• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huxley Exists! (IGN Preview)

Vaxadrin

Banned
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/856/856441p1.html

Huxley has two persistent cities that allow up to 5000 players to interact at once as well as instanced quests and 100 vs. 100 battles raging on each server. That makes most shooters look tame by comparison, but it's no easy task to pull off and Webzen knows it. Kang told IGN, "We are paying careful attention…for all the possibilities that any server problems could cause an inconvenience for players trying to connect to large scale battles. We are making all efforts for a most enjoyable environment of Huxley, such as optimization of the game engine and an introduction of the newest server technology, etc."

Though the games will be unique, there still are plans for cross-platform interactions. According to Kang, "PC and Xbox 360 players can trade items, battle, and quest in their own respective platform worlds. But in certain areas, crossover is feasible that allows connecting to each other's world. The interface of the two worlds will be through quests in the other's territory or battle-zone and the system will be balanced to allow for the distinctiveness of each platform."

That "must play" status likely comes from the unique take on the MMO Huxley presents. Rather than following the World of Warcraft model as so many others have, Huxley is attempting to bring the first-person shooter into the dedicated server world. The game actually looks more like Unreal Tournament in terms of gameplay than any traditional MMO.

When they say it looks like Unreal Tournament, they mean it:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/856/856441/huxley-20080303021654931.jpg

My excitement hinges entirely on how much fun the core mechanics are and how much grinding there isn't.

Gowans

term.jpg

its back,

hmm wonder if it will be any good?

Ryuuga

Banned
The new details are interesting. As aforementioned though, not really sure how the main gameplay aspect will be. As far as MMOs go (on the console side of things), I'm looking forward to see how this and APB turn out.

Yeah... I'll wait to see how it plays before getting caught up in the hype.

MMOs and Shooters just don't get along, shooting system will probably end up like Tabula Rasa.

That screen looks hideous. Ill wait and see what the user response is before I give it a chance. (Yes, I know its a long way off)

Some of the character design looks really good and well detailed. Like the worn down armor on some of the soldiers. A lot of the urban environments are meh though.

FFChris

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah... I'll wait to see how it plays before getting caught up in the hype.

MMOs and Shooters just don't get along, shooting system will probably end up like Tabula Rasa.

Watch the footage, the shooting system looks just like UT.

Looks ok to me, the real strength will be in tactical gameplay (if it has any) and weapon/character customisation. If it's just a straight shooter I'm not sure I'll bother with it.

Vaxadrin

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
Any word on a release date?

The article says late 2008 for PC, mid 2009 for 360. So for us console players, it's good news, because we'll get 6 months of impressions/gameplay tweaks to determine if it's worth it.

probune

How did they manage to make everyone, even people in the media, think that this game was never going to come out, but then also have a preview by IGN out of the blue?

rumsey

Y2Kev said:
Suxley.

I'm still not entirely sure how an MMOFPS works.

I don't think they know yet either.

Another thought, FPS games are one of my favorite genres, and MMOs a close second... that said, I'm having a really hard time getting myself excited at all for this game.

Maybe PlanetSide tainted my perspective of the MMOFPS genre.

FFChris said:
Why would that matter? You were commenting on the shooting system.

Edit: nm
Well, once they start doing the large tests they realize the lag will make it unplayable and they'll have to change the shooting system to autoaim system like Tabula Rasa or something similar, it'll eventually end up far from a normal FPS. At least that's what I'm betting at.

I hope I'm wrong though, I liked what I saw on that video.

Vaxadrin

Banned
probune said:
How did they manage to make everyone, even people in the media, think that this game was never going to come out, but then also have a preview by IGN out of the blue?

Maybe it's a brilliant new marketing strategy, eschewing the old method of announcing a game, then giving screenshots & hands-on impressions every month for 2 years until it comes out & we're all sick of it already.

planetside was decent... in its mechanics on leveling. The whole taking over of bases and controlling continents was great. The fact that it was just the same thing over and over and over again was tiresome. Also being strictly PVP only set alot of limitations. From what I have read (could be wrong) Huxely is looking to mix PVP and PVE.

I mean honestly you just take a COD4/R6:Vegas experience system and put it in a consistent world.

Alot more too it then that, but a FPS MMORPG is not that different or unimaginable.

Vaxadrin

Banned
klownboots said:
planetside was decent... in its mechanics on leveling. The whole taking over of bases and controlling continents was great. The fact that it was just the same thing over and over and over again was tiresome. Also being strictly PVP only set alot of limitations. From what I have read (could be wrong) Huxely is looking to mix PVP and PVE.

I mean honestly you just take a COD4/R6:Vegas experience system and put it in a consistent world.

Alot more too it then that, but a FPS MMORPG is not that different or unimaginable.

I would buy a terrorist hunt MMO on day 1.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Not to derail, but why haven't we seen another game like Chromehounds? Man, that whole online war thing has SO MUCH potential... Despite the mediocre reviews and shitty SP campaign I know so many people that were addicted to the stupid war... myself included :D

Maybe Huxley will be that game...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
klownboots said:
one can only hope it doesnt turn into

122855ss_sm2.jpg
What was so wrong with Planet Side? I never played it, but it seemed the concept was great.

Top Bottom