• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much credit card debt do you guys have right now?

Nester99

-$200 on Wellsfargo
-$150 on Chase saphire (preffered?) I dont recall or maybe capital one
-$150 on Capital one

Those sign up bonuses are neat! Though now I gotta do monthly homework to meet minimum requirements including transactions

Other than that, yeah on average 3k a month total among all cards, I just pay it all off every term.

If you pay it off every term you don’t have credit card debt....

bucyou

you use the cards for the bonus points and pay full balance every month. if you do not do that, you are fucking up bad

Bombolone

Gold Member
None. Don't do credit cards.
Reading about how to effectively use a credit card has me interested though. Might go visit a bank sometime.

$0. I have a 25k student loan and a mortgage. 2 cars paid off. No other debt. If debt were a drug and credit cards would be heroin.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
None if you mean after the due date. I like to keep it that way, not paying credit card interest.
$500 if you mean before the due date.

lock2k

Banned
I try to keep it at 0 but it is getting harder and harder for me to do that.

None.

I hate credit cards.

I did have to pay some stuff in installments but they were very low without interest and I already finished paying them. I don't earn a lot, I know, but at least I live with tranquility.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Why do they make it mandatory ?

It's not mandatory in a formal sense, but it's in general how the system and the economy works. The result is that most people are not able to be debt-free until the later stages of their lives:

Numbers in percent, household debt compared to income
tAt6YXC.png

SafeOrAlone

Banned
-$1.08

I returned something.

Initially, I got it to boost my credit score. Now I feel like I've wasted many years forgoing credit card benefits, such as cash back. A credit card is not a tool for a fool, but a savvy spender can benefit greatly.

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
Unfortunately i have some credit card debt but i am planing to pay it off till new year and then i will cancel it and will never get one.

You all are lucky,

I am at about total - 4-5k in debt. Due to my ex wife, it could of been much worse though, most of that was from Care credit which was what we used to pay for doctors and dentist visits before we had insurance.
I also have l playstation card, firestone card and a best buy card which actually is the lowest. I did pay off my student loans from 2006 though, so there is that.

Must be nice to make good money. It's hard being working class earning 40k a year, but I guess it could always be worse.

Last edited:

Kayoba

Thankfully, I don't have any debts.

I used to have a debt from attending a two year HVE programme, but I paid all of it when I got my first paycheck.

About £1000 left to pay. My water supplier claimed that I used +£6900 worth of water over a short span of time - apparently using at least 6000 bath tubs of water per day. They demanded that I paid the full amount up right or go to court. Obviously, I wasn't paying that bullshit and had it taken to court. Got the bill and whole years bill completely cancelled because I don't live in a fucking aquarium, but I still had to pay the courts nearly a grand in fees.

I’ll be 35 on the 15th and I’ve never had one. I’ve paid for everything in cash basically. Luckily my house was inherited but I also make decent money and my only debt is my car payment but I have more than enough cash to pay it off. I’m terrified of credit cards after watching my brother be an idiot with them time and time again.

I’ll be 35 on the 15th and I’ve never had one. I’ve paid for everything in cash basically. Luckily my house was inherited but I also make decent money and my only debt is my car payment but I have more than enough cash to pay it off. I’m terrified of credit cards after watching my brother be an idiot with them time and time again.
Hell yeah. Made it this far, keep going. Fuck CC's.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I try to put all my charges on my card (even things like utilities) because it's easier to dispute with my card company than with the bank or paid cash and also because I get rewards points (amazon) for every dollar spent. Also tends to keep my credit rating active.

But I do pay it down to $00 every month and don't think I've ever paid interest.

Susurrus

I thought Europe is a continent.

True, but the EU might as well be a country made up of states at this point. No borders, open customs, shared money for most of it. When I was living in Germany, the only thing that crossing the border meant was the languag (sometimes, or language would change within the country) or speed limits. Granted, I'm not into their politics and how it all works, but it really felt like it was a similar concept to the US how each state has its own thing going and then the country governs it from the top. Just replace state with member country and country with EU. They're even about the same size...

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
True, but the EU might as well be a country made up of states at this point. No borders, open customs, shared money for most of it. When I was living in Germany, the only thing that crossing the border meant was the languag (sometimes, or language would change within the country) or speed limits. Granted, I'm not into their politics and how it all works, but it really felt like it was a similar concept to the US how each state has its own thing going and then the country governs it from the top. Just replace state with member country and country with EU. They're even about the same size...

Wouldn't it make sense if you all learn one common language so then it'd be much easier to move to different parts and immediately integrate in the area and work?? All these different languages seem like a big barrier preventing eu from reaching its potential. Also can you own property in different member states and visit and live there anytime you want as long as you want??

I try to put all my charges on my card (even things like utilities) because it's easier to dispute with my card company than with the bank or paid cash and also because I get rewards points (amazon) for every dollar spent. Also tends to keep my credit rating active.

But I do pay it down to $00 every month and don't think I've ever paid interest.
LEARN THIS 1 TRICK. Credit Card companies hate him!!!

Garibaldi

Got about £4k in total on what could be big interest bearing credit if I didn't manage it. Food and fuel goes on the credit card which is paid every month automatically. My Paypal Credit is currently at about £3.5K, for the PC I'm building. That'll be clear in a week (0% interest) after my share sale is finalised. Got the mortgage on 1.6% (about 100k remaining), the car on 2.3% (15k remaining) and a motorbike on 3.2% (5k remaining).

I don't get this fear of credit people have. Manage your budgets and make purchases intelligently based on research.

notseqi

I thought Europe is a continent.
Sorry, I meant Africa best country. Of course Europe is a continent.

edit:
Wouldn't it make sense if you all learn one common language so then it'd be much easier to move to different parts and immediately integrate in the area and work?? All these different languages seem like a big barrier preventing eu from reaching its potential. Also can you own property in different member states and visit and live there anytime you want as long as you want??
We kinda do speak a common language, most people are at least bilingual, though it's not always the same language you have in common with somebody else.

You can own property in other countries, the Schengen-Area (borderless parts of Europe) makes it easier as you can live where you want but the laws are not the same everywhere - you still have to observe local customs.

Last edited:

Moomalade74

Banned
I've got about £6,000 across two cards. One is interest free until next year so not too worried about that one yet.
Over all I have four cards with a combined limit of £37,000 so I think I'm doing ok!

Mohonky

Depends on when you ask me.

I use my credit card for all purchases. My bank account basically looks like

Savings = $100
Credit = up to $3000 credit, usually between 2000 and 3000 somewhere available
Long Term Saving = XXXXX

I purchase everything with credit card / paypal linked to credit card
When I get paid from work every fortnight I take whatever is owing on my credit card and get my card back to $3k available, what is left I make sure I have $100 in my savings account and any surplus goes into the Long Term Saving account.

I've been doing that for years now and my Long Term Savings account I don't touch so it's accruing me bonus interest and just putting surplus in everytime has seen it grow quite well.

Last edited:
I have zero debt.
Debt is bad, you'll get knocked the fuck out if you have debt. Cuz your mouth's writing checks that your ass can't cash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom