• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Rare, but they created two of the most repulsive characters in Donkey Kong 64.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
OX9Ddtb.png

Troff and Scoff.

Yeah, I know a lot of people are mixed on Rare's designs, but I actually enjoy most of them when it comes to Donkey Kong and Banjo Kazooie. Not every character is perfect, or super well-designed, but I thought they fit the world well enough. I think Donkey Kong 64 suffered a bit though from going towards the more cartoony nature of Banjo-Kazooie and away from its more atmospheric, "darker" Country-style, and I disliked how Donkey Kong in 64 was so much smaller than everyone---it was weird since he should usually be a character who has a sense of size. I guess it was due to the 64 limitations, bigger models were easier to handle, but it still bugs me regardless.

But these guys are just so unappealing to me. Troff is the biggest offender---just the way he looks with those yellow eyes and the realistic pig squeal he makes freaked me out as a kid, and he looks oddly realistic compared to most of the other characters you run into in Donkey Kong 64. Scoff isn't as bad, but still his design bothers me. Rare loved the protruding belly + man nipples look, but I think these guys really just look off with the way they're proportioned.

And feeding them bananas to make Scoff grow fat was just really off-putting to me as a kid, especially how he belched afterwards. I almost feel like there's some weird feeder fetish underlying this whole deal, like Rare was trying to just make this whole process feel gross and icky. And really, this was probably one of the dumbest implementations of a Collectible---you gotta feed these dudes bananas so one of them will be heavy enough to prop the other one up to reach the key to the Boss Door.

I'm super-excited about Donkey Kong 64 tomorrow, but I'm not looking forward to seeing these dudes again.

Watch Da Birdie

Kong Crew in 64 were cool as hell...

I still think they should've just used Dixie over Tiny (especially consider how Tiny turned out later on), but Lanky and Chunky were solid. Don't really want to see them in Retro Donkey Kong, but throwing them into a Mario Spin-Off could be neat.

I like collectathons a lot and played and loved just about every Rare game except Donkey Kong 64 but I don't want to blow my eshop money already.

Should I download this game in a few days???

Dad

I like collectathons a lot and played and loved just about every Rare game except Donkey Kong 64 but I don't want to blow my eshop money already.

Should I download this game in a few days???

That depends. Do the worlds "over 4000 collectables" make you giddy or strike fear into your heart?

Watch Da Birdie

Biggest problem with Rare is a lot of their tertiary characters (minor characters, mooks) are pretty unmemorable, outside I think Donkey Kong Country.

Like when I played Banjo Kazooie recently I realized the game doesn't really have any iconic or memorable enemies whatsoever. They're all pretty bland, and there's not really any "signature" enemy like how DKChas Kritter, Mario has Goomba, Kirby has Waddle Dee, etc., and that I think is a major flaw for a cute platformer to have. Good enemy design is one of the most important elements of a game for me, especially a mascot platformer.

That depends. Do the worlds "over 4000 collectables" make you giddy or strike fear into your heart?

Well, both.

If the game is well made, giddy.

If it's lackluster and poorly designed, fear.

I think the reason I never got to around playing it was because of the inconsistent reviews.

CassSept

Eh, at least they're not playable? Lanky is atrocious. What a weird time for Nintendo, Lanky, Waluigi and Tingle all within a year. At least the latter two fall into so bad it's good category, especially Waluigi.

Though to be fair I really dislike most of Rare's designs.

potam

Banned
I'd say, you know, the platforming mechanics are more important than side-character design in a platformer.

Dad

Well, both.

I think the reason I never got to around playing it was because of the inconsistent reviews.

I'd say it's a pretty fun game to play through normally and an absolute chore to 100%. There are 500 color coded bananas per level that only the corresponding Kong can pick up. It essentially makes you scour every corner of the level five times.

Rare's character designs have always been gross.

Hell nah!

Tp me if you insult Rare's character designs like in their DK and Banjo games (at least in the Nintendo era) you do the same to Nintendo, why?

Because they share MANY of the same design quirks, especially in the Mario series.

Not to mention Nintendo kept numerous characters fully intact post-buyout, including DK, Diddy, Funky, Lanky, etc.

480px-Diddy4.jpg
437px-DiddyKong2.png

Watch Da Birdie

The goods are over this way ;)

oM3aNpI.png

I remember the Nintendo Power Donkey Kong Country Power Guide had this as the back-cover of the magazine. Great times.

I miss Nintendo Power Guides, I used to love buying them when I got a game (or didn't, I had guides for games I didn't own) and reading them in the car on the way home or in the bathroom.

Well, both.

I call the idea of artificially inflating completion time of a game with meaningless collectibles and gates: "Stamperism." So named for the Stamper bros of Rare, circa Donkey Kong 64.

That said, it's not the worst offender of that kind of design, but it was the first time I was horribly annoyed by it.

Phew, for a second there I was worried that this thread was about my beloved K. Rool.

Troff and Scoff are hideous, but that's part of their charm. The thing about Rare is that their characters (for the most part) aren't badly designed, but the early CGI artwork makes them look creepy. Mario didn't look too hot in that era, either.

Uh oh, are we getting to the point where people realize that Rare is probably the most overrated developer of all time?

It's funny because their best character design came from the post MS-buyout period.

Salsa

That's a prototype image, back when they were going to be kids. They had different proportions in the final game, where they're young adults:

2371-xbqjmdsxkw.jpg

yeah, and they're even worse

I played hundreds of hours of GFJ, I wish I was less aware of how everyone in it looked ;_;

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
their characters are always fucking hideous
These weren't even the designs in the final game. It's probably more an instance of 3D renders at the time trying to bring N64 models to life. I don't think there's anything really offensive about Jet Force Gemini's character design in game.
J0I7DEI.jpg

Uh oh, are we getting to the point where people realize that Rare is probably the most overrated developer of all time?

It's funny because their best character design came from the post MS-buyout period.

Are you implying that Diddy Kong is badly designed

Barring Nintendo EAD, Rare is the greatest developer of all-time. And no amount of revisionism will change that, dammit.

Top Bottom