• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I highy suggest cleaning under the cover of your ps5 at least every 6 months or so

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I got my ps5 back in may so around 6 months ago. It sits in an open TV stand. Just to give you an idea of the environment my ps5 is in. My wife smokes cigs and we smoke some plant substances. We also have a medium haired cat. I am not the cleanest person but not a total slob either. To make a long story short, I decided to snap off the cover for the first time and was shocked at the hair and dust built up under the cover. A good vacuum with straighten it out but just some fellow gamer advice.

*warning * If this is your first time removing your cover Sony did a poor job at the cover remove system. YOu have to lift the corner by the PS5 sign and Pull up and to the left. The bad news is it's almost impossible not to scratch the black matted console itself when removing the cover.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
disgusted go away GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Good advice OP, I also smoke and try to dust off my electronics from time to time. Good practice if you want to prolong their life as much as possible.

It also helps that both my PS4 Pro and PC are very easy to open and clean.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think he said it was dust and hair buildup, not smoke.
I had scented candles burning in the same room as my PC over the course of a month or two, and when I next cleaned my PC’s dust filters the dust was black instead of grey. Smoke in the same room is definitely going to get in consoles. Intake fans will draw it towards it, so it’s not even a game of chance. It’s a certainty.

[Sigma]

Luckily my house doesn't attract too much dust so I haven't felt the need to do it just yet. But when I do, i'll put the XPower A-2 to it. I've been meaning to get a couple of air purifiers but I get to procrastinating on it and just end of forgetting about till I see threads like this lol.

matty3092

I have a dog that sheds hair like crazy looking through the vents of my series x there's looks to be a decent amount of hair build up in the heatsink is it safe to take off the back plate and hold a vacuum to it while using a brush to clear the heatsink?

I have two short hair cats but I hoover and dust on a daily basis, so I'm not to tempted to take the cover off just yet. Maybe when the new face plates come out I'll do the deed.

Fools idol

Banned
yea... my dog also sheds like crazy (golden retriever) so our house is constantly a light layer of golden fur even with 2x roomba's going around pretty much 3x a day.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I opened mine up a couple of weeks ago to put the M.2 in and it looked great from what I could see. I vacuumed the dust holes and put it back together. Looked great.

i clean it once month. i mean its super easy to do once you take the plates off once. they come off so easily after that. i have 2 little cats in house aswell which can add to the buildup. the real problem is smoking though cause it makes the air in the room nasty.

Fools idol

Banned
I opened mine up a couple of weeks ago to put the M.2 in and it looked great from what I could see. I vacuumed the dust holes and put it back together. Looked great.
how easy is that to do? did you watch a youtube tutorial or something or just wing it yourself?

V4skunk

Banned
PC master race knows about dust very well.
Best to have an air compressor to blow the dust out or at the minimum use those air duster cans for a couple of £.

Those vents are asking for dust to get in. I fully expect someone online to find a spiders nest in their PS5 or a Series X by this time next year if they’re not using their console much over winter.

S0ULZB0URNE

Once a month I remove my side panels and use a metrovac blower.
Every other month I take off the nvme cover and use the blower on that.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yellow tinted Nes.
My parents / grandparents bought the same couch at the exact same time, some sale at a local store or something. Was leather, this ugly light pink-ish color.

Within a year my grandparents couch was a completely different color; by the time they died a decade later it was dark orange lol

S0ULZB0URNE

My parents / grandparents bought the same couch at the exact same time, some sale at a local store or something. Was leather, this ugly light pink-ish color.

Within a year my grandparents couch was a completely different color; by the time they died a decade later it was dark orange lol
Wonder why it's not noticeable these days?

Oh and white walls become YellowishTan.

I put a SSD in last month i was actually surprised how little dust was in it.
It’s because it doesn’t get very much airflow and one of the reasons they recommended a heatsink

Some of the third party cases you can buy actually address this but Sonys ninjas keep swatting them to sell their own overpriced coloured versions

$85 aud….gtfo of here Sony

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I got my ps5 back in may so around 6 months ago. It sits in an open TV stand. Just to give you an idea of the environment my ps5 is in. My wife smokes cigs and we smoke some plant substances. We also have a medium haired cat. I am not the cleanest person but not a total slob either. To make a long story short, I decided to snap off the cover for the first time and was shocked at the hair and dust built up under the cover. A good vacuum with straighten it out but just some fellow gamer advice.

*warning * If this is your first time removing your cover Sony did a poor job at the cover remove system. YOu have to lift the corner by the PS5 sign and Pull up and to the left. The bad news is it's almost impossible not to scratch the black matted console itself when removing the cover.

Not a slob and smoke cigarettes inside don't fit together. Not trying to be insulting or put you down OP, I used to do the same shit, but stop. It's trashy as fuck, your friends and family won't mention it because you're all grown ass adults and they figure if you want to be grody, you're gonna stay grody, but they'll talk about it with each other in their own privacy. THAT HOUSE SMELLS LIKE TAR PIT BULLSHIT. It yellows your walls, smells terrible (and you won't notice it because you live there and become desensitized to the scent) and all that dust and brown shit on your PS5? That's in your air. That's in you. And you got a cat? I'm sure the cat loves living in a cloud. Damn man. Smoke outside.

I clean my media room twice a week including thorough dusting around my consoles and my consoles themselves. When I removed the covers on the PS5 for the first time since launch in September it was sparkling clean.

A swiffer is all I used.

V4skunk

Banned
Not a slob and smoke cigarettes inside don't fit together. Not trying to be insulting or put you down OP, I used to do the same shit, but stop. It's trashy as fuck, your friends and family won't mention it because you're all grown ass adults and they figure if you want to be grody, you're gonna stay grody, but they'll talk about it with each other in their own privacy. THAT HOUSE SMELLS LIKE TAR PIT BULLSHIT. It yellows your walls, smells terrible (and you won't notice it because you live there and become desensitized to the scent) and all that dust and brown shit on your PS5? That's in your air. That's in you. And you got a cat? I'm sure the cat loves living in a cloud. Damn man. Smoke outside.
That cat will live we need to worry about the ps5 tbh.

magnumpy

this is highly variable. are you a neat freak, or are you 2 pack a day smoker who lives in constant squalor?

not judging anyone, just making the point that your mileage may vary. that said cleanliness is next to godliness :)

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom