• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old are you?

your age

• 20-25

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 44 18.7%
  • 30-35

Votes: 79 33.6%
  • 35-40

Votes: 50 21.3%
  • 40-50

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • 50-70

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Old enough to still vividly remember the news coverage of the Chernobyl disaster.

i was in 6th or 7th grade home room one day and they passed out a photocopy of a newspaper article. it described the coup that led to the fall of the Soviet Union. i had no idea what that meant, no idea what any of these countries it was talking about were like, but they pushed a lot of Cold War stuff bc my teachers were very much of that era. we did mock presidential debates and i did Bill Clinton, i think i talked about health care, lol, what a fucking joke. we still don't have it. =-p i remember one kid had the thumb-on-the-clenched-fist thing down pat, he had obviously studied Daryl Hammond's masterful portrayal. that era of SNL - Sandler, Farley, Hartman, Myers, etc. - is my GOAT.

when the OJ verdict was delivered i was in high school and we watched it live. it was the first time every room had a tv. at some point they had us watch Chanel One, which was an educational news channel. i think some of the people on that are in legit news media now lol.

growing up in the 90s was great. i was into BBSes and DOOM mods (Aliens TC was the ultimate) before there was even AOL. we had a SNES and spent at least half our days in the woods, exploring the creek, getting fresh air & exercise. nowadays of course i can't imagine anyone letting their kid leave the house for hours at a time but times were different then.

the media was definitely crazy violent and misogynistic. i remember random rapes happening all the time in movies and tv shows. of course it was the prime era of the 80s horror flick. that stuff always scared me, but i couldn't help wandering the isle of the video rental stores and look at all the crazy surreal VHS box art.

Last edited:
Old enough to still vividly remember the news coverage of the Chernobyl disaster.

Monica Lewinsky, Columbine and 9/11 are the earliest major news stories I can vividly remember, although I have vague memories of OJ.

What's funny about Monica Lewinsky is I was only 8 and was asking my parents what "oral sex" was.

The first celebrity death I heard about when it first happened was Chris Farley.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
In a few months i will become death, destroyer of worlds.

No, wait, wrong reference.

I will be the answer.
To life, the universe, and everything.

lock2k

Banned

I don't hate aging, per se, but I hate the passage of time.

It's complicated and I don't know how to explain it.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's good to know that I can humor with people potentially 20 years older than me like they're my contemporaries. Y'all keep us going :messenger_bicep:
We’re young at heart, cool and full of wisdom 😎

Someone needs to keep the youth on the straight and narrow. Too much crazy nowadays.

I’m not sure if that’s ever going to change. 32 here. It’s kinda weird. I mean obviously you grew as a person but I still have this “childish” mindset in a way. Maybe that’s how it works 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe but I would say it is more due to my disability more than anything (Aspergers). I don't feel like I have grown as a person as my day has stayed the same for 9 years now.

Me too. Brb listening to some blink-182.

Damn. I was about 11 when they were a thing! 😋

Elcid

Banned
Going to be 32 this year.

I was there for the release of the Atari, the assassination of Lennon, the destruction of Lionel Playworld, Kay-Bee Toys, and Toys R Us alike. I pirated software on Usenet and started a lesbian chatroom on IRC when I was 13 thinking I was quite clever.

I was there for the Sierra and Lucasarts glory days of gaming and saw the evolution of learning from owning an Encyclopedia to having the worlds knowledge in my pocket.

I've seen the economy both healthy and sick. I've become and uncle and I've become a husband.

I'm currently sitting here on Gaf, good career, healthy relationship with family, happily married, living on the beach, money invested wisely, and focused on where to put my efforts next.

Looking back, I think I am content.
32 in the summer. The destruction of Lionel Playworld, that cut my chiildhood deep.

Top Bottom