• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Kingdom Hearts 3 be marketed considering most fans are in there 20s?

Ploid 3.0

wait how would they lose the rights to them if marvel is owned by Disney?

I'm talkina about Square not Disney. Also even if it was a Disney developed and published game they would still have to do paperwork to have all those IPs in one game with no restrictions.

Also Marvel is very strict on how their characters are handled and have to approve everything. That would add more headache to the development.

Taking a cursory glance at the internet, it became readily apparent that no one ever considers themselves "too old" for cartoons and anime.

luffxan

Put a remix of the KH2 menu song (pretty sure it was Dearly Beloved) in the trailer and they'll make everyone of their fans throw them money through their tears

Astral Dog

Star Wars will get the nerds, Frozen the little kids and horny teenagers, Original characters the Otakus, Princess and the frog the old "classic" Disney fans, Toy Story the Pixar fanboys. Final Fantasy the Lightning fandom.

Star Wars will get the nerds, Frozen the little kids and horny teenagers, Original characters the Otakus, Princess and the frog the old "classic" Disney fans, Toy Story the Pixar fanboys. Final Fantasy the Lightning fandom.

and then tie it all together with a story that alienates everyone except those weird people who pay close attention to Kingdom Hearts canon

120v

i'm pretty sure at least half of the people playing KH1 were in their 20s when it came out (me and my friends were, at least)

it's a non-issue. a lot of people are still playing pokemon into their 30s

Steroyd

They make a Frozen world with a rhythm mini game like Little Mermaid from KH2.

world with a rhythm mini game like Little Mermaid from KH2.

rhythm mini game like Little Mermaid from KH2.

IQggvBK.jpg

Truth be told, I was an adult teen when the first one dropped and I was surprised how many people my age went nuts for it until I played it and saw that it was one of the tightest action-rpgs that I had played since Vagrant Story.

When 2 showed up, I was surprised again that all these 20 somethings were still excited.

Too much young adult fiction is being taken seriously by middle aged people, these days for me to possibly be surprised by the number of 30 year olds that will go nuts for 3.

I doubt that they will even need to market to any older people. They will most likely will pull a Nintendo and ignore the older players with full knowledge that they already have all of the older players that they are going to get.

i'm pretty sure at least half of the people playing KH1 were in their 20s when it came out (me and my friends were, at least)

it's a non-issue. a lot of people are still playing pokemon into their 30s
So you're saying at least half of KH fans are nearing their 40s? Seems a bit hard to believe.

120v

So you're saying at least half of KH fans are nearing their 40s? Seems a bit hard to believe.

more like pushing mid-30s, but yea

KH1 came out around 2001, right? anecdotal and all but it seemed that general audience was late teens/early 20s, pretty much the same as the FFX audience. and this was back when it was known as "that disney rpg" so it had much more of a stigma then than it does now.

either way the audience of these games isn't going to be much different from people picking up FFXV. I really don't see an issue unless they go full bore advertising the newer disney stuff (frozen, tangled, ect, if they're in the game) but even then a lot of adults are into that because of their kids

yencid

I'm talkina about Square not Disney. Also even if it was a Disney developed and published game they would still have to do paperwork to have all those IPs in one game with no restrictions.

Also Marvel is very strict on how their characters are handled and have to approve everything. That would add more headache to the development.

obviously im not talking about disney losing their characters but square enix losing the rights to them.

What i meant was, why would they lose the character rights in two years when the kingdom hearts franchise is over 10 years old.

Ploid 3.0

obviously im not talking about disney losing their characters but square enix losing the rights to them.

What i meant was, why would they lose the character rights in two years when the kingdom hearts franchise is over 10 years old.

Marvel gaming licenses tend to not last long, they have a certain amount of time until they have to stop selling it. The longest that I know of is Marvel Heroes, and Gazillion considers themselves as a Marvel developer (I think the Gazillion CEO said that). It's A MMO and they have to be close with Marvel if they want to do anything. Brevik goes to a lot of the Marvel meetings, movie assets are given to his devs for the game, and they managed a 10 year contract which may have 6 to 5 years left. It seems like Marvel vs Capcom, a very popular Marvel game, had 2 years before they had to stop selling it. Deadpool seem to have had less. I bet they are so strict on their license because of what happened in the movie industry with Sony owning the rights to movie Spider Man universe, and Fox owning the movie rights to Marvel Mutants.

It just doesn't seem worth trying to get the Marvel license in a disney movies focused crossover. They could always renew the license if it runs out before the Disney and Starwars license, or just stop selling it if it isn't selling enough to be worth doing so.

Top Bottom