• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss City of Heroes / City of Villains (MMORPG)

TVexperto

It was the best superhero game and mmorpg I have ever played. I never liked WoW and the middle age games but a modern MMORPG was exactly what I wanted and boy did they deliver, a huge and diverse city, great skill tree and amazing levels / "dungeons".

I wonder why we never got a sequel or why no other game company could ever achieve what they did almost 10 years ago. DC Universe Online and Champions Online never even came close.

It might be my nostalgia talking but meeting new people to play with on Atlas Plaza with the soundtrack in the background was fantastic, seeing NPCs react to you and seeing LVL 50 superheroes run or fly really fast through the city while you are still just lvl 7 really motivated you.
Also the customization was limitless, you could literally create what you had in mind as your superhero.

There were rumours about it beeing ressurected by players trying to buy the IP and the game to run their own servers but thats over a year ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK6sBGijSQk

I just cant get into mmorpgs like black desert online, guild wars 2 or other. I really wish NCSoft would make a true sequel to City of Heroes.

God, it was awesome. Quit before CoV dropped but thoroughly enjoyed CoH... The character creation was so much fun from what I remember.

If it gets resurrected, I'll pay a monthly sub to keep it going and enjoy it again.

I actually only picked it up when City of Villains came out and went back to Heroes later but yeah I really miss it too and I've been thinking about it a lot lately. The options for making different types of characters were pretty insane and it was always cool to see the different types of characters people would make. I also do remember that feeling of seeing higher leveled players, it blew my mind when I saw people flying around for the first time.

TheStig88

You and me both OP. I didn't play it often, but without fail I'd get the itch every so often where I'd play the hell out of it for a couple months.

Still haven't forgiven NCSoft.

I played a ton when it first launched. One of the best character ceators and the power sets was really diverse. But the game back then was very limited in the content and variety. Maybe they fixed it with some of the expansions but it didn't have a lot of end game content when I was active in the game

Maligna

Banned
An RPG set in an original costumed superhero universe that's not Marvel or DC is a huge fucking gap that someone needs to fill. You could make a mint.

Me too OP ;__;

I loved City of Heroes, but what really hooked me was City of Villains. Mastermind 4 lyfe! Never played anything like it before or since. And the community was so good! Only wholly excellent MMO community I've ever seen, everyone was really chill.

Oh, and the good news is that the spiritual successor is coming along pretty well (if pretty slowly).

http://cityoftitans.com/

They just put out some stuff about their character creator prototype, it looks pretty neat. And very involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BswGrULkZao

And also very early, heh. But coming along nicely, fairly regular updates.

Dunlop

Loved the game but it had major balance issues from what I remember.

I recall hitting like level 28 on my regen hero and basically becoming unkillable. I would kill pull a whole area of 10+ level mobs and still wouldn't go down.

I just played vanilla so maybe it was addressed

I agree with the character creation, it was amazing

Slixshot

Banned
My friends and I logged hundreds and hundreds of hours into both games. What a couple of fantastic games.

This was also around the time of Smallville and Heroes (season 1) so we were just living in the superhero goodness!

I would literally be playing CoX right now if it still existed. On top of being the objectively best MMO, it also (in my opinion) handled the F2P elements better than most any other game in the genre

I didn't like how they locked away the characters I had made and the customization options I had purchased before the F2P behind paywalls after the shift.

Effect

I really enjoyed this game. Especially once City of Villains came out. There are few MMORPGs that I can say I loved playing and I've played a lot but City of Heroes/Villains is in my top 5 if not my top 3.

Champions Online was/is (haven't played in a long time) a good alternative I felt but it always was missing something that CoX had. There was just a level of polish that CoX had over it.

I didn't like how they locked away the characters I had made and the customization options I had purchased before the F2P behind paywalls after the shift.

You think that's bad? You should look at how Champions Online handles things, fuckers outright deleted my freebuild character after I unsubscribed 'cause I didn't have any Gold slots.

*fumes quietly*

Tonguer

I loved this game. I wish I could still jump in from time to time, but like most mmorpgs, once the community starts to move on, some of the magic dwindles. I remember taking a break from the game and coming back to difficulty finding a group. It seemed at the time that unlike/until WOW, it was hard to do anything meaningful solo in this genre.

Being in a group of heroes though... so awesome. RPing in a group of heroes and being the entertainment while playing (MC/healer) is still some of the most fun I've had in any game.

jax

Banned
The best MMO of all time. NCdicks will never get a penny from me for cancelling CoH. The customization, mission building and base building will never be topped. I had tons of maxed out toons all completely unique.. I'm sad now. Thanks OP.

The best MMO of all time. NCdicks will never get a penny from me for cancelling CoH. The customization, mission building and base building will never be topped.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the bases... we had one guy in our supergroup, and, like, that was all he'd do. He planned expansions and decor and shit. He was actually pretty good.

Jabba

Banned
Yeah, it was a great Super hero mmorpg. I remember my burn tank with tons of toggles. It was almost being like an invuln tank defensively but with a shit load of offense. They nerfed it, as they should have.

I loved herding Freakshow for the respective level you had to be. Fighting them was extremely fun for me. I found a pattern out on Peligrine Island that gave shit loads of xp. My guild Brotherhood of Paragon was freaking out how much their xp bars were moving. We were the highest levels at the time on Protector server. Good times, indeed. Thano, Aang and Sludge were the main crew I ran with. Loved Sludges Radiation heals and debuffs.

@Effect

I also played Champions and agree that it had something missing compared to CoH.

If I can't have City of Heroes come back, I'd at least like to see someone make a good superhero CRPG with great character customization.

How's Freedom Force in that regard, come to think of it?

If I can't have City of Heroes come back, I'd at least like to see someone make a good superhero CRPG with great character customization.

How's Freedom Force in that regard, come to think of it?

I don't think it has much/any character customization. More of an SRPG.

(Assuming I'm thinking of the right game).

Effect

Another disappointing thing about City of Heroes is that I think it could have been salvaged and made into something else. The content (factions, lore, characters), systems, etc were all there to make a really good single player or co-op game superhero game or franchise,. It didn't have to completely die.

Another disappointing thing about City of Heroes is that I think it could have been salvaged and made into something else. The content (factions, lore, characters), systems, etc were all there to make a really good single player or co-op game superhero game or franchise,. It didn't have to completely die.

Too true. NCSoft probably doesn't have the dough to diversify like that, though.

I've never really understood the general lack of superhero RPGs. I'd love a good single player one these days.

Yeah, it's odd. I guess it's just down to the history of the genre, first RPGs are all based on D&D to some extent. Sci-fi is most of the rest. Good superhero RPG would be really cool.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I never got really far into the game back then, but I remember having a lot of fun just creating a couple of heroes and seeing the differences between superpowers.

tw1164

I played as a rock controller. I loved having my mud golems (who looked like shit, literally) go and fuck mobs up.

The Mastermind class in CoV was a lot of fun, too. The Going Rogue preorder was worth it just to get the Demon Summoning powerset.

Mastermind da best. Seriously.

I liked how diverse the minion sets were, like Ninjas got a penalty from having a lot of them out at once, so they played entirely differently from the others.

The writing really improved with Going Rogue as well. That mission where you go into a bank to make a withdrawal and everybody's freaking out because "OMG it's a villain" was hilarious.

I made probably at least 50 characters in CoH/CoV and every single one of them had some kind of a backstory or concept behind them. I've never had so much fun in an MMO. When they introduced ragdoll physics, I ran around punching bad guys and taking screenshots when they landed in awkward positions.

Oh, and I still have a crappy screenshot of my only level 50 character (told you I was an alt-oholic).

0sUJm3N.jpg

Jonbo298

People tried having serious discussions with NCsoft to buy the rights and keep it going. All rumors I can recall said that NCsoft did not care to let someone else keep CoX alive.

I poured so many countless hours into CoH/V that I hold fond memories of it. I was in a supergroup that was the first to take down post-issue 1(2?)Hamidon when they buffed that gelatinous thing and Hami enhancements were god tier. Even greater in the early days was the game was coded to drop 1 enhancement per character upon Hami's death, but for some reason spawned creatures counted also. So teams were heavily stacked as Fire/Kin controllers to maximize fire imps spawned and one dedicated healer on a tank constantly taunting Hami. He dies, every controller is loaded with enh's and we divvy it up fairly.

There is an option, if some aren't aware, to at least be back in the CoH world. Check out Paragon Chat or Titan Icon. http://www.cohtitan.com

People tried having serious discussions with NCsoft to buy the rights and keep it going. All rumors I can recall said that NCsoft did not care to let someone else keep CoX alive.

I poured so many countless hours into CoH/V that I hold fond memories of it. I was in a supergroup that was the first to take down post-issue 1(2?)Hamidon when they buffed that gelatinous thing and Hami enhancements were god tier. Even greater in the early days was the game was coded to drop 1 enhancement per character upon Hami's death, but for some reason spawned creatures counted also. So teams were heavily stacked as Fire/Kin controllers to maximize fire imps spawned and one dedicated healer on a tank constantly taunting Hami. He dies, every controller is loaded with enh's and we divvy it up fairly.

There is an option, if some aren't aware, to at least be back in the CoH world. Check out Paragon Chat or Titan Icon. http://www.cohtitan.com

Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if someone managed to recreate the character creator. That's all I really need.

Maligna

Banned
I had a pure healer superhero. Like, no attacks at all. Super groups loved me and it was surprisingly fun.

Made me want to play a pure healer in every game from then on, unfortunately not many games feature that as something you can do.

CoH was rad. I loved the game and played it nonstop for years. It still pops up in my dreams frequently, like it's just part of how things are supposed to normally be. Kinda weird.

I miss City of Heroes and if it was brought back (with active development for new content and stuff) I'd probably play it quite a bit. Not as much as I did in high school, I don't have that kind of free time, but a good amount.

To be totally honest though, I had basically stopped playing it about a year and a half before the shutdown notice came. But it was still a 'log in and check stuff out occasionally' kind of game. I'd hit it up whenever new content was out to see how things were going, resub for a month or two here and there. That kind of thing.

But no games should ever be killed off like this one was, especially when there's still a large active playerbase. Put in frozen development sure, sold off to another company okay, but never just outright shut down like that. It's gross that there's no legal requirements to allow players access to an offline version or server code when stuff gets shut down.

I'm so glad you made this thread lol

I lament about it with my brother at least once a week. All the stories we share about Hamidon raids and running the Sewers. Frostfire missions. Archvillain farming on Peregine Island. Things that only people who played it will understand.

I still have a sculpture of one of my level 50's. I sometimes imagine waking to news of it being brought back due to fan demand. A hopeless dream.

180945_10150405564385099_4332814_n.jpg
263247_10150737902285099_4003558_n.jpg

jax

Banned
I'm so glad you made this thread lol

I lament about it with my brother at least once a week. All the stories we share about Hamidon raids and running the Sewers. Frostfire missions. Archvillain farming on Peregine Island. Things that only people who played it will understand.

I still have a sculpture of one of my level 50's. I sometimes imagine waking to news of it being brought back due to fan demand. A hopeless dream.

180945_10150405564385099_4332814_n.jpg
263247_10150737902285099_4003558_n.jpg
Damn, that's awesome. Did you sculpt this?

Vinland

Banned
3 accounts. 2 with 11 lvl 50s between them. I really miss the game. I take a share in the responsibility for fly, fire fire tank and fire invuln tank nerfage early on. Me and a friend ran power leveling groups of Alts every day for months. We even had secret maps where you could pl even after they took the werewolf dumpster and caltrop graveyards away from us. We were build scientists lol.

This was all after we had massive fun with the game. Villains was good but it just never caught on with our group. I do miss it. Wish they open sourced the servers. It definitely was such a great game.

Kimawolf

yeah it was pretty crap what NC Soft did, and it ensured I never played another NC SOFT game. COX was an amazing game and would have been kick ass for a sequel but alas it wasn't to be.

The fact they canceled it not due to it being a money drain but other "reasons" is bullshit still to this day and I await the day someone buys the rights and makes it into a massive success.

Funny thing. they canceled COH right as the Super Hero boom was about to REALLY blow up As Avengers had launched a few months earlier and was taking the world by storm.

yeah it was pretty crap what NC Soft did, and it ensured I never played another NC SOFT game. COX was an amazing game and would have been kick ass for a sequel but alas it wasn't to be.

The fact they canceled it not due to it being a money drain but other "reasons" is bullshit still to this day and I await the day someone buys the rights and makes it into a massive success.

Funny thing. they canceled COH right as the Super Hero boom was about to REALLY blow up As Avengers had launched a few months earlier and was taking the world by storm.

Yeah, if they'd kept the lights on they'd have probably made a tidy bundle.

Ozzie666

I originally played COH but eventually went to DCO after that died. I'm actually fine with DCO

Original DCOU was fantastic up until the hack really and may the first expansion which brough in Central City, Electricity powers. Current state of the game is terrible and just a pay to win/speed up timers.

City of heroes paved the way, but the gameplay and grind in DCUO, escpially when it had a great population. So many didn't come back after hack.

Top Bottom