• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate shoulder buttons. Why are they a thing?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
For an example of how OP uses his controller, just search Google for "old people playing video games".

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Probably. You're probably just being ridiculously nitpicky.

I don't agree with you obviously. Today's controllers are quite comfortable. But even if I entertain the idea that shoulder buttons suck because you have to move your fingers a little or shift your hands a little... So what? Surely you've been playing a variety of video games with a variety of controllers for long enough that these slight shifts or changes shouldn't bother you enough to make an entire thread about it.

But yeah, just rest your index fingers on the triggers and move back and forth as needed.

I'm fine with moving my fingers as needed haha. It's not about that at all, it's the position being in the worst place for support. Moving your index fingers from a trigger to a bumper rotates the entire controller downwards. Holding a handheld with your index fingers having to press the shoulder buttons has even less support and then the thing will fall on your face or stomach.

Maybe my index fingers do not move like the majority. They can not twist at the midjoint knuckle.

So do you want shoulder buttons gone completely and just have then on the back of the controller? I am sure the console market has looked into this and it is just not as desired as you think it is.

Well this happened:
pbvQmdc.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
For an example of how OP uses his controller, just search Google for "old people playing video games".

PzFZzBI.gif

Grandma holding that controller like a pro! Too bad she doesn't know what to do.

I'm fine with moving my fingers as needed haha. It's not about that at all, it's the position being in the worst place for support. Moving your index fingers from a trigger to a bumper rotates the entire controller downwards. Holding a handheld with your index fingers having to press the shoulder buttons has even less support and then the thing will fall on your face or stomach.

Maybe my index fingers do not move like the majority. They can not twist at the midjoint knuckle.

My controller doesn't rotate when I switch between triggers and bumpers. The only part of my finger moving up and down or side to side is my entire finger, like so:

mp1MqDO.gif

MikeDip

Well this happened:

Oh wow, that would actually solve so many problems. That bar thing on the back!

Actually this got me thinking, why don't we extend that obviously amazing idea and enclose it fully? Sort of like a glove but less tight.

SystemUser

It's because after 25 years you're still holding controllers like they're NES controllers instead of like controllers with shoulder buttons. It's the same reason why after growing up with the N64 and Gamecube controller I can't comprehend the claw, or having fingers on both triggers and shoulders at once.

That's not the Claw. The Claw is when you hold dual stick controller in a way where you can use the face buttons and the right analog stick at the same time. The Claw was used for by some Halo players for quicker jumping before Halo 3 added Bumper Jumper.

Gsnap

Well that's it then.

I have no idea what you're talking about or how that happens to you. I've never had that problem. When I move my index fingers back and forth the controller stays in place.

jwhit28

I agree when it comes to Dualshocks. It is impossible to comfortably keep fingers on all 4 for me. I think giving up on Xbox is also what made me give up on multiplayer FPS on console. I also think the DS3 is horrible for using RS to sprint because of it's placement. I haven't tried a DS4, do R2 and L2 actually feel like comfortable triggers now? Do they still use R1 or L1 to shoot in games?

MikeDip

That's not the Claw. The Claw is when you hold dual stick controller in a way where you can use the face buttons and the right analog stick at the same time. The Claw was used for by some Halo players for quicker jumping before Halo 3 added Bumper Jumper.

The claw was what was commonly used to play monster hunter on the psp right? That was fine, I was okay with that.

I loved the GC buttons the most. The lunchbox got a lot of hate but its controller was comfy.

GC probably has the worst triggers IMO. There's way too much throw to them. Takes so long to press to click, and if you're doing it fast it's easy to miss the click.

I love shoulder buttons, I just wish they made multiple sizes for controllers. As a rather tall person, I find the PS3/4 controllers to be a bit small.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Nope, they're awesome for fighters.

Seconding that. Assigning R1 to K was the only way I could consistently pull off B+K and A+K inputs on SoulCalibur. I also seem to recall R1 being useful in Virtua Fighter 5 FS, but I haven't played in a while and I don't quite remember my configuration.

Dunan

Sorry, OP; I like shoulder buttons. Your index finger is naturally the most agile and useful of all the human fingers, with the possible exception of the thumb, and it feels foolish to design a controller that doesn't make use of it.

I like using my index finger so much that when playing Wipeout games on the PSP and Vita, where you don't want to take your finger off the accelerator, I even press the Square button with the side of my index finger. I don't think I could do that with any other finger -- I find it difficult to try to push the sides of my middle fingers against the back touchpad of the Vita (which offers no pushback like a "real" button would) when needing to press L2/R2 and would welcome a revision of the Vita that has all four shoulder buttons.

The claw was what was commonly used to play monster hunter on the psp right? That was fine, I was okay with that.

I also clawed on the PSP for MH, and also did it on DC originally with PSO.

Claiming shoulder/trigger buttons are uncomfortable, while saying you are fine with clawing... it's just weird.

Chastten

Banned
I don't dislike shoulder buttons or triggers, I just dislike when there are multiple buttons/triggers there. One of them is always in an uncomfortable place where your fingers don't naturally rest.

The Z-button on the Cube controller was the worst, but Xbox 360 controller, GamePad en PlayStation controllers all have it to some degree,

Cuburt

If you play lying down this isn't gonna work.

Not the standard maybe, but does anyone here ever play handheld games while lying on their back in bed? You can not tell me that using the shoulder buttons in this case works. Right?

How do you use them without having your thumbs anchored into place? Move your thumbs to switch buttons and the entire thing is going to fall on you.

Plus the whole handheld thing where there are only bumpers. This is the worse offender.

I see a pattern starting to emerge.

Thread should have been titled
"Why don't they make handhelds that I can play lying in bed while holding it above me?"

stock-photo-teenage-girl-playing-games-with-cell-phone-laying-in-bed-103167086.jpg

pic related

xxracerxx

I see a pattern starting to emerge.

Thread should have been titled
"Why don't they make handhelds that I can play lying in bed while holding it above me?"

stock-photo-teenage-girl-playing-games-with-cell-phone-laying-in-bed-103167086.jpg

pic related

MikeDip a teenage girl texting her boyfriend confirmed.

Cuburt

I had to search "playing games in bed" and could only find pictures of people holding and supporting it in normal ways so I had to search for stock photos of hired actors who have probably never actually tried playing video games in bed.

Roto13

Shoulder buttons are a crazy mess, but the hand-destroying claw for Monster Hunter? THAT'S fine.

Are you some kind of mutant?

I cannot envision or replicate the problem OP has with shoulder buttons. I cannot conceive the issue he is having and it is frustrating to me. The controller tilting downward when pressing bumpers? Ring finger feeling "stretched"? (edit: said by another person, but left for illustration) The horrible, hand mangling claw-style is good?

It is as if you do not have human anatomy. Like you have a different number of fingers than everybody else.

Buddy, I am sorry to say, you are alone in this world. Nobody will ever understand you and this is your curse.

MikeDip

I cannot envision or replicate the problem OP has with shoulder buttons. I cannot conceive the issue he is having and it is frustrating to me. The controller tilting downward when pressing bumpers? Ring finger feeling "stretched"?

It is as if you do not have human anatomy. Like you have a different number of fingers than everybody else.

Buddy, I am sorry to say, you are alone in this world. Nobody will ever understand you and this is your curse.

The irony here is some of that stuff, like the ring finger being stretched, was said by someone else

I need to go pick up my vita or something and see if I can describe it better. But like I said, people claiming they can play a vita or 3ds in bed while lying on their back and still use the shoulder buttons must be some sort of god.

I read this whole thread and all I could think is that OP is the guy who didn't know he could hold the middle of the N64 controller and then complained about how he couldnt reach the Z button and the analog stick was too far away....
n64hand1.jpg

xxracerxx

The irony here is some of that stuff, like the ring finger being stretched, was said by someone else

I need to go pick up my vita or something and see if I can describe it better. But like I said, people claiming they can play a vita or 3ds in bed while lying on their back and still use the shoulder buttons must be some sort of god.

Take a picture of how you hold controllers and handhelds.

MikeDip

I do not like posting pictures of my hands since they usually have blood on them unless I'm working or wearing gloves/bandaids.

Pandy

I'm with you, OP.

Shoulder buttons are okay for occasional inputs that never coincide with trigger presses, but there are plenty of devs that get over excited and introduce them into crappy control schemes and then don't provide options to re-bind.

Z triggers for life.

I absolutely need to see pictures. MikeDip is the only creature on this plane of existence that struggles with this. Do you have difficulty holding a steering wheel? A fork? The warm hand of a sweetheart? What else can't you hold? I need to know more about your condition, man, because it is tragic.

I do not like posting pictures of my hands since they usually have blood on them unless I'm working or wearing gloves/bandaids.

And now there is THIS mystery.

SystemUser

So say you do the loser sign with your left hand. You're telling me that inside part of your index finger that makes the sticky up part of the L isn't normally used to hold the back of your controller?

Where is all the support coming from?

You hold onto the handles. The handles is where the support comes from on all controllers since the PS1 and N64. You wrap ringer finger (and one or two more fingers) around the handles. Do you not hold the handles?

DVAaV.png

Yeah, the Monster Hunter Claw is the same as the Halo Claw except with the left hand instead of the right. How could you like these better than shoulder buttons? No offense, but are you an insane person?

OP is right, more or less. Buttons on the back of controllers would be better. If I have to make even the smallest effort to press some L1/R1 or LB/RB buttons, then that's lame.

Skrams

I just looked up and held my vita above my head. I can support it just by having it rest on the pad below my pointer finger. Unless you are trying not to touch your controllers with anything besides your fingers then I don't know what you're doing.

I'm dying.

And what's with the PS4 tonguepad in the middle of the controller? Why do I have to lean down and lick the controller? This is terrible design. And if I lift the controller up instead of contorting my entire body downward I can't see what I'm doing. The tonguepad has got to go. Not just on the DualShock 4, but on laptops too.

MikeDip

I don't mean I'm dripping blood or have drenched hands. I just don't like showing the blood at all, it isn't actually much.

This is like the thread where that guy said the N64 controller is an impossible one and that he can not reach the Z button.

I promise you I hold the n64 controller just fine. Not like that pic posted earlier.

Top Bottom