• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate shoulder buttons. Why are they a thing?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You mover your index finger from trigger to shoulder buttons...you don't hover all fingers over all buttons.

Honestly, yes this is ideal. But sometimes games need all 4 of those buttons and you do need to hover it like I described.

Plus that constant moving back and forth between em? Completely loses the support I want.

Bishop89

My fingertips are where the triggers would be. Not the shoulder buttons. Hold a dualshock while ignoring those bumpers up top. That's how I want it naturally. Double triggers.

Assuming index fingers on bumbers, that leaves middle fingers for triggers (Which is already a disaster)

Then you only have pinky and ring for support. Look at that pic of the the person holding a ds4. That pinky is supporting nothing. So basically we have one ring finger holding the controller. If you play lying down this isn't gonna work.
No, you only have your index fingers up in the shoulder area, not 4 fingers. You alternate between front and back shoulders with your index

tuxfool

Banned
Honestly, yes this is ideal. But sometimes games need all 4 of those buttons and you do need to hover it like I described.

Plus that constant moving back and forth between em? Completely loses the support I want.

Which games? Give us examples, because I have never found that to be the case.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

What games require constant use of all 4 buttons at once? I do not think I have ever hovered all 4 buttons at once....like ever.

You have been playing games since the NES....your hands should be used to moving. Want support that is perfect for you? Get some clay and slap it on the back on the controllers and start moulding.

If this controller type were ideal, why do professional gamers buy refit controllers with extra buttons relocated to the grip area, like SCUF?

Skrams

Is it possible that we can get a picture of your hands holding a controller? Saying you need to cramp your hands into positions to do it just makes this all sound kind of ludicrous.

xxracerxx

He's not saying they require all four at once but that they make heavy use of all four buttons.

Great....then two index fingers should be more than enough....like almost all games ever.

If this controller type were ideal, why do professional gamers buy refit controllers with extra buttons relocated to the grip area, like SCUF?

So because "pro" gamers buy those crazy ass controllers, they should be the norm?

dude

dude
Then that is just a problem with your hand/s.

Well, maybe me and the OP have weird hands. But seeing as I have no known medical condition in my hands, it may be possible gaming controllers are comfortable for you because you've been used to their design for years and not because they're objectively the best designed they could ever be. So maybe you should be less sure anyone disagreeing with you does so because of some bodily defect.

People here take surprising offense in this topic.

MikeDip

Which games? Give us examples, because I have never found that to be the case.

My memory is not great these days so I can't tell you that (Maybe the batman games?), although I know it's been required of me in the past. Despite that, even if we take the other method of swapping the index fingers between the two, they are too far apart, no good for support. Causes the entire hand/controller to rotate down towards your stomach.

Plus the whole handheld thing where there are only bumpers. This is the worse offender.

Which games?

I personally sooner would rest my elbows on my chair or rest my controller/elbow against chest

GavinUK86

Controllers are light enough they don't really need supporting. I hold my controller like that pic of the guy with the DS4 and always have done. It's perfectly fine and comfortable.

Anteater

they're for your index and middle fingers, they work well in super mario kart

i do think they can use 2 more face buttons than having 2 shoulder buttons, I had a controller like that to play fighting games on psx, not sure why it never caught on.

xxracerxx

Well, maybe me and the OP have weird hands. But seeing as I have no known medical condition in my hands, it may be possible gaming controllers are comfortable for you because you've been used to their design for years and not because they're objectively the best designed they could ever be. So maybe you should be less sure anyone disagreeing with you does so because of some bodily defect.

People here take surprising offense in this topic.

I am just saying that if your ring finger feels "stretched" in that position after having it in that placement for hours that is it more just becoming stiff from being in that position too long. Take a break and let your hands rest.

It is like not staring at a computer screen for to long, shit gets fatigued.

Plus the whole handheld thing where there are only bumpers. This is the worse offender.

Triggers on handhelds will catch on pockets and in bags....maybe causing it to rip off. No good.

MikeDip

Not the standard maybe, but does anyone here ever play handheld games while lying on their back in bed? You can not tell me that using the shoulder buttons in this case works. Right?

No, you only have your index fingers up in the shoulder area, not 4 fingers. You alternate between front and back shoulders with your index

Not everyone. I use 4 fingers as it works best for me.
How else in FIFA are you able to sprint with one defender(holding R2) and call in help from another defender(holding R1) at the same time?

Not the standard maybe, but does anyone here ever play handheld games while lying on their back in bed? You can not tell me that using the shoulder buttons in this case works. Right?

I can. And I will.

It works for me.

tuxfool

Banned
My memory is not great these days so I can't tell you that (Maybe the batman games?), although I know it's been required of me in the past. Despite that, even if we take the other method of swapping the index fingers between the two, they are too far apart, no good for support. Causes the entire hand/controller to rotate down towards your stomach.

Do you have some deficiency, Arthritis perhaps? There are special controllers for people with reduced dexterity with their hands and fingers. I remember some kickstarter a while ago...

JimboJones

I agree with handheld shoulder buttons at least on the 3DS, it can be pretty uncomfortable.
There are plastic grip shells available to improve the ergonomics which could help with that though.

xxracerxx

Another holding controller image:

gma82AG.jpg

dude

dude
I am just saying that if your ring finger feels "stretched" in that position after having it in that placement for hours that is it more just becoming stiff from being in that position too long. Take a break and let your hands rest.

It is like not staring at a computer screen for to long, shit gets fatigued.

Yes, but tends to happen less in games that make lighter use of triggers and shoulder buttons, which makes me able to play them longer (or with much less discomfort) - So it's clear to me shoulder buttons contribute to this discomfort. Is there an alternative? I don't know, but why is everyone in this thread so quick to shut down any discussion on the topic?

People here have claimed the OP is stupid, handicapped or an alien - As if the idea that shoulder buttons are not comfortable is so unthinkable. What the hell.

MikeDip

They work fine. Why wouldn't they?

How do you use them without having your thumbs anchored into place? Move your thumbs to switch buttons and the entire thing is going to fall on you.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I dont think even casuals complain about something as arbitrary as shoulder buttons. This is a genuinely unique thread. I have never seen this gripe before.

Cuburt

New bullet point:

-Now play even while lying on your back in BED!

Biggest controller innovation since the analog stick.

How do you use them without having your thumbs anchored into place? Move your thumbs to switch buttons and the entire thing is going to fall on you.

This has never happened to me. How exactly do you hold your handhelds for this to happen?

Do you apply even the slightest bit of force when you grip anything?

Bishop89

Not everyone. I use 4 fingers as it works best for me.
How else in FIFA are you able to sprint with one defender(holding R2) and call in help from another defender(holding R1) at the same time?

I can. And I will.

It works for me.
Sports games, especially Fifa is the exception where you require two additional fingers up there. Pretty much every other type of game does not require them

RM8

A big chunk of my gaming is done on 3DS, and a big chunk of my 3DS gaming is on my bed, lying on my back :x No issues with shoulder buttons here.

Blame the advent of 3D cameras and the right analog stick, OP. Shoulder buttons are a convenient way to allow the player to use buttons and manipulate the camera simultaneously.

MikeDip

A big chunk of my gaming is done on 3DS, and a big chunk of my 3DS gaming is on my bed, lying on my back :x No issues with shoulder buttons here.

I am honest to god impressed at that claim.

Diffense

I'm fine with a pair. I'm not too thrilled with two pairs (or triggers and shoulder buttons depending on how we're defining things).

Gsnap

I like to think my hands are quite normal looking

Probably. You're probably just being ridiculously nitpicky.

I don't agree with you obviously. Today's controllers are quite comfortable. But even if I entertain the idea that shoulder buttons suck because you have to move your fingers a little or shift your hands a little... So what? Surely you've been playing a variety of video games with a variety of controllers for long enough that these slight shifts or changes shouldn't bother you enough to make an entire thread about it.

But yeah, just rest your index fingers on the triggers and move back and forth as needed.

xxracerxx

They are buying them for a reason. The button layout is more efficient. How is that even debatable?

So do you want shoulder buttons gone completely and just have then on the back of the controller? I am sure the console market has looked into this and it is just not as desired as you think it is.

Shoulder buttons are a must for any game with dual analog controls.

You need it so you can still have button inputs while simultaneously using both analog sticks.

Moving them to the grip would suck. The ring and pinky fingers of the average person are a lot slower than the almighty index finger in speed and reaction. Could be accidental inputs when you get in a tense moment too. The ring/pinky are naturally suited for grip of the handles.

Ive had a controller with ring finger buttons, they were terrible to use in comparison to a shoulder button because index finger speed >>>>>>> ring finger.

KePoW

Banned
Yes, but tends to happen less in games that make lighter use of triggers and shoulder buttons, which makes me able to play them longer (or with much less discomfort) - So it's clear to me shoulder buttons contribute to this discomfort. Is there an alternative? I don't know, but why is everyone in this thread so quick to shut down any discussion on the topic?

well for one, because the design is obviously not going to change for PS/Xbox

So you might as well get used to it.

Also it's clear to me that this is one of those 2%-er type issues, where you and the OP are in a very small minority. Does not mean that your "opinion" is invalid, it just means that no change will come about from it.

It's like people who vote for Ron Paul or no-name independents for US President. They are free to do so, but it does not mean the country should enact their policies just because 2% of people vote for them. Majority rules.

Top Bottom