• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I regret buying Battlefield 1 over Titanfall 2

Yeah...I'm a longtime Battlefield fan, bought both games at the same time. Have played BF1 maybe 3-4 times. TF2 I have 50+ hours in already. That game is just fun. The movement is so satisfying. Just needs a few tweaks to the matchmaking, better maps, and another Tone nerf / Ronin and Northstar buffs

TF2 is the only game to pull me away from Overwatch this year

Sojgat

You clearly havent played AW or BO3. Its constant jumping around and shooting. Constant.

I've played both of them a lot. Yes, COD has added extra traversal options, but you can't play it like that. Maps don't allow for it, boost meter cooldowns don't allow for it, and neither does the weapon handling. You can do things in bursts, but it's been purposely designed to maintain the feeling of COD movement. There's more jumping around in BO3 and IW, but it doesn't come close to the things you can do in TF2.

AW at least tried to do it's own thing. I really liked that game.

Mahonay

Banned
BF1 and Titanfall 2 are two completely different kinds of games. It's completely logical to prefer one over the other.

I own both. I'm a big Battlefield guy so I play BF1 a lot more, but I also own Titanfall 2 for when I want to just jump into some quick, fast paced games.

The Dude

https://youtu.be/KCzfamlZo8M

See in this video, while the maps aren't setup to continuously wall run and jump it has just enough to give a similar feeling impression. If you put the maps of titanfall 2 In black ops 3 you could have a more similar result.

Im not saying that they're picture perfect clones.. But titanfall 2s wall running and jumping is more of just added abilities, but the core feel of weaponry and ttk is what brings it all back to the call of duty style.

But respawn even said this is their call of duty vision so to speak, so just not sure why it's so hard for some to just say "yea titanfall 2 is an extention of cod"

lazerfox

After playing Titanfall it's so hard to go back to BF1. It just feels so slow and boring.

Thanks Respawn for ruining BF for me :)

See in this video, while the maps aren't setup to continuously wall run and jump it has just enough to give a similar feeling impression. If you put the maps of titanfall 2 In black ops 3 you could have a more similar result.

Im not saying that they're picture perfect clones.. But titanfall 2s wall running and jumping is more of just added abilities, but the core feel of weaponry and ttk is what brings it all back to the call of duty style.

But respawn even said this is their call of duty vision so to speak, so just not sure why it's so hard for some to just say "yea titanfall 2 is an extention of cod"

A prefabricated trailer vs out-in-the-wild TF2 gameplay? Thats your comparison?

Battlefield is fun with friends to dick around in. Titanfall 2 is just fun in general even playing solo. Titanfall 2 to me just feels better to play and I always loved me some mech action.

The Dude

A prefabricated trailer vs out-in-the-wild TF2? Thats your comparison?

I'm simply pointing out that running on walls and shooting, in itself, Is not something that only titanfall 2 does. That map layouts dictate a lot of that, black ops 3 has it on a smaller scale. If you put similar maps into black ops 3 it could achieve an even closer outcome

Sojgat

It's an evolution of COD gameplay at the pilot level. "Just COD with mechs" it is not.

People try to be as reductive as possible when bashing something, and that leads to circular arguments that go on for years.

This looks much more like Call of Duty with maps that have been scaled up and a speed boost... wish it played more like the first Titanfall. Running down one of the three lanes of a map till you fight someone just doesn't work as well, and the lack of verticality really grounds the game too much.

The maps aren't as good as TF1, you'll get no argument from me on that front. IMO Angel City actually plays better in TF2.

Compsiox

Banned
After playing Call of Duty for all those years I can´t play anymore arena shooters. They´re all so boring. Overwatch is an exception because of it´s MOBA elements.

I'm simply pointing out that running on walls and shooting, in itself, Is not something that only titanfall 2 does. That map layouts dictate a lot of that, black ops 3 has it on a smaller scale. If you put similar maps into black ops 3 it could achieve an even closer outcome

If you put this TF training level in CoD, I can guarantee nobody would come close to beating it this fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWhwG2lETNA

CoD is a snail. TF is a screaming eagle.

I've played both of them a lot. Yes, COD has added extra traversal options, but you can't play it like that. Maps don't allow for it, boost meter cooldowns don't allow for it, and neither does the weapon handling. You can do things in bursts, but it's been purposely designed to maintain the feeling of COD movement. There's more jumping around in BO3 and IW, but it doesn't come close to the things you can do in TF2.

AW at least tried to do it's own thing. I really liked that game.

Yup Advanced Warfare is really good. It didn't try to be something that it wasn't imo. Black Ops 3 and IW are just bad multiplayer wise, trying to bring movement into play but man it's so badly done that i just want to go back to Titanfall because it's a great controlling FPS with movement done right.

It's clear to me that since Titanfall 1, Call of Duty wanted to be like it but failed big time with BO3 and IW.

ironcreed

Banned
Titanfall 2 feels like a completely different game than COD to me. The map layouts and traversal therefof, the weapons, the momentum you can build, the overall movement, abilities like the grappling hook and of course the titans. Other than the wall running which COD copied, they are just not the same at all.

BO3 is the only COD multiplayer I have played since MW2 and the movement options (wallrunning, double jump, sliding, etc.) felt extremely tacked on. The maps barely even take advantage of the mobility options. For the most part, it felt no different than the pre-future warfare CODs. Movement in TF is in a league of its own. Players who are using the mechanics properly will have a big advantage over those playing like standard COD. Just from watching that video, it's apparent that TTK is also still much shorter in COD than TF.

RedFury

Who is arguing it's not CoD like? I mean come on its from the creators of modern CoD (mechanics wise). You can definitely see where it evolved from, but to say it plays like CoD is ill conceived. It's not CoD with mechs like some would say. Do you believe BF is CoD with vehicles or is there enough gameplay difference to say no? Although I'd argue that BF is getting more and more streamlined in such a way it's getting too CoD like for me. Like I said there's nothing wrong with influences especially if they're overall positive. Although I love BF2 to death it's gunplay was not amazing. The COD influence gave awesome gun models, sounds, gunplay mechanics, clamber walls, etc. TO ME BF:BC2 was the best combination of CoD influence and the BF sandbox. You can have actual rolling tank battles and hide behind terrain (Vs cramped corridors of buildings in BF3,4,1). The map geometry allowed it. BF1 does some of that but the way they relegated vehicles feels like they're on the sidelines. It's the oversimplification of BF that hurts me. The change in mechanics also means a change in the toy box. TF2 is a toy box again. I get the same joy playing that just like I did in huge Lan Halo games, doing crazy shit in BF:BC2, and a very few others(DOOM is another recent example for different reasons). I haven't felt that way in a while and when everything is viable and fun to play with its such a joy. Another example many of the guns in BF1 feel and sound samey, I understand that it's constrained by the era but that's why THIS Battlefield just doesn't do it for me. If I want my big Battlefield fix I'll go to one of the previous entries, there are still people playing them.

Edit: Hence the OP, I feel I wasted money on BF1. I'll go play a previous entry.

Minustephen

Neo Member
I regret buying both of them because all I'm still playing is Overwatch.

YUP. I really enjoyed Titanfall 2, but definitely only played the campaign. Tried MP and was like, "honestly, i just want to be playing overwatch." Got Battlefield 1 as well and it doesnt matter how many of my friends are playing... sittin there like overwatch is the only game ill ever need.

At least now i know this, incontrovertibly.

deoee

Now you're getting ridiculous and pulling stuff from nowhere. We got your message and you're going in circles.
You make it sound like Cod style gameplay is the Satan right now.

The Dude

Lmao at the "who's arguing that it's not cod like?". Ah my that about summed it up for me, i gotta let this titanfall 2 orgy alone for now.

The Dude

Now you're getting ridiculous and pulling stuff from nowhere. We got your message and you're going in circles.
You make it sound like Cod style gameplay is the Satan right now.

giphy.gif

packy34

I tried it during the free weekend and didn't like it. Maybe I'm just being obtuse but I honestly don't see what's so special about the game.

Everything about BF1 - to me - is far superior.

RedFury

Lmao at the "who's arguing that it's not cod like?". Ah my that about summed it up for me, i gotta let this titanfall 2 orgy alone for now.
Did you even read the post? I am genuinely curious as to how you feel about the simplification of mechanics in BF as a franchise. TF2 is not without its faults but what annoys me is you use CoD negatively. If it wasn't for the guys/gals who made modern CoDs the clear refinement in gameplay mechanics would not have happened if it wasn't for competition and the juggernaut that those games became. Would you really argue that the refinement of gunplay, etc wasn't because the market was changed by a competitor and the whole FPS genre had a clear bar set?

EDIT: To be clear you didn't hear TF2 was NOT CoD like FROM ME. There is a clear evolution but to say it plays just like CoD (which is your argument) just isn't true. By your example BF is just CoD with vehicles. Do you believe that or do you only use the example when it benefits you?

No one is fighting that it has COD elements . It was your Original claim that TF was nothing more than COD with mechs that started this current discourse. Too bad that is so far from the truth. It's like saying BF1 is nothing more than Battlefront with ADS
Edit. It seems you brought the conversation to where it should be
COD vs TF2 is a more interesting discussion

Why, because you're a giant bomb banana rider? Get over it. They are the only outlet that liked tf2. Its servers are a waste land already. It's dead Jim

lebowski4ever

Neo Member
bought battlefield 1 on launch, then got titanfall2 on black friday for £20.00 . haven't stopped playing since i bought...single player is great, multiplayer is very enjoyable. absolute bargain...can't see myself goin back to battlefield for a long while.

God damn this thread is a shit hole.

Just play what you like people.

The TF2 community needs to concentrate more on growing the community. Things are looking bleak especially on the XB1 at the moment.

The TF2 community needs to concentrate more on growing the community. Things are looking bleak especially on the XB1 at the moment.

It can't be any worse than PC. I'm currently working nights, so when I do play it's in the early hours. Attrition during that time has like 50 people, lol.

RedFury

Liar. We live in a postfact world my friend! Your links mean nothing!
Man I can't, I just can't tell anymore. I'd like to say your joking but the stupidity of the things I've seen...I'm no longer surprised by anything. You need to be more transparent, I know it's sucks the fun out of it but you should consider it neccessary.

swarley64

It's so good... I played through the campaign, then figured I'd poke at the multiplayer for a little bit before I moved on to something else. But the multiplayer is too damn addictive... I feel like I really NEED to hit max level before I can stop playing. I've dabbled in COD-style multiplayer here and there before, but I never got hooked on it like this.

Recall

This thread is bait from the start. Just got to skip past it and ignore it.

I'm not sure why everything is either/or.

I like both games.

Man I can't, I just can't tell anymore. I'd like to say your joking but the stupidity of the things I've seen...I'm no longer surprised by anything. You need to me more transparent, I know it's sucks the fun out of it but you should consider it neccessary.

Sarcasm. :)

But actually, I'm surprised they green lit tf3 considering the huge drop off that has already happened.

It can't be any worse than PC. I'm currently working nights, so when I do play it's in the early hours. Attrition during that time has like 50 people, lol.

To this day I still haven't found a CTF game. Even waited 10 mins max at times. This was a week after launch.

And I love CTF on TF.

Hard to d when the OT is prematurely sent to Community purgatory . More posts/more active and less time on the market than BF1

ironcreed

Banned
I have zero problems finding games on Xbox One, but it the population is only hovering around 20k or so. I am hoping word of mouth will give it a slow build, because it sure as hell deserves it. I can't recall another game so great that has sailed under the radar so hard.

Valtýr

I like both but I don't think Titanfall 2's multiplayer is very sustainable. It's good for short stints but I don't see a long-term desire to continue playing. Whereas I can see coming back to BF1 for months.

Zemm

Unless you're on the Timbuktu or Siberia servers you get into games within 30 seconds on PC too, maybe not for something like Free for all, but amped hardpoint and attrition definitely. The waiting around in menus when playing BF1 is horrendous, something I'm glad TF2 hasn't had a problem with even with the smaller playerbase. Dice needs to do something about that.

Top Bottom