

The lines between them (2d and 3d) have been getting gradually blurry for a very long time. Films like Tarzan - aside from the kickass Phil Collins croons - had buckets of 3D, and it looked utterly beautiful because of it (seriously, watch this - utterly amazing, utterly leveraging the ~80 years of animation knowledge, utterly reliant on 3D) Even Beauty and the Beast back in 1991 had a scene where everything but the characters themselves were 3D, and it's more or less the most iconic scene in the entire film (this one, of course). the Princess and Frog came after a statement that they'd finished with 2D, and maybe if more of you had gone to see and/or not entirely forgotten the subsequent, totally 2D Whinnie the Pooh, they'd make more "traditional 2D" films, but the reality is that what most people see as "2D" and "3D" is a wholly stylistic choice. It's not about closing a certain studio or whatever - it's about what the director wants their film to look like. The techniques, the knowledge of animation and the visual styles are all still there. Paperman was beautiful, but I raise my eyebrow at the idea that someone painting the eyeballs (with a wacom pen, no doubt) rather than it being rendered by Renderman is what makes or breaks a film.

Ghibli is exactly the same, incidentally - a huge chunk of it is 3d and it's all CG.

Acrylic7

Go buy a Disney BluRay and watch the extra content on how they made the films.
Raw talent. Animators were on another level.

Fleischer animation produced comics' hardest worker

Tezuka didn't work for Flerisher. He was inspired by them, though.

Slightly off topic but how come this style of voice/video was used for so long, like up until the 60s. It's like all documentaries/commercials had this kind of propaganda voice narration, with quaint music in the background. Why did it stop though? Did people 'grow up' out of it in the late 60s/early 70s or something?

It's called a 'trans-continental accent' ie, a mix between a British and northeastern American accent. It was the defacto standard in american broadcasting and acting schools for some time. I imagine the decline was caused when northeastern boarding schools, which taught the accent to American children, began going out of fashion.

I posted this in another thread but....

The lines between them (2d and 3d) have been getting gradually blurry for a very long time. Films like Tarzan - aside from the kickass Phil Collins croons - had buckets of 3D, and it looked utterly beautiful because of it (seriously, watch this - utterly amazing, utterly leveraging the ~80 years of animation knowledge, utterly reliant on 3D) Even Beauty and the Beast back in 1991 had a scene where everything but the characters themselves were 3D, and it's more or less the most iconic scene in the entire film (this one, of course). the Princess and Frog came after a statement that they'd finished with 2D, and maybe if more of you had gone to see and/or not entirely forgotten the subsequent, totally 2D Whinnie the Pooh, they'd make more "traditional 2D" films, but the reality is that what most people see as "2D" and "3D" is a wholly stylistic choice. It's not about closing a certain studio or whatever - it's about what the director wants their film to look like. The techniques, the knowledge of animation and the visual styles are all still there. Paperman was beautiful, but I raise my eyebrow at the idea that someone painting the eyeballs (with a wacom pen, no doubt) rather than it being rendered by Renderman is what makes or breaks a film.

Ghibli is exactly the same, incidentally - a huge chunk of it is 3d and it's all CG.

Not sure about all the directors. But didn't Miyazaki start using CG with Princess Mononoke and then go back to traditional/mostly traditional with Ponyo? I remember reading something like that.

Not that I disagree with your point entirely (always thought that beauty and the beast scene looked goofy)

Sadsic

Go buy a Disney BluRay and watch the extra content on how they made the films.
Raw talent. Animators were on another level.

i dont disagree i just dont like how these topics turn into dumping grounds for the modernity. its not even specifically animation, same thing for like pink floyd wankfests or classic videogaming threads

Branduil

Well, Hanna Barbara cartoons were garbage. The '60s through the '80s were a dark age for western animation in many ways. A lot of older cartoons are still great, though. Stuff from Disney like Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia are still mind-blowing, even today.

Acrylic7

Utterly wrong.

korra-fighting5kqwx.gif

Os3wPJZ.gif

Yes Avatar is good. But that's only 1 example. Storyboard are super detailed when they come up with the fights, love their stuff.

MC isn't a good example. Iv seen the storyboards and the animation process. Its just awkward camera positions and tricks that makes it look cool in motion.

and regarding the simpsons post; The older animation are better, much more fluent. The newer version just seems cleaner, but lacking life. Notice how Marg isnt even moving except for her head. Bland stuff.

Divvy

Yes Avatar is good. But that's only 1 example.

The person I was responding too only posted one example. Besides, there are plenty of examples, I just don't feel like making my own gifs from every single show.

Shows like Gravity Falls, Adventure time, Futurama, Young Justice, Clone wars, the upcoming Wander over Yonder and even Bob's Burger's has moments of animated brilliance.

Hell, even kids shows like Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Justin Time are very well animated.

What tv shows in the past are better animated than the ones now?

MC isn't a good example. Iv seen the storyboards and the animation process. Its just awkward camera positions and tricks that makes it look cool in motion.

The entire purpose of animation is to tell a story and look good doing it. Who cares how it's made.

GCX

Not sure about all the directors. But didn't Miyazaki start using CG with Princess Mononoke and then go back to traditional/mostly traditional with Ponyo? I remember reading something like that.

Not that I disagree with your point entirely (always thought that beauty and the beast scene looked goofy)
Ponyo was 100% hand drawn animation with no computer tricks except for the color correction, etc. The tsunami scene is one of the most amazing examples of pure 2D animation in recent memory, everything is so goddamn fluid.

Miyazaki's next movie will include CG elements again though.

Want to elaborate? It's general knowledge that the golden age of animation had the most insane, complex and best constructed animation ever made. Modern Disney for example is flashier, but the animation principles themselves are shit in comparison.
I don't care too much for modern Disney, but it seems like you are completely ignoring Japanese animation. I don't want to turn this into a East vs. West debate, since they are different styles.

Yup, afaik, Ponyo was the only one in the last ~15 years produced like that.

zoukka

I don't care too much for modern Disney, but it seems like you are completely ignoring Japanese animation. I don't want to turn this into a East vs. West debate, since they are different styles.

Me neither, but you gotta remember that even anime and manga took huge influence from the golden age of american animation and cartoons. It's the base working principles for the whole industry in general.

Today anime seems to have overcome the western animation decades ago. Things like avatar just copy age old anime fight choreocraphy :b

Divvy

Me neither, but you gotta remember that even anime and manga took huge influence from the golden age of american animation and cartoons. It's the base working principles for the whole industry in general.

Today anime seems to have overcome the western animation decades ago. Things like avatar just copy age old anime fight choreocraphy :b

Not really. I won't deny influence, but they had a martial arts consultant that choreographed every fight scene. They certainly did not "copy" anyone, that's downright offensive to the people that worked on it.

Acrylic7

The person I was responding too only posted one example. Besides, there are plenty of examples, I just don't feel like making my own gifs from every single show.

Shows like Gravity Falls, Adventure time, Futurama, Young Justice, Clone wars, the upcoming Wander over Yonder and even Bob's Burger's has moments of animated brilliance.

Hell, even kids shows like Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and Justin Time are very well animated.

What tv shows in the past are better animated than the ones now?

The entire purpose of animation is to tell a story and look good doing it. Who cares how it's made.

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what the hell is your point exactly? Of course the early stuff had more cost-cutting. And there was no need for more than four fingers on those early characters. Sure it "saves" you to animate one additional finger, but all good character design aims to make the characters as easy to animate as possible while retaining enough complexity to keep them lively and expressive. It's not lazy by any means.

I made that post because I hate all of this circle-jerking against modern animation that actually manages to do its stuff, that it implies laziness.

Yes Avatar is good. But that's only 1 example. Storyboard are super detailed when they come up with the fights, love their stuff.

and regarding the simpsons post; The older animation are better, much more fluent. The newer version just seems cleaner, but lacking life. Notice how Marg isnt even moving except for her head. Bland stuff.

Simpsons actually didn't feel like they managed to find a sweet spot until seasons 3 or so. 1 was utterly atrocious in the animation.

With that said, while I can see the main gripe on the Marge animation... I chuckled because do people want characters spazzing out whenever they move, just to show that they are "animated"?

Seth C

Just shows how lazy and over-entitled we've become in the modern era

Bullshit. The problem is a company would expect to pay all of those people less now (in today's dollars) than they did then. All the profit has to go to the few people at the top, obviously.

wonzo

Banned
Wait, how is the use of far more creative camera angles and visually engaging perspectives somehow a bad thing?

IceCold

Wow, I saw that movie a thousand times as a kid.

holy crap that's bad

You can read a bit about the animation process of The Simpsons here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15mskw/i_am_alex_ruiz_animator_on_the_simpsons_ama/

Basically guys like him do the key animations (the most important poses), then those are sent to Korea where they do the in between frames. It takes 6 months to do 1 episode. He said the animation when down hill when the show went all digital 10 or so years ago. Combine that with tight schedules and you get substandard animation. It's a shame, but when you have to produce as many episodes as these guys do, something has to give.

...but but but the feminists said that women weren't allowed out of the kitchen.

wuh

Also, people lamenting that animation "sucks" now are comparing relatively low-budget shows on a tight production schedule to masterpieces. There is plenty of excellent animation out there at the moment.

cool video. the thing that made me realize how much work was involved in animation was a behind-the-scenes look at Roger Rabbit i saw a while back. over one million drawings were made for it.

MisterHero

Tezuka didn't work for Flerisher. He was inspired by them, though.
Nope. Kirby arguably WAS Marvel. Beside his own work, he trained other Marvel artists by drawing layouts for them. He was outpacing the writers he collaborated with and writing his own stuff, including Lee.

If DC takes the most obvious path with the Justice League movie, both they and movie Marvel will be riding Kirby's work.

Tezuka's still cool though.

All right, Gravity Falls is great, but using it to put down Popeye, who had some of the most creative, imaginative, interesting shorts ever produced is wrong and is spitting in the face of animation.

zoukka

I made that post because I hate all of this circle-jerking against modern animation that actually manages to do its stuff, that it implies laziness.

So you nasically had to say something, no matter how inaccurate to defend your favourite animations...

Simpsons actually didn't feel like they managed to find a sweet spot until seasons 3 or so. 1 was utterly atrocious in the animation.

With that said, while I can see the main gripe on the Marge animation... I chuckled because do people want characters spazzing out whenever they move, just to show that they are "animated"?

People want life in their animated characters. And it's the goddamn opening, of course it needs to be flashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom