• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson to be closed completely on March 1, 2012

So. Who is going to take over the super adventure island ip? Can i buy it and pay someone to do a hd remake of super adventure island 2?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
FUCK KONAMI
So sad to see them go, I've been playing Hudson's games since Milon's Secret Castle and Adventure Island. Lots of great franchises and they were the driving force behind one of the most underrated systems of all time, the PC-Engine.

Momotaro Dentetsu :(
Adventure Island :(
Kororinpa :(
Bomberman :(
Bonk :(
Nectaris :(
Star Soldier :(
Tengai Makyou :( :( :( :( :(

But it's OK because we are living in the "golden age of gaming".

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
It's okay guys, we have six more Metal Gear Solid games coming out and the next Castlevania will be a third-person squad-based cover shooter.

The Golden Age of video games is awesome!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I enjoyed the new Nectaris that came out on Download services a few years back. But not the new Bomberman games... they really lost something compared to the SNES or Saturn versions... Omega Five was great though! I want more! *ahem* but anywho...

NOOOOO, HUDSON!

I don't see WHY the brand needs to be dissolved... does the name really carry no weight? All the awesome work they did in the 8 and 16 bit days... why not take a chance and make them a great digital-game label? Bah, why are they left to die? :(

(And it really is a mystery why Saturn Bomberman didn't get a proper modern-console port... such a fantastic game).

The Bonk Downloadable game's subtitle will always be a grim, unfortunate reminder of the fate of Hudson :( Argh.

Go well into the night, dear Bee. You will be fondly remembered, and I hope your legacy is taken care of by good hands! (hey, Vireland, I'd trust you with their legacy!)

test_account

XP-39C²
HD consoles claim another victim.
Indeed. This generation has been a disease.
There is no doubt that many studios have closed during the last 5 years, but how is this closure of Hudson related to HD consoles? As far as i know, Hudson never made a single HD game (unless you count those 2-3 XBLA/PSN releases). And if Hudson was profitable, then why would Konami shut them down?

But it is sad regardless to see Hudson being dead now :( I never had any big relations with their games, but i do remember several of their games from my younger days.

Takao

Banned
There is no doubt that many studios have closed during the last 5 years, but how is this closure of Hudson related to HD consoles? As far as i know, Hudson never made a single HD game (unless you count those 2-3 XBLA/PSN releases). And if Hudson was profitable, then why would Konami shut them down?

Hudson's death was longer than this generation, you can read up on some of it here.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Shifting market/market expectations?

This generation ("HD" or not) has just been the death knell for mid-sized developers. I won't absolve Hudson of all fault, of course, they probably could have restructured and made a success making smaller games.. and it seems they were testing those waters with some of their WiiWare stuff. But I guess they just couldn't make the switch (and thinking of it, which company HAS?).

I hope Konami dies.

f29Mi.gif

Negator

PokéKong;34343211 said:
Oh Castlevania is dead now? I could've sworn there was a big successful console reboot/revival not too long ago, preceded by a handheld trio of games among the best in the series, plus a downloadable multiplayer compilation game.

If it were up to me, Konami would stick to cranking out Castlevania games and keep their hands out of anything else....... letting ZOE3 exist couldn't hurt either.
There has been no sign of Castlevania on handhelds for years. I don't see any announcements for 3DS or Vita. A spinoff multiplayer Castlevania and a soulless outsourced game with a tacked on castlevania skin is hardly what I would call an IP with life.

Takao

Banned

This generation ("HD" or not) has just been the death knell for mid-sized developers. I won't absolve Hudson of all fault, of course, they probably could have restructured and made a success making smaller games.. and it seems they were testing those waters with some of their WiiWare stuff. But I guess they just couldn't make the switch (and thinking of it, which company HAS?).

Hudson actually was quite successful with their small games this generation, and had million sellers. It's Konami who decided to buy them to the point where they full control them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wow that sucks. I hope they aren't pulling the plug on Elemental Monster's server any time soon.

Need to get the platinum first.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Can't people make a petition to konami to keep Hudson alive?

People seem to be doing stuff like that for stuff they want.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hudson's death was longer than this generation, you can read up on some of it here.
Thanks for the link :)

Oh, like that, i understand. I thought you ment that the HD consoles themself were to blame directly somehow. But yeah, that is true, when the market goes forward in technology, it can get harder to make it and stay relevant, unfortunately.

I never was a HUGE Hudson fan, but I do have some good memories of playing their games as a kid.

I knew something was up when they cancelled Bonk for XBLA/PSN.

Damn you Capcom!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It was handed off to a sloppy, lazy Western developer, that's what happened.

The WiiWare version was internally developed though.

I actually liked the bits of marketing (Man in a Bomber suit, running around the office, asking questions), and details they mentioned about trying to get the right corner-movement and AI for Bomberman Live. I never got the idea they were lazy or even sloppy (I enjoyed Bomberman Live for what it was), I just get the idea they didn't have the same spark. I wanted grander music, happier personalities, more lively color, and they just kinda gave off a "meh..." feel.

Never got into the Wiiware one, though. Wish Wii had demos back then...

(Man, it'd be kinda cool if Sega somehow scooped up, and, y'know, DID stuff with bomberman. They do a good job of keeping a universes graphical wonder and beauty in modern gaming styles... )

konami can't die yet. they have to redeem themselves with a new suikoden, castlevania and gradius, snatcher and policenauts.

they still have some sane people left that can make good decisions, as seen at hard corps: uprising.

dacuk

Nintendo should just overtake Konami at this stage or buy out the Hudson franchises.
Hudson was one of my fav devs. goddamnit

Nah, I'd be happy if Nintendo buys the IP rights to Bomberman, Bonk and the Star Soldier family. That would be a great destiny for those franchises.

Depressing and yet more foolishness from Konami.

I guess at this point all that can be hoped for is some manner of quality/crazy fangames to manifest otherwise all the classic characters and whatnot will go forgotten and wasted.

Some kinda Hudson Multiverse Game in the spirit of, but not necessarily the genre, of Super Robot Wars would be swell!

Garcia

: ( ... Bye Hudson and thank you for Bomberman! I was replaying Bomberman Hero the other day. A sad moment for sure.

Edit: OMG Adventure Island, WHY!

Dammit! They were Jedi masters of 2D gaming, this is terrible. I feel like I could've done more to support their PC Engine/TG16 releases, though I did purchase most of them. It is too bad the only thing new this gen that appealed to me was the excellent Kororinpa series.

Dammit! They were Jedi masters of 2D gaming, this is terrible. I feel like I could've done more to support their PC Engine/TG16 releases, though I did purchase most of them. It is too bad the only thing new this gen that appealed to me was the excellent Kororinpa series.

Did you not try Lost In Shadow? It's made by the same team as the Kororinpa games, so at least you know it's going to be highly polished. The gameplay isn't anything mindblowing but it does feel pretty innovative at times with the way you have to use the shadows to interact with the environment, & at its core it's a solid, lengthy 2D platformer which oozes atmosphere and can be picked up for dirt cheap.

looks like my hopes of Nectaris / Military Madness on 3DS or any other platform are fucked. Or did I already reply in this thread before. Whatever :(

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So many folks complaining about the death of Bomberman.

So... if Konami releases Bomberman, and its good, will anyone continue to shed a tear for Hudson? Nintendo can find another company to churn out another Mario Party, and... that's it. No one is lamenting the Star Soldier games, or Nectaris, or any of the mostly forgettable games on the Wii.

I mean... Hudson's heyday was the TURBOGRAFX-16. That's 20 years ago, guys.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So many folks complaining about the death of Bomberman.

So... if Konami releases Bomberman, and its good, will anyone continue to shed a tear for Hudson? Nintendo can find another company to churn out another Mario Party, and... that's it. No one is lamenting the Star Soldier games, or Nectaris, or any of the mostly forgettable games on the Wii.

I mean... Hudson's heyday was the TURBOGRAFX-16. That's 20 years ago, guys.
Bomberman was their big IP, it's going to get the most attention.

If you bothered to read the thread you would see plenty of people lamenting most of their IP catalog and praising their "mostly forgettable" Wii games.

In fact, the POST DIRECTLY ABOVE YOU is somebody crying about the fact that there will not be another Nectaris.

Did you not try Lost In Shadow? It's made by the same team as the Kororinpa games, so at least you know it's going to be highly polished. The gameplay isn't anything mindblowing but it does feel pretty innovative at times with the way you have to use the shadows to interact with the environment, & at its core it's a solid, lengthy 2D platformer which oozes atmosphere and can be picked up for dirt cheap.
Oh wow, no that slipped by me somehow. I didn't much care for Echochrome, but from the trailer LiS looks to package the same concept into something more to my tastes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Halfmunch

Farewell, Saturn Bomberman (best Bomberman ever~) on *Steam* *XBLA* *PSN* and 3DS/VITA with online battles... might have saved Hudson...

Top Bottom