• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson to be closed completely on March 1, 2012

Leckan

I loved Bomberman on the SNES but they haven't made a good game in how long?

Also they made this abomination:

BombActZerobox.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I loved Bomberman on the SNES but they haven't made a good game in how long?
2006:
Kororinpa: Marble Mania

2007:
Omega Five
Mario Party 8

2008:
Star Soldier R
Alien Crush Returns
Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Arts

2009:
Marble Saga: Kororinpa

2010:
Lost in Shadow
Military Madness: Nectaris

As I showed above; very likely not!

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Are the IPs just there, floating around? I mean if no one owns them now, are they free or what?
Anyway, sad day indeed. Looks like the blue bomber has a new bomber friend in gaming heaven.

My first Bomberman game:
0front.jpg

Wish it'd gotten a PSN release ;(

RIP

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Lmao, don't worry, I'm sure Bomberman will reappear.
Konami owns the guy anyways.

This generation continues to depress.

Konami just needs to get around to throwing out compilations for their entire library, go out on a high note.

PokéKong

Castlevania is dead, so not really.

Oh Castlevania is dead now? I could've sworn there was a big successful console reboot/revival not too long ago, preceded by a handheld trio of games among the best in the series, plus a downloadable multiplayer compilation game.

If it were up to me, Konami would stick to cranking out Castlevania games and keep their hands out of anything else....... letting ZOE3 exist couldn't hurt either.

Speevy

Banned
PokéKong;34343211 said:
Oh Castlevania is dead now? I could've sworn there was a big successful console reboot/revival not too long ago, preceded by a handheld trio of games among the best in the series, plus a downloadable multiplayer compilation game.

If it were up to me, Konami would stick to cranking out Castlevania games and keep their hands out of anything else....... letting ZOE3 exist couldn't hurt either.

Did you just call Lords of Shadow successful?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Bomberman cameo in Super Smash Brothers: Mayhem

Actually, having Bomberman appear in an official Super Smash Bro. title would be fitting; it would reintroduce him to the world and help him garner some new and much needed appreciation.

herod

Didn't they only release a small handful of games on the HD twins?

Wouldn't it be the Wii claiming this victim since most of their software landed on that platform?

Maybe I read their games list wrong, but that's how it looked to me.

It's quite clear they couldn't scrape together a decent budget, and couldn't find a market on Wii. The high price of entry for HD development and thus the core market is what is killing developers everywhere.

Just to clarify: Hudson will not be closed, it will be merged to Konami Digital Entertainment. That is, Hudson's staff will become part of Konami's internal development team. The Hudson you have known has been gone for a year. The only thing that changes now is that their name is gone, the people are still there.

However, at Konami, a merger to Konami Digital Entertainment effectively means that you'll be doing Metal Gear, the occasional Castlevania, and music and mobile games for the rest of your life.

SMT

Just to clarify: Hudson will not be closed, it will be merged to Konami Digital Entertainment. That is, Hudson's staff will become part of Konami's internal development team. The Hudson you have known has been gone for a year. The only thing that changes now is that their name is gone, the people are still there.

However, at Konami, a merger to Konami Digital Entertainment effectively means that you'll be doing Metal Gear, the occasional Castlevania, and music and mobile games for the rest of your life.

I don't see this as bad, maybe we will get the occasional retro game every 5 years, and with new people in the mix, we can be assured it won't be stale.
Hudson-soft hasn't made a worthwhile game in a while, so breaking up the team should give the employees some new-found inspiration.

Takao

Banned
Nintendo should just overtake Konami at this stage or buy out the Hudson franchises.
Hudson was one of my fav devs. goddamnit

I'm sure KojiPro will love the transition to Nintendo only development...

Not surprising but still kind of sad. I enjoyed the occasional Bomberman game.

It actually is surprising. Hudson was a very profitable company and was doing well. Konami was just a bigger fish and decided to eat them

997794_172131_back.jpg

If Deca Sports 3DS is accurate, then Hudson kept their IPs. (right below the blonde dude kicking the ball).

So yes, Konami doesn't have them, so unless for some stupid reason they decided to keep them anyway, they can be grabbed.

Why are you using something from April? Why not use games they published the last few months:

PMkok.jpg

Notice the "Published by Konami" tag? Heck, here's the English version of that Deca Sports game (circa September 2011):

2bkXRm.jpg

Notice the "Published by Konami" tag? Yeah, Konami likely has their IPs.

Roto13

I need to buy a Bomberman game off of VC, which one? '94? Fuck, this is sad.

'93 and '94 are both great games. Get them both. Honestly, picking between them is like asking "What should I buy, Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?" :p

I know they're kind of misleading with their year titles that kind of implies they're like different yearly editions like sports games, but they're really not. :p

Boerseun

Banned
A Shadow's Tale/Lost in Shadow is my 2010 All-format Game of the Year. I also had great fun with Calling, a Fatal Frame-esque horror title on Wii. These guys will definitely be missed. Although, if we're going to stay optimistic, the possibility still exists that a competent publisher will pick up Hudson's intellectual properties and hopefully even throw a lifeline to the teams that worked there. Nintendo would be a perfect match, in my opinion.

Takao

Banned
I don't know why you guys think Konami hasn't purchased the IPs alongside Hudson. People are fleeing Hudson due to the takeover, so all Konami will likely have left are the IPs. Though, they don't seem to care too much given they cancelled (which means they likely own the IPs) most if not all of Hudson's slate.

Top Bottom