• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just bought myself a $30 Italian meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
Every time I go to In-N-Out, I just get an order of animal fries. I do want to blow the fuck up, really.
Animal Fries are the greatest food ever. A double double with animal fries is eating heaven.

mj1108

akachan: In N Out <3 Animal Fries are fucking awesome. (Damn, this now makes me hungry for them...and they're open...decisions, decisions...)

To the OP: $30 for THAT?? You could have gone to Subway and bought 6 footlongs....one for every day for nearly a week for that.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
grandpainout.gif

God's Beard said:
$18 + $5 delivery charge + tax & tip = :-(

I wish I still lived in San Francisco...

ok now I'm having buyer's remorse. I'm poor as fuck right now, and I've got like a hundred bucks until I find a job...
If your spending is as poorly guided as it is when it comes to food, it's easy to see why you're broke as fuck.

Kola

aparisi2274 said:
Italian food outside of NYC is not Italian Food. It mounts a valiant effort, but it doesnt come close...

50 million people in Italy probably laugh about what the NYC crowd believes to be original Italian food :)

Ermc_G6

Went to italy recently, a good meal there will normally run you around 16-18 euros, which converted to dollars is getting close to $30

Link1110

$30?

Eggplant $1.50
Mozerella $2.99
Ricotta $3.29
Strained Tomatoes $2.19 (better than actual sauce)
Pound of Pasta $0.99
Butter $2.99

Eggplant Rollatini Meal (You can throw melt some mozzerella on the pasta and make baked ziti if you like) - $13.95 and you'll likely have enough ingredients left over to make it again provided you get another eggplant.

Brofist

God's Beard said:
I got myself some Manicotti, a quart of Ministrone, a whole damn loaf of bread and I'm washing it down with the sweet satisfaction that everyone can suck my dick because I'm eating Italian FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd

Post your dinner, cause it's not better than mine.

you got ripped

MisterHero said:
$30 Sushi platter

course 1: Salad and Miso soup
course 2: 4pc Tempura, 6pc California roll, 4pc shrimp and a whole bunch of other stuff
course 3: green tea ice cream

:9

you got ripped too

next time try to get some sushi with your "sushi platter"

God's Beard said:
I got myself some Manicotti, a quart of Ministrone, a whole damn loaf of bread and I'm washing it down with the sweet satisfaction that everyone can suck my dick because I'm eating Italian FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd

fvbx8h.jpg

Where did you got that? It's not even half italian tbh.

God's Beard said:

fvbx8h.jpg

Is that Miss Potts I see on a tiny pink Disney Bag?

Are you eating this in Epcot and not Italy? Cause I would totally believe you paid $30 for that at Epcot.

maxmars said:
We're too polite for that.
But you're right.
Same goes for any country's food, obviously. To say it's second best to actual italian food from italy is a pretty large feat. Also, ask any italian where they prefer their pizza from. Nothing compares to new york city pizza, though. Home to some of the best chefs in the galaxy and multiverse. I can't wait for the San Gennaro festival in september in Little Italy. I'm gonna starve myself a week in advance to prepare.

maxmars

Verboten said:
Also, ask any italian where they prefer their pizza from. Nothing compares to new york city pizza, though.

Just the thought that there is a single "best pizza" makes me chuckle, though (and I'm not talking about toppings). But please enjoy your San Gennaro festival -- looks like a great place to be. If you starve for a week before going into that it must be damn good. :D

maxmars said:
Just the thought that there is a single "best pizza" makes me chuckle, though (and I'm not talking about toppings). But please enjoy your San Gennaro festival -- looks like a great place to be. If you starve for a week before going into that it must be damn good. :D
I don't mean there's a single pizza place that makes the best pizza. I mean it has the most places with the best pizza in the world. And yeah, it's that good. Two sweet, euphoric weeks of eating. And the zeppolis... Shit, why'd I come back into this thread? Haven't had a slice in too long, I'm just gonna succumb to my cravings.

I'm italian,and that minestrone looks fucking weird,what kind of vegetables were used to make that?Also that piece of bread is kinda strange,it looks like they used the same dough used to do cartocciate:

1314817610_52d863c285.jpg

Which are delicious but aren't real bread.I would like to make you taste some olive bread,with a bit of extra virgin olive oil,salt and maybe some cutted pachino's tomatoes,it's the best thing you will ever eat,and of course it costs way less than what you paid for your dinner(like 25$ less).

methos75

Banned
angelcage87 said:
I'm italian,and that minestrone looks fucking weird,what kind of vegetables were used to make that?Also that piece of bread is kinda strange,it looks like they used the same dough used to do cartocciate:

1314817610_52d863c285.jpg

Which are delicious but aren't real bread.I would like to make you taste some olive bread,with a bit of extra virgin olive oil,salt and maybe some cutted pachino's tomatoes,it's the best thing you will ever eat,and of course it costs way less than what you paid for your dinner(like 25$ less).

I love olive bread, as too the best Italian food is found in NYC, I disagree simply because you can get good italian food anywhere there is a sizable Italian presence. I am from New Orleans, and there is a sizable Italian population there, and hence some really good italian food can be had. Its not the quality in NYC that is better, its just that there are more choices and you have a better shot at getting regional Italian foods. By family is Sicilian, and good sicilian food is hard to find in NO.

Kapsama

Oh well I had a passable Kebab platter with yogurt at this Turkish place. I haven't fully recovered from the violent diarrhea and the runs though. I think they mixed some shit inducing stuff into my food. :/

ccbfan

Verboten said:
I don't mean there's a single pizza place that makes the best pizza. I mean it has the most places with the best pizza in the world. And yeah, it's that good. Two sweet, euphoric weeks of eating. And the zeppolis... Shit, why'd I come back into this thread? Haven't had a slice in too long, I'm just gonna succumb to my cravings.

Most of the top food pubs agree that New Haven, CT has the best pizza in the states.

MisterHero

kpop100 said:
you got ripped too

next time try to get some sushi with your "sushi platter"
It's the same price wherever I go. :( I usually have the 'all-you-can-eat' sushi which is slightly cheaper but I wanted something different. :lol

nomster

worldrunover said:
I've never heard this. Better than Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Chicago? Doubtful.

It's true, New Haven pizza is freaking awesome. I'd definitely put it up with New York. Chicago pizza shouldn't really be compared, it's like a different product. Some love it, some hate it.

methos75

Banned
worldrunover said:
I've never heard this. Better than Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Chicago? Doubtful.

New-Haven-style pizza, called apizza (pronounced ah-BEETS in the local Italian dialect), made its debut here in 1925. It is baked in coal- or wood-fired brick ovens, and is notable for its thin crust. Apizza may be Red (with a tomato-based sauce) or White (garlic and olive oil), and pies ordered "plain" are made without the otherwise customary mozzarella cheese (pronounced sca-MOTZ, as it was originally smoked mozzarella, known as "scamorza" in Italian). A white clam pie is a well known specialty of the restaurants on Wooster Street in the Little Italy section of New Haven.

maxmars

Verboten said:

In the world? In the world outside of Italy, perhaps? Because I sincerely can't believe there's more good pizzerie than some of the cities in the south I have been (e.g. Naples itself! Or Rome..)

Also, by zeppolis you mean zeppole? As in:
THIS YUMMY LINK. Now that's some pastry I can relate with. :D

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
God's Beard said:

fvbx8h.jpg

Pasta + Minestrone in the same meal ? You are like an Italian kid's worst nightmare :p.

MercuryLS

Banned
Since we're on the topic of Italian food, what's a good place to get some in the GTA? I loves me some good Italian, honestly this year is the first time I've really tried Italian food thanks to some generous co-workers. The shit I've been eating for years is just disgusting in comparison.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I had a nasty burritto for dinner last night.

Oh God it sucked. I'm off Mexican for a while.

bjork

I thought it was common knowledge that Serpentor invented the pizza, and therefore Cobra-La would be the best place on earth to get pizza.

cbox

MercuryLS said:
Since we're on the topic of Italian food, what's a good place to get some in the GTA? I loves me some good Italian, honestly this year is the first time I've really tried Italian food thanks to some generous co-workers. The shit I've been eating for years is just disgusting in comparison.

My house.

CajoleJuice said:
If your spending is as poorly guided as it is when it comes to food, it's easy to see why you're broke as fuck.
Yeah, you're definatley right about that. I spend on the stupidest shit possible all the time. Like Halo 3.

Cloudy said:
You took a break from yogurt and apples for that slop? You should have just ordered a pizza for $10 or less..
:-(

PastaJeff said:
Pasta + Minestrone in the same meal ? You are like an Italian kid's worst nightmare :p.
I'm Italian.

Jesus, this thread really did backfire. And yes, I know good Italian food, god dammit! I was just... so hungry that I couldn't help it... :-(

Somnid

Learn to cook. Italian food is some of the easiest stuff to make, and you can make really good stuff for cheap if you just put a little effort into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom