• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I Met Your Mother Season 7 |OT| Weddings guaranteed, The Mother...not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
LM4sure said:
So Robin is definitely not the mother, right? I feel like that has been spelled out before, but now the ending has me second guessing it.
Definitely not. He called her "Aunt Robin" when he mentioned her in front of the kids.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
LM4sure said:
So Robin is definitely not the mother, right? I feel like that has been spelled out before, but now the ending has me second guessing it.
"And that's the story of how I met your aunt Robin" ;)

Casp0r

Banned
brotkasten said:
Definitely not. He called her "Aunt Robin" when he mentioned her in front of the kids.

I'm pretty sure Robin marries Barney ...

wait no ... she marries the anchor?

Ergh HIMYM you confuse.

Tedesco!

Lone_Prodigy said:

Barney says something like "Why do you say this to me, when you know I will slam you for it?" It was said with the same cadence and inflection from a line Zod said in Superman II.

Radec

Damn that was a great episode.

Especially the part where Ted and Victory got close.

I hope the introduction of the Mother delivers.

timnich

I wonder if the whole "Robin/Barney/Ted" thing has anything to do with the rumor that Ted ends up marrying
Barney's half sister. If he does marry her, that would make uncle Barney the kids' actual uncle. To continue that thought, if Robin marries Barney, that would make her the kids' actual aunt, thus tying the three of them even closer.

StuBurns

Banned
I loved this episode, better than anything last season, really felt like the start of the show again.

And Victoria looked amazing.

Kingsora said:
"And that's the story of how I met your aunt Robin" ;)

My brother made a joke about how it would end with Ted saying "and son, that's how I met your mother."

Then he turns to his daughter and says "now this is the story about how I met YOUR mother..."

Tedesco! said:
Barney says something like "Why do you say this to me, when you know I will slam you for it?" It was said with the same cadence and inflection from a line Zod said in Superman II.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

Victoria looked amazing. she seemed to have lost weight from episode 1 of season. was there a gap between 1 and 2? The chemistry between her and Ted is amazing and I truely think she is the mother and Barney will marry Robin.

stilgar

planar1280 said:
Victoria looked amazing. she seemed to have lost weight from episode 1 of season. was there a gap between 1 and 2?

You think so?Maybe, I still found she was way prettier (and less chubby) when Ted first met her.

Danielsan

stilgar said:
You think so?Maybe, I still found she was way prettier (and less chubby) when Ted first met her.
She looked great and certainly not chubby. Of course she looked better six years ago. People age...

stilgar

Danielsan said:
She looked great and certainly not chubby. Of course she looked better six years ago. People age...

Aging=/=looking less pretty. She went from, what, 25 to 30, so I don't see the point here.

But to each his own, I guess.

eastmen

Banned
stilgar said:
Aging=/=looking less pretty. She went from, what, 25 to 30, so I don't see the point here.

But to each his own, I guess.
she was on season 1 and its now season 7.But sheaged only 5 years ?

ShOcKwAvE

timnich said:
I wonder if the whole "Robin/Barney/Ted" thing has anything to do with the rumor that Ted ends up marrying
Barney's half sister. If he does marry her, that would make uncle Barney the kids' actual uncle. To continue that thought, if Robin marries Barney, that would make her the kids' actual aunt, thus tying the three of them even closer.

That would explain why she's at the wedding...and it makes more sense than the connection to Rachel Bilson. Then again, that would make Ted's experience with Bilson very random and unlikely. I still think it has something to do with her.

LukeSmith

ShOcKwAvE said:
That would explain why she's at the wedding...and it makes more sense than the connection to Rachel Bilson. Then again, that would make Ted's experience with Bilson very random and unlikely. I still think it has something to do with her.

Wasn't it said that the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate in college?

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, it's her roommate.

As for 'aunt', I don't think it means anything, he calls Lily that to the kids too.

I doubt Barney is marrying Robin this season, it's too final. They don't seem to be gearing for an epic ending or anything, they're more likely to string people on till the last minute I imagine.

eastmen

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Wasn't it said that the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate in college?

Yes , he caught a glimpse of the yellow trolly car (that sits behind the kids when he talks to them in the future ) when he is at her apartment . So the mother is the roomate .

This what we know.

She was at the bar when evil ted ran through saint pattys day and he went back for his phone and left with her yellow umbrella .

She was in the class he wrongfuly went into to teach on his first day as a teacher .

She was the roomate of Rachel Bilson while Ted was seeing her.

What we know of barney's sister.

She is away from home going to college

We don't know her age , but if she is a senior or in the first year of graduate school it could match up .

No Tommorow was in season 3 . We are now in Season 7. So roughly 3-4 years after the event in No Tommorow.

So Barney's sister had to be at least 18 by then . To be in the bar legaly she would have to be 21. So in this seaon she will have to be 24-25 based on being 21 during No Tommorow , Ted will be 34 at the end of this season. I base that on the fact that Ted turned 31 during season 4 epsiode 24 the leap.

She of course could be older ta the time of No Tommorow. Barney is Ted's age or slightly older, So its possible that Barney's sister is a few years younger.

The hard fit of course is that Ted becomes a teacher in season 5 epsiode 1 , Definitions. So I'm thinking if she was still in college she would be doing graduate classes by that point. Typicaly you finish college with a bachlors between 21 and 22 .

She could have gone to a community school for a few years and trasnfered while moving to the city.

But she is the best match we have so far. She makes sense for being at Barney's wedding and we know he is getting married.

eastmen

Banned
stilgar said:

I'm just busting on you. As I said in a previous post , Ted was 31 in season 4 epsiode 24. So chances are Victoria is also Teds age . So we last saw her in her twentys and we now see her in her mid 30s

StuBurns

Banned
The only real issue with Barney's sister is it's pretty obvious. It's a catch 22, they can't do the Lost thing of a complete mind fuck, because she has to be someone who is meaningful without selling her to the audience for lots of episodes, but she has to be surprising enough to feel it's warranted the mystery.

They can claim he's going to meet her at the wedding, but they've mislead the audience lots of times, there's no real reason to imagine the show will reveal her any time soon.

maharg

idspispopd
Her being obvious to people paying attention and trying to put together the puzzle is not the same as being obvious to the people who just watch the show for the funnies. The latter might matter, the former doesn't really.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't really believe the casual audience care who the mother is. All the mystery and meta mockery seems very distinctly aimed at 'geeks' who will not be surprised by Barney's sister. Who knows, if it's loosely based around the show runners life, the mother could have been set in stone from the very beginning and they could have seeded it from day one.

eastmen

Banned
StuBurns said:
I don't really believe the casual audience care who the mother is. All the mystery and meta mockery seems very distinctly aimed at 'geeks' who will not be surprised by Barney's sister. Who knows, if it's loosely based around the show runners life, the mother could have been set in stone from the very beginning and they could have seeded it from day one.

For all we know she has been in multiple scenes through the seasons. The sister could work well , lots of people are set up by friends . So it could make sense that he meets her at barney's wedding.

I think the big thing about Barney's sister is this .

Currently they are all friends.

If Barney and Robin are married then they are family.

If Ted marries Barney's Sister then Barney , Robin and Ted are family.

With Marshal and Lilly having a child they could have Ted and Robin (she seems to be lilly's only friend) as the God parents.

It would connect the group through the future and wrap everything up together.

StuBurns

Banned
I think regardless it's going to feel cheap, seven seasons in they're still playing with Ted's infatuation with Robin. I don't think they're going to sell Ted moving on this quickly.

Even though they outright state in the first episode it's not her, people still try to discern some logical way it could be. It's pretty much what the audience seems to want.

timnich

The way I see it, why mention that Barney has a sister that is away for college if she isn't seen, unless her abcense is meant to build a surprise later on. It just seems like her reveal is being saved for something big later on.

StuBurns

Banned
timnich said:
The way I see it, why mention that Barney has a sister that is away for college if she isn't seen, unless her abcense is meant to build a surprise later on. It just seems like her reveal is being saved for something big later on.
Well one possible answer would be as a red herring.

Xeke

Banned
StuBurns said:
I think regardless it's going to feel cheap, seven seasons in they're still playing with Ted's infatuation with Robin. I don't think they're going to sell Ted moving on this quickly.

Even though they outright state in the first episode it's not her, people still try to discern some logical way it could be. It's pretty much what the audience seems to want.

Just like Jim and Pam.

eastmen

Banned
StuBurns said:

I don't think they can ever live up to who the mother is . Even if the mother was revealed at the end of season 1 people would be disapointed.

I'm hoping at the end of the season he meets the mother and says and that kids is how i met your mother , but winning her over is another story and next season starts with him telling them that.

oatmeal

Banned
What kind of bullshit are they trying to pull with this Robin realization?

Stupid show.

Barney doing the shu jitsu or whatever was awesome. Good episode other than the ending stupidness.

Danielsan

StuBurns said:
Well, I've not seen the US office, but Tim and Dawn from the UK one was pretty much a perfect execution of TV romance.
So true.

oatmeal said:

Stupid show.

Barney doing the shu jitsu or whatever was awesome. Good episode other than the ending stupidness.
Well let's be fair. How would you feel if your girlfriend would hang out with her ex nearly every day of the week. That shit just doesn't work.

oatmeal

Banned
eastmen said:
I don't think they can ever live up to who the mother is . Even if the mother was revealed at the end of season 1 people would be disapointed.

I'm hoping at the end of the season he meets the mother and says and that kids is how i met your mother , but winning her over is another story and next season starts with him telling them that.

It doesn't help that there has been so many red herrings that it has ruined the whole thing.

I don't mind the show being just a sitcom, but it still tries to drop these little hints and they're all bullshit.

You guys just watch, there will be a twist ending where it turns out there is no mother, Ted went crazy from loneliness and kidnapped two kids and his friends covered for him. He's stringing the kids along till he can figure out exactly what to tell them, kinda like the show tells us.

I think, considering the length of this show, the identity of the mother has become less and less important. It's more about the group of 5 and the stuff they get up to.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
You guys just watch, there will be a twist ending where it turns out there is no mother, Ted went crazy from loneliness and kidnapped two kids and his friends covered for him. He's stringing the kids along till he can figure out exactly what to tell them, kinda like the show tells us.

That would be pretty bad ass. The whole story has taken place in context of a hostage negotiation, and he just trying to justify what he just did to his victims. The last scene is Swat bursting through the living room and a muzzle flash as future Ted is shot.

eastmen

Banned
oatmeal said:

Stupid show.

we already know there is still feelings there. I forget which episode it was , but Ted was going to have dinner with some girl and instead cancels it and has the dinner with robin. There wa alot of unsaid things during it and they made the agreement that if they are 40 and single they will marry each other.

They do need to put an end to the Robin and Ted situation that has remained unresolved since season 1.

Ted has closure with stella and now victoria . He needs it with Robin

oatmeal

Banned
eastmen said:
we already know there is still feelings there. I forget which episode it was , but Ted was going to have dinner with some girl and instead cancels it and has the dinner with robin. There wa alot of unsaid things during it and they made the agreement that if they are 40 and single they will marry each other.

They do need to put an end to the Robin and Ted situation that has remained unresolved since season 1.

Ted has closure with stella and now victoria . He needs it with Robin

BUt we KNOW he doesn't end up with her...so it's just a waste of time.

She's "Aunt Robin"...

Nice episode, much better than the first two. Victoria looked good too, still has pudgy arms though :/

Interesting twist at the end, implying Ted, Robin, and Barney won't hang out together in the future. We know they do though in the 2035 future, so I'm hoping it's not one of those "this isn't working out, let's stop being friends anymore, but wait I realize I need you in my life let's be friends again" storyline they did in S5 with Barney and Ted.

EXGN

Good episode, but the Robin baiting is driving me nuts - both the end of this episode and the end of the other one where they reaffirmed their 40-year-old pledge. Pretty sure at this point they are just trying to make it less obvious that Barney and Robin get together, but it's just annoying to me.

fisheyes

StuBurns said:
The only real issue with Barney's sister is it's pretty obvious. It's a catch 22, they can't do the Lost thing of a complete mind fuck, because she has to be someone who is meaningful without selling her to the audience for lots of episodes, but she has to be surprising enough to feel it's warranted the mystery.

They can claim he's going to meet her at the wedding, but they've mislead the audience lots of times, there's no real reason to imagine the show will reveal her any time soon.

I'm still convinced that when they do final show Barney's wedding - hopefully no later than the end of this season - there will be more than one girl (I'm thinking 3) presented that Ted likes. One will probably be Barney's sister.
One might be a friend of the bride (whether that is Robin or Nora or whoever - this could explain why Ted is called to the bride's room, maybe its not the obvious answer of Robin, maybe the bride wants to set Ted up with her friend or something)

Then, you spend the rest of the series with Ted bouncing through the 3 women, trying to work out who to choose. This way, you can build up each of the possible mothers into characters, so that the audience will actually care about them when its finally revealed they are the mother.

ConfusingJazz said:
That would be pretty bad ass. The whole story has taken place in context of a hostage negotiation, and he just trying to justify what he just did to his victims. The last scene is Swat bursting through the living room and a muzzle flash as future Ted is shot.

There would definitely be some strange satisfaction if this was how they ended the show.

Soakedjunk said:
There would definitely be some strange satisfaction if this was how they ended the show.

Also, Ted's mind fractured years ago, his friends are just hallucinatory representatives of the different facets of his personality and his different desires.

oatmeal

Banned
I liked every time the conversation would go to Lilly's boobs, Robin would cut in and say something and Ted would repeat it and we were back into the story.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Also, Ted's mind fractured years ago, his friends are just hallucinatory representatives of the different facets of his personality and his different desires.
Marshall and Lily is the happy marriage he never had. Barney is the womanizer Ted wishes he could be. Robin represents all the girls who friendzoned him.

eastmen

Banned
oatmeal said:
BUt we KNOW he doesn't end up with her...so it's just a waste of time.

She's "Aunt Robin"...

Is it ? If it is then everything on the show is a waste of time from the first epsiode .

THe only character left that Ted needs closure with is Robin . Once he gets that he can meet the mother.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Robin is the mother of one of the children.
She is an aunt to the other one.
Boom.

LukeSmith

This was the first good episode of this show in some time. The mother threads are always the most interesting, or the episodes that sort of point toward that (like this one). The random crap where Barney is doing a skit in the 18th century is the pap this show needs to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom