• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

The third consideration is that since airflow is fairly poor, you will want to replace the bottom fan with a pair of high pressure/CFM fans. Swiftech Helix, Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15, Noctua NF-F12, Noiseblocker Eloop 1300/1900 RPM are what you want to be looking at.

As always, please notify me if you notice any errors or if you have some useful information. Thanks!

-zfz.Michalius

Nice list, but isn't the airflow in the FT03 kinda decent with the stock fan? When a regular CPU heatsink is used it seems to be quite cool and while a high TDP GPU like you said isn't recommended a smaller fan wouldn't give it more air.

Have you compared the stock fan to those you mentioned?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB is the one to get. Fast and reliable.

Many of the other brands use different SATA controllers and a significant chunk have serious issues (locking up for several seconds, bootup crashes, corrupt partition tables). And their fixes have 3rd world firmware updates.

Shambles

Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB is the one to get. Fast and reliable.

Many of the other brands use different SATA controllers and a significant chunk have serious issues (locking up for several seconds, bootup crashes, corrupt partition tables). And their fixes have 3rd world firmware updates.

These chicken little posts are getting tiring. Let go of the past and come back to reality. The growing pains of SSDs are largely over and it's time for people to stop parroting the same statements over and over again. If you're looking for storage to run the backbone of your corporate network is one thing, but for 99.9% of us that doesn't matter. If you're in the .1% you already know what you're looking for and aren't here looking for advice.

So come to find out my power supply and videocard are incompatible.

Guy at the computer store said I should consider getting a less-powerful card. He says I could try a bigger power supply but it might be problematic.
I went by the chart posted in the OP. What the fuck? Goddammit.

Jesus fucking christ what a pain in the ass. I hate PCs.

teh_pwn

These chicken little posts are getting tiring. Let go of the past and come back to reality. The growing pains of SSDs are largely over and it's time for people to stop parroting the same statements over and over again. If you're looking for storage to run the backbone of your corporate network is one thing, but for 99.9% of us that doesn't matter. If you're in the .1% you already know what you're looking for and aren't here looking for advice.

Parroting? I'm basing this both on personal experience and reviews.

Crucial C300 locked up 30 seconds on me near daily, and a firmware update bricked it. Crucial m4 reboots 10% of the time during startup, so I had to edit Windows settings to ignore startup failure and start as normal.

Edit: I just searched the thread. Really not much mentioned on this SSD. So I have no idea who the hell I'm parroting.

mkenyon

Banned

Guy at the computer store said I should consider getting a less-powerful card. He says I could try a bigger power supply but it might be problematic.

More info is needed.
thankyou mkenyon for the cables <3
NP!
Nice list, but isn't the airflow in the FT03 kinda decent with the stock fan? When a regular CPU heatsink is used it seems to be quite cool and while a high TDP GPU like you said isn't recommended a smaller fan wouldn't give it more air.

Have you compared the stock fan to those you mentioned?
It is decent, but you don't want a 140mm fan blowing over a 120 radiator. The fans I listed have much higher pressure/cfm:noise than the stock AP fan.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You gotta give us more info and specifics than that buddy.

Progmetal

Anybody knows what can be wrong when my Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" disk doesn't show up in the boot order at the bottom of the BIOS screen? I have the ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard.

Everything boots up fine, but a seldom time the PC stops when i start it up telling me that no bootable drive found. And if i go into the BIOS i have to select f8 i think, and choose the SSD disk there, and then everything works fine.

Only strange that i don't see the SSD at the bottom of the main BIOS screen where you can quickly change boot order.

mkenyon

Banned
That's really strange that it is intermittent. AHCI mode enabled? There's also two different places where you alternate boot order (kind of). One is 'Priorities', the other is 'Boot Order IIRC.

teh_pwn

Anybody knows what can be wrong when my Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" disk doesn't show up in the boot order at the bottom of the BIOS screen? I have the ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard.

Everything boots up fine, but a seldom time the PC stops when i start it up telling me that no bootable drive found. And if i go into the BIOS i have to select f8 i think, and choose the SSD disk there, and then everything works fine.

Only strange that i don't see the SSD at the bottom of the main BIOS screen where you can quickly change boot order.

I haven't used ASUS BIOS for that specific chipset, but is there an advanced mode at the top right? Lots of motherboards have boot order with only 1 HDD selected, but have a menu you can go to in which you can select boot order of HDDs. If that exists, make the Crucial SSD on top.

If you disconnect all other HDDs and disable other bootable devices and it's still intermittent then it's likely the SSD.

Salaadin

The Video card comes with adapters to change your other cables into another 6 Pin.
Looks like this:
adapter-2x-molex-6pin.jpg

Neiteio

OK guys, I need a recommendation, but it's with a twist. I already have a gaming PC; I need some insights on a good NON-gaming PC, for my parents. I'm really hoping someone here is savvy enough to have some suggestions...

Here's what I posted in Off-Topic, where I will probably be lost among the shuffle. :(

My parents' current PC desktop is slow as molasses: at least six or seven years old, an outdated processor, 1GB of RAM, etc. They mainly use it for browsing the Internet, word processing and viewing vacation photos. They want a laptop, something stable and fast, ideally with screen 17" or more.

They've been looking at various models from various companies with i5 and 8GB RAM. My dad would prefer something with a non-glossy finish, so it doesn't get covered in fingerprints. (Even though they will using a separate keyboard.)

What would you guys recommend? Any particular packages come to mind? Something fast and stable they can use to browse the Web, do word processing and view pictures without the computer slowing down or freezing or crashing?

(I personally use an i7 8G RAM (2GB VRAM) GTX 560M Windows 7, but that's for gaming and I don't know what would make most sense for them)

mkenyon

Banned
Though ostensibly about gaming laptops, the people at Laptop GAF (first link in OP) will be able to give you better advice. I always recommend enterprise class laptops for general use because they are the only ones that rival Apple's build quality. Lenovo Think pads are good stuff.
Just dug through my video card box and came up empty.
Used videocard? Call around to your local mom and pop shops, they will have one. Ask for a molex or SATA to PCI-E adapter. Big stores like frys or microcenter will certainly have them.

New videocards *always* come with them.

Neiteio

Though ostensibly about gaming laptops, the people at Laptop GAF (first link in OP) will be able to give you better advice. I always recommend enterprise class laptops for general use because they are the only ones that rival Apple's build quality. Lenovo Think pads are good stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation, and for pointing me in the direction of Laptop GAF. :)

Used videocard? Call around to your local mom and pop shops, they will have one. Ask for a molex or SATA to PCI-E adapter. Big stores like frys or microcenter will certainly have them.

No he's in the clear here with the link he posted since the pic of the package shows no cable, hell it doesn't show a dvi to vga adapter either.

He will have to get the cable elsewhere

Found a set for 2.70 with free shipping on ebay.

Kinda weird though. Are they all supposed to look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-PCI-E...805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336915e1ad ?

It's called a four-pin but it looks like only three studs in each.

EDIT: Whatever. I placed an order. Still need to place an order for Windows 7 as well....
EDIT x2: Bought a full version of Windows 7 for $150 off ebay. I'm happy with that(not too interested in watching auctions to save a little more).

Ryan_

Possibly some connector, short, or damage on... the motherboard?

Take it apart and put it back together again (Check for screws behind the mobo), and plug and replug your data and power connectors. Make sure everything is secure.

Also use different SATA ports. (Probably just the Intel ones listed in your manual).

I did all that and even bought a new motherboard, an ASUS one this time, same problem.
The weird thing is that the GPU works on my old pc.
I tested it with a different Power Supply as well, no change.
Both motherboards have an onboard gpu from Intel.
Could it be bad ram?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Small tweaks made to the OP. Will update the chart and post once I work out some things.
Okay just got back from the store.
The dude says my video card requires a power supply with two six-pins. The power supply I purchased only has one six-pin.

Also whatever power supply I buy has to have two four-pins as well to connect to the motherboard.

It looks like for whatever reason that XFX Model does NOT come with molex to 6 pin. Guess it can still happen.

Includes
Promotional Bundles:Cross Marketing insert
Quick Installation Guide:1
XFX Serial Number Door Hanger:1
Installation CD with Multi-Language User Guide:1
Cross Fire Bridge:1
Driver CD Installation Guide:1
DVI to VGA adapter:1
Found a set for 2.70 with free shipping on ebay.

Kinda weird though. Are they all supposed to look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pin-PCI-E...805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336915e1ad ?

It's called a four-pin but it looks like only three studs in each.

EDIT: Whatever. I placed an order. Still need to place an order for Windows 7 as well....
EDIT x2: Bought a full version of Windows 7 for $150 off ebay. I'm happy with that(not too interested in watching auctions to save a little more).
Yup that will be fine.
I did all that and even bought a new motherboard, an ASUS one this time, same problem.
The weird thing is that the GPU works on my old pc.
I tested it with a different Power Supply as well, no change.
Both motherboards have an onboard gpu from Intel.
Could it be bad ram?
You can run a memtest 86+ to find out. 15 minutes usually finds something wrong. Some people run it overnight.
Have you tried a different cable/monitor?

Ryan_

You can run a memtest 86+ to find out. 15 minutes usually finds something wrong. Some people run it overnight.
Have you tried a different cable/monitor?

I'll check the memtest.

And yea, I really tried everything but the bios is still 800x600 resolution as well as the windows load up screen and I still lose signal when I should see the login screen of windows (when it changes to higher res).
I can boot perfectly on my internal Intel GPU (when I put it on IGD in the bios).

mkenyon:

Sex, Lies & Benchmarks: Why Nobody Should be Surprised with AMD's Trinity Launch
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...control-good-for-intel2c-and-not-for-amd.aspx

Not surprisingly, he used the sample auto journalism example I mentioned. The above piece is worth reading particularly for anyone unfamiliar with the workings of product launches, and their associated reviews.

Again, Scott's one of the best and, unlike some, I don't attribute the reaction to some type of calculated bias (like how others are attributing the controlled pre-NDA preview process to some type of supposedly unethical behavior). That's silly. Still, it would be good to have as much consistency as possible, across the board.

http://techreport.com/review/9538/intel-conroe-performance-previewed

Yeah...self building never really worked out well for me (well, self chosen parts and someone else assembling it). I want something I know is going to work well out of the box with minimum messing around. I'll pay a bit more for that piece of mind.

I wonder how that machine compares with a Sager/Clevo laptop (9170) with a 680GTX? The flexibility and simplicity of a laptop is appealing.
The CPU is ~2GHz slower (still 1GHz slower with the Clevo on turbo), and the GPU is a good deal slower, as well; cut down and down-clocked. Plus, the Clevo can't remain unplugged for long.

Fantomex

Progress Report

Installed:
Power Supply
Motherboard
processor
Cooler Master Heatsink
Cooler Master Extra Fan
Ram

Now comes the cables and I gotta say, I'm gonna read te instructions step by step. But sometimes it seems the power supply and phantom case both have the same cables. And I'm confused as if they go into each other or the motherboard. Guess ill read up.

Fantomex

Aaaand now I'm stuck.

I have a Phantom 410 Mid Tower Link

AsRock 970 Extreme Motherboard Link

And for the life of me I can't figure out the important cables and where the go. I am speaking about SW Power, LED power, Reset and all that jazz. I mean I know the area they are to be placed in but not exactly where. Help please?

help_3470310.jpg

CatPee

Aaaand now I'm stuck.

And for the life of me I can't figure out the important cables and where the go. I am speaking about SW Power, LED power, Reset and all that jazz. I mean I know the area they are to be placed in but not exactly where. Help please?

http://cdn.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1235/help_3470310.jpg

Take a look at the placement of the holes on those cables, then look for spots to plug them in that have pins corresponding to the holes.

Aaaand now I'm stuck.

[IM]http://cdn.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1235/help_3470310.jpg[/IMG]

Your motherboard manual should have the details.

Fantomex

This worked! Now on first bootup im getting, "Please power down and connect the PCI E cables for this graphics card"

I checked it. The card has Two 6 Pin connector slots. My Power Unit (550 W) has one 6 pin connector labeled PCI-E. I had originally plugged that one in on the left side. But I guess now I need another one?

This is the card and the cables it came with

Jzero

I checked it. The card has Two 6 Pin connector slots. My Power Unit (550 W) has one 6 pin connector labeled PCI-E. I had originally plugged that one in on the left side. But I guess now I need another one?

http://i.imgur.com/M4e5Q.jpg[/ur] [url]http://i.imgur.com/ge3Sn.jpg
if you don't have another 6-pin power port from your power supply use one of those molex to 6-pin adapters.

M4e5Q.jpg

ge3Sn.jpg

You see that molex to PCI-E connector (broad white end to black end)? use one of them for the second one.

So just find two matching connectors on your Power Supply for the white ends to connect into then plug the black end in the other slot of the video card.

Fantomex

The 2-1 cables they gave me won't fit the graphics card.

The pci e cable from my power unit fits no problem. (On left) But the other cables MSI gave me don't even fit. Check out the side by side comparison.

Jzero

The 2-1 cables they gave me won't fit the graphics card.

WZMvD.jpg

The pci e cable from my power unit fits no problem. (On left) But the other cables MSI gave me don't even fit. Check out the side by side comparison.
Are you sure you're putting them in the right way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom