• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Just Finished Breaking Bad Last Night, Can't Fathom The Skyler Hate (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I'm so so late to the party on this show, but I finally decided to dedicate a month to watching Breaking Bad and I binged watch like 4 episodes at a time on some nights and finished it within a month. Anyway, I definitely agree it's one of the greatest shows of all time, but I when I first started watching it I had multiple friends warn about how awful Skyler is and how awesome Walter White is comparison and I just don't get that at all.

Walter White becomes one of the most evil characters I've encountered in modern television and obviously as the title of the show implies I think that's mostly by design. He's not only selfish, which in all honestly is a trait that's easy to empathize with, but lies and deceives every single family member and friend around with him and ultimately leads to them to a damnation in some regard. He has the antithesis of a midas touch, and every single person in the show would be better off had they never met him. Towards the end of the show it becomes obvious that he cares more about the pride he gets from being the best meth maker than even the money he receives from doing it. Ultimately, I think it's his sense of entitlement that irks me the most. He's never willing to be second fiddle to anyone in any matter even when it means living himself and his family vulnerable. He makes the most maniacal and cold-blooded killers seem rational by comparison.

I've also read a couple articles about their being a white supremacist angle, which I had at one time thought was ridiculous. But the more you watch it and really think about the plot lines and who Walter surrounds himself with it starts to make sense. A white guy devoid of any street savyness or criminal experience taking over a Hispanic dominated drug industry utilizing his superior education, chemistry expertise, and white to skin to pound them into submission. And then he has no problem aligning himself with a white supremacist drug/prison gang to do his dirty work at one point. Even his tutor Jesse gets driven down to Mexico and has to clean up the biggest Mexican meth plant in the industry due to their negligence and uncouth nature. It's ridiculous, but it's fine I guess.

Anyway, onto Skyler, who I must admit I did not like one bit in the first two seasons. I think there are three key reasons people don't like her. The first being her infidelity, the second being that she gives up on Walt in the end, but I believe the biggest is that she acts as a foil to Walter's frenzied pursuit for infamy.

Skyler's infidelity isn't a constant or ongoing thing and it was only brought on by Walter's habitual lying and negligence. Walter constantly betrays her trust and leaves his family for long periods of time as he deludes himself that he's doing what he's doing for their benefit. You can tell she does love him as she tries to rekindle and reconcile their broken household time and time again even after she finds out that he's a fucking drug kingpin. If anything people that hate Skyler are basically victim blaming, as she's involved in such an abusive relationship with seemingly one of the most dangerous men in the world and is to severe her family from him without severe physical and mental backlash.

Secondly, Skyler only gives Walt up after she realizes that there's no out or possible outcome where she, her family, and Walt could coexist. Throughout the series Skyler saves Walt from making idiotic decisions. She informs on him on how to utilize his money, come up with his fairly good lies, and live an overall incognito lifestyle. However, Walt's obsession with infamy ruined all of Skyler's mostly brilliant schemes in the end. She's pretty much the perfect crime queen, and had he listened to her and given up his ascension to be a crime lord once he had sufficient funds his life would have better off. Maybe she should have turned him from the start, but I can't fathom any scenario where there should be more disdain for her than Walter White in any regard...

Making Walt's cancer about her was pretty narcissistic. That's about all I've got. Of course Walter is even more hateworthy.

She definitely isn't deserving of pity, in the greater context.

GamerJM

Banned
I don't really get the Skyler hate either. Her actions make sense in the context of the show, plus I found her character development to be interesting.

The character I didn't "get," was Marie. She didn't add much to the show and it felt like her kleptomania never went anywhere.

Symphonia

Banned
I didn't hate Skyler as such, but I just couldn't like her. As mentioned already, she's a buzzkill. Walt only started cooking meth to earn money to look after his family in the event the cancer killed him. Yet, for some reason, he was looked upon as an evil, scumbag husband for lying to his family. Yes, he did lie, but did so to protect them. And what does Skyler do? She treats him like shit. Walt should've left her to scrape on by with what they had.

i agree with OP. i remember watching the show as it was on and wondering if I was watching the same show as everyone else. The water cooler conversation always centered around how awesome Walter White was and how annoying Skylar was. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Walter was an evil, manipulative, power-hungry, condescending white nerd power-fantasy while Skylar was a victim. Hell, everyone around Walter White was a victim. Jesse was probably the biggest tragedy.

Still, one of the best shows on television. Bryan Cranston was a beast.

But yeah, Walter was a deplorable human being to me.

Now for some fantastic Better Call Saul!

I just thought she was irritating, even from the beginning. Now that I think about it, it could have been her appearance. She's got a very strong jaw line that I find unsettling in a woman.

HiResDes

I didn't hate Skyler as such, but I just couldn't like her. As mentioned already, she's a buzzkill. Walt only started cooking meth to earn money to look after his family in the event the cancer killed him. Yet, for some reason, he was looked upon as an evil, scumbag husband for lying to his family. Yes, he did lie, but did so to protect them. And what does Skyler do? She treats him like shit. Walt should've left her to scrape on by with what they had.

For some reason?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I didn't get the hate for Skyler either - it was mindboggling to me.

However, she was a horrible wife to Walt.

Never had a problem with Skysky. In fact, I felt pretty bad for her most of the time. Shitty situation, life thrown into chaos, and in the end
a lot of emotional damage was done by her insane husband.

The actress that played her was also very good, I thought.

I think the Skyler hate is completely understandable. I get every single reason ever offered up for why people dislike the character. They're easily understood.

I just disagree with almost all of them, and the ones I do agree with aren't important enough for me to regard the character anywhere near as negatively as others.

It ends up being a judgment less of the character, and more on how you, the viewer, are choosing to watch the show. Skyler is maybe the most easily identifiable marker there.

No_Style

I didn't get it either OP. Skyler reacted in convincing fashion for me. I empathized with her more than any other character on the show.

It's becuse she's a total bossy buzzkill.

tumblr_m7z3hjWW6F1r7cf6no4_250.gif

I finished it a few weeks back. Skylar is one of the most annoying characters I've ever fucking seen. All she did was fucking whine and complain.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Maybe it isn't true for everyone, but the people I've talked to that hate Skyler also don't seem to see Walt as the irredeemable asshole that he is. I still get into arguments with my brother about Walt. I see him as the villain of the show, and my brother just sees him as a badass.

People not liking Skylar doesn't bother me, but if they cheer on Walt while hating her it seems kind of fucked up. Walt is killing people and worse all under the false delusion he's doing it for his family, yet when offered the money by his old colleagues he turns it down because of his pride. From that moment on, I can't justify anyone saying Walt is doing the right thing.

I havent watched it since it finished but to be it seemed like during the last few runs it felt like Skylers character motivations changed every time they took a break between episodes and it came across as super jarring when I was watching them on netflix leading up to the final series.

She didnt have logical character evolution like everyone else. She just randomly changed to whatever the writers wanted to do with no explanation and it was going to extremes in later runs.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

This is such bullshit.

If he was so concerned about his family, he would have started working for Grey Matter and tried to get money from them.

Walt was always a bad person. And the things he did had shit to do with his family.

Dalek

I don't get it either-she was trapped in a horrible situation that her husband put her & her family into.

This is such bullshit.

If he was so concerned about his family, he would have started working for Grey Matter and tried to get money from them.

Walt was always a bad person. And the things he did had shit to do with his family.

Absolutely. Walt even realizes this in the end. It wasn't about the money for him-it was his ego.

She's a spineless character, treated Walt like shit in the before he started cooking meth and yet when she found out she's now so scared that she couldn't leave him? I just found her hypocritical and indecisive. She gets involved in the money laundering scheme yet still resent Walt because of that he did (and there's nothing wrong with resenting him, just weird when you get involved in that business). I don't dislike her because she's scared of Walt or/and doesn't completely let him do what he wants, I dislike her because all her attempts feels half assed, she tries something and then give up pretty quickly.

I might be wrong since it's been awhile but that's what I remember from the show.

Mathieran

Banned
I think a lot of folks, including myself, were rooting for Walt even though we knew he was the bad guy, and therefore viewed her as a foil to his cause.

When viewed from a more objective point of view it's pretty clear that is not the case.

zma1013

Maybe it isn't true for everyone, but the people I've talked to that hate Skyler also don't seem to see Walt as the irredeemable asshole that he is. I still get into arguments with my brother about Walt. I see him as the villain of the show, and my brother just sees him as a badass.

Yeah, seems there are two camps who watch it. Those who want to fantasize about the power trip of being awesome at something and don't like having a nagging wife constantly interrupt it or people who see the psycho that Walt actually becomes and how it irreversibly effects everyone around him for the worse.

Sagely

I think the Skyler hate is completely understandable. I get every single reason ever offered up for why people dislike the character. They're easily understood.

I just disagree with almost all of them, and the ones I do agree with aren't important enough for me to regard the character anywhere near as negatively as others.

It ends up being a judgment less of the character, and more on how you, the viewer, are choosing to watch the show. Skyler is maybe the most easily identifiable marker there.
Absolutely agreed. How people view Skyler says more about them than it does about her as a character. I always thought Skyler's reactions and behaviour were completely understandable in her situation. Bryan Cranston plays Walt with so much charisma that I suppose it can sway people into supporting him as a good guy, but I'm unable to see him that way.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
This is such bullshit.

This always gets overlooked. Walt could have been taken care of, but he would have had to put his ego aside. He would rather consistently put his marriage and family at risk than set aside his ego. Walt's a piece of shit. Skylar is grating, but she was totally fucking right.

Absolutely. Walt even realizes this in the end. It wasn't about the money for him-it was his ego.

Yeah,
In the last or 2nd last episode where he comes back to the house, he literally tells Skylar this. In fact aren't his exact words 'I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it and I was alive'

Can't use that 'he's a good guy, he was supporting his family' nonsense no more. Walter was an absolute bastard, and his transition from Walter White to Heisenberg was incredible to watch.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The reason people hated Skyler at the time was because she was continually emasculating him which was kinda the point of her arc in the first couple seasons. Think about how that feelings circle, for instance.

That said, even though I understand the hate I think it was unjustified and that viewers were simply projecting Walter's powerlessness and feelings of emotional impotence onto themselves.

The entire show was about self-gratification through power fantasies. Skyler simply reflected WW's perception of the world for the viewer to see. Everything else devolves from there.

ApharmdX

Banned
Anyway, onto Skyler, who I must admit I did not like one bit in the first two seasons. I think there are three key reasons people don't like her. The first being her infidelity, the second being that she gives up on Walt in the end, but I believe the biggest is that she acts as a foil to Walter's frenzied pursuit for infamy.

Skyler's infidelity isn't a constant or ongoing thing and it was only brought on by Walter's habitual lying and negligence. Walter constantly betrays her trust and leaves his family for long periods of time as he deludes himself that he's doing what he's doing for their benefit. You can tell she does love him as she tries to rekindle and reconcile their broken household time and time again even after she finds out that he's a fucking drug kingpin. If anything people that hate Skyler are basically victim blaming, as she's involved in such an abusive relationship with seemingly one of the most dangerous men in the world and is to severe her family from him without severe physical and mental backlash.

Secondly, Skyler only gives Walt up after she realizes that there's no out or possible outcome where she, her family, and Walt could coexist. Throughout the series Skyler saves Walt from making idiotic decisions. She informs on him on how to utilize his money, come up with his fairly good lies, and live an overall incognito lifestyle. However, Walt's obsession with infamy ruined all of Skyler's mostly brilliant schemes in the end. She's pretty much the perfect crime queen, and had he listened to her and given up his ascension to be a crime lord once he had sufficient funds his life would have better off. Maybe she should have turned him from the start, but I can't fathom any scenario where there should be more disdain for her than Walter White in any regard...

One's infidelity is not ever "brought on" by the actions of the partner. Skyler was unfaithful all on her own, and with a man who wasn't half of what Walter White was. By its very nature that made her an unsympathetic character for a lot of us.

I mean, Walter is a repulsive person but he's a larger than life figure too, like Napolean. He's always the smartest person in the room. He has admirable traits even though in total the guy is a monster. So for me, I could feel some regard and even empathy, especially with his former partner's success. Skyler is never really admirable, even from the start she's a bit selfish and self-centered.

I find Breaking Bad to be much like The Sopranos in this way. If you look at Tony objectively, he's a bad guy. But he's got clear admirable traits so you root for him anyway. Walter White is similar.

Emarv

Probably the same kind of people who don't like Kay in the Godfather because she "gets in the way" of Cool Dude Michael's Cool Plans.

Emarv

The reason people hated Skyler at the time was because she was continually emasculating him which was kinda the point of her arc in the first couple seasons. Think about how that feelings circle, for instance.

That said, even though I understand the hate I think it was unjustified and that viewers were simply projecting Walter's powerlessness and feelings of emotional impotence onto themselves.

This is a good post.

SeanC

I hate it when writers write that a woman will "get back" at her piece of shit husband /boyfriend by doing something equally as shitty. To me, that undercuts any character that we're supposed to have sympathy for immediately.

Gunn herself is amazing in the role, she sells Skylar's emotional plight incredibly well, but Skylar did some dumb shit and went back and forth on being cool with Walt's activities and being against it too often to be a consistent character I could understand. After a while, I just wrote off the character and got behind Hank.

You binge watched the entire show. Now imagine you watch each season live and have to wait 1 year for the next season.

So you've watched Skyler constantly emasculate him, refuse to talk to him because she found a second cell phone and knows he is a liar, and then next season she gives away all their money (without telling Walt) to the guy she fucked, just to save his business and maybe protect herself from going to jail. How the hell would you not think Skyler is the worst thing in the world?

She totally does get better in the last few seasons but its hard to erase the really terrible story-driven things she does in the first few seasons. Walt at least had the excuse "I did this for my family", although that finally is shown as a complete lie in the end. Skyler's reasons for some of her weirder actions really just are "the story needed the plot to move this way", it was pretty inconsistent.

I think a lot of folks, including myself, were rooting for Walt even though we knew he was the bad guy, and therefore viewed her as a foil to his cause.

When viewed from a more objective point of view it's pretty clear that is not the case.

Seems to mirror a lot of people's reactions to THE SHIELD.
Vic Mackey is essentially the show's villain, despite what could be seen as 'good' intentions here and there. Although I really like the way both characters (Walt White and Mackey) are written and portrayed, I can still easily identify that they are ultimately bad people. Just a good example of strong writing, I think.

Maybe kind of similar to the Skylar situation, a lot of SHIELD fans came to despise Forrest Whitaker's character in the later seasons because from Vic's perspective, he was an antagonist. Even though Whitaker's character ends up
cracking and essentially becoming like the man he's going after
, you could still make the case that (at least at first) the primary reason many fans didn't like him was because he became a problem for Vic. You flip the script and start the story with Whitaker's character, I feel like the relationship between him and the audience becomes very different and maybe even a lot more positive.

HiResDes

One's infidelity is not ever "brought on" by the actions of the partner. Skyler was unfaithful all on her own, and with a man who wasn't half of what Walter White was. By its very nature that made her an unsympathetic character for a lot of us.

I mean, Walter is a repulsive person but he's a larger than life figure too, like Napolean. He's always the smartest person in the room. He has admirable traits even though in total the guy is a monster. So for me, I could feel some regard and even empathy, especially with his former partner's success. Skyler is never really admirable, even from the start she's a bit selfish and self-centered.

I find Breaking Bad to be much like The Sopranos in this way. If you look at Tony objectively, he's a bad guy. But he's got clear admirable traits so you root for him anyway. Walter White is similar.
I just completely disagree with every word of this. I definitely think negligence and loneliness in a relationship can push a person to cheat, and I also think that Ted is a better guy than Walt, which is really saying something considering how pathetic he was

Kaiterra

Banned

Absolutely all of this.

Kornflayx

I always hated Skyler. I don't know why, it was just some inner feeling that whatever she was going to do, it would piss me off. And I was right.

Symphonia

Banned
For some reason?
That's what I said, yes. Argue it as much as you want, Walt did what he did for his family, to ensure his family were looked after if he died. He cooked meth, he killed people, he blew people up, he threatened people, he destroyed lives - all for his family. It seems like a really fucked up thing to do, but he did it all out of desperation to provide for the ones he loves. He literally put his life on the line to make sure Skyler and Walt Jr were looked after after his demise. And, yet, that's not enough for Skyler. She constantly treats him like utter shit. As I said, I would've left her with nothing out of spite.

I fully admit that part of the reason is that I'm one of the people who spent the entire show rooting for Walt and everything he did and laughing part of the way through as well. I admit I empathized with Walt to a point due to his cancer situation.

So every time Skylar showed up she was the fucking buzzkill to everything going on with him and thus ruined my fun leading to my dislike of her. Plus I generally found her and her sister annoying as fuck.

HiResDes

That's what I said, yes. Argue it as much as you want, Walt did what he did for his family, to ensure his family were looked after if he died. He cooked meth, he killed people, he blew people up, he threatened people, he destroyed lives - all for his family. It seems like a really fucked up thing to do, but he did it all out of desperation to provide for the ones he loves. He literally put his life on the line to make sure Skyler and Walt Jr were looked after after his demise. And, yet, that's not enough for Skyler. She constantly treats him like utter shit. As I said, I would've left her with nothing out of spite.

He didn't do anything for his family, and there were times when he had outs and his family would have had enough money and he stays because he's hooked on the ego boost it gives him. Like some people have said he could have easily returned to Grey Matter and made a damn good living to take care of his bills as well.

Emarv

You binge watched the entire show. Now imagine you watch each season live and have to wait 1 year for the next season.

So you've watched Skyler constantly emasculate him, refuse to talk to him because she found a second cell phone and knows he is a liar, and then next season she gives away all their money (without telling Walt) to the guy she fucked, just to save his business and maybe protect herself from going to jail. How the hell would you not think Skyler is the worst thing in the world?

She totally does get better in the last few seasons but its hard to erase the really terrible story-driven things she does in the first few seasons. Walt at least had the excuse "I did this for my family", although that finally is shown as a complete lie in the end. Skyler's reasons for some of her weirder actions really just are "the story needed the plot to move this way", it was pretty inconsistent.

The problem is, this was shown to be a complete lie well before the end of the show. In fact, pretty early on.

Respect

Yeah, I didn't hate Skyler either...she is caught in an extremely difficult situation and I sympathized with her a lot more than I disliked her.

farisr

I didn't hate her but I did find her to be annoying, actually nearly all the women on the show seemed to be annoying which was a first for me. Guess it was just the writing style or something.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's becuse she's a total bossy buzzkill. Those reasons you lists came much later and I already disliked her character as did others.

pretty much. she was annoying as fuck. i don't care about walt being an evil psychopath, he was still entertaining. the majority of people in the show were psychopaths.

basically:

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

No. he didn't. Its literally spelled out for you that he did it to placate his ego. "I did it for me". He could have worked for Gray Matter, had his care and life insurance taken care of, and not put his family in constant danger of fucking death from Cartels and White Supremacists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom