• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I highy suggest cleaning under the cover of your ps5 at least every 6 months or so

Fuz

Banned
People who smoke inside their houses
puke.gif

I need the video.

assurdum

Banned
I got my ps5 back in may so around 6 months ago. It sits in an open TV stand. Just to give you an idea of the environment my ps5 is in. My wife smokes cigs and we smoke some plant substances. We also have a medium haired cat. I am not the cleanest person but not a total slob either. To make a long story short, I decided to snap off the cover for the first time and was shocked at the hair and dust built up under the cover. A good vacuum with straighten it out but just some fellow gamer advice.

*warning * If this is your first time removing your cover Sony did a poor job at the cover remove system. YOu have to lift the corner by the PS5 sign and Pull up and to the left. The bad news is it's almost impossible not to scratch the black matted console itself when removing the cover.

200.gif

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
May be unrelated to what OP is asking.

But do any PS5 owners on GAF run their PS5's with the flaps off ? Just the console without the 'shell' ?

Kupfer

Have a PS5 sitting on its stand horizontally on a carpet since day 1. I removed the covers and looked inside 3 months ago when I installed the dark plates and nothing. Not a single hair, no dust or other dirt. I was glad to see this, because I had concerns about the PS5 laying on the carpet like that. I have no concerns no more. PC, PS3, PS4 and PS4 pro didn't get dusty or clogged either.
For me, not smoking inside and vacuuming three times a week does the job.

But do any PS5 owners on GAF run their PS5's with the flaps off ? Just the console without the 'shell' ?
Why would you want to do this? You can't even use the stand without the panels.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Cleaned mine a few weeks back with a PC blower thing and a hoover in the two dust vents, it was surprisingly clean. I don't smoke or have candles in my room, but it does get a bit dusty.

vpance

Thanks for the reminder OP, just cleaned mine. Wasn't too bad at all for being out in the open and just had a bit of cat hair.

I'm too scared I'm gonna break it to even get the covers off

It's easy. The key is to slide the plates down after lifting a corner up.

vpance

I tried it,it bending feels weird. When I actually need to open it I'll go full force. Don't have a pet or smoke so I'm good.

I agree it does feel weird. But no big force is needed, just have slide it downwards with your other hand.

But yeah if you don't have a pet it's probably pretty clean in there.

Boglin

Why the fuck would I wash my belly button?

If you leave it for a few months you can just rip out the matted waxy nugget that forms in one shot.

Work smarter not harder.
Those waxy nuggets are called sapien-ambergris and I make my living by selling it

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

LordOfChaos

I don't smoke but have a cat and it was whistle clean in there after 8 months, I don't think I'll check again for a year.

Smokers always had the most gross PC insides, that kind of checks out. Vaporized tars and stuff in the air trap everything.

Last edited:

skit_data

I’ve cleaned it using the dust catchers once every 2 months and I took out the fan (won’t void warranty) after about six months to clean it and use canned air to get rid of any dust inside the system and on the heatsink.

I suggest everyone to do the same at least once a year to keep their PS5 healthy. Removing the dust before it settles is easier.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think it's gross, I only smoke weed and I usually dry herb vape it. Most smokers I know don't mind the smell of smoke.

Yeah, I mean. I don't mind it, but again, if you do it in your house, you get desensitized to the smell. Go into a house with owners that don't smoke, and light up a cigarette, the entire place will reek like cigarettes for an hour. Very very noticeable. That's what it's like for everyone who comes into your house, haha.

I used to smoke like a freight train in my house before I had kids, and I never noticed, but once you stop, you realize how much that shit clings to you. Same with pot, but I think that's a touch less caustic.

xrnzaaas

There's something called dust cover.
I use a piece of cloth for the PS4 & PS5. Unfortunately it's not possible for the Xbox as it stays active for instant-on functionality even you choose to turn it off. So in theory the console could get pretty warm if I covered it completely.

I use a piece of cloth for the PS4 & PS5. Unfortunately it's not possible for the Xbox as it stays active for instant-on functionality even you choose to turn it off. So in theory the console could get pretty warm if I covered it completely.
You use the dust cover If the console is turned off. Wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Or do you want the console to overheat??

Last edited:

captainpat

Came across this video on youtube. I'm hoping it's just a joke cause I can't imagine getting a ps5 that dirty in less than a year.

Top Bottom