• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just want to express my genuine appreciation of Spiderman 2's most accurate presentation of ethnic diversity in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cheerful crowd at park

2J0eijn.jpg

The filthy criminal bastards

tH47EP6.jpg

So glad to see such good presentation in the game!
These bandits are all white? Where's the diversity there? :messenger_grimmacing_

Shifty1897

They did nail the backpack thing though. If you're an adult wearing a backpack in a city, nobody thinks twice. If you live in a smaller town and wear a backpack, people are going to make fun of you.

Toons

Pretty much every take I see on this game from certain individuals on this site seems disingenuous and detached from reality. No one in real life goes looking for stuff like this.

Didn't the miles game have a black woman as a villain?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Nah, just a mentally ill woman.
Jeez
It’s a woman?? Certainly not feminine

Anyway, I see she reacted this way when Trump won. BEFORE knowing what Trump would accomplish and how’d he’d be. That right there shows this persons mental state and bubble-centric world view her phone and algorithm created for her

You can’t act like that before knowing what kind of job a person would do

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Pretty much every take I see on this game from certain individuals on this site seems disingenuous and detached from reality. No one in real life goes looking for stuff like this.

No. The villain was a corporate white guy. She was getting revenge for his corporate white guy greed.

Last edited:

Jeez, can this be any more stupid?

1. It's obviously a lighthearted mocking more than anything.

2. Your argument was not even the same game.

3. Why would you automatically assume diversity = having black people? OP didn't even mean to specify one or any ethnicities. Did you actually play the game to realize the citizens are well represented by all races? Do the enemies have the same diversity? Not even close, and that's the point my take. It's not disingenuous, it's a fact in the game.

That's the point OP is trying to make. Spider-man 2's wokeness is beyond belief. Barely any white people in the city except the criminals. No attractive women either or any women wearing skirts or dresses for that matter, just look at that first pic. In fact most women look like lesbians which I guess makes sense because a lot of the chatter you hear when walking by NPCs is LGBT related which is just ridiculous. I heard so many but my favorite one is a girl that says this verbatim:

Remember bi women, if you happen to like a guy , that's makes you a willing participant in bi-genocide. This is totally not propaganda. :pie_eyeroll:

Well, at least she's not having to fetch water from the well.

Roberts

You don’t understand, it is Igor, Oleg, Denis, Vlad, Ignatiy, Andrey and Sergey from Brighton Beach causing trouble outside their turf.

But seriously, the game clearly has gang members from all races so nothing to be outraged about.

mnkl13

i just finished miles morales and thought it's a pretty good game, i just coudn't with all that shit that the other spider-man doesn't care about this people or this neighbourhood, and now this is the friendly neighbourhood spider. were they really implying that peter parker is racist on a spider-man game? so looking at those pics it really doesn't surpise me. or you want representation or you don't. this is disingienuous representation of reality, for what i don't know, but it surely is not for good.

Toons

No. The villain was a corporate white guy. She was getting revenge for his corporate white guy greed.

I fail to see the problem, and she's also an antagonist in the game, as is Aaron Davis, who is also black.

Jeez, can this be any more stupid?

1. It's obviously a lighthearted mocking more than anything.

Its not lol, he's trying to make a criticism of the game by implying that its criminals are all white dudes in game but nor anybody else which is blatantly untrue. hiding behind the "hahha its just a JOKE" is such a weak defense. Theres no punchline here, there's nothing to mock. Its literally just trying to criticize the game on a made up aspect of the game.

2. Your argument was not even the same game.

Half the comments here are talking about the devs, who also made that game so its pretty relevant.

3. Why would you automatically assume diversity = having black people? OP didn't even mean to specify one or any ethnicities. Did you actually play the game to realize the citizens are well represented by all races? Do the enemies have the same diversity? Not even close, and that's the point my take. It's not disingenuous, it's a fact in the game.

I didnt assume that, OP did. Hes clearly trying to say that because all of the thugs in this sceeenshof are fair skinned that means the devs are pushing an agenda.

You realize that games like these tend to randomly generate the thug models rather than hand pick them all and codify each of them to be a race or not? Guess what, in most spidey movies even going back to the early 2000s and the old cartoons most of the crooks he fights are white dudes. No one was thinking about all of this then no one is now. Not everything is an agenda and there's no agenda here because there are multiple villainous characters of various races in these games both minor and major. Hell, i bet if you go back to the 2000s spidey movie games most/all the npc thugs are white too.itd such a nonsensical point to complain about.

Tombstone is black, Mr. Negative is Asian, i could go on. A random scene of people dancing isn't any more indicative to the population of bystanders than is the single group of crooks this dude screenshoted. So no, its not a fact, its BS and obviously not intended to be a joke either.

Last edited:

Toons

Ehh. They both got their redemption moments. Meanwhile the true antagonist of Miles Morales, the evil white guy, doesn’t get redeemed.

So if they get a redemption moment it doesn't count?

The bad guy is Simon kreiger, a character whos existed in the comics for 30 years and yes is a villainous character. I know you aren't trying to say white ceo of a literal oil company having questionable ethics is so.ehow some new concept. Thats been a thing even longer than the character has.

The point is, this thread is based on a silly premise, the games openly feature villains of various backgrounds, most of spider mans villains have been white dudes for the characters entire existence and Tombstone and sometimes shocker is the only real exception. This game hasn't changed anything that hasn't always been the case, and trying to push any crime statistics from the NYPD as accurate to the actual makeup criminals is laughable.

You'll never see the real-life versions of Simon kreiger on those stats, though no one here will deny they exist.

Hestar69

The game was a total joke in the social aspect that's for sure. From the very beginning you had Soy Parker and Morales worrying more about Sandman's mental health and feelings than the more than likely hundreds of people he would had killed by the time they arrived.
I just got the game and played that part last night and was like really..what cringe shit is this "your the ones who will need help"

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The game was a total joke in the social aspect that's for sure. From the very beginning you had Soy Parker and Morales worrying more about Sandman's mental health and feelings than the more than likely hundreds of people he would had killed by the time they arrived.
That's pretty much the whole No Way Home movie. Spider-man defying Dr. Strange, putting the whole multiverse at risk to save murderous villains, and even though one of those villains kills his aunt, he still helps them. It's propaganda of the highest order. Violent criminals are the real victims guys, even if they kill people you love, you should feel sorry for them and be on their side because society failed them they're the real victims.

I fail to see the problem, and she's also an antagonist in the game, as is Aaron Davis, who is also black.

Its not lol, he's trying to make a criticism of the game by implying that its criminals are all white dudes in game but nor anybody else which is blatantly untrue. hiding behind the "hahha its just a JOKE" is such a weak defense. Theres no punchline here, there's nothing to mock. Its literally just trying to criticize the game on a made up aspect of the game.

Half the comments here are talking about the devs, who also made that game so its pretty relevant.

I didnt assume that, OP did. Hes clearly trying to say that because all of the thugs in this sceeenshof are fair skinned that means the devs are pushing an agenda.

You realize that games like these tend to randomly generate the thug models rather than hand pick them all and codify each of them to be a race or not? Guess what, in most spidey movies even going back to the early 2000s and the old cartoons most of the crooks he fights are white dudes. No one was thinking about all of this then no one is now. Not everything is an agenda and there's no agenda here because there are multiple villainous characters of various races in these games both minor and major. Hell, i bet if you go back to the 2000s spidey movie games most/all the npc thugs are white too.itd such a nonsensical point to complain about.

Tombstone is black, Mr. Negative is Asian, i could go on. A random scene of people dancing isn't any more indicative to the population of bystanders than is the single group of crooks this dude screenshoted. So no, its not a fact, its BS and obviously not intended to be a joke either.

Jeez, imagine defending "oh there is no agenda pushing in the game" when the wokeness is shoved down to your throat throughout the game.

1. Can you at least read and realize I was OP before releasing those nonsense text of wall? From the title to the contents of the OP is all about sarcasm, everyone can see that and when it comes to you, do I have to use 48 pt bolded headline saying "oh this is a mocking"? Can you stop extrapolating what I thought when I made the thread? "Hiding behind this is just a joke"? Wow, since when one cannot be sarcastic about a game?

2. I assumed diversity = having black people, are you blind or what? Did the first screenshot only have black people or it is a mix of all races and hence the "diversity"?

3. Stop setting any strawman when arguing. When I was talking about mob enemies, you were crying "villains have other races"; when I was specifying this game you were talking "oh old spiderman movies have white thugs.". If you want to argue, argue with fact, can you find a thug group as racial diverse as the crowd in the first screenshot?

4. I am Asian and I honestly couldn't care less and when I made the thread I did not target any specified races but only to mock the inconsistence of the game's social aspect. Keep those delusionary claims of yours to your own.

Raonak

Banned
That's pretty much the whole No Way Home movie. Spider-man defying Dr. Strange, putting the whole multiverse at risk to save murderous villains, and even though one of those villains kills his aunt, he still helps them. It's propaganda of the highest order. Violent criminals are the real victims guys, even if they kill people you love, you should feel sorry for them and be on their side because society failed them they're the real victims.

It's literally a superhero movie. He's doing what any superhero would do.
Spiderman saving people who need saving, regardless of who they are and what they've done, has been part of his DNA since the beginning.
Hell, his entire origin story revolves around him NOT helping a guy who wronged him, which resulted in ben dying.

I guess these days, being a good guy = woke propaganda...?

Last edited:
Are gangs in the US typically mixed race?

Seems like it would be more realistic to have a bunch of white biker dudes, or all black or all Latino gang members, but maybe the gangs are interracial now?
Gangs in the US have always been completely racially segregated, a gang is either a black gang, a Latino gang etc and the equivalent of a "white gang" are always Neo Nazis., criminal gangs very much do not like white people and similar minded white people do like non-white people, if you're the kind of person to engage in criminal activity, then chances are you aren't exactly going to be a paragon of morality when it comes to race either.

The idea of a multiethnic gang is a media invention, biker groups may have multi racial members, but biker groups are kind of a separate thing from a "gang" gang ala something like the Crips or Bloods.

That said it's fine to pretend multiethnic gangs are a thing in something like superhero media, what's stupid is to instead have every thug you're beating up be a white guy, in NYC? Come on now.

Toons

Jeez, imagine defending "oh there is no agenda pushing in the game" when the wokeness is shoved down to your throat throughout the game.

Define "wokeness". Cuz from what I've seen it just looks like how new york looks like IRL. Nothings being shoved down your throat. You are willingly playing a game you chose to buy with your money to experience these devs representation of NYC in the modern day. And its not far off from the real thing.

1. Can you at least read and realize I was OP before releasing those nonsense text of wall? From the title to the contents of the OP is all about sarcasm, everyone can see that and when it comes to you, do I have to use 48 pt bolded headline saying "oh this is a mocking"? Can you stop extrapolating what I thought when I made the thread? "Hiding behind this is just a joke"? Wow, since when one cannot be sarcastic about a game?

It being a sarcastic mocking doesn't make it not genuine(it is) and it also doesn't make it not a stupid argument/post that is based on a faleshood.

2. I assumed diversity = having black people, are you blind or what? Did the first screenshot only have black people or it is a mix of all races and hence the "divfalsehood.

You definitely assumed all of those thugs were supposed to be white just because they have fair skin. Underneath the masks could be Asian features or whatever. Youre assuming that the game was being hypocritical by having a singular group of fair skinned criminals shown. Thats the entire premise of the post.

3. Stop setting any strawman when arguing. When I was talking about mob enemies, you were crying "villains have other races"; when I was specifying this game you were talking "oh old spiderman movies have white thugs.". If you want to argue, argue with fact, can you find a thug group as racial diverse as the crowd in the first screenshot?

Almost certainly. These mobs are randomly generated, not hand placed, so the game just picks from whatever assets it has on file and pops them up randomly. You happened to pull up on an instance of them only pulling group of white people, and assumed that they were deliberately organized to be that in the game. Thats not how game mobs work, its profoundly stupid to suggest that is how game mobs work, and I think you understand that just as well as I do.

4. I am Asian and I honestly couldn't care less and when I made the thread I did not target any specified races but only to mock the inconsistence of the game's social aspect. Keep those delusionary claims of yours to your own.

You didn't point out any inconsistency in the games social aspect though. All you pointed out was that yes, it is possible for the game to randomly generate mobs of all white dudes, and there's numerous instances of running into non white thugs in the game as well. Your post is trying to criticize an aspect of the game that is random, and conjuring an agenda out of it.

Be better.

Toons

Did you not watch tobey Maguire trilogy in which Peter tries to empathize with and save all three of his villains? In which doc ock was driven insane by tragedy largely out of his control mixed with actions of his own and is ultimately convinced to turn back his ways?

In which sandman is shown as a sympathetic villain who accidentally killed uncle Ben and just wanted to support his daughter, and Peter forgives him and let's him go at the end despite sandman threatening Peter and his loved ones?

Or when Harry osborn was influenced by his maniacal father, turns against Peter and tries to kill him, and Peter takes him to the hospital, and cried over his body as he dies?

Have yall ever watched, read, or paid attention to any spider man content? Peter is always open to his villains redeeming themselves; that's why he absolutely never kills, and why he pulls his punches. He believes its his responsibility not just to save victims from villains but if possible to save villains from themselves. Hes taken a bullet for men whove tried to take his life, he has saved incorrigible thugs from worse ones. This has always been his character from the beginning.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

100% correct.

In reality, if I were Spider-Man and my aunt, who was practically my mother, was killed by some a violent, super powered psycho, I'd absolutely beat him to death.

Define "wokeness". Cuz from what I've seen it just looks like how new york looks like IRL. Nothings being shoved down your throat. You are willingly playing a game you chose to buy with your money to experience these devs representation of NYC in the modern day. And its not far off from the real thing.

It being a sarcastic mocking doesn't make it not genuine(it is) and it also doesn't make it not a stupid argument/post that is based on a faleshood.

You definitely assumed all of those thugs were supposed to be white just because they have fair skin. Underneath the masks could be Asian features or whatever. Youre assuming that the game was being hypocritical by having a singular group of fair skinned criminals shown. Thats the entire premise of the post.

Almost certainly. These mobs are randomly generated, not hand placed, so the game just picks from whatever assets it has on file and pops them up randomly. You happened to pull up on an instance of them only pulling group of white people, and assumed that they were deliberately organized to be that in the game. Thats not how game mobs work, its profoundly stupid to suggest that is how game mobs work, and I think you understand that just as well as I do.

You didn't point out any inconsistency in the games social aspect though. All you pointed out was that yes, it is possible for the game to randomly generate mobs of all white dudes, and there's numerous instances of running into non white thugs in the game as well. Your post is trying to criticize an aspect of the game that is random, and conjuring an agenda out of it.

Be better.
Jeez, keep spinning, let's see how further you can go.

1. It's a super hero game where people have super power and the city is endangered and then you are helping with gay teenagers home coming, you are preserving culture of people of color, dealing with air pollution, water shortage, bee extinction, food crisis. Yeah, and you ask me to define wokeness? And just because I bought the game doesn't mean I have to put up with all the nonsense the dev put in the game. "And it's not far off from the real thing", LMFAO, do you know you are playing a super hero game that buildings are on fire every minute you patrol the city?

2. Oh, keep spinning it again. In your first reply you said there is no sarcasm, now you had to change it to oh being sarcastic mocking doesn't make it blah blah blah.... Could you at least stand for your own argument? Also, who are you to decide its stupid or not? Your own output is full unlogic nonsense yet you are gonna judge others?

3. Oh, I definitely assumed the white guys when I already specifically said no and there was no evidence showing in the OP I had the assumption at all. Now you are speaking for me what I thought now? Can you do better?

4. Oh, is that so? Mobs are randomly generated then it is a statistic problem. Since the game has been played by millions, I am sure you can help find a screenshot showing the thugs are as racially diverse as citizens. Oh can you not? Then what you are gonna do? Keep insisting it is your delusion way and keep spinning? Sorry that doesn't work here.

5. I didn't point out the inconsistency? Then what is the two screenshot comparison for? I mean, if you could not fathom the very basic context, then why do you even bother replying? Oh just because you have non white guys doesn't mean it is represented the same diversity as the citizens, that's the inconsistency I have been talking. So this all go back to it : can you find a thug group with all mixed races like the crowd? If you cannot, no matter how you spinning, your argument is just so pale.

I don't have to be better to make the logical call.

Toons

Jeez, keep spinning, let's see how further you can go.

That's part of your problem actually is that you aren't arguing in good faith. You're just trying to pull a reaction in response to criticizing of your post.

1. It's a super hero game where people have super power and the city is endangered and then you are helping with gay teenagers home coming, you are preserving culture of people of color, dealing with air pollution, water shortage, bee extinction, food crisis. Yeah, and you ask me to define wokeness? And just because I bought the game doesn't mean I have to put up with all the nonsense the dev put in the game. "And it's not far off from the real thing", LMFAO, do you know you are playing a super hero game that buildings are on fire every minute you patrol the city?

Air pollution and water shortages is woke now? Food crisis is woke? A gay character existing in New York is woke?

No, thats not far off from the real thing haha. All of those are real things in New York and other places. As for your last comment, are you trying to suggest that its not supposed to be realistic? Because there's no way you dont see how that defeats your own initial argument. If you can accept that this new york isn't realistic because superhero ish events happen, then you can also accept that a group of five white criminals, which is also a real thing that happens, can exist in the game.

And yes, you agreed to put up with whatever they put in the game when you paid for it. Nothing was forced. Nothing was shoved. If you were averse to seeing air pollution and a gay person mentioned in a game, you could have not bought it.

2. Oh, keep spinning it again. In your first reply you said there is no sarcasm, now you had to change it to oh being sarcastic mocking doesn't make it blah blah blah.... Could you at least stand for your own argument? Also, who are you to decide its stupid or not? Your own output is full unlogic nonsense yet you are gonna judge others?

I never said there was no sarcasm. I said there was no punchline. Because you're not joking you're being serious about this element of the game you are criticizing, you aren't making a joke. The sarcasm was obvious, its just not good sarcasm because it isnt honest sarcasm.

Im just as free to deem your attempt at "sarcasm" stupid as you are to make up problems in a game and whine about air pollution being mentioned in it.

3. Oh, I definitely assumed the white guys when I already specifically said no and there was no evidence showing in the OP I had the assumption at all. Now you are speaking for me what I thought now? Can you do better?

Your entire post was trying to "sarcastically" highlight an implied contradiction by stating that all the criminals are white but non criminals aren't. That's literally the whole post. What else were we supposed to extrapolate from this if that wasn't your intent? Idk why you're attempting to backtrack, just own the post and argue it on its merits. Tnats how a discussion is had.

4. Oh, is that so? Mobs are randomly generated then it is a statistic problem. Since the game has been played by millions, I am sure you can help find a screenshot showing the thugs are as racially diverse as citizens. Oh can you not? Then what you are gonna do? Keep insisting it is your delusion way and keep spinning? Sorry that doesn't work here.

Hahaha I can. In fact ppl already have in this very thread, it's not hard. You cannot seriously be trying to argue that your cherry picked screenshot is indicative of the entire game can you? I can go on YouTube and find mobs featuring non white characters in less than 5 minutes, and you know this already. Like why not just admit you made a dumb comment instead of digging your heels in dude? It's childish behavior.

5. I didn't point out the inconsistency? Then what is the two screenshot comparison for? I mean, if you could not fathom the very basic context, then why do you even bother replying? Oh just because you have non white guys doesn't mean it is represented the same diversity as the citizens, that's the inconsistency I have been talking. So this all go back to it : can you find a thug group with all mixed races like the crowd? If you cannot, no matter how you spinning, your argument is just so pale.

I don't have to be better to make the logical call.

You are the one now claiming the two screenshots was just a mockery, and wasn't assuming the characters were white, so what point were you trying to make then dude? Be consistent.

Your fourth sentence is actually hilarious because it applies to your own claims here. Just because you found one crew of white criminals in the game does not reflect the game in its entirety, which objectively features criminals of various complexions, and is a part of a series of games from the same developer that features various ethnicities and races in their criminsl groups. Hell the first game actually had mr negatives crew who were entirely composed of implied to be Asians as a unique mob in game, where was this nonsense complaint then?

You made a bad post, several have called you out on it. Just own up to it instead of trying to muddy the original message.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom