• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Just Finished Breaking Bad Last Night, Can't Fathom The Skyler Hate (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post on Gaf and I get to say FUCK SKYLER?!

So good .

Fuck Skyler indeed. I don't remember the details,it's been a while since I watched BB but GOD DAMIN IT SON I remember my feelings towards her and her actions.

Fucking hell just nagging and whining and complaining and making Walt miserable.

Fuck that shit.

injurai

Banned
The only reason to ever root against her, is because you as the viewer are rooting for Walt the whole time. You want to see him get away with things that he shouldn't. You also know that if he stays ahead of the curve it will minimize the repercussions on his family.

Skyler is justified in everything that she does. It's just that she gets in the way. Honestly, I feel like a lot of the hate for her comes directly from misogyny. Same thing with Marie. In fact I think sometimes that they wrote Marie as a clepto to try and alleviate they hate of of Skyler. Because it was getting in the way of how people were starting to view Skyler.

I never finished the show, but I do remember disliking how she had the affair.

Walt was a monster, so I can't blame her. She basically gets suck down to the level of Walt, and it's all because she is trying to minimize the damage that he is causing. So first she get's in bed with him with the laundering business. Then she tries to live for herself.

ApharmdX

Banned
I just completely disagree with every word of this. I definitely think negligence and loneliness in a relationship can push a person to cheat, and I also think that Ted is a better guy than Walt, which is really saying something considering how pathetic he was

Look, I agree that negligence in a relationship isn't acceptable, but instead of cheating, the right thing to do is to end it, not to cheat. There's no excuse for cheating.

Also, Ted is weak. He's dumber than Walter White. He's accomplished less. One of the major themes of the show IS accomplishment; though WW makes his way in the shadows, he's immensely successful and that success "counts", so to speak. For Skyler to turn to a guy like that, then to bail him out, it again goes to undermine her character.

stuminus3

I think the so-called hate just has something to do with the difficulty that the noisier people on the internet seem to have with women. Walter White was no hero.

BigAT

That's what I said, yes. Argue it as much as you want, Walt did what he did for his family, to ensure his family were looked after if he died. He cooked meth, he killed people, he blew people up, he threatened people, he destroyed lives - all for his family. It seems like a really fucked up thing to do, but he did it all out of desperation to provide for the ones he loves. He literally put his life on the line to make sure Skyler and Walt Jr were looked after after his demise. And, yet, that's not enough for Skyler. She constantly treats him like utter shit. As I said, I would've left her with nothing out of spite.

Jesus, I swear it's like some people didn't even watch the show.

andycapps

I've always said that the fact that so many people liked Walter White and hated Skyler is proof of how well written and acted the show was. Really, Walter White is a horrible piece of shit who did everything he did for himself, because he liked doing it (how did that one poster above miss him actually saying that in the final season?). He ruined his families lives, killed countless people, had countless people killed, ruined people's lives by getting them addicted to the drugs he made, and yet.. He was a great character and a lot of people loved him on the show.

And Skyler was the one trying to get him to stop making drugs, be a dad, be a good husband, etc but many people hate her. Bryan Cranston remarked of his influence by what Gandolfini did as Tony Soprano, and it's definitely the same case here. A really, really shitty person that the audience grows to like. And lots of people hated Carmella on the Sopranos despite many similarities between her and Skyler.

Yeah I also liked her in the end. She was a little annoying in the beginning of the show but after what happened and how she reacted to it I really felt sympathy for her.

Skilletor

That's what I said, yes. Argue it as much as you want, Walt did what he did for his family, to ensure his family were looked after if he died. He cooked meth, he killed people, he blew people up, he threatened people, he destroyed lives - all for his family. It seems like a really fucked up thing to do, but he did it all out of desperation to provide for the ones he loves. He literally put his life on the line to make sure Skyler and Walt Jr were looked after after his demise. And, yet, that's not enough for Skyler. She constantly treats him like utter shit. As I said, I would've left her with nothing out of spite.

This is why people hate Skyler.

Because they totally misunderstood Walt's character and see him as some savior. You missed the entire point of the show, including some of the things Walt himself said once he realized his mistakes.

He poisoned a child, for fuck's sake.

Vlad

The character I didn't "get," was Marie. She didn't add much to the show and it felt like her kleptomania never went anywhere.

Well, while it didn't really go anywhere thematically, plotwise it was eventually used. Because she got caught stealing from the open houses, that other cop was clued in to the fact that Hank wasn't in the greatest mental state during his recovery, and gave him the Gale homicide case to get his mind off things, which eventually leads Hank to Walt.

kavanf1

The whole point is to firstly dislike Skylar and feel sympathy for Walt, because she cuckolds him. By the end you feel devastated for her, and for the way Walt has destroyed her. I really like her arc, though I admit her character irked me early on.

Rembrandt

Banned
The only reason to ever root against her, is because you as the viewer are rooting for Walt the whole time. You want to see him get away with things that he shouldn't. You also know that if he stays ahead of the curve it will minimize the repercussions on his family.

Skyler is justified in everything that she does. It's just that she gets in the way. Honestly, I feel like a lot of the hate for her comes directly from misogyny. Same thing with Marie. In fact I think sometimes that they wrote Marie as a clepto to try and alleviate they hate of of Skyler. Because it was getting in the way of how people were starting to view Skyler.

The only reason to ever root against her, is because you as the viewer are rooting for Walt the whole time.

these don't add up.

most of the people that weren't criminals were the worst people in the show and either boring or annoying. including hank and walter jr. jane got
fan favorite jesse hooked on heroin
and was still better than skyler.

Yeah, seems there are two camps who watch it. Those who want to fantasize about the power trip of being awesome at something and don't like having a nagging wife constantly interrupt it or people who see the psycho that Walt actually becomes and how it irreversibly effects everyone around him for the worse.

Skyler hate is stupid, I feel like we tend to hear it from people who mistakenly think Walter was trying to be a good guy.

I think the so-called hate just has something to do with the difficulty that the noisier people on the internet seem to have with women. Walter White was no hero.

I don't understand why you're equating disliking Skylar with like/roooting for Walt, you can still dislike both. Walt is quite clearly the biggest asshole in the show, killing countless people either by his bare hands or ordered but I can still say that I dislike Skylar has a character, not nearly has I disliked Walt, not for reason of the same caliber but I still did.

Emarv

Vince Gilligan was asked about this by Vulture. Here's his response.

One of the criticisms of Breaking Bad that keeps coming up is over the female characters. Skyler White is seen by some as this henpecking woman who stands in the way of all of Walt’s fun.

Gilligan: Man, I don’t see it that way at all. We’ve been at events and had all our actors up onstage, and people ask Anna Gunn, “Why is your character such a bitch?” And with the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I think the people who have these issues with the wives being too bitchy on Breaking Bad are misogynists, plain and simple. I like Skyler a little less now that she’s succumbed to Walt’s machinations, but in the early days she was the voice of morality on the show. She was the one telling him, “You can’t cook crystal meth.” She’s got a tough job being married to this asshole. And this, by the way, is why I should avoid the Internet at all costs. People are griping about Skyler White being too much of a killjoy to her meth-cooking, murdering husband? She’s telling him not to be a murderer and a guy who cooks drugs for kids. How could you have a problem with that?

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/vince-gilligan-on-breaking-bad.html

HiResDes

I get a feeling, and it may be a completely off base one that people find cheating outspoken wives to be worse than maniacal, selfish drug-dealing murderers and it's a little sickening. I definitely find it to be a bit misogynist

cwmartin

She's the personification of the phrase "it's not good enough."

Which is without a doubt one of the most annoying and disrespectful things you can say to someone.

Remember in Iron Man 3 when Gweynth Paltrow wanted Iron Man to stop being Iron Man, and generally act as an impediment to what you wanted to see in the story?

It's kind of like that, except drawn out over dozens of hours where the writers sometimes didn't have an idea of what to do with her.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling

So good .

Fuck Skyler indeed. I don't remember the details,it's been a while since I watched BB but GOD DAMIN IT SON I remember my feelings towards her and her actions.

Fucking hell just nagging and whining and complaining and making Walt miserable.

Fuck that shit.

Ouch. One and done.

There's too much either/or when this topic comes up. Hating Skyler doesn't mean condoning Walt. She's a bossy know-it-all, to everyone, all the time. That's even her evemtual reaction to Walt's criminal business: "I know how to do it right".

The fact that Walt is a monster doesn't make Skyler a saint. She's not likeable.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Some men hate women.
Internet has lots of those men who hate women.
They are also a vocal minority.

cwmartin

Explain how anything Walter did was indeed good in the first place

I don't mean good in the morally good usage of the term.

"It's not enough" is akin to being blind to the reason Walt started doing what he did.

Nobody gets a pass in the shoe, they are all bad people. Don't mistake disliking Skyler for condoning the character Walter's actions.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
she fucked ted, end of story

Been awhile since I watched, but hadn't she already thrown Walter out when this happened? Maybe I remembering incorrectly but I recall Skylar trying to end things with Walter, but he more or less muscled his way back into the house. Not that her cheating changes anything.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I just hated every part of breaking bad that was family drama and not drug business.

pablito

Yeah I've seen the Skyler is a bitch comments, which are totally out of line. Her busband all of a sudden dramatically changes his behavior, coming home at ungodly late hours. Refusing to tell her what he's doing. And when he makes up his lies, she knows it. He thinks he's telling good lies, but he's not, and she knows it. She has every right to be suspicious of him, and she's RIGHT about it. He's off killing people and making drugs, and her behavior towards him makes her the bitch. Right.

People give her a lot of shit for "cheating" on him with Ted. At the time, IIRC, she figured him out to be a drug dealer and handed him divorce papers. He wouldn't sign. Skyler had pretty much kicked him out of the house and he was living in that apartment, but he decided to sneak back into the house and start living there again. While they weren't legally divorced, he was still a legal owner of the house, they were romantically over at that point. She is allowed to pursue other people.

That being said, she's not a "fun" character and isn't involved with more of the "fun" storylines
imo
. While I think the character is fine, her not being a favorite makes complete sense to me. I don't hate her role or her scenes, but I don't think I was actually excited to see Skyler scenes until the whole season 5/6 fight with her, Walt and Walt Jr, ending with Walt kidnapping the baby.

edit: Aureon said what took me a couple paragraphs in one sentence lol. The family stuff isn't as exciting as the drug stuff.

Famassu

My own personal theory is that, in a lot of cases, I just put it in the same category of complaints as "women aren't funny." That is, for some reason certain people just perceive women in a more negative light no matter what they do. They don't have to be woman-hating MRA types, but they still (maybe somewhat subconsciously) are more harsh towards women acting a certain way than when men do the exact same thing (or even worse), much like some people are kinda racist without even realizing it themselves, even if they feel no desire to join the KKK & lynch black people or anything and generally treat black people ok.

So there's a group of people who will sometimes irrationally hate female characters who get in the way "strong" male characters like Walter White, no matter how horrible human beings the men are and how logical & sensible the women are.

At least that's probably a part of it.

rashbeep

Banned

Think you missed the point of the show.

Jonm1010

Banned
Vince Gilligan was asked about this by Vulture. Here's his response.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/vince-gilligan-on-breaking-bad.html

I disliked Skylar for much of the series because I thought her character was poorly developed, often poorly written and commonly used as a maneuverable plot device when convenient.

Basically I get what they were going for but I thought the execution was flawed and it is probably partly why people struggle to sympathize with her. Yeah Misogyny is another reason, but I think that is becoming a convenient cop out to shut down any criticism and doesnt tell the whole story.

Skylar is an amusing character, in that she deserves sympathy once she gets involved in Walt's operation, but she was a pretty terribly written caricature of a nagging housewife in season 1. She's overbearing, untrustworthy, and basically has no respect for Walt's autonomy in an attempt to justify Walt's initial lies and ensuing slide into criminality in the first place. I think that Vince's misogyny argument would hold slightly more weight if the writing team didn't try so hard to make the viewer dislike her initially.

By contrast, Kim in Better Call Saul (who I'm fairly sure will sooner or later turn against and confront the protagonist) is much more well done, and I don't think that the inevitable backlash against her will be nearly as severe.

HiResDes

I really think you could make a case that she's in a domestically abusive relationship and that she legitimately tried to end things with Walt at multiple points, but he's stalks and manipulates those around him to make it extremely hard for her to live without him. She gets more criminally immoral as the show gets on, but I also chalk that up to Walt's almost supernatural influence on her others. He possesses an ability to turn everyone and everything around to shit.

Why do people jump to the terms nagging or whining when a woman expresses dissatisfaction with a horrible husband, and he was by all means a horrible husband right from the start.

Yeah I've seen the Skyler is a bitch comments, which are totally out of line. Her busband all of a sudden dramatically changes his behavior, coming home at ungodly late hours. Refusing to tell her what he's doing. And when he makes up his lies, she knows it. He thinks he's telling good lies, but he's not, and she knows it. She has every right to be suspicious of him, and she's RIGHT about it. He's off killing people and making drugs, and her behavior towards him makes her the bitch. Right.

People give her a lot of shit for "cheating" on him with Ted. At the time, IIRC, she figured him out to be a drug dealer and handed him divorce papers. He wouldn't sign. Skyler had pretty much kicked him out of the house and he was living in that apartment, but he decided to sneak back into the house and start living there again. While they weren't legally divorced, he was still a legal owner of the house, they were romantically over at that point. She is allowed to pursue other people.

That being said, she's not a "fun" character and isn't involved with more of the "fun" storylines
imo
. While I think the character is fine, her not being a favorite makes complete sense to me. I don't hate her role or her scenes, but I don't think I was actually excited to see Skyler scenes until the whole season 5/6 fight with her, Walt and Walt Jr, ending with Walt kidnapping the baby.
I think this is a huge part of it. She was never in on any of the 'fun' or amusing things that happened in the show. Anytime she showed up she was kind of a wet blanket if you liked Walt not that there was anything wrong with that.

ApharmdX

Banned
I get a feeling, and it may be a completely off base one that people find cheating outspoken wives to be worse than maniacal, selfish drug-dealing murderers and it's a little sickening. I definitely find it to be a bit misogynist

There's definitely some misogyny involved with the Skyler White hate online, but you really can't see how some of her character's actions make her hard to sympathize with?

Look at it this way- wouldn't you say that most people sympathize with Jesse, and dislike how WW did him through the show? It's because, despite being a drug addict and criminal, Jesse shows his good side more often than not. Skyler doesn't. Over the whole run of the show, she's at-best just there and at her worst (the Ted stuff) pretty rotten.

Of all female characters in BB, Andrea was the most positive, and Skyler the least. I think the writers should have had more good moments for female characters in the show. It's a male-driven show to a large extent.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think people feel Skylar is "shrill." It's a total psychout because Jesse and Saul freak out about Walt just as much but because they're guys it doesn't make men as uncomfortable.

And Marie's spoon thing is just as dumb as Hank's rock thing at the end of it.

I think everyone can agree, Kristen Ritter's character wasn't "annoying."

So good .

Wind Chime
Banned
Today, 12:59 PM, Post #52

Oh man, this has got to be a record :p

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Been awhile since I watched, but hadn't she already thrown Walter out when this happened? Maybe I remembering incorrectly but I recall Skylar trying to end things with Walter, but he more or less muscled his way back into the house. Not that her cheating changes anything.

she "kicked' him out however he then realized he has just as much right to live there much like her. This was not a domestic issue it was a , my husband makes meth, however in his mind at first it was "im making meth to make money for my family when i die so they dont struggle". When he gets back in the house things are fine for a little while then she cheats on Walt

Dabanton

Walter White was a peice of shit.

I will say that female characters who spoil the 'fun' seem to come under a lot of fire from certain types. Another female character that got put on the hate train was Margaret from Boardwalk Empire. I remember some of the ott hate towards her in the gaf threads.

Also again another female character who had an affair at some point. Which was seen as one of the most evil acts imaginable. Despite Nucky fucking prositiutes regularly.

stuminus3

I don't understand why you're equating disliking Skylar with like/roooting for Walt, you can still dislike both. Walt is quite clearly the biggest asshole in the show, killing countless people either by his bare hands or ordered but I can still say that I dislike Skylar has a character, not nearly has I disliked Walt, not for reason of the same caliber but I still did.
Ah, you're talking about something different though. None of the characters in Breaking Bad are particularly likeable. It's like that by design, the allure of the show. Which is why the specific backlash against Skylar is an indication of, I hate to say it, something a bit more toxic.

I've always said that the fact that so many people liked Walter White and hated Skyler is proof of how well written and acted the show was. Really, Walter White is a horrible piece of shit who did everything he did for himself, because he liked doing it (how did that one poster above miss him actually saying that in the final season?). He ruined his families lives, killed countless people, had countless people killed, ruined people's lives by getting them addicted to the drugs he made, and yet.. He was a great character and a lot of people loved him on the show.

And Skyler was the one trying to get him to stop making drugs, be a dad, be a good husband, etc but many people hate her. Bryan Cranston remarked of his influence by what Gandolfini did as Tony Soprano, and it's definitely the same case here. A really, really shitty person that the audience grows to like. And lots of people hated Carmella on the Sopranos despite many similarities between her and Skyler.

Carmella and Skylar arw very similar as characters. That said I really liked Carmella and I always found Skylar to be off putting and annoying. I think it was because of the personality portrayal by their respective actresses.

Marie was a better Skyler. I just didn't think the character was ever really given a chance, she sort of had the unfortunate position of being the "straight, normal" person to everyone else who felt larger than life at times.

I don't get it either-she was trapped in a horrible situation that her husband put her & her family into.

Absolutely. Walt even realizes this in the end. It wasn't about the money for him-it was his ego.

Exactly. Remember when Mike and Jesse are trying to convince Walt to stop the production and they all call it quits after making good money.

Walt's answer: "Nothing stops this train".

It's all Ego. It's his way or the highway.

I binge watched the show over about a month, and by the end I literally hated every single character on the show
except for Mike, of course.

pablito

Carmella and Skylar as very similar as characters. That said I really liked Carmella and I always found Skylar to be off putting and annoying. I think it was because of the personality portrayal by their respective actresses.

There could be something to that. I loved Carmella.

Symphonia

Banned
Jesus, I swear it's like some people didn't even watch the show.
This is why people hate Skyler. Because they totally misunderstood Walt's character and see him as some savior. You missed the entire point of the show, including some of the things Walt himself said once he realized his mistakes.

He poisoned a child, for fuck's sake.
Think you missed the point of the show.
I never called him a hero or a saint. I know full well that Walt is, in fact, evil. But he did what he did for his family.

Yeah, I didn't hate Skyler either...she is caught in an extremely difficult situation and I sympathized with her a lot more than I disliked her.

This 100%! She did her best to keep her family safe with a clearly dishonest and increasingly dangerous husband.

Rembrandt

Banned
I really think you could make a case that she's in a domestically abusive relationship and that she legitimately tried to end things with Walt at multiple points, but he's stalks and manipulates those around him to make it extremely hard for her to live without him. She gets more criminally immoral as the show gets on, but I also chalk that up to Walt's almost supernatural influence on her others. He possesses an ability to turn everyone and everything around to shit.

Why do people jump to the terms nagging or whining when a woman expresses dissatisfaction with a horrible husband, and he was by all means a horrible husband right from the start.

because she wasn't as well written as all of the other characters in the show and most of her scenes weren't as exciting as the others which can lead to a dislike when she has a huge focus in the show. i think everyone that's watched the show sees walts influence but that doesn't make her character anymore enjoyable and it definitely doesn't mean a person is misogynistic.

Betty

Banned
She is unlikable.

Like seriously unlikable.

She speaks to everyone, even from episode 1, like they're dog shit, even her own family.

We sorta sympathize with her at the start because her sister is an actual monster, I mean did you hear some of the things Marie says to Skyler in front of other people?

Or how she casually insults her and acts confused when Skyler get's upset? Holy shit, I felt for Skyler and so did everyone else.

But then Marie get's pushed into the background and Skyler continues to talk down to everyone, all the time, just because.

Sure she wasn't evil, but as a character I just couldn't stand her.

I mean technically the same people who paint Walt as evil should also classify Mike as an evil character due to the things he's done, yet I'd rather be around them any day of the week than Skyler.

If she were a real person she'd be universally avoided and considered awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom