• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just want to express my genuine appreciation of Spiderman 2's most accurate presentation of ethnic diversity in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamisan

I actually lived near there, its nothing like that AT ALL.
edit
Actually the 2nd picture is pretty correct.

Last edited:
:pie_eyeroll: 2 seconds google search

3zPCbsi.jpg

marvels-spider-man-2-hard-bop-guide-1.large.jpg

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

The 2018 entry is the best in regard to narrative and character arc. Miles sequel was too much teenager rowdiness but it was pretty short.

Then here comes spiderman 2, I'm like 10 hours into the game and oh man they just want to shove everything down to my throat, air pollution, water shortage, food crisis, gay mission, people of color culture preservation.....Jeez just let me play super hero and kick some asses!

I do like the Haley 's mission however, really good implementation, let folks feel what it's like in a deaf person's perspective.
Sounds fucking awful.

That’s insomniac for you. I love their games but they are virtue signalers to the nth degree.

They have become completely insufferable. Activists masquerading as developers. What's funny is their first Spider-Man game is almost completely devoid of social commentary. They actually went back and added it to the remake, rainbow flags and all. After Miles Morales, it's clear that their priority is pushing ideological perspectives. Some people are happy to look past this but it's not something that has ever really worked out long-term... look what happened to Dice.

Go_Ly_Dow

videogames are not real life
Yes that's true, which is why some criticise games like this which promote real world political talking points, real world agendas and post modern liberal values front and centre. The inclusion of flags (which Insomniac removed for Islamic countries lolz), assisting "marginalised" groups and all the other nonsense in this game comes from real world activism which is aligned with a specific side of the political debate.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
videogames are not real life
First of all this was a very cherry picked example and misleading too.

Still, taking your point in isolation, you know that if say Queens or The Bronx were all full of just Latino or southeast Asian NPC’s then there would be a “representation matters” outcry because… video games are not real life or a danger to it except when we need them to be ;).

SRTtoZ

They have become completely insufferable. Activists masquerading as developers. What's funny is their first Spider-Man game is almost completely devoid of social commentary. They actually went back and added it to the remake, rainbow flags and all. After Miles Morales, it's clear that their priority is pushing ideological perspectives. Some people are happy to look past this but it's not something that has ever really worked out long-term... look what happened to Dice.
I mean they will learn in the end. If they go too woke they will go broke. I can't wait to see how many gay trans 13 year olds we have in Spider-Man 3.

Last edited:
Those that get outraged here are almost as bad as those on the other site, just with different issues. Anybody who played the game or actually did the basic amount of research would have seen the OP is painting an incorrect picture.
SMH, someone obviously can't either read or see the nuances.

1. Nobody was outraged, it was obviously some lighthearted sarcasm. It was you that appeared too sensitive.

2. You and the one you replied were inferring diversity = having black people, and I did not say a single thing about that at all. In the game the citizen demographic represent a well mix of all major races - black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Arabic, etc. Just because you found some scattered black thugs doesn't mean insomniac took the same ethnic representation of the enemies, they are far less diverse. I was not painting any incorrect pictures, it is an existing fact in the game.

Zathalus

SMH, someone obviously can't either read or see the nuances.

1. Nobody was outraged, it was obviously some lighthearted sarcasm. It was you that appeared too sensitive.

2. You and the one you replied were inferring diversity = having black people, and I did not say a single thing about that at all. In the game the citizen demographic represent a well mix of all major races - black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Arabic, etc. Just because you found some scattered black thugs doesn't mean insomniac took the same ethnic representation of the enemies, they are far less diverse. I was not painting any incorrect pictures, it is an existing fact in the game.
Nah, I see plenty of black thugs in the game. black hunters as well. Why it even has a black Spider-Man.

Zathalus

And not a single asian.

Those gangs need to step up on their diversity hires. They wouldn't wanna get cancelled now, would they.
All the Asian criminals in NYC got taken out in the first game.

Just not enough to go around anymore.

Whitecrow

Banned
Stop guys, please. I just bought a PS5 for exclusives and you all are making me lose will to play Spider-Man 2.
There will be more exclusives. If you dont mind wokeness in your gaming, play it.
If you mind, SM2 seems to be more of the same. If you played SM1, you wont be missing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom