• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Sony putting a $1000-1800 component in a sub$500 console?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
kaching said:
By the logic you're using to include portables, you should certainly include PSOne and N64 when discussing what the PS2 launched against.
No, to keep it fair I didn't include PS2, GC and xBox sales. And I still think my point is valid: same amount of money in customer hands, to be spent on much more gaming platforms.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
marc^o^ said:
No, to keep it fair I didn't include PS2, GC and xBox sales.
How is that "fair"?

And I still think my point is valid: same amount of money in customer hands, to be spent on much more gaming platforms.
I don't see where you've clearly established anywhere that customers aren't increasing the amount of money they're willing to spend on game platforms. I already showed evidence to the contrary.

kaching said:
You also need to account for how the market may have changed though, whether they are willing to pay more than they were 5 or 10 yrs ago. All indications suggest they are since the PS2 has sold significantly faster than the PSOne while not dropping in price as quickly. The PS2 still hasn't hit the $99 pricepoint yet has almost caught up to PSOne LTD sales.

PS2 has long since passed by PSOne LTD sales (and by long since, I mean in the past couple of months :D ). At the end of this month we'll get updated shipment numbers for PS2 and PSP. Which really, really ought to burn up the Nintendo fans, when they claim 15M units shipped ;).

marc^o^

kaching said:
How is that "fair"?

I don't see where you've clearly established anywhere that customers aren't increasing the amount of money they're willing to spend on game platforms. I already showed evidence to the contrary.
By "fair" I meant to "make the same comparisons". PS2 sold more than the PSOne, but when you look at the economy now, it's globally not as bright as it used to be. Hardcore gamers will always find the money to buy expensive consoles. But what about casual gamers? Would they buy a $500 machine while they'd have great alternatives at a lesser price? We have no idea how things will turn out. Analyst depict a rosy future for the PS3 because they look at the previous model. But models change. Economists and analysts are often wrong because of that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:
PS2 has long since passed by PSOne LTD sales (and by long since, I mean in the past couple of months :D ).
Thanks - wasn't sure of the current status, so I figured I'd play it conservative since it would still be instrumental to the point I wanted to make.

marc^o^, I'm not talking about hardcore gamers...something like 100 million PS2s have been sold faster at a higher average price than the PSOne. That indicates consumers on average are willing to spend more on a gaming platform than they previously were. How much more they might be willing to spend is certainly a subject for debate, but you weren't even originally factoring in how consumer spending might have changed towards this category.

marc^o^

You're right and I stand corrected on this. There are so many factors to take into account that our guesses are not worth much anyway. This is also why I think Sony is taking a huge bet. They have invested in bloddy high tech technologies that will HAVE to sell like hotcakes to achieve ROI. And they took this risk while the competition is the fiercest. We said Nintendo had balls to release products such as DS and Revolution. Well my friend, let me recognize Sony has some serious balls too. :)

Excelion

Banned
sonycowboy said:
PS2 has long since passed by PSOne LTD sales (and by long since, I mean in the past couple of months :D ). At the end of this month we'll get updated shipment numbers for PS2 and PSP. Which really, really ought to burn up the Nintendo fans, when they claim 15M units shipped ;).

not according to Sony: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/index_e.html

PS1 last numbers: 2005/09/30 102.49 million units (Japan: 21.59 million/ USA: 40.78 million/ Europe: 40.12 million)
PS2: 2005/11/29 100.01 million units (Japan: 22.22 million/ USA: 40.65 million/ Europe: 37.14 million)

Pimpwerx

For the BD drive to cost $100, like 90% of that has to be the laser. Decoding and controller logic are handled by Cell and RSX. The spindle motor isn't exotic, and shouldn't need liquid bearing or anything (though I'll be honest and note that I haven't scoured the white papers for an actual rpm). The laser (lense assembly including laser and pickup) is the only thing that should be significantly different, as all optical drives are pretty damn modular. I don't have a BD drive in front of me, but the basic principles behind how these drives work hasn't changed since the first CDs hit the market back in the day. I honestly don't know how the cost of the drive consistently gets quoted as being around $100, when AFAIK, even the PS1 and PS2 never had greater drive costs than $50 at worst. Is that $100 factoring in the R&D, b/c I find it hard to believe that the cost of making an optical drive with the only major change being the laser housing would double. Prior manufacturing knowledge should be scaling the prices of all legacy components, which should be what most of the BD drive is made of. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

sonycowboy said:

Do you mean 14M? Last I heard, they bumped FY shipments from 12M->13M->14M. Did they increase that quantity yet again? PEACE.

sonycowboy said:

Well the stupid one who don't understand that shipped != sold yeah, But anyone who isn't a card short of a deck (I don't know) will tell you that Nintendo is outSELLING the PSP and will continue to do so.

Excelion said:
not according to Sony: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/index_e.html

PS1 last numbers: 2005/09/30 102.49 million units (Japan: 21.59 million/ USA: 40.78 million/ Europe: 40.12 million)
PS2: 2005/11/29 100.01 million units (Japan: 22.22 million/ USA: 40.65 million/ Europe: 37.14 million)

NPD and Screen Digest both have PS2 over PS1 in LTD sales. Not sure about Japan, but it's real close there.

Plus, you're using a month old numbers for the PS2. I'm quite positive that the shipped numbers reported later this month will put it ahead there as well.

Top Bottom