• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I posted an image of topless man & women on Facebook, was removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

I'm glad that it's legal here in NYC. And I say that as a woman. I'm not brave enough to go about it myself, but maybe one day. It certainly gets hot enough here to make it enticing.

Wurdfurd

Boobs are considered a private part in most civilize societies. Accept it pervs.

That is incredibly closed minded,
but unfortunately so true

"Pervs" might be a tad immature though, hoping that was laced with a bit of sarcasm at the very least.

wildfire

Banned
This thread is literally disgusting.

We have a bunch of males thinking they can regulate what women should do with their bodies, and worst of all, they are completely unaware of that. So used thinking a female body exists for their enjoyment that they don't even stop to consider these women might, guess what?, have autonomy over their bodies, and that, no, they are not naked only to arouse you. So, all these "I herp-derp hope women get the right to go topless because dur-hurr I'll get to see more boobies" comments completely miss the point. All their "progressive thinking" and claims of equality dissolve into being only their own shallow interest. It is not about women deciding what to do with their bodies without judgement or without censoring. It is about their own privileged male pleasure.

I don't expect female topless to be considered normal in a while, which is a shame. Men have so many privileges, and most of them are so completely unaware of those, it is not even funny.

I'm sure most of these people are aware of what you are saying though.
Pretty much.

If women's breasts can be in full view, why not their genitals? And male genitals at that? I'm not equating them, but what's deemed as socially acceptable isn't really based on anything logical. It's all based on societal constructs, so complaining about one thing being covered up while defending another seems a bit odd to me...

As I said earlier, do we piss and shit from our breasts? What's unsanitary about them?

Dice//

Banned
I'm glad that it's legal here in NYC. And I say that as a woman. I'm not brave enough to go about it myself, but maybe one day. It certainly gets hot enough here to make it enticing.

I'm definitely not brave enough, I really wouldn't want the attention for doing so either. Other parts of the world can get away with it better obviously, but not ours/mine. =/

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just want to point out that clothes also serve more of a purpose than just "covering up." Bras especially. Jogging with a sports bra is a lot more comfortable than jogging topless for instance.

Yeah. I mean, I'm topless around my apartment most of the year, but I don't think I'd currently feel comfortable enough to do it in public. But if other ladies do then more power to them.

Just want to point out that clothes also serve more of a purpose than just "covering up." Bras especially. Jogging with a sports bra is a lot more comfortable than jogging topless for instance.

Or with a bra not designed for that kind of support, sure. But that's why this is talking about it being an option and not talking about forcing it.

Grinchy

Banned
This thread is literally disgusting.

We have a bunch of males thinking they can regulate what women should do with their bodies, and worst of all, they are completely unaware of that. So used thinking a female body exists for their enjoyment that they don't even stop to consider these women might, guess what?, have autonomy over their bodies, and that, no, they are not naked only to arouse you. So, all these "I herp-derp hope women get the right to go topless because dur-hurr I'll get to see more boobies" comments completely miss the point. All their "progressive thinking" and claims of equality dissolve into being only their own shallow interest. It is not about women deciding what to do with their bodies without judgement or without censoring. It is about their own privileged male pleasure.

I don't expect female topless to be considered normal in a while, which is a shame. Men have so many privileges, and most of them are so completely unaware of those, it is not even funny.

If I claimed that I wanted women to be able to walk around naked just because of gender equality, it would be a lie. It wouldn't be just because of that. It would also be because I like seeing naked women. Both things can be going on at the same time.

Most guys who say they would only want this for reasons of equality are just lying to themselves or to whoever is listening. Let's not pretend that guys don't love looking at naked women just to prove a point about equality.

If I claimed that I wanted women to be able to walk around naked just because of gender equality, it would be a lie. It wouldn't be just because of that. It would also be because I like seeing naked women. Both things can be going on at the same time.

Most guys who say they would only want this for reasons of equality are just lying to themselves or to whoever is listening. Let's not pretend that guys don't love looking at naked women just to prove a point about equality.

I'm a gay guy and I'm for this. Looking at women breasts does nothing to me.

Oops I said I won't be coming into this thread again, I guess I failed.

Izuna

Banned
Eh, to be honest the only thing you can achieve is to ban men from going topless. Go into an African culture where they have their breasts exposed and see if you can deal with not staring at them.

This is one gender disparity that is a physical difference.

But yeah, you couldn't change this without forcing a cultural change in like, everyone. Even women aren't used to see topless women.

Purely from the view as a heterosexual male, the fact that they are always covered means when I see my SO's it's arousing. I'd rather not live in a world where the only thing I can see that I can't see all day is her crotch.

Eh, to be honest the only thing you can achieve is to ban men from going topless. Go into an African culture where they have their breasts exposed and see if you can deal with not staring at them.

This is one gender disparity that is a physical difference.

But yeah, you couldn't change this without forcing a cultural change in like, everyone. Even women aren't used to see topless women.

Sure, but people stare at covered breasts, asses, hips, and the like regardless. So it's not like the covering up somehow stops the glances anyway.

Izuna

Banned
Sure, but people stare at covered breasts, asses, hips, and the like regardless. So it's not like the covering up somehow stops the glances anyway.

Sure pervert.

I think you mean glance, which isn't what will happen if a bunch of nudist females storm a beach.

Common sense can be sexist, but you know, chances are if a "feminist" issue only has a purpose to point out hypocrisy for the sake of it then it's not worth a change. Also nature IS sexist.

Oersted

Boobs are considered a private part in most civilize societies. Accept it pervs.

Its probably more pervert to turn something natural like breasts into obscene things.
New York not civilized confirmed.

Sure pervert.

I think you mean glance, which isn't what will happen if a bunch of nudist females storm a beach.

Common sense can be sexist, but you know, chances are if a "feminist" issue only has a purpose to point out hypocrisy for the sake of it then it's not worth a change. Also nature IS sexist.

This is a cultural thing. There is nothing inherently natural about covering breasts.

Izuna

Banned
Its probably more pervert to turn something natural like breasts into obscene things.
New York not civilized confirmed.

This is a cultural thing. There is nothing inherently natural about covering breasts.

So you think Mr. Pervert from thousands of years ago changed an entire civilisation's mind when he said "don't show breasts so I can find it a fetish"?

Joni

You seem to have no problem not posting the picture on NeoGAF. You have put it behind a link with a NSFW warning. You don't want to do so on Facebook. It seems hypocritical.

You seem to have no problem not posting the picture on NeoGAF. You have put it behind a link with a NSFW warning. You don't want to do so on Facebook. It seems hypocritical.
Because there are rules he needs to abide by. Of which, he didn't on facebook. I wonder if things will change here though. I see so many mocking "violence ok, boobs are sin" yet we have closed threads and bans after posts of the latter.

Izuna

Banned
Or she.

There are cultures that have women covering every inch of skin. Is that ok, too?

I was going to post "she", before knowing that no one would be silly enough to go that route. Girls today aren't wishing that they could walk around tits showing BECAUSE men and women would disapprove. They aren't brainwashed by society if they want to keep it private as well.

There is nothing natural about age of consent either. Just a couple hundred years ago 16 y/os were the head of families.

This isn't about nature vs. culture, in which nature > culture, it's about freedom of choice. As it is today, we don't like IS choosing the way they are, nor do we like women choosing to go bare in front of the children in today's world.

So there is no way to just tell everyone to stop complaining and stop being aroused.

As for cultures where women must cover everything they have, we imagine a girl who wants to show skin being told by society she mustn't show any of her skin. Using an extreme to say that the other should also be allowed would cause us to have many liberal arguments for the sake of it being liberal. Eventually leading to chaos as we are allowed to shout as loud as we want at any given time of night because fuck with society thinks right?

There will always be exceptions to left wing thinking. You cannot expect the whole US to change something like for the simple reason that you somehow think it would benefit society if men/boys found female nipples less arousing.

The whole girls wearing skirts and never trousers issue in the UK was similar, but that was driven by a lot of women actually wanting to wear trousers. Not because dudes wanna see more tits.

Honestly, I don't have a clue whether it is even allowed in my country, but I think it definitely should be.

It isn't like I'd expect women to suddenly walk around topless everywhere. There is still the social stigma against it, most women likely wouldn't want it and even then it would be in rare cases. And then of course I'd probably wouldn't even find many women that do it attractive.

So I am completely aware that walking topless for women becomes legal would have a very small positive effect on me. Certainly not enough for me that I care so much to respond in this topic.

Happy to know you are lying, but don't make it better by pretending we do too.

Slavik81

When a woman goes topless and is jailed for doing so, who is the victim and how were they harmed? Is there any concrete evidence of that harm?

Consider back before being topless was made illegal. How would you convince people it should be made criminal?
Because there are rules he needs to abide by. Of which, he didn't on facebook. I wonder if things will change here though. I see so many mocking "violence ok, boobs are sin" yet we have closed threads and bans after posts of the latter.
Doubtful. NeoGAF is limited by the advertisers who fund it. Still a topic worth discussing, though.

Zornack

When a woman goes topless and is jailed for doing so, who is the victim and how were they harmed? Is there any concrete evidence of that harm?

Consider back before being topless was made illegal. How would you convince people it should be made criminal?

Can't you say the same thing about men and women being bottomless?

Izuna

Banned

Doubtful. NeoGAF is limited by the advertisers who fund it. Still a topic worth discussing, though.

I'm pretty sure that if made legal, the ones who would go around topless would do so for two reasons: to excite change for the sake of it (pointless empowerment) or because they want extra attention from men.

Considering the Christian roots of Western Society it is pretty obvious that, once upon a time, all of sudden, men found tits to be arousing and they started wanting to have sex so often. Being something that is considered a distraction from being a good person (and it makes no sense if other women's tits made them wanna be with their wives and just their wives), it was told that women shouldn't arouse men by exposing their tits.

Imagine being a women during this time. Now that you are being told not to show off your rockers -- which is how we teach children today since plenty of little girls run around naked -- and tell me what the woman loses. I can't walk around with my dick hanging out because it's "public indecency" and I can be sure the majority of people down the road wouldn't go about their orderly lives if I did.

Any argument for why women should be allowed to have their tits out also applies to me wanting to have my dick out. Except it seems this movement is only perused by nudists, perverts, or for the sake of fighting sexism for its own sake.

You also have to remember that those who make the laws and run the society are also people who hopefully have common sense. If the people except the government wanted this change, we would have riots.

Oh maybe we should actually ban babies from showing their butts in nappy adverts because a few of society are paedophiles.

Wake me up when a majority of women protest they actually want to go around bare. Not a guy who wanted a few likes on facebook for pointing out that nature is also sexist.

Jackpot

Banned
Superficial understanding of sexism to simply equate every single action as identical.

It's intellectually on par with saying "men don't mind catcalls, ergo women shouldn't either".

Gamerloid

She gained those boobs during sexual development and it plays a role in motherhood. Men don't go through that. With that establish, we must now mix in culture.

Facebook is a US company, it'll obviously be removed.

Izuna

Banned
Ah wait a second. I remember reporting a picture of a girl pissing in the middle of the street with a caption of "Japan" only for it not to be removed.

So my question is, did facebook remove this on its own or did someone report it first for it to be removed by the TOS?

But you have to also ask yourself if you wouldn't mind your own children seeing girl tits on facebook or irl for no damn reason and if you respect if other people don't want their kids seeing it.

Ah wait a second. I remember reporting a picture of a girl pissing in the middle of the street with a caption of "Japan" only for it not to be removed.

So my question is, did facebook remove this on its own or did someone report it first for it to be removed by the TOS?

But you have to also ask yourself if you wouldn't mind your own children seeing girl tits on facebook or irl for no damn reason and if you respect if other people don't want their kids seeing it.

This, along with so many of your arguments, is absolutely awful. You're arguing in a circle. "It's bad so it would be bad if we allowed it!" As people have mentioned before, even now there are a lot of people that don't want to see a same-sex couple holding hands. There are people that still find mixed-race couples offensive. As also mentioned there are people who consider a woman exposing even her hair as being scandalous. You're appealing directly to raw emotion and culture without any real intent to otherwise think about the issue.

She gained those boobs during sexual development and it plays a role in motherhood. Men don't go through that. With that establish, we must now mix in culture.

What's your point? Public breastfeeding is legal, and not all women have kids or breastfeed their kids.

Everyone has boobs. Short of a mastectomy, everyone has breasts. The size and shape are developed by your weight and hormones, true, but clearly that's not the issue here (or else the Jack Nicholson picture I posted a few pages back would be risque). And breasts are not the only thing that change size due to hormones. Most of the body does. You can't just throw tits on a man and call it a woman or else drag queens would have a lot easier of a time.

Izuna

Banned
This, along with so many of your arguments, is absolutely awful. You're arguing in a circle. "It's bad so it would be bad if we allowed it!" As people have mentioned before, even now there are a lot of people that don't want to see a same-sex couple holding hands. There are people that still find mixed-race couples offensive. As also mentioned there are people who consider a woman exposing even her hair as being scandalous. You're appealing directly to raw emotion and culture without any real intent to otherwise think about the issue.

What you quoted is an explanation of why facebook removed the image. Not simply why it shouldn't be allowed.

And my other points are pretty much that this has no purpose because no one is even wanting this change for any real reason.

Same sex couples holding hands wasn't ever just for the sake of equality. It would be horrible if you think so.

What you quoted is an explanation of why facebook removed the image. Not simply why it shouldn't be allowed.

And my other points are pretty much that this has no purpose because no one is even wanting this change for any real reason.

Same sex couples holding hands wasn't ever just for the sake of equality. It would be horrible if you think so.

You mean other than the multiple women in this very thread saying that we'd prefer if women at least had the option even if we personally may not take advantage of it? That we'd at least like the option to do it without being shamed and attacked by society? That's not a good enough reason for you?

Alienous

For instance female children don't tend to get their chest blurred in media. It's not a particularly complicated matter.

... I suppose we should blur Adam's apples too ...

Tagg9

Is this some kind of 4chan campaign to convince more women to go around topless? The whole thing is ridiculous.

Izuna

Banned
You mean other than the multiple women in this very thread saying that we'd prefer if women at least had the option even if we personally may not take advantage of it? That we'd at least like the option to do it without being shamed and attacked by society? That's not a good enough reason for you?

My point is that you could have the same number of men who wants to walk around with their penises hanging without the same thing happening. Or hey, those who don't want to told they have to get a haircut or shave every time they leave their home. Or people who want to be fat without being fat-shamed. Or adults who want to have a strictly platonic relationship with children without being called paedophiles.

The above examples are immoral or moral behaviour, it doesn't matter though because your argument is to "at least have the option", which isn't valid enough to get people to change their reaction. Which is why I am actually a little offended you mentioned same-sex couples holding hands or interracial couples. It's not for the sake of having the option.

So no, it's not enough for society.

For instance female children don't tend to get their chest blurred in media. It's not a particularly complicated matter.

... I suppose we should blur Adam's apples too ...

You can't expect every rule to have a clear cut scientific reason, otherwise that rule shouldn't exist. Common sense is a thing. Without it how could we ever discourage anyone doing anything?

Prototype

This response and all like it:

Is pretty clear you haven't read thru the thread as I have addressed this. Nice drive by.

It's also not really the point of the conversation.

Thanks for adding nothing to the debate/conversation.

Keri

Is this some kind of 4chan campaign to convince more women to go around topless? The whole thing is ridiculous.

I'm nearly convinced of this. I don't think it should be illegal to be topless, because its an absolute waste of resources, at the very least, but the campaign to encourage it feels like an extension of the already existing pressures on women to show more skin.

Zing

Banned
Men don't have tits

I'm all for topless women, but tits are seen as private parts, ask a woman to take her to off and she will say no.

It's just how it is, just accept it.
We need some method of retroactively making this the first reply.

I'm nearly convinced of this. I don't think it should be illegal to be topless, because its an absolute waste of resources, at the very least, but the campaign to encourage it feels like an extension of the already existing pressures on women to show more skin.

Women are not beholden to men. There's no woman going well I guess I have to show my tits because everybody's doing it.

How the fuck are these not tits?

Lee_Johnston1_1877045a.jpg

Prototype

I wouldn't want it to be taken that way.

A women should always have the choice, and be on equal footing with men.

If a women were to be walking in a park on a hot day and wanted to take her shirt off, she should be able to without a bunch of unwanted attention and or harassment. Just the same way as a guy can.

Where I live, there is a park near a college and people jog there almost everyday. Guys regularly have their shirts off and no one says anything about it, ever. If women started doing the same thing you can bet it cause an uproar and probably get a story in the newspaper if it became a regular thing. This will never happen to men.

Izuna

Banned
I wouldn't want it to be taken that way.

A women should always have the choice, and be on equal footing with men.

If a women were to be walking in a park on a hot day and wanted to take her shirt off, she should be able to without a bunch of unwanted attention and or harassment. Just the same way as a guy can.

Where I live, there is a park near a college and Pete jog there almost everyday. Guys regularly have their shirts off and no one says anything about it, ever. If women started doing the same thing you can bet it cause an uproar and probably get a story in the newspaper if it became a regular thing. This will never happen to men.

But she will. And that's why Facebook removed it.

Prototype

But she will. And that's why Facebook removed it.

Tell me how you will convince me to not find areola's arousing or convince a mother they shouldn't worry about it popping it up on Facebook since they shouldn't find it erotic and they are wrong if they do.
I'm just making the argument, that it's ridiculous. Even if that's the way it is now. It doesn't change how strange and unequal it is.

Real question. If it were legal for women to be topless, just like men, tomorrow, would anything really change? Would there be change a year from now? 5 years? A decade?

Platy

If asking someone to take some clothes and the person saying no is the new method of knowing if anything is a private part than we have WAY more private parts than we knew o_O

Depending on the location and the person I would never take even my shoe if asked xD

Izuna

Banned
I'm just making the argument, that it's ridiculous. Even if that's the way it is now. It doesn't change how strange and unequal it is.

It's not strange, you know why.

But this is a social network. You can bet that if tits were allowed and couple be reported there would be tits everywhere on facebook. They don't want that happening on their site. They want families and 13 year olds to sign up there, and they wouldn't be allowed or told not to if girl tits got 200000 likes and got shared all over the place. They would lose business because of society.

When people complain about male tits, they will remove them too.

To be clear... Yes, society does teach us that girl tits are arousing. Society has taught us that girl tits are arousing.

Alienous

This is totally a Catch 22. Female are breasts have laws preventing their exposure, which makes them overtly sexual, but the only reason they are overtly sexual, really, is that they are covered up. If all women had to wear scarves a female neck would be the sexist thing in the world.

Females who want to uncover their chest, you have my sword.

Keri

Women are not beholden to men. There's no woman going well I guess I have to show my tits because everybody's doing it.

Yeah. No woman feels that way now, because everyone isn't doing it. The vast majority of women, even where it's legal, want to wear clothes. If this ever changes, there will absolutely be girls and women who feel pressure to go topless and it will be an extension of how we all wear skinny jeans and mid-drift shirts. Women don't naturally gravitate to tight/ short clothing, we're all taught that these are the appropriate styles for us and we adopt it to fit in.

I'm just skeptical whether this is really about freeing women, or if tight jeans and mid-drifts shirts just aren't enough for the fellas any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom