• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How animation was done in the 1930's

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

Depending on the studio and the specific cartoon, the budgets were probably inflated. Superman definitely was when it started.

They were fighting over Oscars man. Back before it became a telegraph between Pixar, Dreamworks, and some independent/foreign animations.
Blue Sky is alright

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So you nasically had to say something, no matter how inaccurate to defend your favourite animations...

People want life in their animated characters. And it's the goddamn opening, of course it needs to be flashy.

wut... I did say them accurately. It is a fact that the four fingers was more of constraints, same with all black characters and white gloves. I simply stated that modern animation is not "cheap" compared to old ones, especially since popular old animations like to be "economical".

While they could've made Marge's twirl in the HD opening more animated (and I detest it because Homer gets hit by the car showcasing how dumb he has gotten), there are at points where it becomes too "animated" that it becomes non-sensical. Then again John K. loves all that spazzing.

Wiktor

Yeah a dude with a tablet sounds so much more expensive than 100 animators, a paint department, a photo department, management, oh and yeah a huge mechanical iron armature for holding cells.

Yeah, because a single dude with a tablet can make feature lenght animated movie today :]

Wow, I thought this thread would have a worthwile discussion, but some of the responses are somewhat silly becuase of not knowing cartoon history (old and modern) and just hating and shielding in being their opinion.
Guys theres opinion, of course, but there also facts.

Ive read here things like people not watching some new cartoons and hating them not knowing the process they have behind (things like the guy giving his opinion without watching of Mistery Inc for example) and vice versa, people saying some of the old cartoons are nothing to call home about compared with the new ones, doing some pretty stupid comparisons that are factually wrong (shitting all over Fleischer and Disney, oh my)

Theres food of process for a diverse discussion of old and modern animation, but this thread has turned more into hating people that say only old was good, and viceversa.

However there are some good responses in this thread that is good disccussing over.

tkscz

Considering the time period, I'm a little surprised at all the female workers. Nice to see something like that. As for the animation process, I've seen things like this before and man did they had it rough. When did we start using computers to animate?

Considering the time period, I'm a little surprised at all the female workers. Nice to see something like that. As for the animation process, I've seen things like this before and man did they had it rough. When did we start using computers to animate?
You mean for 2D? Disney started using the Pixar developed CAPS software for parts of The Little Mermaid (1989) and all of The Rescuers Down Under (1990).

They were all working at inking and painting, while the male workers had the more "creative" process of creating the script, jokes and character creation, as well as animating. However the females inking and painting were amazing professionals that made the cartoons look perfect, and some time later some of the most creative girls became much more important working in similar jobs like their male counterparts. People like Mary Blair for example.
Theres also a little story where this painting girls helped creating the character of Snow White as we know it today, because without them telling Disney that Snow White looked dead at the time when they were painting her, and having the great idea of using real blusher to put on her cheeks to make her alive, the character would have appeared different and more eerie in the final result.
Its a very interesting part of animation history, without a doubt.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Utterly wrong.

korra-fighting5kqwx.gif

Os3wPJZ.gif
I don't get anime sometimes though. To me personally, it's always looked so choppy compared to Western animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom