• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How I Met Your Mother Season 7 |OT| Weddings guaranteed, The Mother...not so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Veidt said:
Robin is the mother of one of the children.
She is an aunt to the other one.
Boom.

But he says "Kids, this is how I met your mother."

That is implying that it is one woman who is the mother to both children.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Kids, this is how I met your mother....[insert name of one of the children]. Sounds totally like something the writers of this show would come up with.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Marshall and Lily is the happy marriage he never had. Barney is the womanizer Ted wishes he could be. Robin represents all the girls who friendzoned him.

Man, we have turned this sitcom into an Emmy-award winning psychodrama.

Quick

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
Marshall and Lily is the happy marriage he never had. Barney is the womanizer Ted wishes he could be. Robin represents all the girls who friendzoned him.

Well, shit.

tumblr_lkeak5u6Dj1qeozcc.gif

McNei1y

Not a bad start to the season. Just watched the three episodes and I've enjoyed each. I was surprised to see Victoria again and she still looks good. I knew it was going to be a lame thing, especially the end, but it was still cool (i did love the Barney v Lily thing). Its hard to care, especially now, when we know Ted's wife is that one girls roommate (thats what they said right?).

Anyways, good stuff.

hiro4

In shows there is always that one girl, that you like, like really like! Until she starts complaining about your friends and that you have to choose between her or her friends. It is just lazy writing and annoying.

And they almost did it with Victoria when she started talking about the "connection" Ted has with Robin. And how weird it is that he hangs out with Robin and Barney every day. Oh what about Marshall and Lily? Is that weird too?

I really liked the episode, even with the ShinJitsu stuff, but damn. The ending. Why?! They really needed to get rid of her didn't they. In my mind, she will be the mother.

saunderez

hiro4 said:
In shows there is always that one girl, that you like, like really like! Until she starts complaining about your friends and that you have to choose between her or her friends. It is just lazy writing and annoying.
Sounds like reality to me. I've had a few relationships go sour because my girlfriend couldn't deal with my female friends.

I've been rewatching season 6 since I got the DVD set yesterday, and I have to say that the triple threat of Bad News/Last Words/Oh Honey back-to-back-to-back is probably the best work How I Met Your Mother has done on an emotional level. Those three episodes are pretty flawless storytelling, regardless of the rest of the season.

Also, Nora is really freaking hot.

Tizoc

Oh man this ep. was insanely hilarious XD
Are there any GIFs of this ep.? There are some awesome moments.

hiro4 said:
And they almost did it with Victoria when she started talking about the "connection" Ted has with Robin. And how weird it is that he hangs out with Robin and Barney every day. Oh what about Marshall and Lily? Is that weird too?
I think you missed the point.

I, myself, cannot picture myself still hanging out with an ex-girlfriend. The awkwardness would be added by the fact that a good friend of mine had chemistry with her and later dated her. It's all good in sitcom purposes, but can you see yourself hanging with an ex-girlfriend and her other ex-boyfriend everyday?

Lone_Prodigy said:
Marshall and Lily is the happy marriage he never had. Barney is the womanizer Ted wishes he could be. Robin represents all the girls who friendzoned him
Holy shit. Holy shit.

Jasoco

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
This is the best analyzation I've ever seen. I totally wish this was how it ended. Like that episode of Deep Space Nine where it turns out Sisko is imagining all of the series while he's in a mental hospital. It should all end with Ted alone in a cell in an insane asylum after some sort of crime because he couldn't find "the one" girl for him. At the end he says "And that, kids, is how I met your mother. Cut to him talking to some figures he made out of his mattress to resemble his children.

Shit.. they'll never do it, but it does make you think about it a totally different way.

Tizoc

BigAT said:
This video contains content from FOX, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that.
Try DLing it using Keepvid.com or such.
If not eh, I might upload it on MU or something.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lmao, Barney's hustle killed me. Love it when they have his character like this, just like Bender in Futurama it's the best type to have in a show

big ander

Decently funny ep tonight. A lot more bare plot-wise compared to the past few episodes, but the Cold Call 5000 picks up some of that slack.

Barney wearing the duck tie was my favorite part of the episode. Wonder if they'll really go through with it for the whole season (I hope so.)

fisheyes

I know its an incredibly minor thing to nitpick, but did anyone else feel it was a bit 'off' to have a flashforward (with future Ted narration) when the whole story was being framed with Robin telling a story to the psychiatrist? Like I said, its incredibly minor, but it didn't make sense.

celebi23

fisheyes said:
I know its an incredibly minor thing to nitpick, but did anyone else feel it was a bit 'off' to have a flashforward (with future Ted narration) when the whole story was being framed with Robin telling a story to the psychiatrist? Like I said, its incredibly minor, but it didn't make sense.
Yep, it was just a bit weird. Unless, it's from Ted's point of view of Robin talking the psychiatrist? It just doesn't make sense. Decent episode regardless.

maharg

idspispopd
It's always Ted telling the story, so Ted was telling a story about Robin telling a story.

That kind of meta is what makes this show great, imo.

StuBurns

Banned
I enjoyed this episode, not quite as much as last week though. Having Robin be the narrator was cool, I've been waiting for a real subject jump one week, for a future Robin or someone actually tell the story directly, after this long it seems like a nice middle ground. I half want the show to end with Ted telling the kids the story, then to pullout again and have one of the kids be telling their children how their grandad met their grandma.

nubbe

That's pretty sweet.

"Now when you have heard about all the chick your granddad fucked... want to hear about all the dudes you grandma fucked?"

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PhoncipleBone said:
Oh, god. The sites linked on the side of the site. canadiansexacts.org[url](made it no....com"]http://www.howimetyourmotherarchive.com

Torquill

"So kids. I apologize for not being there for you growing up. When you showed up at my doorstep fully grown I promised to tell you how I met your mother. NOw that I've gone through every woman I've ever slept with by process of elimination, I've covered your mom."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
fisheyes said:

Same.

But yeah, still a funny episode.

Slime

Banned
Nerdy question: has Ted ever "met" Nora? I vaguely remember a scene where they were sitting at the same table at MacLaren's in one episode but never actually speaking. I've suspected her to be the mother since she was introduced for a number of admittedly silly reasons, but I still find it interesting that she's been among the group and yet the two have never truly shared a scene (at least from what I can remember). It happened again last night when they were all at their table, minus Ted. Granted, there have been a lot of characters who haven't interacted and that doesn't mean shit, but tinfoil hats and all that.

And yeah, the random Ted narration seemed like a weird inconsistency to me as well.

Tizoc

Hmm seeing the duckie tie in this ep. made me rewatch ep. 11 of Season 6 and in it, Barney ISN'T wearing the Duckie Tie. Sorry if this was already mentioned BTW.

maharg

idspispopd
Tizoc said:
Hmm seeing the duckie tie in this ep. made me rewatch ep. 11 of Season 6 and in it, Barney ISN'T wearing the Duckie Tie. Sorry if this was already mentioned BTW.

Yeah, the ducky tie basically means Barney's wedding can't be any time before the end of this season, since the bet was for him to wear it for a year. They comment on it in 7x01. "At least it's not the ducky tie".

Slime said:
Nerdy question: has Ted ever "met" Nora? I vaguely remember a scene where they were sitting at the same table at MacLaren's in one episode but never actually speaking. I've suspected her to be the mother since she was introduced for a number of admittedly silly reasons, but I still find it interesting that she's been among the group and yet the two have never truly shared a scene (at least from what I can remember). It happened again last night when they were all at their table, minus Ted. Granted, there have been a lot of characters who haven't interacted and that doesn't mean shit, but tinfoil hats and all that.

And yeah, the random Ted narration seemed like a weird inconsistency to me as well.
I've never noticed.

That would just add to the awkwardness. Ted dated Robin. Barney dated Robin. Now Barney dated Nora and Ted dated Nora. Ted and Barney might as well look out for a threesome if this trend continues.

Slime said:

I think they met in McLaren's, when they threatened to beat Barney if he lied to Nora.

EDIT: Yeah, the episode when everyone checks out their heart health, Barney has a small heart attack when Lily punches him in the chest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The mother is not Nora. It doesn't matter if Ted has met her or not, he mentioned her multiple times just by calling her Nora (and not "your mom"), and she works with Robin (which would have probably popped up earlier among the other hints).

fisheyes

Tizoc said:

Cop out answer is 'unreliable narrator' - if Ted struggles to remember everything else in that episode, chances are he wouldn't remember what tie Barney was wearing. Would have been neat if they actually had it there, though.

maharg said:
Yeah, the ducky tie basically means Barney's wedding can't be any time before the end of this season, since the bet was for him to wear it for a year. They comment on it in 7x01. "At least it's not the ducky tie".

Not really. Barney could have made some bargain or something to not wear the ducky tie at his wedding - hence the 'at least its not the ducky tie', perhaps.

Zomba13

spindashing said:
I think you missed the point.

I, myself, cannot picture myself still hanging out with an ex-girlfriend. The awkwardness would be added by the fact that a good friend of mine had chemistry with her and later dated her. It's all good in sitcom purposes, but can you see yourself hanging with an ex-girlfriend and her other ex-boyfriend everyday?

Holy shit. Holy shit.
Gets even more awkward when he decides not to tell you when he's started seeing her and you find out from other people =/

the mother is not NORA. the mother is someone in the class when Ted taught that big class in school and he was going to point her out in the class before the story got interrupted

planar1280 said:
the mother is not NORA. the mother is someone in the class when Ted taught that big class in school and he was going to point her out in the class before the story got interrupted

The class looks different from when he first made the statement, it is smaller..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom