• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you saving up for Next Gen Consoles?

Kokoloko85

Good luck with the passive income journey.
Just remember that the journey to get to passive income may not be so passive.
If you go into real estate, you have to work and save up diligently to afford multiple homes.
If you go into blogging, you have to spend many hours researching whatever it is you want to write about.
If you want to live off dividends, you'll have to invest a ton of money over several years and hope the market returns are favorable.

There's always work involved. Even for my cheap method, I had to sit down and program my bot for 2 hours. There are still a few features I want to add such as auto-run at 8 AM EST every day and then scaling my bot to generate $100+ every month.

Thanks man,
Yep for sure, lots of hard work and Ive spend days designing something, now need a wordpress programmer / or something similar. Ill have to still keep ontop of it if it works For sure.
Thats sounds awesome man well done.

One good thing that has happened since being forced off my usual teaching work was, I started looking into games testing more seriously and finally found a few gigs. Even got to test some a game for a 1st party studio which was awesome. Hopefully I can build a resume and keep doing it as a fun part time job.

diffusionx

Gold Member
LOL... C'mon, man. Bragging about making $40-50/month?
I genuinely wanted to know how others are saving. I thought there would be more people doing unique ways to make a bit more cash, but it seems I'm the only one here.
I really despise using my rental income, dividends, or my salary to pay for toys. It seems only 1 person here shares my distaste.

"hey guys how are you buying a console, I'm just using my secret bot i coded in 2 hours to get free money for it, NBD"

replicant-

I am not. I don't have a job right now and barely scrounge something but it's used for paying the bills (electricity, internet, etc.) and food.

Going for a minimum wage job doesn't really improve things much either, and it's a dead-end anyway.

I'm in the process of getting my shit together, though. (Start selling imitation jewelry) I want every new console, a powerful gaming PC and a Valve Index by early next year if possible.

Good luck. Getting a bit of financial freedom can be life changing.

Pantz

Stimulus checks and Federal Unemployment checks have filled my coffers. I should have enough for both and a brand new PC sometime next year. Unless the economy collapses or something like that.

LOL... C'mon, man. Bragging about making $40-50/month?
I genuinely wanted to know how others are saving. I thought there would be more people doing unique ways to make a bit more cash, but it seems I'm the only one here.
I really despise using my rental income, dividends, or my salary to pay for toys. It seems only 1 person here shares my distaste.
Tbh you just sound like an ass. Hurrdurr I am in the 1% guys, my passive income, oh dat euphoric rush. Yeah we get it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not in a hurry to go next gen.

I'll go next gen when I can have the games I really want. And it can't be just a couple. When there are a lot of games I want, I'll go next gen.

I try to buy less shit from aliexpress
I've wondered about that site.

I usually just jump on Amazon but there is some good stuff on AliExpress as well. Just never found the confidence to go ahead and buy from them. How is the service?

Sorry to derail the thread now.

On Topic:
I share the sentiment of some when they say they will wait for games that they really want. Currently what i want is GT7 and a next gen GAAS game like Division 3 (If there is even going to be a Division 3). Also i'm selling my electric scooter soon so that can fund my PS5 purchase.

Last edited:

shaddam

I've wondered about that site.

I usually just jump on Amazon but there is some good stuff on AliExpress as well. Just never found the confidence to go ahead and buy from them. How is the service?

Sorry to derail the thread now.

On Topic:
I share the sentiment of some when they say they will wait for games that they really want. Currently what i want is GT7 and a next gen GAAS game like Division 3 (If there is even going to be a Division 3). Also i'm selling my electric scooter soon so that can fund my PS5 purchase.
My country dont have official amazon, but a few times I bought discounted blu rays from there. Aliexpress is really cool place. If something goes wrong you can get an easy refund. A few weeks ago I bought a Philips SHP9500, the only bad thing is the waiting. Well and the other bad thing if you buy some sex toy and the costums grab it. It was not my proudest moment when I sent the receipt to the office :messenger_weary:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yep, I am a landlord.
I rent out 8 houses in a place very close to Manhattan.
It nets me around 6000/month. I make another 70k/year off of dividends (Mostly from owning VOO). In my FT job, I make 220k.
I also make $40-50/month in amazon gift cards, which I use to pay for electronics such as my PC, iPhones, consoles and games.
Sorry but there’s no way this is true lol.
Millionaires don’t make threads asking how people are saving to buy a cheap toy. They also don’t do surveys or whatever to earn gift cards. They also don’t brag and brag about how rich they are.

Roberts

MS is paying me for shilling Gamepass and other Xbox stuff here. Pretty sweet deal. That said, it's possible that I'm joking and it's not true. Won't confirm or deny.

Cato

Banned
Buying two, day one.
One to play on and one to remain untouched, with original fw, in its box, until cfw becomes available for the day one fw.
Possibly buy one also for the boy day one so I have someone to co-op with.d

So write me down for three. day one. I will pay for them using money.

Last edited:
Rich people buy mansions and nice houses, because those are investments. Nice houses in nice neighborhoods typically have better school districts for their kids and also appreciate in value compared to poorer neighborhods. There's also a lot more opportunity to forge connections with others who are wealthy. I also bought multiple nice houses in an upper-class neighborhood, so I'm not sure where you're seeing the red flag.
I downpaid 300k for a 700k house last November for a 3.5% mortgage rate. It already appreciated to 850k. I now own 9 houses in the area.

I have no qualms about spending a lot of money if there is a positive financial outcome from the transaction.
When I say rich people are typically cheap asses, I meant to say that they don't want to buy things that provide little financial return. I suggest you watch Graham Stephan videos to get a better idea of what I mean. He's actually way more frugal than I am.
Actually, from the responses from this thread, it seems like most of you guys don't get it.

Are you fixated on a rising number in your life or do you want to experience all it has to offer?

Ellery

A proper TV is the real challenge for me.

PS5 + TV + maybe headset/games etc. are gonna be expensive if you want that juicy 4K HDR HDMI 2.1 and maybe even OLED/QLED.

It is not necessarily the money itself, but rather how much I am ready to spend for a TV. The ones I want are too expensive at the moment and I hope the upcoming TVs that have HDMI 2.1 are going to be more reasonably priced in the future. Maybe I will wait into 2021, because the features I am looking for are probably going to be widely available on a bigger range of Televisions then.

StrongGuy

Sorry but there’s no way this is true lol.
Millionaires don’t make threads asking how people are saving to buy a cheap toy. They also don’t do surveys or whatever to earn gift cards. They also don’t brag and brag about how rich they are.

I already had an asset dick-measuring contest in another thread before a mod told me to stop. As I was already warned, I'm not going to post any more of my assets. You can believe whatever you want.
Also, I don't do surveys. That would be way too manual and completely not worth $50/month. I just press a button and the bot does everything in ~2 minutes.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
I don't need to save anything, I have a decent job and I don't waste my money so every month I save several times the cost of any next gen console.

StrongGuy

I don't need to save anything, I have a decent job and I don't waste my money so every month I save several times the cost of any next gen console.

Yes, but how does it feel when people can get the newest iPhone, PS5 + 30 games, newest iMac, and more for free while you had to pay money for it?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

This, both my girlfriend and i have decent job, so we do not really have to save money for these type of "smaller" purchases.

My latest "large" purchase was the LG CX 4K OLED.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
Got the money, but I’m done buying systems at launch. No need. I’ll let you suckers be the guinea pigs, in the mean time I’m good with my Pc and switch.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
WTF? I thought most people with a decent job always have a few thousand in reserve for unexpected emergencies like when you car or washing-machine or whatever breaks down.

LucidFlux

I've had about a grand set aside since last year to cover launch expenses but my wife's company offers a generous wellness stipend (which includes game consoles) so we'll be taking advantage of that for sure.

Every gen i put 50 dollars in shoe box 6 mobths before it starts-

i think im on month 4 so ill counted then but my kid wants one too so ill have to probably get second one at same time both disc version 🔼

Boopster

Banned
My girlfriend's husband (who is the reason I discovered this forum) has a pretty decent job, and he's offered to buy me a PS5 on launch if I play multiplayer with him. In a couple of years, when Fable and Unavowed come out, I'll get the XSX myself.

The Shift

Banned
I'm going to sell my XB1X, pocket the cash and use Xbox All Access for an XBSX, so I'll pay nothing on launch day for the console (including launch titles with GamePass Ultimate) and be charged monthly as an additional item on my mobile phone bill.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Already saved up, I just need to see if Kena and Scarlet Nexus are coming out same day as PS5 launches.

I will sell my PS4pro if 100% possible to play all my PS4 library on PS5.

StrongGuy

Because you're accumulating a steady pattern of gift cards, I got the impression you must be buying these gift cards yourself as a "layaway tactic".

Are you getting them some different way, like as gifts or promos?

I'm getting the gift card code.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I already had an asset dick-measuring contest in another thread before a mod told me to stop. As I was already warned, I'm not going to post any more of my assets. You can believe whatever you want.
Also, I don't do surveys. That would be way too manual and completely not worth $50/month. I just press a button and the bot does everything in ~2 minutes.

People never believe it when I tell them how much I earn and have either, or even after showing them screen shots with blanked out personal information of my annual salary, stocks, and retirement account. I don't blame them, I remember when I was struggling. It's difficult for many to believe that some of us haven't had to worry about when payday was in years.

Top Bottom