• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love Rare, but they created two of the most repulsive characters in Donkey Kong 64.

Neiteio

Smrpg_bowser.gif
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I said I like how Rare's characters look in-game. What does SMRPG Bowser have to do with anything?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I like K. Rool, but I do think Rare set out to make him sort of unappealing and ugly...after all, he was a villain, and unlike Japanese media which tends to make good-looking or cute villains, Western media tends to be more willing to make them ugly.

kJFH3HJ.png

I mean, he's got a really weird eye that's pulsing red, a comically fat and disproportionate body with moobs and an outie-belly button, and I always thought as this pose demonstrates he was also intended to come across as a bit effeminate (the television show played this up even more), which is a common othering element applied to a lot of villains since the average heteronormative audience finds that an undesirable trait. Of course, disliking K. Rool doesn't mean you hate fat people or are homophobic---Rare designed the character using stereotypical elements in mind to be off-putting, and finding that off-putting doesn't mean you think the groups it stereotypes are off-putting themselves. It's actually why I don't get Gonzo why you think people disliking K. Rool means they hate fat people, since it doesn't seem like Rare intended him to be a body-positive character. Troff and Scoff seems to suggest they just see "fat" as an easy off-putting characteristic to give to a villain, or use as a comedic element, which happens often throughout their games.

I'm mixed on some of Nintendo's post-Rare designs of the DK crew, but I think they actually made K. Rool far more aesthetically pleasing without totally betraying the original design. I forgot where this design comes from...his appearance in Mario Baseball wasn't this one, and I found that one actually pretty poor, but this one is good and I'll be pleased to see something like this in possibly Retro Donkey Kong or Smash in the future:

QiiL67c.jpg

His eye has been toned down, and overall he's still round without being grotesquely disproportionate and awkward looking. Also a far more inviting color-scheme.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I said I like how Rare's characters look in-game. What does SMRPG Bowser have to do with anything?

He's still upset that no one likes K Rool.
And people say I'm hostile

Jesus Christ

I posted a picture of a horribly drawn Bowser to complement your point about not putting any stock into early CGI character renders from the 90s. Bowser looking like shit in this form doesn't mean the character is badly designed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That reminds me I can't imagine how Geno would actually look outside the SMRPG art-style, his design doesn't seem like it'd really lend itself well to a full 3D render in Smash.

Neiteio

And people say I'm hostile

Jesus Christ

I posted a picture of a horribly drawn Bowser to complement your point about not putting any stock into early CGI character renders from the 90s. Bowser looking like shit in this form doesn't mean the character is badly designed.
I wasn't being hostile. I legitimately didn't understand what you were trying to say, lol.

In game the characters looked fine for the era, but the CG renders were hot garbage stylistically.
In Fact I'd have to say that Rares designs were so tightly focused around their respective game world that they simply don't work outside of that context or backdrop.

So no, old Rare wasn't overrated, they were the best at what they did and their games from the SNES/N64 era are rightfully regarded as classics... yeah even despite their flaws and sometimes abstruse designs.

They were unique, and still are, and the level of dedication to detail and content was unparalleled back then. Hell I'd argue that Perfect Dark is still to this day unmatched on consoles when it comes to game modes, options, challenges, map count, weapon count and gender representation out of the box.

KingV

I like collectathons a lot and played and loved just about every Rare game except Donkey Kong 64 but I don't want to blow my eshop money already.

Should I download this game in a few days???

I feel like Rares biggest problem historically was that they never really realized when enough was enough. If collecting "100 notes in a level is cool, then collecting 100 bananas 6x with different characters will be even better!"

This is that game where someone should have asked if it was fun. They just went way overboard on the collection.

I feel like Rares biggest problem historically was that they never really realized when enough was enough. If collecting "100 notes in a level is cool, then collecting 100 bananas 6x with different characters will be even better!"

This is that game where someone should have asked if it was fun. They just went way overboard on the collection.

I hear ya.

I loved Banjo Kazooie but this seems excessive and almost trolling.

spanks

Yeah, they had their fair share of abominations, but I actually think Rare's DK designs generally had a lot more soul than Nintendo's.

40qqLXp.jpg

DarkTom

Lanky's awesome, he was really funny and his gameplay abilities were cool.

Those two in the OP are weird but I was OK with them. Tiny on the other hand was really unnecessary when you have Dixie, I thought they were the same at first. That fox with the plans was annoying too.

Looking back, artistically the post Nintendo era definitely seems to hold up way better. Kameo, Viva Pinata, and Star Fox Adventures all look great. Then again, like others pointed out the 90s renders do look like trash.

@MUWANdo

Banned
These weren't even the designs in the final game. It's probably more an instance of 3D renders at the time trying to bring N64 models to life. I don't think there's anything really offensive about Jet Force Gemini's character design in game.

Those were the original proportions, before Miyamoto "suggested" they change them.

MrBadger

I've always been mixed on Rare's designs. In the SNES days, their designs were pretty good, but then they dropped off a cliff when the N64 era came along. Lanky is love though

DarkTom

Is the thread becoming a "what's the best/worse kong ?" thread ?
Because yeah, Kiddy has to be my less favorite.

fhqwhgads

Uh oh, are we getting to the point where people realize that Rare is probably the most overrated developer of all time?

It's funny because their best character design came from the post MS-buyout period.
Nah, that award goes to post PS2 era Naughty Dog.

Frodo

Rare didn't make Xenoblade Chronicles X though

In MONOLITH's defence, when talking about characters design, only the faces are bad. The designs overall are usually okay or good most of the time (save from a few outfits). And enemy and world design are superb.

As much as I love RARE's output from the SNES and N64 era, the character designs are mostly just bad. But maybe that was a 90s thing. Because they didn't bother me too much back in the time.

fhqwhgads

Seems like they're more popular than they've ever been right now though, but I get that this was probs just an irrelevant knee jerk response.
Nah, that ain't the case. I'll refrain from driving the thread into irrelevant territory though. On topic, I still stand that Rare isn't overrated, their general style in both games and design just seems to rub people the wrong way.

Rare is overrated in the sense that none of their games when you replay them without the context of hype or rose-tinted glasses are THE BEST GAME EVER MADE material some of the press made out at the time because the graphics were pretty.

However it absolutely isn't in terms of most of their output being good to excellent. DKC shows its age but DKC2 is still tied with Yoshi's Island as the best SNES game to me. Art styles are always subjective, but whether it's the low resolution that saves them or just the gameplay/music holding things up, I think the DKC trilogy and BK games look great. Like an earlier poster said, the 90's CGI art can age like shit sometimes (and Rare isn't remotely the only ones who suffered from this), but in their actual games those designs worked perfectly fine. People like to exaggerate
though candy kong and fat man nipples everywhere are admittedly questionable

And feeding them bananas to make Scoff grow fat was just really off-putting to me as a kid, especially how he belched afterwards. I almost feel like there's some weird feeder fetish underlying this whole deal, like Rare was trying to just make this whole process feel gross and icky. And really, this was probably one of the dumbest implementations of a Collectible---you gotta feed these dudes bananas so one of them will be heavy enough to prop the other one up to reach the key to the Boss Door.
I'll always be left second guessing with Rare. Especially now given Gruntilda Winkybunion in Banjo-Kazooie and the sound composer pointing out at this years AGDQ that winky is sang for a penis and not once did Nintendo ask about that, they were concerned with the "thank you for playing" voice though as Nintendo thought it was saying "fuck you". It seems like an odd thing to bring up unless it was an intentional joke.

As for using a lot of bananas to prop open a door a scale could have been used but I suppose they needed an NPC for the process.

Those two in the OP are weird but I was OK with them. Tiny on the other hand was really unnecessary when you have Dixie, I thought they were the same at first. That fox with the plans was annoying too.
I've heard this is due to not wanting to use characters introduced after DKC1 (something about planning starting at the same time as the rest of the DKC trilogy) but then Wrinkly is included making no sense of that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rare is overrated in the sense that none of their games when you replay them without the context of hype or rose-tinted glasses are THE BEST GAME EVER MADE material some of the press made out at the time because the graphics were pretty.

I'd argue that Banjo-Kazooie still qualifies today. It's a near perfect 3D platformer.

I also believe Blast Corps could be placed at that level as well.

Top Bottom