• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Sony putting a $1000-1800 component in a sub$500 console?

I mean, even though they sold a DVD-player-containing PS2 for $300 (when the average player was $400), the gap now is a lot bigger.

Also, Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 price five months before release. Sony has yet to do that. They're lying about a Spring 06 release date?

Teddman

The short answer is that these are the two questions Sony is asking themselves right now. They are masters of promise big, figure out how to deliver later...

xsarien

daedsiluap
thinkjose1 said:
How is Sony putting a $1000-1800 component in a sub$500 console?

Because initially selling consoles at a loss has been the model for the industry for over 10 years.

Yes, but that is one component. That isn't including the Cell, expensive ram, Nvidia graphics chip, etc. the loss has never been that big.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Speculation puts the cost of the Blu-Ray drive at around $100 for Sony. It doesn't cost them anywhere near $1,000.

First of all, they only have to include the transport, the rest is done by cheap software. A stand alone Blu-Ray player has it's own power supply, remote control, and a bunch of pretty powerful dedicated circuitry to decode the discs, execute the menus, etc.

Second of all, the transport in the PS3 will be a cheap piece of crap compared to what they put in a $1000 dedicated player.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
thinkjose1 said:
I mean, even though they sold a DVD-player-containing PS2 for $300 (when the average player was $400), the gap now is a lot bigger.

There were DVD players out there for $1000-$1800 when PS2 was released ;)

You can't draw a line between these prices and the cost for Sony to put a drive into PS3.

thinkjose1 said:
Yes, but that is one component. That isn't including the Cell, expensive ram, Nvidia graphics chip, etc. the loss has never been that big.

These things also allow them to cut out a lot of stuff that's in the Blu-ray players you're comparing PS3 to.

I'm sure Sony's pleased you're making the comparison, though :D

BioFan

as a consumer and a gamer, I dont care how much Sony is gonna lose, as long as I get my PS3 at the cheapest price possible... :D
come on sony, shock us...

Elios83

Because the CE companies simply rape their early adopters with prices much higher than the value of their product.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This "$400 for a DVD player when PS2 launched" stuff is absurd. My family bought a DVD player in December, 1999, with two DVDs, for $249. And the prices were falling like CRAZY shortly after that.

Anyway, it'll probably launch at $400, and people will go HOLY SHIT WHAT A BARGAIN and buy it based on perceived value. They pay a lot less than "retail" for their components, so $1400 worth of stuff is probably largely off base.

Whatever, if the games are good, I'll buy it. I don't forsee owning a 1080P TV for many, many years, so super high def movies is of little interest to me.

Borys

Banned
As I said countless times before (and I'm a "Sfag" if you will): nothing is set in stone for the PLAYSTATION 3 yet.

That means price and that means (IMO only) including or not the BR player. I can see Sony dropping it to keep the costs low though that wouldn't be the smartest move to make.

My guess (wish): $399 without the HDD but with Wi-Fi and BR player.

madara

Part of that price has to be early adoptor raping, you know the usual for HT gear so dont panic too much yet.

qirex

Because it's not $800-1000 worth of hardware? Remember, Sony makes this stuff for themselves. The actual Blu-Ray disc and laser mechanism probably isn't that expensive at all and they have the Cell and RSX to do all the decoding and scaling. They have a single-chip solution for network, wi-fi and Bluetooth. They don't have to pay license fees for Blu-Ray and they also get a discount on the DVD license because they're part of the DVD consortium. Plus when you buy things from outside vendors in lots of 5 million+ you usually get a pretty kicking discount.

White Man

Lambtron said:
This "$400 for a DVD player when PS2 launched" stuff is absurd. My family bought a DVD player in December, 1999, with two DVDs, for $249. And the prices were falling like CRAZY shortly after that.

I got my DVD player in early 2000 for 99 bucks. It wasn't a super awesome one, but it had a healthy number of features, and it's still used to this day.

Deg

Banned
Remember these first players are high end products. Right now the Blu ray companies want to get this because Blu ray has the best specs. Its a high profit segment and also the ost cutting edge segment. There will be people paying a fortune for the equipment. The $1600 Player has a ton of extras to go with it too like 1080p dvd and media networking, it will be marketed alongside their 50" 1080p plasma. Many of these products arent even intended to sold to home users yet. Its early days.

element

I bought my DVD player in 1998 and it was only $300. Your numbers are off.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Deg said:
Remember these first players are high end products. Right now the Blu ray companies want to get this because Blu ray has the best specs. Its a high profit segment and also the ost cutting edge segment. There will be people paying a fortune for the equipment. The $1600 Player has a ton of extras to go with it too like 1080p dvd and media networking, it will be marketed alongside their 50" 1080p plasma. Many of these products arent even intended to sold to home users yet. Its early days.

I agree with all that you say - there's certainly a market there right now that's more than willing to pay these prices starting off - but about spec, PS3 does offer 1080p playback. These players do offer extras, of course, but one's gotta think the Samsung player will drop in price for example (offers 720p/1080i out).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thinkjose1 said:
Also, Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 price five months before release. Sony has yet to do that. They're lying about a Spring 06 release date?
Check your facts. MS announced Xbox 360 price mid-August, 2005, only 3 months before release. And Sony has a track record of cutting it much closer in terms of pricing announcements.

Joe

$70 games, $30 movies?

is there any word on how much blu-ray and/or hd-dvd movies will cost?

teepo

Lambtron said:

no, you must have bought a divx player.

koam

The real question is why would someone buy a standalone instead of getting a PS3 and waiting for pricedrops?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Joe said:
$70 games, $30 movies?

Not yet, except that for Blu-ray at least there'll be a premium over DVD, which is to be expected. Apparently we'll get Blu-ray pricing in the next couple of weeks.

Deg

Banned
gofreak said:
I agree with all that you say - there's certainly a market there right now that's more than willing to pay these prices starting off - but about spec, PS3 does offer 1080p playback. These players do offer extras, of course, but one's gotta think the Samsung player will drop in price for example (offers 720p/1080i out).

Yeah companies like Samsung and Panasonic will be doing the most reasonable prices. Panasonic and Philips are rather quiet so far. As is Sharp. Pc drives will be here by March.

Kasra

Banned
I got my first DVD player shortly after the Dreamcast came out and it was less than 100 bucks.

So no, it didn't cost Sony a lot to put a DVD player into the PS2.

If I can buy a new stand alone Blu Ray player at retail for 100 bucks on the day the PS3 launches, I'll eat my shoe.

Bebpo

Banned
As has already been said. Unlike with dvd, Blu-Ray IS SONY. They don't have to pay tons of royalties on the parts and they can make everything in-house for cheap. Also as has been said, those $1000 players probably cost like $50 to manufacture and are just $1000 to recoup on R&D and royalties.

Zen

Banned
Joe said:
$70 games, $30 movies?

If the price of the single disc upped the price of movies and games by that much, frankly the technology would never have been adopted. There's no real expense difference between and HD-DVD and a BR-DVD, it essentially amounts to cents, and both companuies are well on track to attaining DVD level costs of production.

Mashing

koam said:
The real question is why would someone buy a standalone instead of getting a PS3 and waiting for pricedrops?

Because the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is probalby going to be half-assed (i.e. PS2/Xbox dvd drive). A standalone player will ALWAYS outperform an integrated one.

Bebpo

Banned
Standalone will probably have:
--Better remote
--More features (FF/RW speeds, zoom, slo-mo, etc....)
--Recordability (big feature)

But since they're both using HDMI output the image quality should be identical.

Deg

Banned
Bebpo said:
But since they're both using HDMI output the image quality should be identical.

I doubt it. But it depends on RSX. The best will probably be the Pioneer out of the ones announced so far.

turtle553

Mashing said:
Because the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is probalby going to be half-assed (i.e. PS2/Xbox dvd drive). A standalone player will ALWAYS outperform an integrated one.

But a big reason the PS2 DVD wasn't as good is because of the digital-analog converter. If everything is all digital, there should be less/no difference in quality.

Miguel

DVD Players were around the 200-300 range when PS2 launched IIRC... I'm sure there were some cheaper, I'm sure there were some more expensive, but the average DVD player was around the price of PS3. I almost had my dad convinced of getting a 2nd PS2 for the living room because the DVD player prices were pretty similar. I failed, as he didn't see a need for a DVD player (3 months later he went out and bought a 550 dollar 5 DISC DVD player (only uses it to play music CDs...*confused*).

Anyway, early adoptors ftw! I'll probably buy one BRD movie at launch (Probably the Matrix Trilogy or something), just to have something to show off :p.

HDD or not, 399 I think will be the price.

Mashing

turtle553 said:
But a big reason the PS2 DVD wasn't as good is because of the digital-analog converter. If everything is all digital, there should be less/no difference in quality.

I hope that is the case here... I really do. I hate having to buy a standalone device if I already have one thats integrated (I'm willing to stand for "good enough"... it doesn't have to be outstanding).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mashing said:
I hope that is the case here... I really do. I hate having to buy a standalone device if I already have one thats integrated (I'm willing to stand for "good enough"... it doesn't have to be outstanding).

cessn04Red.jpg

Fully Software-Decoded BD Player Driven by Cell Processor

High Quality Image Processing Driven by RSX Graphics Processor

1080p/60 12bit Color HDMI Output

32bit Floating Point Color Processing

32bit Floating Point Audio Processing

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if with managed copy it'll be possible to copy movies onto a PS3 HDD - and then, for example, allow one person to watch a movie on one screen while another plays a game on another. I doubt that'd be a feature right off the bat, but it might be nice at some point, (for some anyway!)..

SKOPE

Just like Microsoft with the original Xbox, expect Sony to take huge losses on the PS3 in an attempt to establish Blu-ray as the successor to DVD.

golem

I'm thinking Sony told the other manufacturers, hey dont bother making any entry level players, because the PS3 will rule that market. I bet if you want cheap Blu Ray you're going to have to buy PS3.

Top Bottom